XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Why do the resale values of this car plummet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do the resale values of this car plummet?

I think that the Jaguar XK is one of the most beautiful cars on the market period, independent of price range. As I continue my search for a decent used 07 and up XK for around 30k it baffles me as to how much the price of these gorgeous cars drop compared to other vehicles. The resale values or BMW, Mercedes, and Audi for example seem to fare much better which I can't understand. Is this due to the perceived reliability issues that haunted jaguar in the past? Or that they are simply not as popular in the mainstream? For example, as I look for a decent lower mileage 07 XK within my budget it amazes me to see such cars as an audi a5, infiniti m, 5 series bmw, etc, with the same mileage going for the same price, etc. An 07 XK with around 55-70k miles goes for around 35k but so do the above. And the previous generation 97-06 resale prices also didn't reflect the high msrp sticker price, I guess that's somewhat of a positive for those of us who otherwise couldn't afford an 80k car but just wondering why this is as a used jaguar seems to be a steal compared to it's direct competition in it's price range, (bmw x6, etc)

Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti and Porsche are all very popular and accepted mainstream brands. Jaguar and Aston are not, and where the buyers and leasees of these new cars with full warranty don't need to even consider reliability and availability of service around the corner, the used buyer of them does. We know Jaguar makes a reliable car, but many wouldn't even bother to research that aspect, just gravitating instead to what they see everyone else buying. It's great for used car buyers with exceptional taste who venture off the well beaten and boring path!

Bruce

The following users liked this post:
Dirtboy (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,354 Likes on 3,482 Posts

Precisely why I bought mine used. No regrets, saved a bundle. Love it more today than when I bought it almost 3 years ago.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

A lot of has to do with Jaguar's past, absolutely!

Whether it was the reliability, or "gentleman's car" image, things have been changing since Tata starting investing money into the brand.

I personally don't mind the depreciation as i can have an ostentaticously upmarket car that i love for little.

Things will definitely change as the image changes. Jaguar needs to create even more awareness on how great their product line is.

I recently gave a friend a ride in my XF and he was blown away how much better it was than the competition. He kept saying "i didn't know Jaguar ....positive remark..... etc. He loved the exhaust note the most, as he couldn't believe the snarling/crackling/popping was coming out of a stock system on a NA XF

Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I honestly think that even as good as they are now, the best qualities about a Jag are the beauty, exclusiveness, and heritage of the car.

The average car buyer doesn't care about ANY of those things. For this kind of money, they want something precise, chart-topping, trendy, flashy, comparison-winning, and hands-off/care-free. In my opinion, Jaguars are very few of those things, and a used Jaguar especially is a tough sell for a lot of people!

My Jaguars may not have left me stranded anywhere (ok, once I had to get a jumpstart on my '83 XJ6 because I left the lights on), but they require almost constant attention and care. There is always a gremlin/annoyance that can be fixed. I think I'm starting to like that about the cars!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Because most of us here are the only ones with stones enough to buy a used one, greatly due to an arguably deserved past reputation.

There aren't enough of us to keep the price up, thank goodness.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Jaguar needs to market their cars as a long term investment like art or something of class that consumers will eventually equate with the brand. "You buy a Jag for the long haul". Plenty of history to support that. Think of all the pensioners with a 25+ old Jag in the driveway...

Perception and partly history has put a could over Jag reputation and it's going to be a long time before that changes. Face it, Jaguar is a niche brand with inconsistent dealer support/service. How many indy's are skilled in Jaguar repair?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Precisely why I bought mine used. No regrets, saved a bundle. Love it more today than when I bought it almost 3 years ago.
Totally agree with this post. I bought a 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible in late May 2013. It is in showroom condition, low miles 13,850 at time of purchase, 14,385 now. MSRP $103,000 paid $46,000 delivered to the door from Florida. This car was a leased car that went through a few lease contracts. No accidents and both the Carfax and AutoCheck confirmed the history of the car.

Get the VIN number of the used car you want to buy. Go to Home : Free VIN Decoder - Vehicle Identification Number Check and then input the VIN number. It will provide you with dealer cost and MSRP at time of the new sale. This will help. See New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews & Car Prices | Edmunds.com for an analysis of the "cost to own" for the year and model that you want to buy.

You will find massive depreciation during the first 3 years on the Jaguar brand. Thereafter the deprecaition slows to a reasonable amount annually.

I just bought a 2014 981 and the depreciation on the Porsche brand is moderate in the first year, then levels off to reasonable $$ amount in year 2 and beyond.

It's just the makeup of the Jaguar brand that has a massive depreciation for the first 3 years. To me, and my opinion only, it makes no sense to buy a new Jaguar unless your willing to keep it for an extended period of time or you have allot of money and the depreciation is not a factor to your overall net worth and wealth. Many individuals who buy this brand are in that situation. The money aspect does not matter. To other poor people like myself, the depreciation did matter, that's why I bought used. No regrets, I love the Jaguar. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned, and I plan to keep the Jaguar parked next to the 981 for some time.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Default Garbage in garbage out

The brand is basically junk. I bought a 2013 xkr convertible on August 30, in Texas. 485 miles on the clock. Paid 89,450 with msrp of 106550. New condition. Why the mark down? Seller from south Palm beach drove it on and off four months. Repeatedly hard starts. Long story short. Car was manufactured with a bad strter. car stopped running with 485 on the clock. Customer called tow company and had car taken to Del ray mercedes and immediately traded it in . Delray didnt even take it off the tow truck but sent it to the jag dealer 15 miles up the road. New starter put in. Del ray immediately sent to auction and bought by dealer from texas. Listed on internet for 15 mins and I bought it site unseen. Flew to texas and this car was cleaner than an operating room but fasteners holding engine cover on were cheaply made and 2 were missing. I drove the car bsck to that **** sphincter called chicago without a lick of a problem. Perception is reality for the previous owner. He sold an internet company for 85 million dollars and blew a pittance on a piece of junk and was nothing but disappointed. I can imagine he tells friends to stay away from this junk brand. BTW i was a mercedes repair tech before becoming the R.N. from hell

Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R.N. from Hell
The brand is basically junk. I bought a 2013 xkr convertible on August 30, in Texas. 485 miles on the clock. Paid 89,450 with msrp of 106550. New condition. Why the mark down? Seller from south Palm beach drove it on and off four months. Repeatedly hard starts. Long story short. Car was manufactured with a bad strter. car stopped running with 485 on the clock. Customer called tow company and had car taken to Del ray mercedes and immediately traded it in . Delray didnt even take it off the tow truck but sent it to the jag dealer 15 miles up the road. New starter put in. Del ray immediately sent to auction and bought by dealer from texas. Listed on internet for 15 mins and I bought it site unseen. Flew to texas and this car was cleaner than an operating room but fasteners holding engine cover on were cheaply made and 2 were missing. I drove the car bsck to that **** sphincter called chicago without a lick of a problem. Perception is reality for the previous owner. He sold an internet company for 85 million dollars and blew a pittance on a piece of junk and was nothing but disappointed. I can imagine he tells friends to stay away from this junk brand. BTW i was a mercedes repair tech before becoming the R.N. from hell
I love the story. BTW, I am a poor person from that little ritzsy suburb of Chicago called "Hinsdale", but love my XKR. I am sure you will love yours too. Just drive it down the "Miracle Mile" in Chicago and you will feel like you have $85 million also. Just don't drive it off Lake Shore Dr. into Lake Michigan.

You have a great sense of humor.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Past Jaguar reliability issues as well as some present ones with their line may very well be a factor in Jaguar's sharp depreciation. These perceptions do not change overnight. Look at Audi with their past "runaway" cars. That hurt them big time and it took time for people to forget. Now, relatively speaking, they make a pretty good product and their resale values reflect it. Jaguar might make a good XK (especially 2010+) but poor reliability still haunts their image and will take some time to change. Hopefully Tata will be a catalyst to turn the image around. Personally, as others have stated, I fall into the category of being appreciative of the horrible depreciation as giving me an opportunity to own a 3 year old XKR for half of it's original msrp. If the miles are low enough, it can be a long term ownership with hopefully minimum tales of mechanical woe. This shall be seen once I own my XKR.

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Default To richzak

I live in frankfort. I have worked in Shitcago for 34 years. Born in that corrupt garbage dump. I used to work at the dealer on Lagrange rd., north of the stevenson. I thought it was called the Mag Mile but after the flash mobs this summer it was Changed to the Mugger's Mile

Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R.N. from Hell
I live in frankfort. I have worked in Shitcago for 34 years. Born in that corrupt garbage dump. I used to work at the dealer on Lagrange rd., north of the stevenson. I thought it was called the Mag Mile but after the flash mobs this summer it was Changed to the Mugger's Mile
Well, welcome aboard to the Jaguar Forums. This site is so valuable to Jaguar brand owners. I think we could use many more members like you. Love the attitude.

I went to school with the daughter of the owner of Granger Olds, back then (LaGrange Rd and Old Rte 66), it was the good old days back then. Best thing about going back to the area is eating a few sliders (gut bombs) at White Castle right on the corner where you used to work.

Lothar52 (09-06-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Richzak. It's interesting that you have both an XKR and 981 in the collection. I have spent months on the 981 forums going back and forth with sooo many decisions and ultimately abandoned ship to what I thought were too many issues. I still loved the lines of the Cayman, but it is a new design with a new body,engine, and relatively new PDK. The most recent XK 2007+ and 2010+ has been around for awhile with many good reviews and happy owners. I guess, I'm really a grand tourer guy at my age. The Porsche is a great car and to have both is even better. Lucky you! I'm jealous. Now I can spend all my time searching for the ideal XKR!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the cost of maintenance and poor reliability. Have had 3 XK'S both Ford and Tata. They never could have been my primary drivers due to time in the shop. They still haven't learned to get fresh air into the car without it being heated by the engine. The electronic gremlins aren't as bad as with Lucas but the computer glitches are close. My 2012 will likely be my last Jag. My opinion goes for European luxury cars in general after owning Mercedes and BMW. Needless complexity leads to unreliability.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Marmil68
It's the cost of maintenance and poor reliability. Have had 3 XK'S both Ford and Tata. They never could have been my primary drivers due to time in the shop. They still haven't learned to get fresh air into the car without it being heated by the engine. The electronic gremlins aren't as bad as with Lucas but the computer glitches are close. My 2012 will likely be my last Jag. My opinion goes for European luxury cars in general after owning Mercedes and BMW. Needless complexity leads to unreliability.
You've been a member for 12 months with not a single post, but in the last 50 minutes you've blitzed 6 threads with negative posts about Jaguar in every one of them! Welcome to the forum.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 09-07-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Rahtok (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Word Bruce.

<shrugs> I love my XKR. Every car has complexity with electronics these days. Every old car has complexities with mechanicals. My XKR is about to turn 4, and the only issue I had was an infotainment software update to take care of a memory glitch about forgetting satellite presets. That's better than both my recent Nissan and a Toyota previous to that.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I honestly think that even as good as they are now, the best qualities about a Jag are the beauty, exclusiveness, and heritage of the car.

The average car buyer doesn't care about ANY of those things. For this kind of money, they want something precise, chart-topping, trendy, flashy, comparison-winning, and hands-off/care-free. In my opinion, Jaguars are very few of those things, and a used Jaguar especially is a tough sell for a lot of people!
I like your comments amcdonal86. Mercedes, BMW's, and Audi's are a dime a dozen in my neck of the woods. Notwithstanding their abilities and styles in their respective TOTL offerings, there is definitely a yawn factor that comes into the picture for me when I see something everywhere. The magic is lost.

The beauty and exclusiveness of Jaguars make them compelling to all on-lookers - regardless if a person is a car nut or not. I am completely taken aback by the number of people, of all ages, kids to seniors, who stare at my car in traffic, or smile, or point and give a thumbs or nod as I drive past. I get it - because I would do the same. It's not on every street corner, and it is therefore something one appreciates experiencing and pauses to savor the moment and feelings evoked when one passes by.

I have a running joke with my partner about the irony of owning one but feeling like I miss this experience of seeing it on the road as I am the one behind the wheel. Crazy I know

Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Off the topic for a moment......For true exclusivity with car ownership whether it's a supercar (Lambo,Ferrari,R8,Aston) or a more affordable Jaguar XK, there is always the tradeoff of the bulletproof reliability found in the mass produced no drama cars like Lexus and Infiniti. Try to find a thumbs up for driving a GS350,IS350,M37,G37,etc. It comes with the territory of owning a car that is not mass produced and is not seen a dozen times a day on the road.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
I have a running joke with my partner about the irony of owning one but feeling like I miss this experience of seeing it on the road as I am the one behind the wheel. Crazy I know
Not so crazy. I was thinking the same thing the other day. One way to cure this is to drive by mirrored buildings and watch yourself drive by...

That's when I see how lucky I am!

GritsNCornbread (09-16-2013)

Quick Reply: Why do the resale values of this car plummet?