XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Why do the resale values of this car plummet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default what's in a car....

Originally Posted by richzak
I love the story. BTW, I am a poor person from that little ritzsy suburb of Chicago called "Hinsdale", but love my XKR. I am sure you will love yours too. Just drive it down the "Miracle Mile" in Chicago and you will feel like you have $85 million also. Just don't drive it off Lake Shore Dr. into Lake Michigan.

You have a great sense of humor.
Every time i get in my XKR i look like brad pit....then i get out i'm fat and old............it's weird.

The following 2 users liked this post by bfarrell:
Lothar52 (09-18-2013), Muddydog (09-17-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In 2009 I bought my 08 xk with 7000km on it for 55000. That was over 30000 down from its original price

Old 09-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I honestly think that even as good as they are now, the best qualities about a Jag are the beauty, exclusiveness, and heritage of the car.

The average car buyer doesn't care about ANY of those things. For this kind of money, they want something precise, chart-topping, trendy, flashy, comparison-winning, and hands-off/care-free. In my opinion, Jaguars are very few of those things, and a used Jaguar especially is a tough sell for a lot of people!
I don't know... I think the R's especially stack up extremely well. Especially with a financial consideration. The 2010+ XKR is faster than a DBS...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I don't know... I think the R's especially stack up extremely well. Especially with a financial consideration. The 2010+ XKR is faster than a DBS...
When I bought my XKR, I was cross shopping it with an 07 and an 09 Vantage hardtop. Not only did the Jag come in at the same price as the 07 and 30k cheaper than an 09, but it did have more power and was the convertible I was craving. I still love a Vantage and want one some day, but I'm VERY pleased with my XKR. Plus... saved money. Insurance with the Jag was half of what the Vantage would have been.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R.N. from Hell
I live in frankfort. I have worked in Shitcago for 34 years. Born in that corrupt garbage dump. I used to work at the dealer on Lagrange rd., north of the stevenson. I thought it was called the Mag Mile but after the flash mobs this summer it was Changed to the Mugger's Mile

moved to scottsdale many years ago. I learned about crooked chicago was when I worked the at an area public golf course. it was sopranos on a mini scale. I was all a teenager and at the time. I look back at that place and think.... geez

Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
When I bought my XKR, I was cross shopping it with an 07 and an 09 Vantage hardtop. Not only did the Jag come in at the same price as the 07 and 30k cheaper than an 09, but it did have more power and was the convertible I was craving. I still love a Vantage and want one some day, but I'm VERY pleased with my XKR. Plus... saved money. Insurance with the Jag was half of what the Vantage would have been.

I am in the same camp. eventually will like to own a vantage. but salsa red vert I am super happy for now. I plan to keep this for 3-4 yrs id say

Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm planning to keep the Jag for... well, for as long as the car can remain functional. The mechanicals should be reasonable, and with an aluminum structure and body panels -- she'll never rust. This is a car that will look way better than it should when its 40 years old. And some beauty just perseveres...

Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car Prices

The problem is that the average person is still hung up with the horror stories of the pre-Ford cars (largely true). This has still put a crimp in used car lots and dealers trying to unload their Jags. My first Jag was a 1961 which I paid $1600 back in 1970 when I graduated. It sat in the shop most of the 6 months that I had it. So I bought a brand new 1970 Corvette which I enjoyed for 25 years til marriage issues forced the sale. I wish I still had both cars. Did not regret selling the 61 until a few years ago when prices went thru the roof. I recently purchased a 2002 XJR 100 which the dealer practically begged me to take off his hands as they were not getting any nibbles on it. At the time they did not realize it was a LTD 100. It remains a fantastic car and I got it for a song. My recent aquisition is a 1995 XJS Conv. in magnificent condition and very reliable. Its prices are down due to the problems with older XJSs. I get plenty of thumbs up with that car as they are quite rare on the road. I expect that the 2007 XKR will be a great car and much sought after car down the road due to the great performance and reliability and styling. This will be my next Jag - as prices tumble - unfortunately for previous owners. I smile every time I am behind the wheel of the XJS. My 88 BMW 635csi also gets many thumbs up - due to the relative rarity of these cars on the road.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by katana man
I expect that the 2007 XKR will be a great car and much sought after car down the road due to the great performance and reliability and styling. This will be my next Jag - as prices tumble - unfortunately for previous owners.
The depreciation on the XK/XKR's are heavy in the first 3 years, then thereafter the average depreciation is only about $4000 to $5000 per year.

At this current time, the best deals are on Jaguar XK/XKR's in the 2010 model and lower. The depreciation factor on 2010 and lower are minimal at best.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
The depreciation on the XK/XKR's are heavy in the first 3 years, then thereafter the average depreciation is only about $4000 to $5000 per year.

At this current time, the best deals are on Jaguar XK/XKR's in the 2010 model and lower. The depreciation factor on 2010 and lower are minimal at best.
In other words, any 2010 XK I buy today will be dropping 10 big ones in 2 years? That's still declining at a fairly sharp rate. I would say an 07 or 08 is a safer investment although it loses the HP and some other frills. Bottom line is, it's best to get any XK as fresh, new, and with the lowest mileage possible to avoid out of pocket expenses down the road. It's really a wash.....pay now or pay later.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

There are obviously a number of reasons older cars are worth less and cost less to purchase. Whether the lower price represents better value depends on what you place value on. I bought a very low mileage current spec head office car with 3 1/2 years warranty left, saved $35k, and that was great. When the warranty expires and I sell the car it will be a very different proposition for the next owner, and his initial purchase price will reflect that.

Now if I don't find something I like better, or the next generation of XKR makes this one an instant collectible, then I'll probably keep it with the confidence of knowing its maintenance history and drive a fair weather classic for hopefully next to nothing!

But aside from all that, I'm not sure the XK actually depreciates more than some other cars in its class.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

5K per year is just the cost of owning a car.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
You've been a member for 12 months with not a single post, but in the last 50 minutes you've blitzed 6 threads with negative posts about Jaguar in every one of them! Welcome to the forum.

Bruce
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry if I have come across totally negative. Jags are beautiful cars, drive beautifully and have wonderful character. These were the aspects of the cars that kept me coming back. However it's like being married to a super model. They are beautiful to look at but can be high maintenance and sometimes be a pain in the rear.

2012 Jag Xk conv
2007 jag Xk conv sold
1999 Jag XK-8 conv sold
2001 BMW 525 sold gladly
2010 Mercedes GL Bluetec diesel
2013 Ford Escape
2011 Chevy Cruze Eco

Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
5K per year is just the cost of owning a car.
You got it. You understand. Can't own a car for free on an annual basis, there is always a cost, and depreciation is a cost of owning.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

The reality is all the competitors depreciate as much or more.
my option to my 09 XKR was a 04 twin turbo 911 that had depreciated over 100 grand.
and the car was pristine. A 05 merc. SL 55 AMG also pristine was selling 70 grand below sticker...... The XKR is a rare and valued automobile and its depreciation no different than its competition.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 AM

The car is a luxury to have and not practical to own in anyway. There is no way to justify this car - especially not an R - in terms of financial validation.

My advice is to buy the best example you can afford and place the value in knowing the history of the car. There is a price to be paid for having something current. A car this caliber that's 10 years old is far less expensive but the new v6 mustangs have better performance. Remember when 300 hp was insane? Remember when a 14 sec 1/4 mile time for a stock car was impressive? Cars are getting so fast today and there is so much money being put into development. Look at cars like the GTR, that 0-60 time is all about computers driving the car to maximize HP more so than simply hp/tq numbers. You're paying for the latest technology.

One of my reasons for buying it is thinking about any model 2 door Jag that is ugly today... there are none. I'd eventually like to have a 2005 XKR as well sitting next to my 2010. Maybe then get a 1990ish model once my garage is completed. Any XK/R will always look good and is not trendy like so many other cars coming out now. The Merc's are looking more like camry's and the new M6 looks like a giant lego set.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

At some point, a car reaches a point/age where it doesn't matter how fast it was--it only matters how timeless it is. Is it unique? Is it cool?

Go to any local cars and coffee type event. Many of the coolest cars there aren't the fastest or most famous cars of their era. Yet they are so much more collectible and interesting than a new Mustang V6.

I think this makes the XK a great value, as it is timeless and relatively unique! And I do think that the prices for a nice example of an X150 (at least an XKR) will bottom out around $15k, so if you buy one in a few years for $15k, I think you could do a lot worse in terms of automotive investments!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 932 Posts

Maybe then get a 1990ish model once my garage is completed.
A manual, inline 6 with no sunroof!!! A buddy of mine has a red one and it's a stunner. He recently put in an inline supercharged engine from an XJR.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I looked at the Vantage but feel like Aston needs some updating. Their V12 which just got variable valve timing a couple of years ago is less powerful than the XKR's engine and the V8 is a version of a 20 year old Jaguar engine. Aston's ARE very beautiful but do not handle as well or are as much of a GT car as the XKR. Aston's are clear status symbols for sure but the jag is a better car.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 932 Posts

I looked at the Vantage but feel like Aston needs some updating. Their V12 which just got variable valve timing a couple of years ago is less powerful than the XKR's engine and the V8 is a version of a 20 year old Jaguar engine. Aston's ARE very beautiful but do not handle as well or are as much of a GT car as the XKR. Aston's are clear status symbols for sure but the jag is a better car.
I too would love an Aston, but I am committed to my XK for at least 3 more years and then who knows? Aston, XKRS, or who knows? Maybe Alfa will have something worth looking at in the USA? Vantage and DB9 are both awesome looking, but are they that much ahead of the XK?

Quick Reply: Why do the resale values of this car plummet?