XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Why no manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014 | 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xkrmd
All the technology stuff aside there is still a certain driving pleasure that I think can only be had with a manual transmision. I don't care about how fast it shifts my time on the track is for pure enjoyment and as I frequently say to my track buddies even if I came in first there isn't much likely hood that I will be reitring on the winnings or sponsorships.
I just love the feeling of a proper heal-toe down shift going into a corner or being able to nudge the rev limiter for a second with out the darn computer telling me I don't know what I'm doing and shifting to the next gear.
You'll probably be able to find a choice of cars, but due to vastly fewer people sharing your views you'll have a smallish choice and they may be expensive. The car makers will mostly cater for the vast majority, no surprise there!

I can remember well when people laughed at new-fangled motorbikes which were easy to start. The makers who stuck with the kick start pretty much all went out of business. Yet there was still a small minority who wanted the old way.

Old 07-27-2014 | 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
You'll probably be able to find a choice of cars, but due to vastly fewer people sharing your views you'll have a smallish choice and they may be expensive. The car makers will mostly cater for the vast majority, no surprise there!

I can remember well when people laughed at new-fangled motorbikes which were easy to start. The makers who stuck with the kick start pretty much all went out of business. Yet there was still a small minority who wanted the old way.

That's true I was holding out for an f-type in a stick but ended up with an Evora and love it. '
The XKR will be replaced soon with a Vantage V8,
I think it's a car phase I'm going through I just lost the feeling for the auto's and paddle's and am look back to the romance of driving in my youth. 5 yrs from now it will probably swing back.

Old 07-27-2014 | 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xkrmd
That's true I was holding out for an f-type in a stick but ended up with an Evora and love it. '
The XKR will be replaced soon with a Vantage V8,
I think it's a car phase I'm going through I just lost the feeling for the auto's and paddle's and am look back to the romance of driving in my youth. 5 yrs from now it will probably swing back.
Same here. I am replacing with XK with Evora or Evora S at some point; most likely the spring. I want the car to be more of an event than it is.

Old 07-27-2014 | 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

I bought this car to cruise in the hills and mountain roads in the north east. There are tons of back country roads with twisties and hills and etc. My days of turn and shift and downshift are not exciting to me . The ride is better and with the top down it's enjoyable. I drive it and my bride drives it and it is fun . Out of my 55 years of driving this is my 15th car. out of that 7 were stick and the rest auto boxes. I haven't had a convertible for 35 years so this car is for weekend trips and local drives and not to mention something to carry my golf clubs in. We all need to do what we like and we all have our own thought on what we like. So enjoy the ride.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (07-28-2014)