XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Will F-Type kill the XK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I've heard from 'sources' that the next XK (due 2014/5) will be even bigger and more expensive than the current XK range.

The fact that my current XKR is the perfect size (maybe already slightly too big) and still looks great, combined with my disappointment of the F-Type ( it looks like a Honda S2000 with an Audi grill, and some of the interior is made of such cheap plastic it's literally insulting your intelligence for paying that much every time you get in it ) all keeps making me really appreciate my current car even more.

Thanks Jag for continuing to save me many thousands by not making the F-Type look even half as good as a Lyonheart K (google it), as I would then definitely have had to immediately rush out and get another mortgage.

It will be intersting to see what the new XK looks like because after the 2012 XKR-S nose and the many interviews I've seen of Ian Callum talking about the F-Type, I'm wondering if his best days weren't the DB9/S, 2007 XK and CX-75 and since then that maybe he's lost the plot.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-17-2013 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (02-11-2021)
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
It will be intersting to see what the new XK looks like because after the 2012 XKR-S nose and the many interviews I've seen of Ian Callum talking about the F-Type, I'm wondering if his best days weren't the DB9/S, 2007 XK and CX-75 and since then that he's definately lost the plot.
The pictures of the what XK is supposed to look like have an XF-XJ styled front on it.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Thanks Jag for continuing to save me many thousands by not making the F-Type look even half as good as a Lyonheart K (google it), as I would then definitely have had to immediately rush out and get another mortgage.
Good god. Never seen the Lyonheart before. Now thinking who I have to kill to get one. That. Is. Gorgeous.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Meh, that Lyonheart K technically has a lot of features of the original E-Type, but I think they missed the mark in actually capturing the essence of E-Type and the Jaguar brand. I think the Eagle Speedster comes much closer.

Then again, maybe the Eagle Speedster takes it a step too far and is almost a replica:

Bottom line is, I think some people are being overdramatic about the F-Type's styling. It is definitely distinctive, although not my favorite... yet. I also hated the XK that I have the first time I saw the design in 2006. But I grew to love it and eventually bought one!

Attached Thumbnails Will F-Type kill the XK?-eagle-e-type-speedster-01.jpg   Will F-Type kill the XK?-ft_013_052_uk_jdx_hero1-device_desktop-1366x460.jpg  

Last edited by amcdonal86; 07-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

There can be no doubt that the F-Type is one beautiful machine. I believe that XK/XKR will have it place. The ideal driver for the F-Type is a medium sized driver and under 6' in height. If you really like the look of the 2 seater, and are medium build and under 6", this is the car I would own over the XK/XKR, personally.

There is lots of hype and advertisement right now on the F-Type. The big test comes in 6-12 months when we start to see resale F-Types on the market and what they are priced at. Most Jaguar dealers that I have spoken to, will not come off the MSRP sticker price. Some are inflating the MSRP and selling over the sticker.

I believe strongly that you will see the 2014 F-type in the secondary market in mid 2014 in the $75,000 to $80,000 range for cars that originally sold for $100,000-$105,000.

One thing about Jaguars, once they are driven off the dealers lot, the depreciation is enormous for the first 3 years. The F-Type will be no different.

If you fit in the F-Type comfortably, the F-Type would be my 1st choice over the XK/XKR.

As an owner of an XKR convertible, I strongly believe that the XK/XKR will be around for many years to come, of course with modest changes in design and changes in technology.

Bottom line, both F-type and XK/XKR's are beautiful driving machines, elegant, and distinctive.

ralphwg (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Great article from MotorAuthority comparing the F-Type to the XKR. A good read and it doesn't take too long.

Deciding Between The 2014 Jaguar F-Type & XK: 30 Days Of F-Type

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Matt in Houston (07-16-2013), u102768 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 936 Likes on 613 Posts

I prefer the XK over the F-type because of the back storage space. If you take the f-type out and happen to need to carry something or purchase something and have a passenger the passenger will be upset with having the luggage on their lap. I would personally struggle with the lack of space in the F-type. Consequently, after selling my 175 I'm looking at getting an XK R-S and not an F-type. The F-type will definitely not kill the GT.

Edit: I'm concerned about the look of the XK replacement. I hope it doesn't look like an old man's Bentley GT. The pictures I've seen look horrible (XF sedan looking front on a GT doesn't do it for me and would make me look at other brands).

Last edited by DGL; 07-17-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I had my chance to see and sit in the F-type yesterday at the dealer. I am 6' tall and a trim 185lbs and felt cramped in the car enough where I was not even interested taking it for a test drive. Too bad, it is not a small car but, the people room is small in it.

Like other late Jag models this showroom car also displayed the "Low Battery Warning", indicating that Jaguar thinks that the electrical management system does not need changing. One of the reasons my XJL is at the dealer right now is the frequent "Low Battery Warnings".

Albert

Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I think the target market for an occupant and cargo challenged high-end 2 seater must be extremely small. Discerning buyers that can afford a car in this price range, and at least one other very nice car to use when the F isn't suitable, may be more likely to go with a 2+2 or bona fide GT for their fun car. Even the 911 has a small back seat. Could be a tough sell.

Jaguar wants to appeal to a younger buyer for it than the XK I believe, which will hopefully be a success because it doesn't sound like the XK age group represented here are prepared to give up the luxury and utility of a little extra space any time soon. They may also be unwilling to give up much of the elegance that makes the XK so desirable.

And where lots of enthusiasts buy sports cars because they are so unique and special (like the XKE was), and I've done that numerous times myself, I'm personally not feeling that way about the F-Type. I was however starting to feel it when I thought it was going to be more like the C-X16 Coupe concept...a high performance hybrid, with electric motors on the front wheels making it AWD, KERS push to pass... and hopefully some decent cargo space under the hatch. Now all that would have made it very special!

Edit: But we already know the XK is being changed in ways that will differentiate it from the F-Type, so both should exist happily. I'm more interested in what the XK will look like. Maybe E-Type history will repeat itself and they'll also offer the F-Type as a 2+2

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The pictures of the what XK is supposed to look like have an XF-XJ styled front on it.
Oh that doesn't sound good at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Would you happen to have a link to that picture?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
Would you happen to have a link to that picture?

Thanks!
It's in the XK forum some where...

Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have recently seen that there are 8 used F-Types already available in the secondary market.

You can find these at:

Find Your Car: Used Jaguar F-TYPE Listings Near Las Cruces, NM 88001 - AutoTrader.com

It will be very interesting to see how many of these new model F-Types surface in the secondary market in the months ahead.

Many dealers have new F-types waiting to be sold on their lots.

This will be one model interesting to watch and watch the pricing in the secondary market.

In many cases there is now no need to wait for an F-type as these cars are now readily available to be sold on dealers lots.

Could the hype of the F-Type be fading quickly?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I suspect they will sell better at used car pricing...assuming substantial depreciation!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I have recently seen that there are 8 used F-Types already available in the secondary market.

You can find these at:

Find Your Car: Used Jaguar F-TYPE Listings Near Las Cruces, NM 88001 - AutoTrader.com

It will be very interesting to see how many of these new model F-Types surface in the secondary market in the months ahead.

Many dealers have new F-types waiting to be sold on their lots.

This will be one model interesting to watch and watch the pricing in the secondary market.

In many cases there is now no need to wait for an F-type as these cars are now readily available to be sold on dealers lots.

Could the hype of the F-Type be fading quickly?
Interesting that you said that! I did notice that last time I was at my Jaguar dealer--and that was a couple months ago when the car was pretty much just released.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As many people have said here already, Jaguars (especially XK's), have a huge depreciation once driven off the car lot. For years Jaguar have registered XK's themselves to keep new sales numbers up, I'd say over 50% of one year old Xk's for sale are ex Jag cars here in the UK.

With this in mind I think they have dropped a ball on the pricing of the F-Type. They've fallen into their own hype of the car believing its an E-Type replacement. The whole ethos of the E-type was an affordable sports car, when released it was pure bang for buck and why it was so successful.

The same hype was put around the release of the Aston Martin Vantage, the press where all over it even doing the same comparison AM vs Porsche. Within a few years that faded and prices dropped very heavily on the used market.

The car is far too expensive. I've driven it, stroked it in the flesh. It's not worth the price tag at all, especially when you go and view other cars in same price range. Yes the hype is fading, they F-Type already seems old as they have been pushing press for well over a year.
All it will take is a couple of new models from other manufactures with cheaper price tag and the hype then lands on their doorstep leaving Jaguar back to the original problem they had with the XK. These other new cars will do exactly what the E-type originally did, give you more bang for buck making you buy them and save $$$$$.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope not I dont think the two cars even appeal to tha same people for the most part

Barry Leftwich (02-11-2021)
Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

I really don't think that the Jaguar F-Type will kill the XK or XKR series as they are different cars. I realize this after adding a new 2014 Porsche 981 (Cayman) to my car collection. The Porsche 981 is rated as competitive to the F-type. I can now attest that the XKR that I own, (convertible, Portfolio Edition) is so much more of the GT style than what I had realized. The Porsche 981 that I own, and the new Jaguar F-type is a real "sports car".

However as with any brand, so after the launch of a new model, they can quickly be found in the secondary marketplace. Now we are already starting to see used F-Types in th secondary market.

Take a look at my Porsche 981 vs my XKR in the links in my signature to compare. There is quite a difference between the two styles of GT vs. 2 seater.

Now 16 used F-Types now on sale via autotrader.com.

You searched for:
Car Type:Used Cars
Body Style:Convertible
Make/Model:Jaguar F-TYPE
Year Range:2014
Seller Type:All Sellers

Many dealers will use a new model as a "launch" vehicle, run up the mileage and count it as "new", because launch cars at dealerships never get registered. IMO any car on a dealers lot with 200 miles or more should be considered "used".

16 Used currently for sale just on autotrader alone, I suspect more to follow. This fact makes the aftermarket purchase much more attractive then buying new, unless you order or build the car with your exact options.

Last edited by richzak; 09-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The SUV

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I'm not sure why the company would need a GT car if sales of the F-type take off. They would have a luxury town car, a family sedan and a sporty 2-seater. I do see room for a slick styled Jaguar SUV to compete with the Porsche. Obviously they could borrow heavily from the LR Evoke.
your prediction is true. The SUV is amazing

Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Holee smokes. ANOTHER thread resurrected from the dead. Seven years dead.
Course, a timely update on a question posed in the past about conjecture may be okay.

Quick Reply: Will F-Type kill the XK?