XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Will F-Type kill the XK?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 05:08 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
Guys,

Just wondering if any of you were also worried that the F-type might mean the beginning of the end for the XK. The main complaint I keep hearing from reviewers is the lack of space in the XK's back seat, that the design is aging and that Jag should just do away with it. Nooo I say. Those tiny back seats are what allowed me to convince my wife that we would be able to fit our 2 kids (5 and 7) and all go for a top-down Sunday drive. Which we did today for the first time, and they are now the coolest kids on the block, their words. It may be a niche but the only other 4 passenger convertibles that remotely compare performance wise, are way less sporty (E550 Vert, S5 Vert, etc), or way more expensive (911 vert, Maserati GranTurismo, Aston, etc).

The rarity of the XK on the road and its timeless style will surely ensure the car's desirability for years to come, even if they do halt production, however I would really hate to see Jag 2+2's disappear entirely...

If you agree, say it loud... Jaguar, Keep The XK Alive!
I hope tf not.If F-Type become the sports car Icon for Jaguar,im gone seriously start saving all my money just to get my real dream car that's a Dodge Viper cause I LOVE the styling of the XK and how it looks like an Aston Martin and if they do away with that body style then im gone do away with Jaguar and it's gone be GOOD BYE for me even tho they probably won't miss me anyway lol

Old 02-11-2021, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
No, I don't think Jaguar is going to kill the XK, but they might make it more GT than it already is, something, perhaps, similar to the Bentley Continental. I hope they don't go that route though.
What they SHOULD do is make the XK as big as a maserati Gran turismo so you can fit people in the back.That way the back seats will finally become useful

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Jaguar's styling has taken a nose dive since the F Type came out. F Type was their last attractive car. Jaguar is going for a different consumer than had for decades. Don't know if that is a good move or not.

Barry Leftwich (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
What they SHOULD do is make the XK as big as a maserati Gran turismo so you can fit people in the back.That way the back seats will finally become useful
That's why I also have a 5.0LSC XJ SWB. Turning the X150 into a true 4-seater would change its proportions and ruin the design.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That's why I also have a 5.0LSC XJ SWB. Turning the X150 into a true 4-seater would change its proportions and ruin the design.
it ALREADY is a 4 seater...The seats just aren't big enough to fit people in the back which they should.Making the car a little bigger for back seat leg room shouldn't hurt a thing and if you try to fit a kid in the back since kids are the only 1s that can barely fit back there,they hate the car cause of how small it is,and kids are the future of becoming Jaguar fans and I don't think no backseat leg room should leave a mark on their childhood if you try to impress them with a Jaguar.It already happened to my niece when i tried to fit her back there and now she hates me and my XKR now lol

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-11-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:52 PM

it ALREADY is a 4 seater...The seats just aren't big enough to fit people in the back which they should.Making the car a little bigger for back seat leg room shouldn't hurt a thing and if you try to fit a kid in the back since kids are the only 1s that can barely fit back there,they hate the car cause of how small it is,and kids are the future of becoming Jaguar fans and I don't think no backseat leg room should leave a mark on their childhood if you try to impress them with a Jaguar.It already happened to my niece when i tried to fit her back there and now she hates me and my XKR now lol
If you get a good look at a Maserati Gran Turismo,the car looks very sporty and good for its size and you can fit 4 people in it.But the XK looks very similar and should rival the body style of the Maserati.I really think the XK will look awesome if it looked a little bigger than what it is and most likely make more people fans of them cause they can get a more affordable exotic sports car when it becomes used if they go that route

Old 02-11-2021, 10:36 PM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Just not the same

If you get a good look at a Maserati Gran Turismo,the car looks very sporty and good for its size and you can fit 4 people in it.But the XK looks very similar and should rival the body style of the Maserati.I really think the XK will look awesome if it looked a little bigger than what it is and most likely make more people fans of them cause they can get a more affordable exotic sports car when it becomes used if they go that route
I’ll have to respectfully disagree. The GT Convertible looks good with the top down, but becomes a cumbersome clod with the top up. The 7” in wheelbase added to the rear seat, while functional in rear seat area, definitely changes the Grand Touring aspect of the car to me. While I understand the need to take the kids, a true Grand Tourer is 2 people in comfort going long distances in all situations imho. Worse, the Mas has a trunk sized for a roll of toilet paper, not luggage for 2, much less 4. 6 cu ft vs 10 cu ft!

Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by fxdwg
I’ll have to respectfully disagree. The GT Convertible looks good with the top down, but becomes a cumbersome clod with the top up. The 7” in wheelbase added to the rear seat, while functional in rear seat area, definitely changes the Grand Touring aspect of the car to me. While I understand the need to take the kids, a true Grand Tourer is 2 people in comfort going long distances in all situations imho. Worse, the Mas has a trunk sized for a roll of toilet paper, not luggage for 2, much less 4. 6 cu ft vs 10 cu ft!
oh wow!That is pretty bad if you can't fit nothing in the trunk.Well let's try a different route then...Big as a Mustang!Now you can fit people in the back of those and have lots of trunk space

Old 02-12-2021, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 909 Posts

The seats just aren't big enough to fit people in the back which they should.
I disagree. My kids have all grown up and flown the nest now but I used to regularly play taxi in my '07 XKR to my daughter and a friend or two when she was in her late teens.

I have posted this before but this is me and my three adults kids in the XKR. We all had to compromise on space and I wouldn't inflict it on them for more than 15 or 20 minutes but you can actually fit full size adults in the back.

The main issue in the back of the coupe is headroom but that shouldn't be an issue in a convertible with the roof down.

Barry Leftwich (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=u102768;2352834]I disagree. My kids have all grown up and flown the nest now but I used to regularly play taxi in my '07 XKR to my daughter and a friend or two when she was in her late teens.

I have posted this before but this is me and my three adults kids in the XKR. We all had to compromise on space and I wouldn't inflict it on them for more than 15 or 20 minutes but you can actually fit full size adults in the back.

The main issue in the back of the coupe is headroom but that shouldn't be an issue in a convertible with the roof down.[/QUOTE compromising space????????????lol The goal is to NOT compromise space at all where everybody can be seated comfortably for long trips or anywhere you need to go if you want to drive everybody in the XK.But we all know deep down that this is a sham and i'll tell you why...The seats in the back are fake and very uncomfortable,there is a lot of pain behind those smiles and they not fooling nobody lol,it's cringe worthy to hear your kids were enjoying themselves riding in the back of the XK.The car is very cool and that's why i have 1 and it's cool to feel lucky enough to ride in it,but the comfort zone for people in the back will always be something to laugh at if jaguar don't correct this in the next generation if they make them again.But on another note,If you can fit people in the back like that,it look like the Hard top got more leg room in it than the convertible do cause mine a convertible and you have to slide the seats all the way up to fit people in the back

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-12-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

The goal is to NOT compromise space at all where everybody can be seated comfortably for long trips or anywhere you need to go if you want to drive everybody in the XK.
You have bought the wrong car if you are expecting to comfortably fit 4 up on long trips but they are perfectly usable for occasional use and a lot more than the parcel shelf that people seem to make them out to be.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
You have bought the wrong car if you are expecting to comfortably fit 4 up on long trips but they are perfectly usable for occasional use and a lot more than the parcel shelf that people seem to make them out to be.
let me start off by saying you are really misinformed to grasp the concept of the discussion that was a whole other story to discuss the leg room for the next generation of the XK.Right now everybody is pretty much satisfied with the way the XK is cause that's just how they made and pretty much nothing you can do about it and it suits me just fine since i'm by myself most of the time anyway.But if i end up having a family of my own 1 day or something and i plan on getting the next generation XK if they make 1,i'm hoping the back seats finally become useful where everybody can seat comfortably

Old 02-12-2021, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

let me start off by saying you are really misinformed to grasp the concept of the discussion that was a whole other story to discuss the leg room for the next generation of the XK.Right now everybody is pretty much satisfied with the way the XK is cause that's just how they made and pretty much nothing you can do about it and it suits me just fine since i'm by myself most of the time anyway.But if i end up having a family of my own 1 day or something and i plan on getting the next generation XK if they make 1,i'm hoping the back seats finally become useful where everybody can seat comfortably
Buy a minivan. If you try to start your family in the back seat of an XK, you won't have any offspring.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Buy a minivan. If you try to start your family in the back seat of an XK, you won't have any offspring.
well it only make sense if i have more than 2 kids

Old 02-13-2021, 04:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Xk

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
From what I've heard this will be the case. But what worries me is what will be the price of the new XK? Look at the huge price tag of the F-Type + Jag now charging a fortune for equipment that came standard on the XK.
The all new XK could be the same price of the Aston Martin DB9, a very silly move...I expect most current XK owners bought their cars as they where great value for money, especially compared to rivals like the DB9.

Xk is a good car to own I had nothing but fun driving a well made comfortable machine that lets the owner become part of it the comfort of the ride to be able to feel the road and drive. enjoying going where ever you want with a machine that just needs to be driven yes it’s has it’s problems mostly it’s driver error this is my daily driver even my boss tells me he doesn’t pay me enough money for me to own a Jaguar So I asked for a pay raise not gonna happen he is the Jorge Jefferson cheep *** man but I get in my car and forget everything I took automotive classes and do most of all my own repairs the xk is very EZ to fix not so complicated to work on this car is not for everyone if you don’t have any mechanical skills be ready to have a deep pockets and the love for this car *** thrilling *** ride in my motorcycle can’t compare but I enjoy just as much I feel blessed to be part of this forum to read your reviews and how you feel about a cars that just means so much to me but the XK was and is my dream car never give up on your cars be like Jhon wick with his mustang no matter how bad it is comes down to the love for your car.

Barry Leftwich (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 04:53 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

well it only make sense if i have more than 2 kids
Many brands/models of GT cars have 2 effectively unusable back seats crammed in. MY understanding is this is solely because at some time in the US market only, that makes it qualify as "not a sportscar" so insurance is (or was originally) significantly cheaper.
If you look back at the original XK models they don't have back seats at all, and even as late as the E-type, the only ones that had them were the relatively rare "2+2" variant which was only ever popular in the US market. Sure when my son was 6 years old he could sit back there comfortably, but no normally size adult can, at least for anything more than a 5 minute trip and the passenger being happy to do without a lot of their legroom.
I think it's well understood that the XK was never actually intended to be a (generally usable) 4-seater. If anyone bought an XK thinking it was actually designed/intended to carry 4 adults comfortably and would fill that need, then sorry but they should have done their homework first, and probably should have bought an XJ instead.

Last edited by JustNiz; 02-13-2021 at 05:09 PM.
ralphwg (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Many brands/models of GT cars have 2 effectively unusable back seats crammed in. MY understanding is this is solely because at some time in the US market only, that makes it qualify as "not a sportscar" so insurance is (or was originally) significantly cheaper.
If you look back at the original XK models they don't have back seats at all, and even as late as the E-type, the only ones that had them were the relatively rare "2+2" variant which was only ever popular in the US market. Sure when my son was 6 years old he could sit back there comfortably, but no normally size adult can, at least for anything more than a 5 minute trip and the passenger being happy to do without a lot of their legroom.
I think it's well understood that the XK was never actually intended to be a (generally usable) 4-seater. If anyone bought an XK thinking it was actually designed/intended to carry 4 adults comfortably and would fill that need, then sorry but they should have done their homework first, and probably should have bought an XJ instead.
i don't even like sedans,so why would i buy an XJ?So why bother putting backseats in the XK if they gone be fake...Does that really make a lot of sense to you?Since the seats are there,why can't they be real?I feel like the little mexican girl that helped her little sister blow out her birthday candles lmao

Old 02-14-2021, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

i don't even like sedans,so why would i buy an XJ?So why bother putting backseats in the XK if they gone be fake...Does that really make a lot of sense to you?Since the seats are there,why can't they be real?
Because they aren't fake! The person who started this thread did so because people like you can't see the point of the rear seats. Get yourself a family and you might actually understand.

If I had an F Type I would be restricted to one passenger whether I liked it or not. With the XK I have the option to fit up to four people in the car. It might not be totally comfortable for everyone but at least I can take more than one passenger if I have to. That has worked well for me and is why I am in my 8th year of driving an XKR.

Being a strict two seater is one of the things that holds me back about buying an F Type because my Jags are daily drivers, not toys. They need to fit my life style which includes occasionally taking more than one passenger and having a decent amount of rear storage for all my sailing gear when I go sailing.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by GGabriel
No doubt. The XK will become a 4 seater. The XK tried to be both which was it's disadvantage. Now with the F Type filling the roll of a sports car the XK can be allowed to grow in size. Judging by Ian Callums work on the last 4 Jag's I don't think we need to be concerned with how good it will look, and being aluminum it's won't grow much in weight. Look at the weight difference between a XJ and XJL. It's not noticable.
Amen!It's what I been trying to say all along.If anybody wanted a very small sports car that's guaranteed to only seat 2 people,i'm pretty sure nobody have a problem going for the smallest miata they can find,or the Corvette,or Ferrari's and Lambo's if they can afford 1 lol

Old 02-14-2021, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
Because they aren't fake! The person who started this thread did so because people like you can't see the point of the rear seats. Get yourself a family and you might actually understand.

If I had an F Type I would be restricted to one passenger whether I liked it or not. With the XK I have the option to fit up to four people in the car. It might not be totally comfortable for everyone but at least I can take more than one passenger if I have to. That has worked well for me and is why I am in my 8th year of driving an XKR.

Being a strict two seater is one of the things that holds me back about buying an F Type because my Jags are daily drivers, not toys. They need to fit my life style which includes occasionally taking more than one passenger and having a decent amount of rear storage for all my sailing gear when I go sailing.
.............Let me stop you right there while your head still stuck in the ground so I can help you get it out cause THAT'S WHAT I BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG IF YOU HAD A BRAIN ABOVE YOUR SHOULDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But in OTHER NEWS,I done took my whole XK apart and put it BACK TOGETHER enough to know that the back seats are fake with very thin little leather cushion with some plastic attached to it and you think that's a good seat for somebody to be comfortable in...But moral of the story is since the XK suppose to be a 4 seater.then all the seats should be REAL like I was saying ALL ALONNNNNNNNNNNG since you not so very bright when it comes to comprehension skills

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-14-2021 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Will F-Type kill the XK?