XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Will the new and upgraded 2013 Viper appeal to Jaguar buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Tberg, I agree 100%. If it's raining I'm not on the track.

Certainly not at Sonoma or Seca, anyway. More room off-track at THill or BWillow...

Rich

Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
RW99,
I agree with your assessment of the Viper, with a slight exception, the Viper will run hot laps all day long on a track provided it's a dry one. All that torque and power on the rear wheels spell disaster on a moist track. I attend Audifest every year up at Infineon Track in Sonoma, CA. Each year I see a late model Viper prepared for the track who will not go out in the rain. I took my '72 Pantera and spun out twice on one wet lap and that was enough for me. Yet R-8's, S-5's, S-4's. etc. are out there at full speed because they're all 4 wheel drive. As we hear that some future F-type is going to have a 700 hp engine, if it doesn't have all wheels driven, it will not be able to harness that power even on a dry track. I think that both the Corvette and the Viper will eventually offer 4 wheel versions.
Lets take bets... flappy paddle transmission or AWD first? AMG's are JUST NOW getting awd.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Flappy paddle, easy. AWD, probably never.

But that assumes Viper hangs around long enough for such radical change...

Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Rich,

Great first post...and welcome to the forum! Great looking ACR...always enjoyed being on track with them in my modded Supra TT the odd time.

While I've followed the Gen V pre and post launch very carefully, I don't think Ralph is expecting many Jaguar cross shoppers A track friend has been asking him and Randy questions for me when he sees them when racing. Ralph asked him last week if I had bought one yet, which I haven't. I'm enjoying tracking the XKR while waiting to see how things shake out after a bit of a rough start, and if they make a couple of tweaks I'd be looking for (OEM or aftermarket). I think they'll button down handling at the limit in the short-term if they can, then add DCT/paddles later if feasible, particularly to attract cross shoppers of the brands they're after.

Bruce

Originally Posted by Rw99
I'm a newbie of the first order here, so my first posts should probably strive to contribute a little content... before I launch a couple of my own threads full of questions.

So: to the OP, yes, the Gen V Viper should appeal to SOME performance-oriented Jaguar owners. I've been in a few and the interior has been significantly upgraded. I own a 2009 ACR, and the trappings in the cabin can be optimistically characterized as "utilitarian". But that's not why we buy them ;-)

Just as I'm looking for a GT car that's a bit "softer" than a Viper, I would think that there are some XKR/XKR-S owners that are interested in taking a step further toward raw performance. The new Viper is clearly still a handful, Randy Pobst's comments in the various Motor Trend features define the Gen V as (still) difficult to drive at the limit. Which is one of the car's attributes that many of us value, oddly. Sort of the antithesis of the GT-R, to over-simplify.

Viper's simplicity has translated into rock-solid dependability; it's built to run hot laps all day long. Will a window motor crap out after a while? Maybe. But just feed the snake fuel, tires, and pads... and it's a fantastic driving experience. At the track, a constant grin... even if it does scare you from time to time.

The optional Stryker Red is glorious in person... not sure I'd pony up the $14500 it costs, but it's a no-brainer if you have the $$$$.

Rich

Last edited by Bruce H.; 10-18-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I've always liked the American ethic of performance = throwing the biggest engine you can find in it..
Or in other words, I like it.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GMad
I've always liked the American ethic of performance = throwing the biggest engine you can find in it..
Or in other words, I like it.
Typically yes... but remember that aside from early Vipers they do handle well... a tube chassis makes a world of difference

Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Rich,

Great first post...and welcome to the forum! Great looking ACR...always enjoyed being on track with them in my modded Supra TT the odd time.

While I've followed the Gen V pre and post launch very carefully, I don't think Ralph is expecting many Jaguar cross shoppers A track friend has been asking him and Randy questions for me when he sees them when racing. Ralph asked him last week if I had bought one yet, which I haven't. I'm enjoying tracking the XKR while waiting to see how things shake out after a bit of a rough start, and if they make a couple of tweaks I'd be looking for (OEM or aftermarket). I think they'll button down handling at the limit in the short-term if they can, then add DCT/paddles later if feasible, particularly to attract cross shoppers of the brands they're after.

Bruce
Thx, Bruce... I honestly think the Gen V's are ready for prime time right now.

My buddy with that Stryker Red car put it on the track as soon as it was broken in, and ran some very fast laps at Thunder Hill. With DOT4 brake fluid, the PZero Corsas, and a track alignment, he was turning laps only 5 sec or so off the production car lap record. As his Viper buddies we simultaneously offer him thumbs-up while cringing at the fact he's tracking that gorgeous paint job But I do the same thing, and my black paint suffers: these cars deserve to be driven hard!

SRT provides unmatched access to their top brass; I've talked with Ralph a couple of times about Viper and the other products... he's absolutely a car guy to the core, and I get the sense that changes/corrections at SRT happen REALLY fast (as per the Viper TA).

If I didn't already own a Viper (and had about $50k more to spend), the XKR-S vs. Viper GTS would be an agonizing new car decision. Most significant differences are power/weight and manual trans in the Viper... and comfort/room of the XKR-S. I'm 6'4 250 lbs and Viper is a close fit for me... although there's more room in the new car than in the Gen III or Gen IV. In fact, I had to have the seat in my Gen IV ACR lowered before I could drive the car

Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
So the new SRT Vipers are finally trickling to dealers here in Chicago. I've got to say they look great (much better than the C7 although I haven't seen one in person). This blue doesn't look that great on the Viper as I prefer White or Black. I know some of the Viper guys are upset at 640HP and wanted at least 700HP but I have to say its pulls hard! Some are guessing the low HP is because SRT is waiting to see what the C7 Z06/ZR1 will be before bumping up their HP.

Video(click on pic below to play):
Wickstrom Auto Group? I worked there. I prepped the viper.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well, SRT has been successful in attracting me to the 2014 Viper T/A model. The first production models were built a few weeks ago and several reviewers had a chance to test it on the track last month. The reviews were all outstanding. This follows it setting the production car lap record at Laguna Seca earlier. All that convinced my wife and I to buy one. I'd like the Crusher Orange shown in the photo below, and SRT is currently trying to allocate me one of the 93 to be built soon. There will also be 33 built later in both black and white.

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails Will the new and upgraded 2013 Viper appeal to Jaguar buyers?-2014-srt-viper-ta-static-4-1920x1440_zpsa4fb8494.jpg  

Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-18-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Maybe no need to wait, Bruce...

Tomball.

Rich

Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

I can't buy a US car because the warranty would be void in Canada, unfortunately.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I can't buy a US car because the warranty would be void in Canada, unfortunately.
Well, that sucks. Let me know how it goes with your allocation, I sure hope one of those TAs lands in your hands.

Because you'll track it

Rich