XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Window in the Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, thank you. I just purchased an '07 XK and noticed a small section (2") of the inside bottom of the perimeter is separating. I'll use the 3M primer and adhesive and hopefully stay ahead of any issues.
Ron

Old 09-09-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron07XK
Great info, thank you. I just purchased an '07 XK and noticed a small section (2") of the inside bottom of the perimeter is separating. I'll use the 3M primer and adhesive and hopefully stay ahead of any issues.
Ron
Ron,

Did you read this entire thread from the beginning?
3M didn't work for me, but Rhino Glue did and it's still holding. And it's far less messy and easier to work with than the black 3M adhesive.

It's your car, your money, and your choice.

Good luck!

​​​​​​​Stuart

Old 09-09-2021, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

So, this stuff.

My window separation was originally about 18 inches, about half the bottom and a curve. You wouldn’t know it to look at it— I only knew because I’d hear a tapping from that area at highway speeds. Since the car is my daily driver, and driving at highway speeds is probably the worst thing you could do in this situation, and I didn’t want it to get worse, I was on set today and asked our props and effects guys (who are amazing) if they had anything like Gorilla tape to hold me until my clamps arrived.

Well that would never do, of course. They insisted I show them the issue. They gave me this— that ribbon of stuff is pretty rubbery and VERY sticky. One of the guys swears GM (or maybe Jeep,someone) uses this product for this exact convertible-top-glass application. I had them put about three inches on just to hold me until I got home.

Got home and took a look: still rubbery, it depresses like rubber cement when you shove a fingernail in - but NO WAY, NO HOW was this stuff coming apart. The bond between glass and top seemed crazy strong. So I doubled down and used this as much as I could. Problem is, you’ve got to place the stuff down in position with surgical precision (it’s STICKY), and I couldn’t get the last two inches on either end.

So… I either run a narrow bead of black silicone on each end, or wait for my supplies to arrive and do the Stuart Method on each end. No rain here in So Cal, but I would like to wash the car at some point.

I’ll keep you posted…

The following 3 users liked this post by pk4144:
Cee Jay (09-09-2021), JagRag (09-10-2021), Stuart S (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Time will tell ...

I hope it works because it seems a lot easier to use than Rhino Glue and Suck N Clamps, although the clamps still seem to be helpful. If it holds for a month, let us know what it's called, the cost, and where to buy it.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
So, this stuff..............
. They gave me this— that ribbon of stuff is pretty rubbery and VERY sticky. One of the guys swears GM (or maybe Jeep,someone) uses this product for this exact convertible-top-glass application. I had them put about three inches on just to hold me until I got home.
I’ll keep you posted…
So what IS "this stuff"?
I got some clear stuff that looks like that my wife gave me I think from Amazon, and I got in on a plastic bottle and couldn't get it off no matter what. I don't know what it is though.
My one concern is UV and climate takes its toll...

Old 09-09-2021, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'll get the name next week. I'll let you know in about a month how we're doing. If you don't here from me before then, all is good!
PK

The following 2 users liked this post by pk4144:
Cee Jay (09-09-2021), JagRag (09-10-2021)
Old 02-26-2022, 07:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
There is a bulletin on repairing with special adhesive from jaguar that does work well. Is a several day repair and i dont know anyone that will touch it for the totally insanely low time given. It takes double the total repair time just to clean and prep not including taping so no adhesive goes onto material. We sublet to a glass guy that does a really good job reglueing and sealing so it has the same look around the glass. Something you wont get from the jaguar recommended repair. He charges $300
Dear Brutal, my soft top in 5 years old but the rear Window is already separating at the top. Australia is hot and a jag convertible probably more suited for a European climate. It looks like the chances of a successful repair is dependent on the adhesive used and the meticulousness of the bonding process. I found a guy in Sydney who told me :

We do a lot of these and need the car here for 5 days as we re-bond the whole glass back in and the process is done in stages with drying time needed in between. Providing no-one has tried to glue it before we offer a 12 month guarantee on the bond and the cost is $1650. We will not use the method in the jaguar TSB or glue. We have been repairing these for
over 10 years and can guarantee this method will fail or the areas next to
it will fail afterwards. We need to strip the glass out and remove all the
original glue which softens at around 60 degrees hence why its an issue in
Australia”

Although this is quite expensive, it just give me another 5 years which will still be worthwhile. Please may I ask your advice? Cheers Mate

Separating at the top from the inside

Original jag soft top only 5 years old
. Roger

Old 02-26-2022, 03:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. Bit the bullet, found the shop that does convertible tops for local Jag dealer and had him replace the top. Cost around $2,300, high-quality top, window secured differently and no separation problems. Around $1,000 cheaper than Jag dealer, looks fantastic.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RChatoor
Dear Brutal, my soft top in 5 years old but the rear Window is already separating at the top. Australia is hot and a jag convertible probably more suited for a European climate. It looks like the chances of a successful repair is dependent on the adhesive used and the meticulousness of the bonding process. I found a guy in Sydney who told me :

We do a lot of these and need the car here for 5 days as we re-bond the whole glass back in and the process is done in stages with drying time needed in between. Providing no-one has tried to glue it before we offer a 12 month guarantee on the bond and the cost is $1650. We will not use the method in the jaguar TSB or glue. We have been repairing these for
Australia”

Although this is quite expensive, it just give me another 5 years which will still be worthwhile. Please may I ask your advice? Cheers Mate

Separating at the top from the inside

Original jag soft top only 5 years old
. Roger
Roger,
That AU$1,650 cost to reattach your rear glass seems to be outrageously high. What would it cost to replace the top?

A US manufacturer, GAHH, sells excellent quality replacement tops for X150 models, and I believe they ship worldwide. See my Post #2 in this thread and the links therein:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-252739/

You might be better off putting that repair money towards a new top.

Stuart

Old 02-26-2022, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Roger,
That AU$1,650 cost to reattach your rear glass seems to be outrageously high. What would it cost to replace the top?

A US manufacturer, GAHH, sells excellent quality replacement tops for X150 models, and I believe they ship worldwide. See my Post #2 in this thread and the links therein:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-252739/

You might be better off putting that repair money towards a new top.

Stuart
i agree mate. Still mulling over the options

Old 02-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

If it were me, I think I would opt for the new top. That would do away with all the wrinkles created from putting the top down as well. I have toyed with putting a new top on just to get rid of the wrinkles.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
If it were me, I think I would opt for the new top. That would do away with all the wrinkles created from putting the top down as well. I have toyed with putting a new top on just to get rid of the wrinkles.
cheers Ralph. Should I try sticking it with Stuart’s rhino glue anyway? If it fails I can just replace the top? Really not sure now ☹️

Old 02-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Yep, you could do that. Trying the window glue option first and if that is not satisfactory then opt for a new top. If you think you are capable of doing the glue option, by all means, go for it.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Yep, you could do that. Trying the window glue option first and if that is not satisfactory then opt for a new top. If you think you are capable of doing the glue option, by all means, go for it.
not too confident but will try Stuart’s method. Wish me luck mate!

Old 02-27-2022, 08:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, about $1200 for a new rear fuse box. Don't ask how I know.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Well done, and thanks for all the pics and tips. Inspect the bottom edges frequently to make sure the bond is still good, because that's where water can infiltrate and cause damage to the rear fuse box.
Yes, about $1200 for a new rear fuse box.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:10 PM

Is there any difference between the RED COLORED and BLUE COLORED Suck-N-Clamp units? Is one better than the other?

Old 02-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ClayAK
Is there any difference between the RED COLORED and BLUE COLORED Suck-N-Clamp units? Is one better than the other?
The answer depends on your political preference.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:40 PM

I had a comment all written out re: Which color is Suck and which is Clamp ... but I decided I'll let sleeping Jags sleep.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:18 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RChatoor

Australia”

. Roger
My replacement top ( from a US source, but bought from aGerman dealer ) cost me exactly that, € 1650, and it has a TEN year guarantee ... ok, Fitting price not included.

Hermann

Quick Reply: Window in the Convertible top