XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Window Reset Didn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 04:09 PM
Received 120 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Window Reset Didn't Work

Did a search but didn't find a remedy matching this problem on my '09 XK.

First - I did replace the battery a couple of months ago. But I did not have to reset things like radio, cruise control, info-screen functions, or passenger side window one-touch feature (it works as it's supposed to). I have not discovered anything that isn't working except the driver's side window.
I have tried the reset procedure described in this forum and other places online, i.e. I raise the window and hold the switch for 5 seconds, then lower it and hold the switch for 5 seconds.
Here's what the driver's side window is doing that the reset procedure didn't fix:

-One-touch down maybe works correctly, although sometimes the window doesn't go all the way down into the door (about 1 inch still shows). I can lower it the rest of the way with the switch.
-One-touch up will raise the window, but it immediately drops back down (when it's lowering, using the button in either direction will not stop it from going down).
-If I hold the up button, and release it before it raises completely, the window will stop. Then if I continue to raise it the rest of the way (but I have to hold the switch) the window will stay up.

Have I not done the reset procedure correctly? Is there a problem with the regulator? Any suggestion or remedy is appreciated.
Cheers.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

YOu have to listen for a click after you do the long press each time. Do you hear the click? When you raise the window, you have to raise and hold a second time and the same for lowering.

The following users liked this post:
David993S (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 03:14 AM
Received 491 Likes on 320 Posts

Follow the instructions above and it should be OK.

As far as I recall, the reset procedure does not restore the one-touch function as that is always present. What it does do is restore the function that drops the window as soon as it detects a resistance, such as a trapped finger, when raising. I think that it is this detection system which is now misfiring due to the window becoming confused by the partial reset procedure.

Richard

Old 05-12-2024, 05:17 AM
Received 244 Likes on 126 Posts

My driver's side window will one-touch up but not down. Everything else works as it should, including the little drop when opening the door (and the opening/closing action when the hood is opened/closed). I did reset after reset ad nauseam and eventually gave up. I believe the switch itself may be the problem in my case.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
YOu have to listen for a click after you do the long press each time. Do you hear the click? When you raise the window, you have to raise and hold a second time and the same for lowering.
Thanks. Not sure I've heard a click as the car is running when I've tried it. I'll try it without the car running. I also haven't done it twice in a row. Didn't know that was required.
I'll try that and report back.
Cheers.

Just tried it the way you suggested. It didn't work and I don't hear a click. I tried it with the engine off, with the start button pushed without holding the brake pedal to start the engine, and with the engine running. No luck.. It's still doing exactly as I described in my first post.

Last edited by David993S; 05-12-2024 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David993S
Thanks. Not sure I've heard a click as the car is running when I've tried it. I'll try it without the car running. I also haven't done it twice in a row. Didn't know that was required.
I'll try that and report back.
Cheers.

Just tried it the way you suggested. It didn't work and I don't hear a click. I tried it with the engine off, with the start button pushed without holding the brake pedal to start the engine, and with the engine running. No luck.. It's still doing exactly as I described in my first post.
All my Jags and Rovers work the same way and they all click when you hold the window button for the second time. If yours won't do that, something's not working correctly. Just to confirm, with the doors closed, close the window all the way, then pull up and hold the button until you hear the clock, then open the window all of the way and then press the button down and hold until you hear a click, do this one at a time for each window.

guy (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
All my Jags and Rovers work the same way and they all click when you hold the window button for the second time. If yours won't do that, something's not working correctly. Just to confirm, with the doors closed, close the window all the way, then pull up and hold the button until you hear the clock, then open the window all of the way and then press the button down and hold until you hear a click, do this one at a time for each window.
Yes, that's what I did. Now that we have confirmed it's not working properly despite the reset procedure, any idea as to what may be wrong?

Old 05-12-2024, 02:13 PM

Last edited by David993S; 05-12-2024 at 02:15 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 05-12-2024, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

I'd first try resetting the car, disconnect battery, etc. and start over.

David993S (05-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 05:08 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,177 Likes on 822 Posts

With the car running, (I do this as spin off issues from a low battery condition will have your head spin) the procedure is as described in the Owner’s Manual.
If the reset procedure does not work out, I’d try a module reset (sdd or equivalent) before I start swapping parts.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:49 PM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I've not heard of these reset procedures. From the manual;.

Reset window anti-trap protection
Ensure that the respective door is closed and,
if fitted, the convertible roof closed.
• Fully close the window, then release the
switch. Again pull the switch to close the
window and hold for two seconds.
• Open the window fully and release the
switch. Again press the switch to open the
• Check to confirm the operation by opening
the window and then use one-touch
operation to close the window.
• Repeat for the remaining electrically
operated windows.

jahummer (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by luv2fly
I've not heard of these reset procedures. From the manual;.

Reset window anti-trap protection
Ensure that the respective door is closed and,
if fitted, the convertible roof closed.
• Fully close the window, then release the
switch. Again pull the switch to close the
• Open the window fully and release the
switch. Again press the switch to open the
• Check to confirm the operation by opening
the window and then use one-touch
operation to close the window.
• Repeat for the remaining electrically
operated windows.
I tried this too. No luck.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:48 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,177 Likes on 822 Posts

disconnect the battery.
drain all capacitance (by whatever process you wish)
reconnect battery.
try your window routine again.

But as experience shows, a connection to SDD has solved all my window and seat issues.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:13 AM
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

In that case, I agree with some of the others who've suggested disconnecting the battery cables completely. Let it sit over night, or hold the two cable ends together for a bit, then reconnect. If it makes you go through all the reset procedures, maybe you got it. If the window still doesn't work, I'd be thinking window module.

The following 2 users liked this post by luv2fly:
David993S (05-14-2024), guy (05-14-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Whenever I've had to reset the windows for whatever reason, it doesn't always work on the first attempt. It sometimes takes three or four successive attempts but always eventually comes back. Try it several times in a row, and I'm sure it will end up working at some point.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Whenever I've had to reset the windows for whatever reason, it doesn't always work on the first attempt. It sometimes takes three or four successive attempts but always eventually comes back. Try it several times in a row, and I'm sure it will end up working at some point.
I've tried probably a dozen times. At this point, I'd say it's something other than the reset procedure.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Not a regulator problem but some folks often use their window t push and pull when opening and closing, throwing the alignment off. The fix is to realign the window which requires removing the door panel. Easy process but a but time consuming. I don't habitually open and close my windows while driving and I have the problem on the drivers side. I just open the door slightly when closing the window (car in park of course). Not ideal but I'm fine with it. Maybe someday when I'm feeling energetic, I'll align the glass in the slides.

kj07xk (05-15-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was such a knuckle head when I did this and couldn't get it to work, I had one of my buddies try it and he held the buttons down longer to give them time to clear and reset and what do you know it worked.

Sean W (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJFanMatt
I was such a knuckle head when I did this and couldn't get it to work, I had one of my buddies try it and he held the buttons down longer to give them time to clear and reset and what do you know it worked.

Listen carefully for the click. If it doesn't click it's not fixed.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
ralphwg (05-18-2024), XJFanMatt (05-20-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 10:17 AM

I sort of feel like we're going round and round on this topic. Multiple reset attempts did not work. I disconnected the battery for nearly 24 hours, reconnected it, did the reset procedure again multiple times.......still doesn't work. There is clearly something else amiss.
If anyone has a suggestion (other than more reset attempts or battery disconnect) on what is wrong, please let me know. I think someone mentioned a possible window module failure. Is that now the likely culprit? Can that be confirmed with a scan tool?
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Window Reset Didn't Work