XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Windows rolled down by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Windows rolled down by themselves

I drove to work today. The windows were up for the whole drive.

I parked. The windows were up.

I worked all day. I didn't go to lunch. I ate pretzels from the snack machine.

There were terrible storms. We got two inches of rain in about 30 minutes. There was a tornado WARNING (not a watch, a WARNING).

At 6:00 PM I walked out to the car to drive home.

The windows were down. My car was soaked. It was still raining, so I quickly got into the car, rolled up the windows, and felt the water soak into my pants and shirt. I had some napkins in the car, so I dried off what I could, rang out the napkins, and soaked up more water.

How did my windows roll down by themselves? I am one million percent certain they were rolled up when I parked.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

If you hold the unlock button on your key it rolls the windows down remotely.

I would use it when returning from hiking. Have to have a good battery in your remote to do this with any range.

You can also roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button on the outside of the door handle.

For safety reasons of not decapitating people, you can't remotely roll up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tervuren:
ExKayRick (12-30-2023), sony2000 (12-29-2023)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I drove to work today. The windows were up for the whole drive.

I parked. The windows were up.

I worked all day. I didn't go to lunch. I ate pretzels from the snack machine.

There were terrible storms. We got two inches of rain in about 30 minutes. There was a tornado WARNING (not a watch, a WARNING).

At 6:00 PM I walked out to the car to drive home.

The windows were down. My car was soaked. It was still raining, so I quickly got into the car, rolled up the windows, and felt the water soak into my pants and shirt. I had some napkins in the car, so I dried off what I could, rang out the napkins, and soaked up more water.

How did my windows roll down by themselves? I am one million percent certain they were rolled up when I parked.
You got me curious now so I'll have to check this out tomorrow. I know on some cars that if you press and hold down the unlock button on the key fob your windows will roll down. It was a feature to let the hot air out as you got near the car. Don't know if Jag has the same feature and if it does then you may have pressed the unlock button while you walked away . Maybe something in your pocket. Gotta find out.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Global Open and Global Close can be activated through SDD. Once they have been activated you can turn them on or off through the security settings.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 07-23-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 AM
plc
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default windows down

How far from your car was you when you might have had your key in your back pocket and sat down thus maybe activating remote unlock and windows down it happened to me once at a restaurant but no rain was involved

Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

That happened to me this weekend. I was working on my wife's car which was parked next to mine. (Replacing the radiator cooling fans in her Pathfinder). As I was leaning against her car, suddenly the windows on my car rolled down. I guess I must have leaned against the key fob in my pocket and activated the windows.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

My car is still drying out. We got 3-4 inches of rain yesterday and my windows were down the whole time. Today I went to drive it and the driver's side window would not roll up. I checked the fuse. It was fine. The mirrors wouldn't work, either. After driving it for 10 miles and opening and closing the door a couple of times the window started working.

I think I'm going to disable that Global Open thing. I don't see myself ever using it.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

It's really nice when it's hot out to open the glass before you get there. Mine only has a 50' range so I don't have to worry about them dropping unexpectedly.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Well I'll be dam as I just took the car down and pushed the unlock button and held it down. Low and behold the 2 windows went down . I never checked for this but knowing this now it will be a little bit better getting into the car after a round of golf. Usually I have to start the car with the door open and when the AC high fans go on it fogs up my glasses. Thanks to RAINMAN rev for letting me know about this feature. .
By the way several years ago when the Ferrari 360 came out I was at a Ferrari challenge cup race at my local track in Limerock Ct. This guy brought his new 360 spider and parked it in the infield lot with the top down. It was a beautiful bright sunny day. I saw him go down to the paddock area which was about a 5 minute walk. I closed up my 308 and went down to the track. About 3 hours later some dark clouds moved in at a rapid rate. Well you guessed it as it stared to pour. We all went into some of the building. Poured for about 15 minutes and then clear sunny skies. I went back to my car and looked into his and he had about 2 inches of water on the floors. 2 hours later it was on a flat bed on it's way out as it wouldn't start. My net was never leave your top down unless you are sitting in the car.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by reverend sam
my car is still drying out. We got 3-4 inches of rain yesterday and my windows were down the whole time. Today i went to drive it and the driver's side window would not roll up. I checked the fuse. It was fine. The mirrors wouldn't work, either. After driving it for 10 miles and opening and closing the door a couple of times the window started working.

I think i'm going to disable that global open thing. I don't see myself ever using it.
probobly got water in the window switch. Personally i would contact insurance if that bad. Have carpets pulled and cleaned now. Any modules under the seats and your window switches need to be replaced. The key is to get the affected electrical connectors dried out and sprayed with contact cleaner before corrosion sets in.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
ExKayRick (12-30-2023), Queen and Country (07-25-2019), ralphwg (07-25-2019)
Old 12-28-2023, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows opening seemingly spontaneously

For a brief period my windows were opening every time I locked my car and walked away. The cause I discovered was moisture in the key fob which presumably triggered the open windows setting. To test if this is the cause, open fob and dry if required; and/or take out key fob battery and lock car with key, the windows will remain closed if this is problem.
Good luck!

Old 12-29-2023, 02:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerman
For a brief period my windows were opening every time I locked my car and walked away. .....
Welcome to the forums gingerman,

An unusual choice to make your first post in a four year old thread.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-18-2024, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a different question about windows. My owners manual, for 2012 XK convertible, describes the automatic window drop action, when opening the doors. This is not operating on my car, and interestingly enough, the windows, when fully closed (in up position) clear the lip of the convertible top when opening or closing the doors. Does this mean that on later XK convertibles Jaguar figured out how to design a top that did not need the windows to drop slightly in order to open or close the doors? By the way, I tried the Reset procedure in the Owner's Manual, and there was no change in the window operation. The one push up/down works well, too.

I charged the battery with my CTEK, so I know the battery is good. Running the engine whilst opening the doors makes no difference

any suggestions?

Michael

Old 01-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

They only drop a tiny bit, nearly unnoticeable. If you want to check, put a small piece of tape about a half-inch above the top of the door on the bottom of the glass itself then open the door. Any movement would be evident.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:54 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

@Cee Jay , you have a convertible. Do the windows need to be calibrated like on my car.
Very occasionally, I need to set “fully closed” .

Its not until I do this, will the window drop action be right.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I do not recall if the windows drop before the windows are calibrated, but I'll wager they do as to not destroy anything.
Weird that yours need calibrating occasionally. Maybe your car battery is low on power? Mine only need it after a battery disconnect.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:16 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Exactly! Thats what I meant about “very occasionally” = battery change.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-25-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default on another topic (sorry!)

we have a winner!
the windows actually do "budge" a bit when I open the doors, almost imperceptible movement but enough to clear the top!

thanks!

Please continue to indulge me for asking a question on a completely unrelated topic. I have posted this question elsewhere without a useful reply but am encouraged by the obvious experience and knowledge demonstrated here!

I have been trying to program the Homelink in the car using my Liftmaster remote control without success. I believe I must have rolling codes based on the 2011 manufacturer date of the opener head unit/motor, but my BMW Homelink connected via the remote control just by pressing the buttons on the Homelink and remote simultaneously. No need to go through the "learning" phase by pushing the learn button on the head unit. On the Jag XK 2012 it is a different story. I have erased the prior stored memories several times, following the instructions posted here and on the Homelink website. I push both the Homelink and remote buttons simultaneously and get a slow flashing red light on the homelink that never changes to rapid flashing mode. After a while the slowly flashing red light just goes out. I have held the remote control near the Homelink buttons and waved it around the roof console, all without success. I have a new battery in the remote control. Is there something I am missing here? I read somewhere that someone had success holding the remote control outside the windshield (I too have a convertible, so this would still be a one-person job). Any suggestions would be most welcome!!

thanks,

Old 01-26-2024, 01:43 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Correct me if I’m wrong,

But I believe the instructions in the Owner’s Manual are not entirely clear.
If I recall correctly, Once the rolling code has been programmed to the car, then you need to pair the car with the door opener.
That is, I believe the Owner’s Manual leaves room for a misinterpretation of the instructions.

Of course, the easy way to rectify this is just call the 1-800 for Homelink. They will set you straight.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (01-27-2024), ralphwg (01-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Windows rolled down by themselves