XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Windshield Washer Jet Not Working- Where to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 11:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Jet Not Working- Where to Start?

Hello all,

When I push the windshield washer stalk button in on my 2011 XKR convertible, the wipers will activate 2 or 3 times. However, no washer fluid comes out and I cannot hear the washer jet motor activate. I topped off the fluid recently, but it didn’t fix the problem.

Am I missing something simple? This button activates the jet in my xj8.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on this for x150 XKRs.

Would anyone happen to know how to replace the motor or check for a blockage in the tank?

Thank you!

Old 08-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,009 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Try it a few times and then check under the car for any signs of fluid. If you’re lucky, it’s just a disconnected washer hose.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1

Here is the washer/wiper setup diagram from the Workshop Manual:

Here is the detail for the reservoir showing the two pumps and the level sensor:

Washer pump failure has been reported on the forum but not as a regular issue.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
njart (11-20-2023)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

If you can't hear your washer motor activate then it's defo that, I just went out and tested my washer jets (just for you) and it is audible in my coupe, so would guess more so in a vert.

It could just be corroded contacts that need cleaning up.

For a diagram read this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-107782/

If it is the pump that has failed contact your local dealer for a cost and part number and post up here

Old 08-28-2020, 11:54 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I’ve tried listening for the washer jet motor with the bonnet up, and with a friend. We just can’t hear it activate.

The diagram for the washer system is very helpful.

Would anyone happen to know what to take apart to access the washer motor? It looks like it’s behind the engine.

To access the reservoir, would I have to go in through the wheel well?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:46 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by 1sloXJR
......To access the reservoir, would I have to go in through the wheel well? .....
Instructions are in the Workshop Manual available for free download in the "stickies" at the top of the threads. Here's the relevant extract:

Graham

MarkyUK (08-28-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 03:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a problem with mine - turned out that there was a bunch of nasty black slime in the bottom of the bottle and that gummed everything up. Pulled the pump and drained/washed everything. Bingo. Car had lived in hot climate - not sure if that made something grow in the washer bottle.

njart (11-20-2023)
Old 09-06-2020, 07:14 PM
asb
Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

1sloXJR, I have the same problem with my '11 XKR convertible as well. I haven't troubleshooted it thoroughly, but I don't hear the pump running so my initial guess is it's a bad pump. Please report back with your findings. I'm curious to know how easy it is to fix the problem. When I get some time, my plan is to jack up the car, take out the pump and reservoir, and drain everything. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I'll report back here as well if I have any success.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:00 AM

I finally found time to begin addressing this problem.

i checked fuse 04 in the engine compartment box, and it seemed fine (I’m pretty sure that fuse is for the washer pump).

I then removed the wheel, plastic cladding, and both the washer and headlight washer motors. The tank liquid was clear and did not seem to have any gunk.

With a friend’s help, I tried to bench test both motors by connecting each plug end to a separate 12v car battery.

I used this method previously to test an auxiliary coolant pump on my xj8. The broken pump did nothing. The new pump whirred to life.

On both XK washer jet motors, connecting leads from a 12v battery resulted in sparking. The leads never touched each other.

Before I order new motors, which are pretty expensive, would anyone happen to know another way of testing the old ones, or what the sparking meant? I find it odd that both motors supposedly failed at the same time.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:01 AM
asb
Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by asb
1sloXJR, I have the same problem with my '11 XKR convertible as well. I haven't troubleshooted it thoroughly, but I don't hear the pump running so my initial guess is it's a bad pump. Please report back with your findings. I'm curious to know how easy it is to fix the problem. When I get some time, my plan is to jack up the car, take out the pump and reservoir, and drain everything. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I'll report back here as well if I have any success.
I wanted to report back on this since I finally got around to troubleshooting this yesterday. I first checked the windshield washer pump fuse to make sure it was good, and it was. After I put it back in, I hit the windshield washer button just as a test, and to my surprise, I heard the pump whir to life and got washer fluid to spray on the windshield! Not sure if I just got lucky or if the fuse wasn't sitting right before, but for anyone with a similar problem, it might be a good test to take out the fuse and put it back in (assuming it's not blown). If this works, it'll definitely save you some time and money.

The following 4 users liked this post by asb:
fxdwg (03-09-2021), kj07xk (03-09-2021), ralphwg (03-09-2021), V7Sport (03-09-2021)
Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK 2013 Conv Windshield Jet not working

Hello

I am new to this forum.

I have a 2013 XK convertible and windscreen washers not working at all, checked fuse F4 and its OK, oddly the headlamp washers only work once when headlights are on but if I turn off headlights then back on washers work again once but nothing on windscreen any thought most welcome

Regards, Phillip

Old 07-18-2022, 09:16 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Phillip, the headlamp washer will work every fourth operation of the windshield washer. Operate the windshield washer multiple times to see the headlamp washer work.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:34 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Phillip1952
..... I have a 2013 XK convertible and windscreen washers not working at all, checked fuse F4 and its OK, oddly the headlamp washers only work once when headlights are on but if I turn off headlights then back on washers work again once but nothing on windscreen .....
Welcome to the forums Phillip,

JackJohn has explained the limitation on headlamp washer operation which is designed to conserve fluid. The headlamp washer is also de-activated entirely when the level in the reservoir is low as wipers are the priority.

As the headlamp washers works but the windscreen washers don't, I expect the pump has failed (see post #3) although it could simply be a blockage.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-19-2022, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to both for advice.

Tried pressing headlamp washer 4 times but no success, have to turn off headlights then back on to get another wash!

May try and dismantle from under wheel arch.

Had the car from new 2013 and only 20k miles with not a fault so can't complain

Regards, Phillip

GGG (07-19-2022)