XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Windshield wipers possessed, need exorcism

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Windshield wipers possessed, need exorcism

Car 2008 XK coupe

Several days ago while taking a casual drive the windshield wipers came on by themselves. Yes, the switch was in the OFF position. I finally got them to turn off by moving the stalk to the Intermittent position and then back to Off. No further problem for a day.

The day of no problems was spent driving to Brevard, NC to visit some friends and do some serious beer tasting (read Drinking). After two days of not driving the car and a morning spent sobering up, my wife and I took off headed for Raleigh. Going down the mountain from the friend’s home the wipers again came on by themselves. The previously described trick of turning them on then back off got them to stop, this happened 4 times between Brevard and getting onto I26. By this time I was beginning to think the problem was some kind of a short in the steering column as the wipers “seemed” to be activated by turning the wheel in sharp corners. That theory was trashed shortly after getting onto I26 headed for Asheville. While cruising straight they came on again and this time nothing worked to get them to turn off. I even tried turning the car off and restarting, still could get the wipers to turn off. I finally ended up pulling off the road and pulling the wiper fuse, that got them off.

Before I sign my S.S. check over to the dealer I thought I would check here and see if anyone has ever heard of a similar issue.

Paul

Old 05-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

This may sound off the wall to you, but how is your battery? Have you had any other strange electric/electronic glitches lately? XKs are notorious for developing all kinds of weird electric/electronic happenings when the battery is at less than full power. Have your battery checked and if necessary replace it. If it isn't necessary buy a CTek or some other battery tender at a cost of about $60-$70 on either Amazon or Ebay and keep your car hooked up to it when it isn't in use. Even use it with a new battery.

Battery's expected life span is around four years so it may be time for a new one, or your battery might be faulty. That is where to start looking. There are several threads on this forum dealing with the battery issue, I'm no expert, but a fellow with the handle of Richzak is very knowledgeable. Do a search in the search box for battery issues, windshield wiper issues or Richzak for further information. Good luck

Old 05-28-2016, 06:12 PM

Ralphwg,

I had thought about the battery but have not had any other known battery problems, strange warning lights, etc..

I failed to mention this in my original post but after two hours on the road when i stopped for gas i put the wiper fuse back in and the wipers immediately started back up. After several x rated words i pulled the fuse back out and continued to Raleigh. I would think that 2 hours at 75 mph would fully charge the battery, but I have been wrong before.

Paul

Old 05-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

It is not uncommon to need to have the wiper switch replaced. I had to do mine about 5 or 6 years ago, but I had the opposite problem, mine would not come on at all.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

+1 on the battery being suspect. The wiper switch could also be defective, but gremlins come out on these beasties when the battery wears. It's due for a change, unless you keep it on a tender. I would start there.

But just in case:

Exorcizamus te, omnis immunde spiritus, omni satanica potestas, omnis incursio infernalis adversarii, omnis legio, omnis congregatio et secta diabolica......

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The exorcism rite might work, but if not, I also support the battery theory - while I do know of many of the electronic anomalies that happen with low battery voltage on these cars, this is the first time I have heard of the wipers starting by themselves. BUT I have seen the flashers come on and do a strangely choreographed dance because of a battery failure in an XK, so do not rule out the battery.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Paul, if your battery is original, it is time for a replacement. I agree that 2 hours at 75 should charge the battery but only if it is capable of being charged. If the battery is below its ability to recover then a drive from Florida to Alaska would not charge it.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

You should have shared some of the beer with the car! Now it is unhappy. However I like the switch theory also considering no other electrical issues that might be low battery related. Please let us know what turns up.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:59 PM

"You should have shared some of the beer with the car! Now it is unhappy."

Rob, I actually did think about thatbut the friend we were staying with is an ex district attorney and he pointed out the car, being a 2008, was not old enough to drink. Plus the Oskar Blues and Sierra Nevada in growlers direct from the brewerys was farrrrrrr tooooo good to give to a young car (G).

I have also heard that the wiper relays are a not uncommon failure point, and easily checked so I will try that first. To that end does anyone know exactly where the wiper relays are located? In my searches, some have said they, the relays, are behind the drivers side headlight assembly but I don't see them and of course they were talking about a much earlier car than my 2008.

Paul

Old 05-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pstahl

Car 2008 XK coupe

Several days ago while taking a casual drive the windshield wipers came on by themselves. Yes, the switch was in the OFF position. I finally got them to turn off by moving the stalk to the Intermittent position and then back to Off. No further problem for a day.

The day of no problems was spent driving to Brevard, NC to visit some friends and do some serious beer tasting (read Drinking). After two days of not driving the car and a morning spent sobering up, my wife and I took off headed for Raleigh. Going down the mountain from the friend’s home the wipers again came on by themselves. The previously described trick of turning them on then back off got them to stop, this happened 4 times between Brevard and getting onto I26. By this time I was beginning to think the problem was some kind of a short in the steering column as the wipers “seemed” to be activated by turning the wheel in sharp corners. That theory was trashed shortly after getting onto I26 headed for Asheville. While cruising straight they came on again and this time nothing worked to get them to turn off. I even tried turning the car off and restarting, still could get the wipers to turn off. I finally ended up pulling off the road and pulling the wiper fuse, that got them off.

Before I sign my S.S. check over to the dealer I thought I would check here and see if anyone has ever heard of a similar issue.

Paul
Could it be that the wipers are in 'auto' mode? Switch on car and cover the rain sensor on the windscreen. My 2 cents

Old 05-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

"You should have shared some of the beer with the car! Now it is unhappy."

Rob, I actually did think about thatbut the friend we were staying with is an ex district attorney and he pointed out the car, being a 2008, was not old enough to drink. Plus the Oskar Blues and Sierra Nevada in growlers direct from the brewerys was farrrrrrr tooooo good to give to a young car (G).

Paul
Paul:

You forget that cars, like dogs, age about 7 years to our one. Your baby is certainly old enough for Sierra Nevada. If not, send it to me. I'm definitely old enough.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:46 PM

Bit of an update.

I found the relays, they are in the underhood driver's side fuse box and are marked R4 & R8. Swapping the relays had no effect.

Checking the battery showed it to be fully charged so I am going with a faulty wiper switch. I have removed the switch and will order a new one tomorrow and should have it by Thursday or Friday. Meanwhile I will be using plenty of Rain-X, wonderful product.

Paul

Old 05-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

What you describe should have little to do with the battery. The column switch is just that..... A switch.
I suspect you have bad one.
You could disassemble the stalk enough to get to it and spray some electronic cleaner (battery disconnected please) inside while move it back and forth. Could be a simple piece of carbon track or grit gettin in the way of making good contact.

Just tossin thoughts

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-30-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Default Update

Got the new wiper switch and installed it. The demon has been removed, problem gone.

However, those that were advocating a low battery may still be onto something. While I was driving after replacing the switch I got a new warning message "CATS System Fault" followed by "DSC not Available". When the warning message appears the shocks go rock hard, though the engine performance does not appear to be affected.

I had previously used a volt meter to check the battery but today bought an Innova 3150e. When using that to check the battery it found it to be low, just a little, but low. Looks like new battery time.

Paul

Jacsun (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Got the new wiper switch and installed it. The demon has been removed, problem gone.

However, those that were advocating a low battery may still be onto something. While I was driving after replacing the switch I got a new warning message "CATS System Fault" followed by "DSC not Available". When the warning message appears the shocks go rock hard, though the engine performance does not appear to be affected.

I had previously used a volt meter to check the battery but today bought an Innova 3150e. When using that to check the battery it found it to be low, just a little, but low. Looks like new battery time.

Paul
It's easy enough to check the load on your battery with a voltmeter. Hold the test leads on the battery while someone turns the key. If the voltage drops below 9.4 volts, your battery needs replacement.
Then again, auto parts stores will load test it for free.

Last edited by Sean W; 06-02-2016 at 10:04 PM.
pstahl (06-02-2016)