XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Wood Dash Panel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
ugh... poop-kicker style of the '77 rednecks.
Mine was an '80 Trans Am but had a similar spun aluminum dash. In 1980 it looked pretty good, now... hmmmm. I would have kept that car in my stable and not let it slip through my fingers if it would of had the 6.6 but sadly it came with the 4.9. A real looker, but nothing under the hood.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mediawiz
I have the metallic dash panels in my 2012 XKR, and I want to find someplace where I can get real wood panels to replace them.
why don't you swap out with someone on the forum who has the burl wood? Ultimately eliminate most of your expenses. I wrapped my burl wood to give it a updated dark aluminum look. I'd only remove it to sell the car. Hit me up if you're interested. I had the stamped aluminum on my 64 Impala and loved it. I assume the years are interchangeable. Others can correct me.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceG
Thanks to all for the ideas. I just think the wood is a little old school n stuffy for my taste. I'm looking to infuse a little sportiness into the interior. Anyone know where I can purchase a QUALITY version of any of the aluminum looks? I prefer the the engine spun, but at this point .. ???
My XKR has the 'weaved' aluminium trim and in a car of that nature (essentially 'sporting') I much prefer it to the wood trims. But in my X-Type I have the Sovereign Walnut wood and that looks amazing in a car of that nature (essentially 'traditional'). Personally, I think that if the trims of either car were swapped around, it would be to the detriment of both cars. HST, each to his own - if you prefer wood, it is the right choice, if you prefer aluminium it is the right choice. On matters of taste there are no rules as such.

You might find a car being parted out that has the trim you are looking for - installation is very easy and straightforward. That is how I got the Sovereign Walnut for my X-Type. Before, it had some sort of pale wood which didn't look nearly as classy and didn't contrast enough with the cream leather interior. I put the original, pale trim up for sale on eBay (still no takers though). As there is some enthusiasm for the wood XK trim on the forum, maybe someone will swap with you if they have the unfavoured (to them) aluminium - if I am reading the thread right hasn't someone already offered?

Last edited by barnsie; 03-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.
MarkyUK (10-18-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
why don't you swap out with someone on the forum who has the burl wood? Ultimately eliminate most of your expenses. I wrapped my burl wood to give it a updated dark aluminum look. I'd only remove it to sell the car. Hit me up if you're interested. I had the stamped aluminum on my 64 Impala and loved it. I assume the years are interchangeable. Others can correct me.
Everything would swap over with the exception of the console piece #15 in diagram, which on the 4.2's has the buttons mounted in them.

Sean W (03-09-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Location: South of Sweden (summer) & South of Spain (rest of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy panels?

Hello!
i just bought another XK, its a 2010 convertible. It has the aluminium panel above the glove compartment. I want to replace it with a walnut. I have read the thread and got a lot of valuable information including how to remove the existing one. Where can I buy either a original one or a aftermarket one in good guality?

Old 10-18-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Since you're in Europe, I suggest that you start your search with Forum sponsor SNG Barratt.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/home

Also check Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/
and auto breakers that specialize in Jaguar parts.

As an alternative, you can simply remove that trim panel and wrap it with automotive film in the wood grain and color of your choice.

ralphwg (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:16 AM
Location: South of Sweden (summer) & South of Spain (rest of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Since you're in Europe, I suggest that you start your search with Forum sponsor SNG Barratt.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/home

Also check Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/
and auto breakers that specialize in Jaguar parts.

As an alternative, you can simply remove that trim panel and wrap it with automotive film in the wood grain and color of your choice.
thank you !