XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Wooden parts on steering wheel removable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wooden parts on steering wheel removable?

Hi all,

I am going to redo the veneer trim panels in my 2007 XKR.
I decided to use the same pattern as is already in there, but instead of the brown color it will be back-greyish. (see pics of my photoshopped cockpit)

The only problem I am thinking of is removing the wooden parts of the steering wheel. Is it possible to take them off? Has anybody ever done this?
Another option would be to swap the wheel for a full leather version.

Looking forward to your answers!

This is how the car looks now

This is plan A

Plan B incase I can't do the steering wheel..

Old 05-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

I'm thinking XKR wheel with no wood.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisKites (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

That blacky-grey color actually looks much better than I thought it would.
Anyway, if you wanted to swap it for the full-leather version, there are several gents in this forum who would probably go for a swap.

ChrisKites (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Chris,

I prefer the way it looks now. I'd like the grey-black veneer if your upholstery was grey or black. Just my personal taste. Kinda like blonde, brunette or redhead? But since you've already decided to redo the veneer to grey-black, all that matters is that you're happy with that choice.

I noted that your XKR has Adaptive Cruise Control, a rare option (except in 2010, the only year when it was standard equipment). The wood-trimmed steering wheel is also rare, as it was available only in 2007. From your picture, it appears that your XKR is in immaculate condition.

I suspect that the wood veneer on the steering wheel is glued on, possibly with double-sided 3M automotive tape. I'd be very careful when trying to remove it, as you don't want to split that thin veneer or damage the leather. I'd avoid using any solvents and, instead, use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the adhesive. When softened, slip some monofilament nylon fishing line under that veneer and gradually work it back and forth to remove that veneer in one piece. Keep that veneer warm and take your time. Good luck and let us know if that worked.

Stuart

ChrisKites (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Are you making all new wood pieces or going to strip and refinish the factory parts?

ChrisKites (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Did XKRs (2007+) ever come with wood wheels? I never really liked the look on the XK, but I notice the ones that have wood wheels are almost exclusively XKs and not XKRs.

ChrisKites (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:57 PM

@Ranchero50: Yeah me too at first, but it would mean I need to find another steering wheel and take this one off etc.

@Cee Jay: Yeah, I think it looks a bit less retro and a bit fresher. I live in Southern Spain, so it will be difficult to swap with someone in the US.

@Stuart S: Thanks for the tip on the heat gun I didn't think of that yet! I understand what you are saying and obviously it's all very personal, but I find the car looks a bit old with the brown wood, the aluminum finish you see a lot in the XKR's is a bit too much and looks like tinfoil to my taste, but this option looks amazing in my opinion as it go's better with the grey paint used already throughout the car.
My car looks amazing as it is, but this is really a stock picture I used which is a copy of my car. Saved me making a good one I could use to photoshop.
Maybe there are differences in European and US cars delivered in those years, but mine does have heated wood/leather steering wheel and also has a little 'R' sign in the lower part and yes it also has ACC which I find a bit of an annoying feature as it brakes so hard every time you are overtaking on a bending highway...
Perhaps I have a special kind of Edition XKR? Would be nice to know. It was sold to me as a standard 2007 XKR.

@davchr: I will be using aqua printing technique on the old parts after which a layer of coating will go over it. Actually I was told most big brands nowadays make all their veneer like this, and real wood is not being used anymore... This is a lot cheaper. It will look exactly the same when polished as the original one, but in a different color. All at the price of €250,-

Here is a video of the process: http://www.dailymotion.com/cdn/manif...717faa6fc02a62

@amcdonal86: I guess they did in 2007, at least here in Europe. Mine is the same as the steering wheel in the picture but has an 'R' sign in the lower part.

Last edited by ChrisKites; 05-31-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisKites

@Stuart S: Thanks for the tip on the heat gun I didn't think of that yet! I understand what you are saying and obviously it's all very personal, but I find the car looks a bit old with the brown wood, the aluminum finish you see a lot in the XKR's is a bit too much and looks like tinfoil to my taste, but this option looks amazing in my opinion as it go's better with the grey paint used already throughout the car.
My car looks amazing as it is, but this is really a stock picture I used which is a copy of my car. Saved me making a good one I could use to photoshop.
Maybe there are differences in European and US cars delivered in those years, but mine does have heated wood/leather steering wheel and also has a little 'R' sign in the lower part and yes it also has ACC which I find a bit of an annoying feature as it brakes so hard every time you are overtaking on a bending highway...
Perhaps I have a special kind of Edition XKR? Would be nice to know. It was sold to me as a standard 2007 XKR.

@davchr: I will be using aqua printing technique on the old parts after which a layer of coating will go over it. Actually I was told most big brands nowadays make all their veneer like this, and real wood is not being used anymore... This is a lot cheaper. It will look exactly the same when polished as the original one, but in a different color. All at the price of €250,-
I too had considered going with smoked burl before I settled upon piano black and carbon fiber. My S-type R also had the smoked burl wood and I loved it. I'd highly recommend you reconsider hydro printing due to the end results still looking like fake plastic and also note that high end manufacturers are still using real wood including Jaguar, Rover, Jeep, Mercedes, etc. I understand you are in Spain, but here in Florida there is an ex-pat from Wales who is rather well know for his bespoke and restoration work on Jaguar, Rolls and Bentley - British Auto Wood and he has re-worked the original wood veneer into the smoked look you are after simply by sanding off the polyester coating, bleaching and then re-staining gray. I also do not believe it will be easy to remove the wheel inserts but with the method I described you may not have to. Your other option for the wheel would be to have one custom made, there is a company in Poland that makes them for a very reasonable price.

If you do indeed have the caramel interior I sort of have to agree with Stuart on the color combo, with a black interior no doubt your idea would be stunning, with the caramel, not so sure. Have you looked at the poplar option?

ChrisKites (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Did XKRs (2007+) ever come with wood wheels? I never really liked the look on the XK, but I notice the ones that have wood wheels are almost exclusively XKs and not XKRs.
The first XK/XKR I test drove was a 2007 XKR convertible and it had the wood wheel trim. The car was for sale in Chicago 2.5 years ago.

ChrisKites (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisKites

@davchr: I will be using aqua printing technique on the old parts after which a layer of coating will go over it.
You will need to be REALLY careful of the coating thickness as there is not much clearance between the wood and parts they mate with.

ChrisKites (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 PM

@jahummer: You think the end result doesn't look good? Look at this!

Talking about high end brands ;-)
I have been told this is the way the go even high end brands use it in todays cars. You can't really tell the difference. And if you knock on your wooden trim, don't you agree if feels a little like plastic to you too? Not debating it is real wood or a print with a coating, just saying you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if it is done well.
Thanks for the heads up though, and the bleaching sounds like a good idea too!

@davchr: Yeah agree, but I'll let a professional take care of it for me.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

ChrisKites - If it were me and I was having it done professionally, I think I would have the shop make a sample piece to put up against the dashboard to see what it looks like in real life. As others have said, its your car, and your taste, but I like the original look. What ever you do, you have a terrific ride enjoy it.

ChrisKites (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
ChrisKites (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:39 AM

@Ralphwg: Yeah that is what the professional also suggested doing.

@110reef: Yeah sure you can use wrap, thought of doing that in the first place, but the quality will be different and more prone to damage than a coated print.

Sean W (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

An advantage of the wrap is that you can remove it later if desired and go back to original. Or change to a different wrap.

ChrisKites (06-07-2017)