XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Wow what big exhaust tip I have

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

The 4.2 doesn't have the battery monitor, so it isn't an issue.

I don't know for sure what effect bypassing the monitor on a 5.0 will have. My guess would be: the monitor will underestimate the charge in the battery, so it will tend to trigger 'low battery' messages to the rest of the car's modules, and probably trigger diagnostic codes.

However, if the charge is only a trickle, the level of underestimation may be pretty small. And while Jag says that you may get some issues, I don't think I've seen anyone report codes related to battery warnings. And I've connected a charger direct to the battery (before I learned about this) with no problems. On the other hand, I know that the ECM will shut down 'non-essential' services if the battery monitor reports a low charge, and that might possibly explain some of the weird electrical gremlins that occur despite people using battery maintainers.

Bottom line: since Jaguar says "Connect to +ve terminal and a chassis ground", that's what I'll be doing in future. It isn't really more difficult than connecting both leads to the battery.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, Richard, I wasn't recommending the Jag product, just quoting what they said. I agree - stupid to pay big $$$ for a Jaguar sticker. I assume it comes with a 12V lighter socket that you fit next to the battery simply because the OEM charger only comes with a lighter plug. Sounds a bit kludgy to me.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The 4.2 doesn't have the battery monitor, so it isn't an issue.

I don't know for sure what effect bypassing the monitor on a 5.0 will have. My guess would be: the monitor will underestimate the charge in the battery, so it will tend to trigger 'low battery' messages to the rest of the car's modules, and probably trigger diagnostic codes.

However, if the charge is only a trickle, the level of underestimation may be pretty small. And while Jag says that you may get some issues, I don't think I've seen anyone report codes related to battery warnings. And I've connected a charger direct to the battery (before I learned about this) with no problems. On the other hand, I know that the ECM will shut down 'non-essential' services if the battery monitor reports a low charge, and that might possibly explain some of the weird electrical gremlins that occur despite people using battery maintainers.

Bottom line: since Jaguar says "Connect to +ve terminal and a chassis ground", that's what I'll be doing in future. It isn't really more difficult than connecting both leads to the battery.

Is there an exact chassis ground location in the trunk they recommend to place the negative lead of the charger? I would consider making the change if I can use the existing charger negative lead without making any significant modifications. Has anyone used this trunk ground and have pictures?

Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

They didn't recommend a specific one, and I'm afraid I haven't needed to connect a charger since I learned about this, so I haven't had to find a point to connect to. But I recall seeing some grounding points when I last looked - just can't recall the details.

Last edited by Ngarara; 05-04-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Speeling misteak
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I have a 5.0 car with the battery monitor and have the charger connected to both battery terminals with no issues so far. Should I be changing the negative connection to a ground in the trunk area or can I get by? Will I be looking at any problems down the road with my present hook up?
I'm in the same boat as you. I'll have time tomorrow to move the negative cable, which makes sense now based on all of the great feedback here (thanks guys).