XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

X100 XKR Owner Looking at early X150 XKRs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts
Default X100 XKR Owner Looking at early X150 XKRs

I've owned my 2000 XKR Convertible for 5 years, and my 1998 XJR Sedan for most of one year. I've had a great ownership experience with both. I'm a DIY girl from oil changes to engine and transmission rebuilds, and parts seem quite easy and inexpensive to get, and are pretty easy to work on.

I've been looking to replace the XKR with a newer car, and have been looking at early DB9 Volantes, and early X150 XKRs. I know the 5.0 SC cars are faster and have many nice changes, but I really think the early X150s are great value and they interest me a lot. They're basically as fast as the DB9 (and somewhat faster in some areas), but better fuel economy, more reasonable parts prices, and relatively easy to work on. I like that a nice XKR can be had for 50-60% of the same year DB9.

I know about the AC drain issue, but what other caveats are there? What are common problems? What should I be looking out for?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

These cars are very reliable and handle beatiifully.

Some other things to watch for though:
-The leather delaminating from the dashboard, especially near the windshield.
-The rear window glass beginning to separate from the canvas convertible top
-The plastic thermostat hosing assembly cracking and needing replacement every 8-10 years, just as on the XK8s.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I've owned my 2000 XKR Convertible for 5 years, and my 1998 XJR Sedan for most of one year. I've had a great ownership experience with both. I'm a DIY girl from oil changes to engine and transmission rebuilds, and parts seem quite easy and inexpensive to get, and are pretty easy to work on.

I've been looking to replace the XKR with a newer car, and have been looking at early DB9 Volantes, and early X150 XKRs. I know the 5.0 SC cars are faster and have many nice changes, but I really think the early X150s are great value and they interest me a lot. They're basically as fast as the DB9 (and somewhat faster in some areas), but better fuel economy, more reasonable parts prices, and relatively easy to work on. I like that a nice XKR can be had for 50-60% of the same year DB9.

I know about the AC drain issue, but what other caveats are there? What are common problems? What should I be looking out for?
For early XK150s 07-09, another big expense is the shrinking dash leather although I've read about 2010s experiencing the same issue. So as time marches on, we can see issues on earlier models that have never gotten addressed by Jaguar that bleed into the later models as well.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, so far no huge issues. I'd buy knowing that I'd need to right away basically change the thermostat housing and keep 4k around for when I pull the dash to get retrimmed and to replace the top at the local hot rod upholstery shop (i used to run with an old school hot rod group, and this shop has done amazing, beautiful work). Definitely good to know this stuff though.

It does get annoying that they used a crap adhesive and have as little extra leather as possible this happens. I've seen this rippling on some Ferraris too.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Diligent and frequent use of leather conditioner (Lexol) and window shades when in the sun will prevent most dash problems. Poor wire routing in the front bumper can cause TPMS nuisance messages. The thermostats are NOT an issue on the supercharged version. The 07 has an 80's style power antenna, the 08's and later do not. I had the driver side cat go bad just before the warranty ran out. May be common, don't know. They don't like low voltage. Battery needs to be fresh and constantly tendered if not used often. I have a coupe so the rear windows generally separate.

People will stare.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Aston parts are scary expensive, Jags less so - one of the reasons I decided to stick with Jags (though I don't do my own maintenance). Also, Astons are low-volume and, according to a mate who owned one, things tend to get changed from car to car, so there's sometimes no 'source of truth' on what parts to use and how they're connected. His was an older model, so the DB9 may be better, but it could make DIY work tricky...

Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Aston parts are scary expensive, Jags less so - one of the reasons I decided to stick with Jags (though I don't do my own maintenance). Also, Astons are low-volume and, according to a mate who owned one, things tend to get changed from car to car, so there's sometimes no 'source of truth' on what parts to use and how they're connected. His was an older model, so the DB9 may be better, but it could make DIY work tricky...
I have had cars before that I didn't really use due to fear of parts breaking, they were'nt really usable day in and out, etc. Once I got my XKR, I daily drive it. I used it and enjoy it. It's been so usable; one of my favorite things about GTs and Sport Sedans.

If I had a nice pole barn I'd have quite the oddball collection. I just don't have the room right now for a car that's needy and a bit of work and time to get parts. I've seen the 2010s come down in price too, but it all boils down to this spring. I already have cash in hand but need to sell some cars to make room (I'm selling the Audis this fall and the XKR this spring).