XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

X150 SC Replacing Secondary Air Injection vacuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default X150 SC Replacing Secondary Air Injection vacuum hose

Hope you all had a good Christmas! Indulged in some engine bay cleaning during this break and I broke the SAI vacuum line, see attached. The thing was so brittle I managed to break it in 4 places, and I wasn't too rough, promise

It's the vacuum line which connects the secondary air injection vacuum tank to the rest of the circuit (marked in red in attached photo). I do very minor jobs on cars and never removed such a vacuum line, so apologies for the trivial question, but I'm really worried that given this line was so brittle, the other connected lines might also be, so I want to avoid any other major breakages.

How does the vacuum line disconnect from the three ends? Is it a matter of just pulling them out (gently) or do I need to be careful about something else?

Cheers guys and hope you have a good 2017!

Attached Thumbnails X150 SC Replacing Secondary Air Injection vacuum hose-sai-vacuum-hose-actual.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 AM

BTW, I did manage to reconnect the broken pieces with some rubber tubing (off my coffee machine ) in the four places. I suppose it's a 'good' temporary fix as I don't think there's a lot of vacuum pressure, correct? Car started ok with no engine lights or anything.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:38 AM

But I still need to replace the line with a new one, hence the question

Old 12-30-2016, 12:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

eejbee,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X150 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 12-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 619 Likes on 393 Posts

I had a similar problem with the lines to the supercharger on my 2009 XKR (4.2) the thin brittle lines all cracked into pieces.

I replaced all of them with a clear tube from an auto parts supplier - I think it was windshield washer hose.

Fortunately there was enough left of the old tube which I cut down to around half inch in length to push the new tube over - the repair has been good for over six months.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:21 PM

Thanks, McJag222! That's very heartening. My temporary fix should serve well then. You seem to have tackled the hoses coming out from the supercharger, which seem to be a bugger to handle as they're quite into the engine crevices. I suppose you did not need to detach the old vacuum connectors, then? Did the hoses crumble through handling or did they just crack?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 619 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Thanks, McJag222! That's very heartening. My temporary fix should serve well then. You seem to have tackled the hoses coming out from the supercharger, which seem to be a bugger to handle as they're quite into the engine crevices. I suppose you did not need to detach the old vacuum connectors, then? Did the hoses crumble through handling or did they just crack?
They all crumbled basically EJ - The one going to the back of the supercharger fell apart when fiddling around with the whole assembly and the one to the sensor - I replaced all tubes but reused the old connectors - I did think of just buying a new set of tubing and tee piece from Jag - but then I thought the stuff is made of crap plastic why bother?

The one going to the back of the supercharger and the sensor is a bit fiddly - esp. the supercharger as its covered with insulating foil - I just pulled it up and through, got the connector off, and then fed it back down there and made the other connections after that

I just check every now and then to make sure the connectors are still attached to the new tubing.

I now run with the engine cover removed as it traps heat in there in my opinion. Some have questioned whether this would cause paint problems with the hood - not so far....

Last edited by McJag222; 12-30-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:03 PM

God knows how much of the car's plastic will flake off over time, McJag, so you do have a point about the crappy material used. To think that you could be in a fix somewhere in the middle of nowhere because of a dodgy part! Thought of removing the engine cover as well; the foam also flaked off, AND I didn't even touch it! I might check out the hood temperature with or without it, it would be interesting to see.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Changed the vacuum hose, it's C2P3419 for some Eur25 from rimmerbros of the UK. Just pull out the ends gently and replace. Old one was breaking to the touch. This connects to another vacuum hose to the supercharger, which seemed happily ok, till now.