XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

X150 XK/XKR audio/speaker upgrade investigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Very true. The X350 used ultra lightweight genuine Alpine DD drive neodymium magnets & composite molded baskets and sounded phenomenal 13 years ago.
I'm very tempted to put some of these in the XKR just to see how they sound, only problem is I don't have any laying around and i'm not keen on pulling the XJR apart just for "fun".

Same speakers are used in the premium system in the X-Type too, if I find some for the right price, i might give it a go.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Cambo,
Apologies good sir. By 'educated guess' I attempted to bow to the fact you do have some knowledge backing your attempts.

My whole post was trying to point out that both you an Q&C are tackling our problem, but from different angles.
I live for technical data. Its just how my brain seems to be wired. (Electronics tech, Aircraft mechanic, Network administrator...)

Having been an audiophile at the time I was an electronics tech, taught me a lot about the intricacies of sound, so I am trying to follow each of your steps to see where improvement can be found.
I've also been part of several car audio builds, where we had pink noise generators and spectrum analyzer right in our store. This was the mid 80s, and I would think most high end shops have this capability running on a laptop by now (also an educated guess).

To close, I again applaud you and Q&C in your attempts!
I only wish that for the massive amount of effort you both are applying we could step away from 'subjective' to 'technical' so my brain can actually grasp and follow your paths.
No worries. I understand.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I only wish that for the massive amount of effort you both are applying we could step away from 'subjective' to 'technical' so my brain can actually grasp and follow your paths.
Ok, to answer your question regarding what EQ/Boost is being applied by default. I am going to answer it so that non-techical guys who are not on this thread get it too.

In previous radios, in any car, when you turned down the bass and treble to flat, that's when the stereo sounded best as there was no boost nor attenuation. At that point the amp or headunit was putting out a fullrange signal- to all channels!

Today, when you have the eq settings to flat, there is still tons of EQ boost still being applied.... in 2 different ways!

1. If you look at the driver from the door, you will see that it is in a very small enclosure- in the past the entire door chamber was the enclosure, many times larger than the current enclosure. The only way to make any speaker work according to the laws of physics in that confined of an enclosure is to apply tremendous amount of digital EQ or DSP (digital signal processing)

So whats being said is that there is a baseline EQ on a chip that is specific to making that driver work. (now if you put in a more efficient driver, you will hear some improvement because that equalization may also be helping this new driver, however it will be wrong for the most part and full of phase shifts)

2. There is a second stage of DSP, and this is where B&W comes in. A stereo system by B&W in our car is just a marketing effort. So this should not reflect poorly on them. When they are invited to add their touch to this audio system, whose parts will be supplied by Harmon and Philips, all they can do is cabin correction (room correction) via DSP. This is a non-defeatable effect to create ambience. This effect, lets call it 'hall effect' residues beneath whatever effect you might further select, such as Stero or 3 Channel sound.

As a creator of the ultimate in sounds, and having used all the best firms providing DSP, can save you time in informing that there is no such thing as perfect sound when DSP is used. Worse, as in this case, when used excessively it simply sounds terrible.

In Fact the DSP setting on the unit only gives you the option of DSP'ing for 'All' or 'Driver' there is no Off.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
1. If you look at the driver from the door, you will see that it is in a very small enclosure- in the past the entire door chamber was the enclosure, many times larger than the current enclosure. The only way to make any speaker work according to the laws of physics in that confined of an enclosure is to apply tremendous amount of digital EQ or DSP (digital signal processing)
Ummm.... which car are you referring to here? I took the door card off the XKR when I pulled out the speakers to inspect them.

The entire door cavity is the enclosure for the bass driver in the door.

X150 XK/XKR audio/speaker upgrade investigation-img_6998.jpg

X150 XK/XKR audio/speaker upgrade investigation-img_6999.jpg

X150 XK/XKR audio/speaker upgrade investigation-img_6992.jpg

I actually put my hand & forearm inside and had a feel around in there, it's not a "small enclosure", it's definitely the whole door cavity.

But one interesting thing to note on the X150, is that inner door panel is made from a sheet of aluminium. On the other alloy-body Jags like the X350, X351 and F-Type, this inner panel is made of thick moulded plastic.

You know one of the "tricks" that car audio installers do is to line all these panels with dynamat or some other dampening material. Seems a bit redundant to me when the panel is plastic, but here it's metal...

Old 11-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo

You know one of the "tricks" that car audio installers do is to line all these panels with dynamat or some other dampening material. Seems a bit redundant to me when the panel is plastic, but here it's metal...
Dynamat is a noise blocker mostly for exterior road noise, but filling the panel with wool insulation will help with controlling enclosure reflections (standing waves) which obviously affect the sound generated on the front side of the driver.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Dynamat is a noise blocker mostly for exterior road noise, but filling the panel with wool insulation will help with controlling enclosure reflections (standing waves) which obviously affect the sound generated on the front side of the driver.
Dynomat also prevents the metal panels from adding their own resonance to the cavity. You can feel this in a before and after by playing louder music and feeling the outer door skin. It adds mass to thin metal.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

So in 66 total posts so far, I've heard...
blahblahblahblahblahblahblah"Can't Do Anything"blahblahblahblahblah....

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Dcdeuce (09-08-2020), Deabs (12-25-2021), FSULongM (05-22-2019)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Ummm.... which car are you referring to here? I took the door card off the XKR when I pulled out the speakers to inspect them.
The entire door cavity is the enclosure for the bass driver in the door.
I had no difficulty mounting 6.5 inch Focals there.

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
So in 66 total posts so far, I've heard...
blahblahblahblahblahblahblah"Can't Do Anything"blahblahblahblahblah....
I'm seeing some intelligent folks trying their darnedest to reverse engineer a buggered up and complex system, while enlightening people like you and I.

Sit back, take an Alprazolam, and let them work on it.

The following 3 users liked this post by CleverName:
billqs (04-03-2019), Cee Jay (11-29-2017), wrair (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Take it from the horse's mouth, if you could solve this problem in a simple thread you could make millions right now! An entire industry full of the sharpest minds have been suffering from being locked out of the aftermarket industry.

But we if we dissect the gargantuan problem, we will be ready for all the solutions as they are materializing. And its nearly all here guys, I have waited years!

Cambo,
Its not enough space mate for a naturally aspirated 6.5" or another way to view it, in the past cars had the driver mounted on the door card, allowing the entire cavity to be the rear baffle and the door card itself as an extension of the front baffle.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I DO remember some things from my adventures way-back-when in my days of building Home Speakers. Each model driver is designed for a specific-sized enclosure, be it either ported or not-ported, baffled or not-baffled. Volume of each enclosure changed with the size and length of the port, and some respond critically to changes in either total volume or incorrect (or no) porting. Having the interior of the entire door chamber act as the enclosure is an easy way to get the wrong responses to any driver.
I surely can't remember all the formulas, references and specifications I used in my younger days, but I still remember that they EXIST. These are mostly for larger cones and throws, but even tweeters have requirements for the enclosure. I do remember long days at my desk figuring out different box sizes for each driver, and putting separate boxes for each inside a larger one for the woofer made it a PITA to refigure the net volume for the largest driver. As I said, not nearly as critical for small cones and short throws. Still matters though.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I'm waiting to see if Cambo's successful with the XF amp install. From what I've been reading in this thread, that may have the most cost effective promise.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

I still think unlocking the audio magic is as simple as rewriting the Alpine / B+W equalization. These cars sound as they do by design. We can select the program and focal location but not the individual speaker equalization. Which sucks because anything we put in place will still be driving under the same 'tune' as the stock speakers.

To me, to logically understand what's going on you need to reverse engineer the original tunes via a test frequency CD, good calibrated microphone and a spectrum analyzer. See what DB levels are produced as a system across the spectrum in each 'tune' and then start isolating speaker groups to see which are contributing what. Once you know what audio is being produced, look at the speaker inputs for how hard they are being driven at differing frequencies.

With that data you would have a base line map of the car's audio profile and would know (instead of feel) what gains (or losses) each change represents.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
To me, to logically understand what's going on you need to reverse engineer the original tunes via a test frequency CD, good calibrated microphone and a spectrum analyzer.
Yup, I've actually been tempted to dive into this head first. The hardware costs about $320, and I'd love to have it along side my o-scope and signal generator.
I just stopped by my local car audio store and asked if they had the needed hardware, but alas, as I suspected, it would take a trip to Seattle to find a true pro audio shop.
The call is a tough one, as I'm unemployed and living off of savings, so the project timing is pretty poor. I want badly to help (and I love audio toys!), so I may pull the trigger seeing we seem to have so much interest from the group.
Lemme get drunk an think about it a little more!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'd assume there are various low budget ways to do this. Making a CD for the early cars or uploading an audio file to an ipod would get the sound generated. Use a phone to record video / audio would get it close. Then use a puter program to sort out the sound level at each frequency. I know some cameras filter the mic to get rid of low frequency stuff. I think as long as you use the same test equipment and procedures as well as understand their limitation that you will get viable data.

I still think 90% of the positive results will be trial and error.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:25 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

I hope the audio engineers at Jaguar are fired since long ago!:-D Even my daughters cheap Peugeot 206 from 2005 has a lot better sound!

Old 11-30-2017, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yup, I've actually been tempted to dive into this head first. The hardware costs about $320, and I'd love to have it along side my o-scope and signal generator.
Q+C will probably wet himself but here are a few less expensive options. Figure between the two of them and an online tone generator it shouldn't be too difficult to get something readable. This was just from a couple moments browsing the Ali...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-2-...65b73353&tpp=1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-5m...StoreLevelAB=4

Old 11-30-2017, 05:29 AM

Well hey, learned something new tonight.

After cross-checking the AAM (Audio Amplifier Module) software from several X150's, it seems that Jag did some random things with the software versions.

My 2009MY XKR has a different AAM software version in it than the 2007 XKR with Alpine system, and some 2010MY XKR's with B&W system.

Actually it turns out that the 2010's have the same amp software as the 2007's.

For whatever reason my 2009MY has a different version.

This is not the first time something wierd like this has popped up, you might recall previous threads about the touchscreen software, and the latest one being the voice controls.

But, I have identified the software in the 2007 (and the 2010's we checked) and i'll load this to mine and see what it sounds like.

However, this is a funny one... based on the part numbers of the softwares, what's in my 2009 is the "B&W" version, what's in the 2010's is the "Alpine" version.

It just keeps on getting stranger the closer I look...

Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

For whatever reason my 2009MY has a different version.

Maybe because yours is a Portfolio??

I just stopped by my local car audio store and asked if they had the needed hardware, but alas, as I suspected, it would take a trip to Seattle to find a true pro audio shop.
The call is a tough one, as I'm unemployed and living off of savings, so the project timing is pretty poor. I want badly to help (and I love audio toys!), so I may pull the trigger seeing we seem to have so much interest from the group.
Lemme get drunk an think about it a little more!
I've been reading this thread out of interest but TBH, I'm fine with how the B&W system sounds in my 2010. However, Audio test is my day job. I actually work for HARMAN but I don't work on their auto systems or speakers. That said, I have the equipment to get a spectrum scan using pink noise played thru the head unit (via CD). Micing would be tricky because you would want to place stereo mics at ear level and ear direction to get the most accurate data. I could start with a cardioid mic in the driver's seat at head level with engine at idle and see what comes of it to start, and go from there.

Problem is I''m out of town and won't be able to get to this for at least a week.

Let me know if you're interested.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Maybe because yours is a Portfolio??

I've been reading this thread out of interest but TBH, I'm fine with how the B&W system sounds in my 2010. However, Audio test is my day job. I actually work for HARMAN but I don't work on their auto systems or speakers. That said, I have the equipment to get a spectrum scan using pink noise played thru the head unit (via CD). Micing would be tricky because you would want to place stereo mics at ear level and ear direction to get the most accurate data. I could start with a cardioid mic in the driver's seat at head level with engine at idle and see what comes of it to start, and go from there.

Problem is I''m out of town and won't be able to get to this for at least a week.

Let me know if you're interested.
It wont give us the full picture, as you alluded.
No microphone can hear what the human ear hears.
This is what caused the problem in the first place.

Some of the worst audio gear I have seen is where a microphone was used to mimic human ears and correction was applied based on the inaccurate measurement.

Quick Reply: X150 XK/XKR audio/speaker upgrade investigation