XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

x308 Test Drove XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default x308 Test Drove XKR

All,

Looking at something with a bit of more open air motoring while I have the opportunity. Went and test drove a 2010 XKR. Wanted to note some observations and ask a few questions. Some observations:

1. Hooo boy she was fast.
2. I loved how she sounded. I am curious how the 4.2 XKR exhaust sounds or the N/A 5.0. I love the sound of the 5.0 XKR, but honestly I don't need the power and think I could be good to save a few $ and go toward something a bit cheaper.
3. I liked the looks and the color combo more than I thought I would.
4. I was suprised, the seats didn't feel as soft as the current ride. I liked all the adjustments, but climbing into the x308 to drive home from the dealer, the cushiness of the old seats was notable (maybe mine's just been a bit more broken in).
5. The handling and ride was great.
6. The cabin felt a bit more cramped than I was expecting.

A couple of questions:

1. When the car cranked over there was a bit of what I would describe for 10 seconds of 'chain rattle' that then went away. Would this be indicative of an issue (per everyone's suggestion, I would get a PPI done before I bought).
2. For going to a 4.2, how does the exhaust note compare (I'm living a hundred or more miles from the nearest example, so not easy to go test these.
3. The car had hankook ventu's and had a bit of road noise whine. Is this a normal thing for the car? Is it just the ventu's? I am looking to do lots of highway vendor trips in it.
4. On one of the turns during the test drive, I though I noticed a slight shudder in the rear. Is this something that the PPI would find if there were an issue?
5. On the rotors, there was a small lip starting to develop on the rotor. The car was only at 22k miles, is this a normal wear amount or was that a sign of significant enthusiastic use by prior drivers?

Ride I was looking into:
2010 Jaguar XK-Series For Sale- CarGurus

Last edited by EastCoastYost; 03-11-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Mine doesn't make rattling noises when cornering. Not sure what the rear shudder would be, unless you were losing traction (which is very easy to do). I don't think there's a lip on my rotors at 36k miles, and I'm "enthusiastic" - but I've only owned it since 26k and can't be sure if the rotors have already been changed or how the previous owner drove.

Road noise varies with tyre choice and also the surfaces you drive on - yeah, I know that's obvious, but it makes it hard to compare. I have P-Zeros and spend most of my time on London streets; on the motorway, I don't find tyre noise intrusive.

The following users liked this post:
EastCoastYost (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine doesn´t also make no rattling. And I have no lips on my rotors.

Are you sure, that this car has 22k mls on the clock? The driver seat looks also very used - my seat looks like brand new.

My XKR has 24k kilometer on the clock.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

My 4.2 is fairly quiet unless stepped on, then it growls. It came with hancock tires, and I have a fair amount of tire noise.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I also have a 2010XKR. I don't have any rattling but do have a howling sound that lasts about 30-60 seconds. The Hankook tires (at least on my 20" wheels) were so noisy on the highway I had to get rid of them. They were terrible. As for the 4.2L cars, many owners prefer the sound, however adjusting exhaust sound has infinite possibilities easily accomplished at any muffler shop. Both cars have very satisfying sounds.

Last edited by tberg; 03-12-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2007 XKR does not rattle on start up, it is very smooth and hums quietly during the warm up period. I would want a qualified Jaguar tech to hear the chain rattle sound and determine what is causing it. My car has Continental DWS front and rear and IMO, they make more road noise than they need to but the grip is there when you need it. My rotors have a slight lip but I have 70k on the clock. I have seen similar ridges on a good number of XKR rotors, just thought they might be softer to provide better braking.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I'm not surprised that the seat isnt as comfortable as your XJ. They are very comfortable though. Oodles moreso than the f-type, for example. They do get better with use. I looked at the picture - the stretches in the leather look about the same as I had in my car when I got it at 40,000km (about 25,000 miles).

The engine note in the 4.2 is better IMO. I had a 4.2 XF and I think the smaller bore sounded better when it was wound up, then it was insane when I put the paramount back end on it. Apparently the 4.2 SC had the supercharger whine as well. I found the 5.0 was more raspy. The 5.0 SC is great in the XKR (I have the x pipe in it which makes it even louder and gives more of a howl). With the 'vert you get to enjoy it much more than I do in the coupe.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

The rotors on my xk are in desperate need of replacement after only 50k km , I will most likely go aftermarket
As far as the noise I have 100cell cats fitted on my 4.2 that surely liven up the exhaust note its a great sound especially when it gets up over the 4k rpm mark

Old 03-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastYost

1. When the car cranked over there was a bit of what I would describe for 10 seconds of 'chain rattle' that then went away. Would this be indicative of an issue (per everyone's suggestion, I would get a PPI done before I bought).

4. On one of the turns during the test drive, I though I noticed a slight shudder in the rear. Is this something that the PPI would find if there were an issue?
There are a few post here regarding the chain valve train noise at startup

I get that too, I am running Michelin. Been meaning to look into it myself, could be ediff.

Anyway both are common on the car. Find out what dealership in IL this car was serviced at. I nearly bought a XKR from IL and the service managers there know each car intimately. He told me the one I was interested in was driven in the winter- total deal breaker for me.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:16 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default chain rattle

Your chain rattle may be the supercharger belt tensioner. This has been discussed here in the past. As I recall, one member indicated the repair cost is about $900.00.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I have gotten cold feet moving on anything (think I am partly being cheap), but job offers to move to places with property tax is also weighing on my mind.

It was reading these forums that tipped me off to the potential issues. If I were to move on this one, I guess what I am looking for is just if those issues I thought I might have seen are safe to assume would be caught on a dealer private party inspection.

The car has 1 owner (but then this dealer put 10k miles on her), with service in Az and Fla, so no go to dealer to call on for service history.

Other item I am kicking myself for is I had seen an Indigo Blue/Caramel one that I really liked. But I let her slip. The truck is black on black, so I am torn on getting the charcoal interior and/or a black exterior. That being said, I do like the idea of the '08 portfolio exterior paint.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Other item I am kicking myself for is I had seen an Indigo Blue/Caramel one that I really liked. But I let her slip.
Get out of here, an Indigo/caramel 5.0 xkr. Yeah you effed up.
Rarer than a unicorn in USA. You sure it was the R?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Yeah, she was on autotrader listed out in California last fall. Private sale. Good price too. Never even called.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM
Default Indego blue

There are a couple of indigo/caramel cars for same currently; both n/a and s/c. The prices are steep though.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Ah yes. The one I am kicking myself over was well priced, even with California shipping.

This started after seeing an '07 for sub-20's, but then decided I didn't want to sacrifice power from the current ride. And then saw if I go to a '10 I can get a little more for a bit more. And then a '10 S/C for a bit more.... and all of a sudden the budget may have doubled. That is before getting paying for a pricier example. Which I can afford to do, but being indecisive right now doesn't begin to describe it.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Default Blue car for sale.

Are you still in the market? There is a very nice looking Blue/caramel R for sale on Long Island w/ under 20k miles. I think he wants about $47k; too far out of my budget.

EastCoastYost (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM

I am in the market, was looking to keep it under 30; or go to 40 for a 5.0 S/C. I guess I ought to take a swing at if they'd go down to meet me.

Currently looking at a '08 portfolio, though its got the black interior.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

I am in the market, was looking to keep it under 30; or go to 40 for a 5.0 S/C. I guess I ought to take a swing at if they'd go down to meet me.

Currently looking at a '08 portfolio, though its got the black interior.
If you think about it, 30 for 08 is waaaay more expensive than 40 for 5.0
You cant upgrade a 08 for 20k to catch up to the 5.0. Not just motor that's nearly 2 decades newer and more efficient- but also lots of other goodies, even on the interior, more leather less plastic.

They basically listened to Jeremy Clarkson's review and categorically fixed all that was lack luster.

I'd rather do a 07 for 20's than 08 for 30's

Cee Jay (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SickRob
Are you still in the market? There is a very nice looking Blue/caramel R for sale on Long Island w/ under 20k miles. I think he wants about $47k; too far out of my budget.
Please give us a link if you can. Seems very interesting.

Quick Reply: x308 Test Drove XKR