XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

x308 Test Drove XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
If you think about it, 30 for 08 is waaaay more expensive than 40 for 5.0
You cant upgrade a 08 for 20k to catch up to the 5.0. Not just motor that's nearly 2 decades newer and more efficient- but also lots of other goodies, even on the interior, more leather less plastic.

They basically listened to Jeremy Clarkson's review and categorically fixed all that was lack luster.

I'd rather do a 07 for 20's than 08 for 30's
I am looking for sub -30 on an 08. The portfolio also closes some of the gaps from the '10 on interior.

Also curious from a managing depreciation standpoint. I have been shocked how much the '05/'06 cars are fetching still. My outlook on the car is 2-3 years and 45-50k miles. I have it in my head a bit the '10's are likely to have a bit more depreciation. Also the tensioners on the XF 5.0 starting to crop up has a bit of a worry in the back of my head, where the 4.2 has had so long to shake out issues at this point. I haven't seen many higher millage 5.0 XKR from my searches. And a 10k differential is lots of gas/details/repairs and tires. I think there may be a few quickly dispensed of tires should I acquire one of these babies.

As I have said though, I have been really indecisive.

Last edited by EastCoastYost; 03-17-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastYost
I am looking for sub -30 on an 08. The portfolio also closes some of the gaps from the '10 on interior.

Also curious from a managing depreciation standpoint. I have been shocked how much the '05/'06 cars are fetching still. My outlook on the car is 2-3 years and 45-50k miles. I have it in my head a bit the '10's are likely to have a bit more depreciation. Also the tensioners on the XF 5.0 starting to crop up has a bit of a worry in the back of my head, where the 4.2 has had so long to shake out issues at this point. I haven't seen many higher millage 5.0 XKR from my searches. And a 10k differential is lots of gas/details/repairs and tires. I think there may be a few quickly dispensed of tires should I acquire one of these babies.

As I have said though, I have been really indecisive.
I had the same concerns.
There are plenty on 5.0 with big miles. Look at Range Rover Sport to get idea, same engine.
Depreciation is the same- you are going to lose the same proportionately. The difference is that when you are at 510hp- twin lobe sc, Variable Cam, you are in Supercar territory. The 4.2xkr was a fun car. One argument against the 5.0 as you can see from the ones you have seen with low miles, its a car you want to only use on special moments.
You already know from these blogs that folks are always looking for power. consider that on depreciation.

The 05/06 get good money because they havent been amortized like the new models and there was even less of them around. So take my car, $105k sticker, first guy takes a 30K beating, second guy takes $30k beating. The third guy will too- except he will get the least for his $30k. If what I say was not true they would never sell a new car. And most buying it from the showroom floor are of sound financial mind, thats why they got there in the first place.

Buy the car you will get the most out of, your enjoyment (life) is priceless. I imagine it is some irrational enjoyment and not wealth preservation that has lead you to a Jaguar XK as opposed to a new XE for the same money. On your final hours, after the resignation and disbelief of it ending sets in, whatever car that you will look back to as having enjoyed- buy that one!

Yes for me the 5.0 XKR was just that, been waiting for a long time for Jaguar to have a car that was once again leader of the pack, boy did it deliver its promise. I will post it for you if you like the 5.0 xkr outperforms a Lamborghini Diablo.

The following users liked this post:
sharx8 (03-19-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I'd rather do a 07 for 20's than 08 for 30's
I would too, except any 07 I find that I come close to liking, is always in the 30's. Guess that means I haven't found the right one yet (for an XK to XKR upgrade).

Old 03-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah they are convertibles thought. Look for one like the moderator of this forum, a coupe- but in an 5.0 R, nearly a unicorn in the states.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I would too, except any 07 I find that I come close to liking, is always in the 30's. Guess that means I haven't found the right one yet (for an XK to XKR upgrade).
Well car values are at an all time high right now.
Because, you can borrow money for nearly free 2%.

I suspect the window for getting an 5.0 R with low miles is closing. Most 3rd owner cars will have little miles left on them. 1 owner cars will want exuberant pricing as you see now with the 05/06.

Soon the 2010+ XKR will fall into 2 categories, well used or too highly regarded by their 1 owners. Some of the WORST cars I saw while shopping were at Jaguar dealerships, all purchased from auctions 1000s of miles away in the salt belt no less. They had under 25k miles but when thats Manhattan miles it may as well be 125k. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:38 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Car values are at an all time high? Where does that conclusion come from?

I don't think so. Unemployment and underemployment are keeping a lot of people out of the car market. A lot of us older folks have taken a 401k hit in the market over the last year. With the economy struggling as it is, it is only cheap money that keeps any sales going.

I've been watching the XK/XKR market since the Fall. There are a lot of overpriced cars just sitting, not selling. Most of the cars sell when the owner reduces the price.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SickRob
Car values are at an all time high? Where does that conclusion come from?

I don't think so. Unemployment and underemployment are keeping a lot of people out of the car market. A lot of us older folks have taken a 401k hit in the market over the last year. With the economy struggling as it is, it is only cheap money that keeps any sales going.

I've been watching the XK/XKR market since the Fall. There are a lot of overpriced cars just sitting, not selling. Most of the cars sell when the owner reduces the price.
No friend, this is the alternative reality that politicians want us to believe, because they get votes by creating false sense of misery. Ever seen one of them run on the platform of "life is good"

Yes we have hit all time highs!! across the board.

Used Cars Hit Record High Prices, Edmunds.com Report Says | Edmunds.com

Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, in the past I have seen people run on a "life is good" platform. I did so myself back in the 70's in a local election.

However if Edmonds is saying used car prices are at an all time high, that generally means people are not willing to spend the price of a new car; even with interest rates at 3% or below. To the point, I doubt that carries over into highline cars like XKR's. In fact I've seen a few come on the market recently where the owner was unabashedly acknowledging he had to sell because of the economy. The asking prices of those cars were moderate. Unfortunately they were too far from me.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

You cant upgrade a 08 for 20k to catch up to the 5.0. Not just motor that's nearly 2 decades newer and more efficient- but also lots of other goodies, even on the interior, more leather less plastic.
As well as the 5.0 engine, the 2010 XK has:
  • a better gearbox (ZF 6HP28) with faster shifts, quicker torque-converter lockup and the ability to skip gears when shifting
  • fully variable electronic dampers vs. hard/soft on the 4.2
  • an electronic limited-slip diff (XKR only)
  • Dynamic Mode, where the whole suspension system, steering, diff, etc. 'toughens up' for performance driving
  • Winter Mode for slippery conditions.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
As well as the 5.0 engine, the 2010 XK has:
  • a better gearbox (ZF 6HP28) with faster shifts, quicker torque-converter lockup and the ability to skip gears when shifting
  • fully variable electronic dampers vs. hard/soft on the 4.2
  • an electronic limited-slip diff (XKR only)
  • Dynamic Mode, where the whole suspension system, steering, diff, etc. 'toughens up' for performance driving
  • Winter Mode for slippery conditions.
And the 4.2 engine is decades old design, from the stoneage in automotive terms.
The AJ133 is the engine Jaguar gambled its life on. During Ford years, they knew Ford would not be the one to be much support, if anything they were looking to rape technology out of Jaguar. Indeed Jaguar engines, technologies were used in Ford vehicles, and nothing the other way around. So jaguar knew that they should take what little money was being trickled and put it solely on the design of a world leading engine design that was all theirs. The result was Jaguar's best engine ever, look at what they are able to do with it, use it across the board in trucks and cars alike, cut it and make an incredible V6. And the best part, get royalties from Ford for them using Jaguar Technology!!

I suppose there is a bit of patriotism there, if you are a Jaguar lover and been laughed at for having an antiquated engine- the 5.0 the the avenger from hell. Sheer bliss to put the gerries to shame who have had nothing but problems with Direct Injection and lethargic electronic cam timing. You forgot to mention the cam!

Its the Merlin engine for my era, that I can own. There is nothing wrong with being emotional and passionate, we are not Germans. However, had they invented the AJ133, they would make way more noise about it than us and way more devotees. All that to say, Jaguar remains the understated, underappreciated manufacturer by design.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention, they actually exceeded the output expectations. They say that they can get way more power out of the AJ133 and limited only to transmissions ability to handle the power.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Forgot to mention, they actually exceeded the output expectations. They say that they can get way more power out of the AJ133 and limited only to transmissions ability to handle the power.
This is what user Unhinged found with his F-type manual transmission... lots of clutch slippage after tuning... would probably lead to early automatic failure.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeanU
This is what user Unhinged found with his F-type manual transmission... lots of clutch slippage after tuning... would probably lead to early automatic failure.
They have no clue what performance is, its really no different than the guys who put the bull horns on the hood. It aint purely for the sake of performance.

Its foolhardy to believe that an OEM will leave power on the table, or something as simple as them not knowing how to setup the software. LOL they wrote it!! Especially since getting 40hp for them means millions of dollars in profits. If they could have safely gotten 600hp out of the XK- it would have put Jaguar ahead in the world in 2009. Not unlike VW making the Veyron.

Auto engineering has to work with many departments simultaneously. In the software for the 5.0 AJ133 is something that cuts the power from the engine during gear changes. More importantly they worked relentlessly with ZF (trans manufac) to make sure the engine to trans handshakes were perfect. You cant expect some fly-by-night moron with a laptop calling himself a tuner to have the know-how of both companies Jaguar and ZF. If he did they would pay him millions. LOL

You wont hurt a manual transmission, but the power will drop because from what you say it can be applied to the pavement properly. I dont know if Jaguar does something special to reduce power during manual shifts.

This Jaguar engine with a SC is a torque converter killer, because at normal shift points it has full power, i.e. metal bending torque. Other cars develop it much further into the RPM range.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

The 5.0 XKR was originally limited to 510 PS and 625 Nm because the torque converter in the ZF 6HP28 could not reliably take more - when I say 'reliably', I assume they meant "without any problems for 60k miles plus". For the 75 and then the R-S, the converter was beefed up to take additional torque, allowing the ECM fuel maps to be pushed upwards.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The 5.0 XKR was originally limited to 510 PS and 625 Nm because the torque converter in the ZF 6HP28 could not reliably take more - when I say 'reliably', I assume they meant "without any problems for 60k miles plus". For the 75 and then the R-S, the converter was beefed up to take additional torque, allowing the ECM fuel maps to be pushed upwards.
What was done between the 510 R and the 550 R-S in the transmission. If there were any differences I find it hard to believe it was more then SW. Also what is the max HP this gearbox can handle. If folks are doing tune and claiming 600+ hp wouldn't it be a problem. Is there a different converter , if so can someone post the part number so those doing the tune will know what to change to protect their gearbox.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

As I said, the information I was given was that the converter was uprated for the 75, and retained for the R-S; nothing else was mentioned. I vaguely recall from forum discussions a couple of years back that the stronger part may have become the standard component for all XKRs from 2011 onwards.

In terms of max HP, I don't know - there may be some indication on the ZF website, though I expect not. However, it's not a 'binary' thing - increasing the torque won't necessarily make the converter go bang immediately, but it may shorten its service life. As noted above, I believe Jaguar originally limited the power & torque because of long-term reliability concerns, not because the gearbox "couldn't take it" in absolute terms. They have to look at long-term service, so they may only want to load a component to (for example) 80% of its rated maximum. I've no idea how much headroom they actually leave, but I'm sure there will be room to make modest torque increases without undue impact.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by thocar:
jagtoes (03-21-2016), tberg (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

In the XKRS the transmission overheats when pushed.
Heat will kill a transmission faster than any other problem.
So even with the new torque converter, they are barely getting by.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by thocar
Read this - ZF 6 HP 28 torque 700nm
OK, so, at 625 Nm for a standard 5.0 XKR, that means 89.3% of max torque. Allowing around 10% headroom in the interests of reliability seems reasonable. The document seems to relate to the original release of the 6HP V2. Whether the stronger converter used later was from the 6HP34 or just a new version of the original 6HP28 one, I don't know.