XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK 5.0 Portfolio

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK 5.0 Portfolio

my 2009 XK seems to have the dreaded wet passenger footwell syndrome even though according to info I can find, my vin number should have the modified A/C drain fitted.
My question is I don't use the A/C but still have the problem! can anyone advise please.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

only if you have ECO mode enabled all the time.. your AC is off.. if you have it on Automatic or just pressed automatic once.. the AC is on again..
even in cold weather the AC is on to remove water from the air... so I think you must be using your AC anyways..
I'd say.. let the garage take a look with the periscope thingy.. that is usually the fastest way..
Perhaps the drain is clogged by something else..

Dont drive too long with the problem.. In my '07 XK, the vent started to make squeeky noises after the problem.. and I also had to replace the blower motor

The following users liked this post:
brijo1944 (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Agree - A/C is always on, acting as a dehumidifier when it isn't chilling the air.

The 5.0 cars have a re-designed 'duck bill' on the drain that should be much harder to gum shut - but not impossible. The length of the contact between the two sides of the bill is reduced, but not eliminated (otherwise it wouldn't do its job of keeping bugs out of your A/C system). Have you tried the standard trick of closing all the fascia vents, turning off the windscreen and foot vents and putting the blower on full blast to pressurise the system and hopefully pop the drain open?

Old 10-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated! I guess I must have the A/C on even when I thought it wasn't. Unfortunately I think its back to the garage to do further checks with a remote type camera or some such device.
My earlier jaguar just had a simple switch for A/C on or off - but then it also had a proper condensate drain tube - so much for progress eh!!