XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Appreciation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by SDCR_XK
Sometimes I forget how rare these XK’s are. Unless you have a real interest, these fall off the radar of most people,including car enthusiasts. The more car people find out about them, maybe their “ value” will rise.
My son wants an XK or XK8, he loves mine. Up until recently he's driven for UBER though so couldn't do with a GT car. Now he's off that crazy driver stuff, but since he lives in Seattle, rent kills him. He's waiting awhile to hopefully buy something in mid-summer or so.
He's sad that I sold my perfectly good 2000 XK8 Convertible seven years ago for $8500, because they still ARE $8500 for similar cars.

The following users liked this post:
gkubrak (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

I wasn't available to participate in today's discussion of market value, but I couldn't have said it any better than Bill Mack.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

So far for the most part my cars have always sold for over market value. The current inventory however is a wee bit more of a challenge.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
So far for the most part my cars have always sold for over market value. ...
Just because they sold for more than the prices listed in an online or hard copy Buyer's Guide, doesn't mean that you got more than Fair Market Value.

The price you accepted for every one of the cars you sold was its fair market value if each transaction was at arm's length between unrelated parties having equal bargaining power. You had an asking price and potential buyers responded by making offers to buy at various prices. When you received a price to your satisfaction (either at, below, or above your asking price) and you accepted it, that created a contract when you received a deposit. The arm's-length price reached by a willing seller and a willing buyer is "fair market value".

Don't fall for the value you get from a dealer just because he uses a published Used Car Price Guide (Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, NADA, etc.). Those values are carved in Jell-O! Why do you think dealers use them?

What's the FMV of a loaf of bread? It depends. The exact same loaf of bread can have different prices depending on which grocery store you shop at and if they're running a sale. And what about that house for sale? All it takes are multiple interested buyers who get into a bidding war to drive the final offer high above the seller's asking price. Those sales are all at FMV.

If you feel better knowing that you got more than fair market value, then you did. Real life is more important than an academic discussion about what something is worth.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Abby's Guy (01-14-2021), ralphwg (01-18-2021), Yus (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

We all want to the low value that our town places on the car for excise tax, but want the high value when it's time to list it for sale...

Abby's Guy (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:04 AM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

I watched that XKR on BaT in disbelief. I would have been very interested (low miles, 5.0, good colors), but there are some bidders on that forum that swing a way bigger bat (no pun intended) than I do.

I actually did get my 2007 XKR as a result of bidding on BaT. I was not high bidder, but the high bidder backed out. As is was a 'No Reserve' auction, they then hook up the seller and the next bidder, with no buyer fee. Second place bidder declined, and the car was offered to me at my highest bid, which was a fair value according to KBB. Good buys can be had on BaT, but you have to be willing to walk away if you can't get your price. No different than walking away from a dealership.

The following 4 users liked this post by 007XKR:
Abby's Guy (01-14-2021), kj07xk (01-14-2021), Simon Tan (01-14-2021), TGraves (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What if this was your car and you bought it new for $117,500?? After 18,000 miles you'd be giving your XK away for $50k. In my mind, this price is not much different from stealing it... I bought my 2001 from the original owner who was totally baffled 5 years ago when I paid $11,250. He had paid $72,000. It had 42k miles and was 100% up to date on everything it needed by the Atlanta dealer. It fell from there to nearly zero net worth and is finally moving back up as it is 20 years old this year. It is my golf cart. LOL! For anyone who wants one of the most inexpensive "used" sports cars available today, this is it.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:25 AM
Yus
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Just because they sold for more than the prices listed in an online or hard copy Buyer's Guide, doesn't mean that you got more than Fair Market Value.

The price you accepted for every one of the cars you sold was its fair market value if each transaction was at arm's length between unrelated parties having equal bargaining power. You had an asking price and potential buyers responded by making offers to buy at various prices. When you received a price to your satisfaction (either at, below, or above your asking price) and you accepted it, that created a contract when you received a deposit. The arm's-length price reached by a willing seller and a willing buyer is "fair market value".

Don't fall for the value you get from a dealer just because he uses a published Used Car Price Guide (Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, NADA, etc.). Those values are carved in Jell-O! Why do you think dealers use them?

What's the FMV of a loaf of bread? It depends. The exact same loaf of bread can have different prices depending on which grocery store you shop at and if they're running a sale. And what about that house for sale? All it takes are multiple interested buyers who get into a bidding war to drive the final offer high above the seller's asking price. Those sales are all at FMV.

If you feel better knowing that you got more than fair market value, then you did. Real life is more important than an academic discussion about what something is worth.
Wonderfully stated!
it’s FMV if someone is willing to pay a price that one is comfortable with.

Stuart S (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bidding in general..

Originally Posted by 007XKR
I watched that XKR on BaT in disbelief. I would have been very interested (low miles, 5.0, good colors), but there are some bidders on that forum that swing a way bigger bat (no pun intended) than I do.

I actually did get my 2007 XKR as a result of bidding on BaT. I was not high bidder, but the high bidder backed out. As is was a 'No Reserve' auction, they then hook up the seller and the next bidder, with no buyer fee. Second place bidder declined, and the car was offered to me at my highest bid, which was a fair value according to KBB. Good buys can be had on BaT, but you have to be willing to walk away if you can't get your price. No different than walking away from a dealership.
Exactly.
I have bought several cars and pieces of eqpt at auction. You do your research, decide what it's worth TO YOU, and stand by your decision.
You might not pay as much for a color, style or engine as someone else, but they will. That's an auction.
I've bid up something because it fit what I wanted, but I knew how high I was willing to go.
You can't bid with a chip on your shoulder either! There seems there is always another "whatever" come along, so getting upset is fruitless.

007XKR (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Started visiting BaT in the past year or so. Thought the title implied that this would be a craigslist type site where cars that need some work and TLC could be had as the name suggests. Perhaps some that could be flipped. I found that the majority of cars I am interested in are already restored condition and there would be no need to bring a trailer. Also noted that most prices are high retail or auction level (which makes sense as it is an auction format).

As for the value of the XK's, an almost exact copy of my 2008 XKR convertible went at Barrett-Jackson auction for $26,500 years ago. Granted there are big buyer and seller fees. It is only as valuable as someone what someone is willing to pay for it. There is a historical 15 year old trend for cars like these for appreciation curve to begin, you may be seeing the start of this. Jags have a stigma for reliability that I do not experience with my XKR. May be on the expensive side of maintenance and and repair for the average Joe. In any event, it may take the right person to be in the room to sell at your best price. Personally, I have no problem keeping the XKR until the right price comes by. It is a timeless design, has great performance and I can do most of the maintenance and repair myself. Recently insured as recreational driving only with Grundy and saved thousands. Plus it is paid for... so I keep asking myself, why and I selling it?

Old 01-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I too thought BaT was for project cars but at least now it appears to be for cars that are so expensive you are afraid to drive them so you have them trailered home. I had gone there to check out some of the early 70's Datsun Z cars. I have a 1971 240Z that was a one owner 70k mile Texas car for $6k in 2007. I knew these cars had increased a bit lately in interest and value but some of the prices there blew me away. A few outliers were just ridiculous. I had been looking for a XKR for a couple years too because the prices were relatively low but seemed to be rising. Fortunately I snagged a 2003 XKR convertible with 60k for $14500 from a dealer last March. Since then, and possibly because of BaT the prices seemed to have been going up and up especially on eBay.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:54 AM
Received 94 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The dealer irked me though that I needed a "concrete offer" before I could even test drive it or get it inspected; on a 30k car; so I passed.
Ooooh, I had the same experience trying to look at an F-Type S sometime in late 2019. I pulled up to the dealership in my XKR and I'd never even test driven an F-Type, but I was very interested in this specific one to see. They told me they couldn't do a test drive unless I was very serious about putting an offer on it that day. Mind you, I was a current Jaguar owner and I'm in my mid-30s, so not some young kid who can't afford it.

​​​​​​Joke's on those ********, because I ended up buying a more expensive Ferrari. But it just pisses me off with these ignorant dealers who play games like that.

The following 4 users liked this post by resident_fng:
007XKR (01-14-2021), Cee Jay (01-14-2021), mosesbotbol (01-14-2021), Popbumper (01-18-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I tried to sell my Father's 2008 XJ-8 Vanden Plas on Bring-a-Trailer (BaT) in February, right before the Pandemic. A similarly appointed 2008 Vanden Plas went for $16,000+ in January. BaT refused to take the listing for my father's car: The car that went for $16,000+ on BAT had about 50,000 miles on it and was from a Southern State (Florida I think). BaT argued that you couldn't compare a car with low miles to a car with 136,000 miles, especially a New York car vs. Florida car. "Lots of original life left in the low miles one" BaT said.

I realized $6,800 for the XJ-8 on eBay, had a good bidding war going between 2-3 very interested buyers. $10,000 difference in value and 85,000 difference in mileage.

When I think of all the happy miles my father put in on the XJ-8 (he loved the car), I understand. I think we should all drive the hell out of our cars, enjoy them and use them up! What's the fun of a garage queen?

Dad turned 89 in November, he's currently driving a new (leased) Hyundai Genesis. He says "I like the Genesis, I loved the Jaguar."

I tell Dad before he sets off on a journey (as they do in England):
"Keep it between the hedges with the rubber-side down"

nedintexas (01-18-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Finally XK are getting some attention.
An XKR-S have Ben sold last month for more then 50 k$.
our beauty will get collectible soon

Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

As far as I am concerned, the XK is a collectible. Pretty much low production numbers in the states, all aluminum, performance, upscale/high line model.

So far as the elderly and high performance cars TR64ever, I'm currently working on my 85 year old dad's Taurus SHO. Mostly maintenance oil/fluid/filter changes, tire rotation, brakes...but have noticed quite a bit of curb rash and scrubs on front rims. He will not give up the 365HP twin turbo and claims that he hasnt hit any curbs or other. You wonder where we all get it from!

Old 01-14-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I feel like those of you who think this represents rising of fair market value for XKs have not experienced Bring a Trailer before.

For certain cars, prices on there are so stupidly high, they get articles written about them

https://jalopnik.com/congratulations...-00-1844471061

Of course this XK will be factored into the general range of fair value, but it also could be a one-off where someone really, really wanted that car.

The following 2 users liked this post by silvertonesx24:
007XKR (01-14-2021), resident_fng (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm on a couple of non Jaguar forums, and the “ BaT crazy bidding” is always being discussed. Some feel that BaT reaches a vast, international audience, which inflates bidding. I don't know what it is, but some bidders end up spending a whole lot more for certain cars.

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
I feel like those of you who think this represents rising of fair market value for XKs have not experienced Bring a Trailer before.

For certain cars, prices on there are so stupidly high, they get articles written about them

https://jalopnik.com/congratulations...-00-1844471061

Of course this XK will be factored into the general range of fair value, but it also could be a one-off where someone really, really wanted that car.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BaT was more fun when it was just collecting and listing interesting cars from across the web to raise awareness.

At some point, it got into the business of clearing sales itself, and became pretty exclusive for the collector - if you plan on actually buying and driving a car, BaT adds a premium, as that not what it's really selling any more.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hay naw! That’s sounds good to me

Originally Posted by TR64ever
I tried to sell my Father's 2008 XJ-8 Vanden Plas on Bring-a-Trailer (BaT) in February, right before the Pandemic. A similarly appointed 2008 Vanden Plas went for $16,000+ in January. BaT refused to take the listing for my father's car: The car that went for $16,000+ on BAT had about 50,000 miles on it and was from a Southern State (Florida I think). BaT argued that you couldn't compare a car with low miles to a car with 136,000 miles, especially a New York car vs. Florida car. "Lots of original life left in the low miles one" BaT said.

I realized $6,800 for the XJ-8 on eBay, had a good bidding war going between 2-3 very interested buyers. $10,000 difference in value and 85,000 difference in mileage.

When I think of all the happy miles my father put in on the XJ-8 (he loved the car), I understand. I think we should all drive the hell out of our cars, enjoy them and use them up! What's the fun of a garage queen?

Dad turned 89 in November, he's currently driving a new (leased) Hyundai Genesis. He says "I like the Genesis, I loved the Jaguar."

I tell Dad before he sets off on a journey (as they do in England):
"Keep it between the hedges with the rubber-side down"

I had 40 k when I got my car I’m over 70k and about to drop another 800 on it just drive it to hell.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 2007 XKR a year ago from a local Jaguar Dealership. I can report that the price I paid was very similar to the XKRs being sold on BaT at that time and compared closely with ads on several sites (Cargurus.com, Cars.com etc). So I understanding there can be outliers on BaT but the average sales prices seem to track the car market in my limited experience with BaT. Bare in mind condition is never the same between two identical vehicles & condition/maintenance can sway the price significantly.

Quick Reply: XK Appreciation?