XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Back Seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts
Default XK Back Seat

I'm reading that the XK's back seat is quite small, but how small is it really? Purses only? Is it as small as a 911's backseat?

OK I'll cut to the chase. Can slender supermodels fit in the back seat for any length of time?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My 5 feet 1 inch 12 yr old fits in the back as long as my wife puts the passenger seat forward. I don't think either would like to go on a 9 hour road trip but on a short shopping trip it can work. So it depends on if your super model is 5 ft or 6 foot!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Back seat is fine for smaller kids, but not adults. They are similar to the 911's. My 4 and 5 year old fit fine.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well let me say that I already have pretty short legs as the driver, so is the issue legroom, or is it that the side bolsters on the seat are really torturous?

The back seats in my Mustang are actually pretty roomy as far as a coupe goes!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an Audi RS4 prior to my Jag and the back seat in that car could accommodate an adult comfortably.

The XK back seat is another thing entirely. My husband has a 911 and I think his back seat might just be a tad bigger than the Jag if you can believe it.

We have a 12 year old son who is probably within a few weeks of no longer fitting in the back seat, even with the passenger seat moved up as far as I can comfortably fit in it. I'm 5'3" so it's not like I'm a giant either!!

We had a mini-emergency where my Mom needed a ride home and my Jag was the only car available. I managed to squeeze myself into the back seat and had a very uncomfortable and claustrophobic ride to her house so it's doable, but I would really only consider it an emergency back seat for anyone over the age of 12.

Other than that - the XKR is a ridiculously gorgeous car, inside and out. Performance is scary-fast and lightening quick.

Sandy

Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Small children and packages only....
My 15 year old son is a bean pole and about 5'5"....no go.....

Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm.... that's too bad. This could be a deal breaker! I really wanted a 4 seat vert that could fit 2 adults in the back for up to 30 minutes at a time! But it sounds like even sitting there for 5 minutes is a real chore!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hmmmm.... that's too bad. This could be a deal breaker! I really wanted a 4 seat vert that could fit 2 adults in the back for up to 30 minutes at a time! But it sounds like even sitting there for 5 minutes is a real chore!
You can forget about having two adults sitting in the back seats for 30 minutes, or even five minutes. It's physically impossible for two adults to get their bodies back there at all... unless maybe they were yoga freaks, who can fold their bodies in half and place their legs behind their heads. The backseats are not fit for human beings. They are a complete waste of space.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

When I was shopping for my XK I ran into a guy who said he was in the insurance business and claimed that the XK's back seat served only one purpose - to lower insurance premiums. He said as long as the auto insurance companies considered the car a four seater and not a two seat sports car, then the rates would be lower.

Other than that, it's a good place to keep my hat. Until I take the top down, of course.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Go test drive an Audi S5 Cabriolet... You may be surprised....

Now excuse me..... I need to go hide from my fellow Jag owners for a while...

Vince

Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by sandydlc
The XK back seat is another thing entirely. My husband has a 911 and I think his back seat might just be a tad bigger than the Jag if you can believe it.
She is speaking the truth. Not only are the seats just as small, the front seats are just inches from the back seat.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Not sure if you've actually looked at an XK yet, but in at least a vert it really is obvious there's no room for legs, and the back is quite straight. Even child/baby/booster seats are the devil to install apparently. It's really a finely upholstered parcel shelf that's a delight to have and use.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah if 2 adults in the back is a requirement, I think I'd not even look at it just to spare yourself the disappointment in the case that you really like the car otherwise. The back seats are ridiculous. I'm 6'1" and the first time I got back there to give everything a good cleaning, I just started laughing... couldn't help it. For me to fit at all I'd have to lose not only my legs but also my head and shoulders.

When I'm driving, I literally can't get my hand between the front seat and the back seat without touching both.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName

Vince
That's a nice looking car on the outside, when compared to anything but the XK. However, the interior of Audis (other than the A8 model) can not touch the luxury of the XK. Audis do have better electronics, though.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
However, the interior of Audis (other than the A8 model) can not touch the luxury of the XK.
Not saying I does, but Audi is no slouch in the high-end "Fit and Finish" world. It's interiors have consistently received praise when compared to its counterparts from MB and BMW.

A very worthy car with a useable back seat for the OP to at least test drive.

Vince

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Not saying I does, but Audi is no slouch in the high-end "Fit and Finish" world. It's interiors have consistently received praise when compared to its counterparts from MB and BMW.

A very worthy car with a useable back seat for the OP to at least test drive.

Vince
You're right. If a usable back seat is his most important requirement, then that might be the perfect car for him.

While no one is ever going to complain about owning an Audi, when I was doing my research, I was shocked at the drop off in quality of the materials used from the A8, down to the other models. In fact, the first car I looked at last year was the A7, and I was completely underwhelmed with the materials in the interior. I had assumed that since it was only one step down from the A8, then it would be basically the same level of luxury. However, it isn't....by a long shot.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Vince
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm really just not interested in those. Not exclusive enough, I see them everywhere where I live.

For me, wanting an XK has more to do with style, sound, and perhaps most of all having a piece of that glorious Le Mans race-winning heritage!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Audi will never be like a Jag, two different ethos.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't think of them as back seats. I think of them as luxury leather grocery bag holders.

Quick Reply: XK Back Seat