XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 08:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xkr battery drainage

m about to buy a o7 xkr , the owner told me he had a battery drainage problem , that he put a regulatior on the battery . Would that take care of the problem ? I dont have a garage so i dont have the means to keep a charger on it . Will i really need to keep car on charger ? Im a littel freaked out about this problem

Old 03-03-2024, 09:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a battery drain issue on a couple of our Jags. Our first Jaguar is an 1995 XJ6. This car was killing batteries left and right on me. Could not
figure out why. I had to isolate each circuit by pulling a fuse to eliminate that circuit. I did find the problem. In each door is a micro switch that is related to
the security system. That switch tells the Body Control module that the door is locked. I had one of those switches that was stuck and the security
system remained active all the time. Normally, it will "go to sleep" after awhile. The security system was draining the battery. This seems to be a
common problem in many models. I've had a similar problem on our S-type. That is where I would start to look.
There is an option. There is a device called a battery isolator. It works with a remote control. The device is placed on the battery, between the battery
and the main battery connection. Pressing the button on the remote will totally disconnect the battery so it cannot drain. Of course this means the
security system will not be active. But that is the trade off. I have seen this device listing on a web site called TEMU.

best of luck.
Axle

Old 03-03-2024, 10:28 AM

Thank you . He said he put a battery regulator on the battery . Would that solve the problem? Im a lil nervous as this is my 1st 07xkr

Old 03-03-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jaguarjoecool
Thank you . He said he put a battery regulator on the battery . Would that solve the problem? Im a lil nervous as this is my 1st 07xkr
All a battery regulator will do is control the voltage that goes into the system. It keeps the voltage steady so there are no spikes.
I suggested a Battery Disconnect device. It is placed on the battery between the battery and the cable connection. It is activated with a small remote.
This totally disconnects the battery so there is no drain. The only problem with this system, is that is disables your security system. Also, every time
it is used. The system will do a Cold Boot. This will mess up the clock and could effect radio programming etc.
I mentioned finding it on a Web site called TEMU. That was incorrect. You will find a good selection of these for a very reasonable price on "AliExpress"
Simple type in the search window "remote battery disconnect".

Old 03-03-2024, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advice . I was so stoked about getting car . Now im a lil worried tho . Those arent hard to install ? And will it hurt car Not having any juice ?

Old 03-03-2024, 06:06 PM

Has anyone pin pointed the cause of battery drain ? Is it fixable ? I dont have a garage to put battery maintainer . Its a 07 xkr i donr know if i should try getting it fixed but im worried about getting the car now

Old 03-03-2024, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I'm about to buy an o7 XKR , the owner told me he had a battery drainage problem and that he put a regulator on the battery . Would that take care of the problem ? I don't have a garage so I don't have the means to keep a charger on it . Will I really need to keep the car on a charger?
Some battery drain problems are because of a less than optimum battery condition. Others drain more because of unknown problems and are sometimes very difficult to find. Other people have battery drain because the car sits for extended periods of time without running. Sometimes even a bad or corroded ground point can cause this.
I'd assume a 'Regulator' meant........ actually, I've no idea WHAT that would mean. Maybe he meant "Maintainer"??? Those are somewhat similar to 'trickle chargers' but are MUCH better, and trickle chargers should NEVER be used as they burn out batteries. Most in this forum with a problem or those who park a lot use CTEK brand battery maintainers.
Check the battery first. MINIMUM 12.6 volts after sitting overnight and cold.
Also, for me personally, could you use a ZERO instead of an "o" on the '07 XKR? Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (03-05-2024), jahummer (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Some battery drain problems are because of a less than optimum battery condition. Others drain more because of unknown problems and are sometimes very difficult to find. Other people have battery drain because the car sits for extended periods of time without running. Sometimes even a bad or corroded ground point can cause this.
I'd assume a 'Regulator' meant........ actually, I've no idea WHAT that would mean. Maybe he meant "Maintainer"??? Those are somewhat similar to 'trickle chargers' but are MUCH better, and trickle chargers should NEVER be used as they burn out batteries. Most in this forum with a problem or those who park a lot use CTEK brand battery maintainers.
Check the battery first. MINIMUM 12.6 volts after sitting overnight and cold.
Also, for me personally, could you use a ZERO instead of an "o" on the '07 XKR? Thanks.
thank you very much for the info . Im looking at car tommorrow just hope hes honest when i ask him how bad the problem really is

Old 03-04-2024, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

thank you very much for the info . Im looking at car tommorrow just hope hes honest when i ask him how bad the problem really is
It's not really about honesty here, it's knowing what the actual issue is. Can he provide you with a history of the car? Is the the original owner? If not, how long has he owned it? There's just so much more info needed here, in general, to be able to make a good decision.

There's TONS of threads on this forum which cover every possible variable regarding batteries. Might want to start searching and reading.

These are great cars when, like any really, properly cared for. Neglected examples should be avoided.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the advice . I was so stoked about getting car . Now im a lil worried tho . Those arent hard to install ? And will it hurt car Not having any juice ?
No, not difficult to install. I would not plan on using this device for the life of the car. What it can do is buy you time to locate the cause of the battery drain.
This allows a person to disconnect the battery during the night, so you don't wake up to a dead battery.
One thing I did learn, is a person cannot disable the security system in these cars. That causes to many other problems.
I don't know what your level of skill is for working on cars. You will need to download the wiring schematics for this make and model. This will help you identify
each circuit. It takes a very systematic approach in finding these kind of issues. Because the battery is draining during the night time. I would begin by looking
at the systems that are active when the ignition is off. The security system being the most likely culprit. Look at the devices that answer to that system. Door
switches. Every door has a switch that tells the system if they are open or closed. If just one switch is not working correctly. The security system will remain
active and on alert the entire night. The system will continually check the status of the vehicle throughout the entire night. Draining the battery.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:30 PM

Thank you , na my skills are very limited but know a good shop to take it too . Grewr advice though. It was raining today so i couldnt test car today

Old 03-05-2024, 05:44 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
It's not really about honesty here, it's knowing what the actual issue is. Can he provide you with a history of the car? Is the the original owner? If not, how long has he owned it? There's just so much more info needed here, in general, to be able to make a good decision.

There's TONS of threads on this forum which cover every possible variable regarding batteries. Might want to start searching and reading.

These are great cars when, like any really, properly cared for. Neglected examples should be avoided.
+1. There’s also a ton of amateur rumor and inaccurate assumption through inadequate diagnosis which leads to wrong root cause, lol. The trouble for the newbie is deciphering which is the crap from which is the applicable.

As many of us know, RTFM. The Workshop Manual is loaded with useful information.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There are only a few folks that actually make the battery with dozens of brands slapping their own labels on them. Therefore, go with whomever provides the best warranty. I got a really good deal from AAA (membership gives a pretty decent discount). Walmart, Autozone, Advance, O'Reiley, or NAPA had nothing that came within $50 of what I found at AAA. When that battery turned out to have an internal fault, they replaced it a couple months later with no questions asked or charge for the labor.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:46 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

There is no free lunch. Typically, you get what you pay for. I suspect some would never go with an https://www.optimabatteries.com

Old 03-05-2024, 11:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would definitely consider an Optima - can they fit in the Jag holder?

Old 03-05-2024, 04:58 PM

Is interstate batteries good for jags?

Old 03-05-2024, 05:19 PM
Received 198 Likes on 115 Posts

-Lock your jaguar after you get out every time

-Don't leave anything plugged into OBD2 port,

-Make sure your alternator is functioning properly

-Regularly drive it to keep it charged

-Make sure your battery is not too old

-If you have a non-functioning module, it needs to be unplugged or bypassed
so it does not drain your battery, most common failing module is the bluetooth phone module.

-Yes interstate AGM battery is good

Old 03-06-2024, 05:32 AM
Default XK Batteries

Is interstate batteries good for jags?
Before I replaced it, I had an Interstate battery, and provided I kept the car locked when not in use, it worked just fine. I cannot confirm for other models, but for my 07 XKR, the space for the battery is somewhat adjustable. And yes, I did replace the Interstate AGM battery last year.

I spent the extra $$ and upgraded to Lithium. I am way more than pleased with the results. All the little low-voltage gremlins, like initial loss of cruise control, or issues with XM/Sirius updates, have completely disappeared. Just returned from a three week absence with the car left locked in the garage, probably 24 days on battery only and it started immediately with zero issues. I'll ever go back to normal batteries again. The manufacturer I chose was Antigravity. Oh, and I probably dropped 50 lbs. of weight in the swap.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (03-06-2024)