XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Cabriolet year 2007 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XK Cabriolet year 2007 - questions

Hey there. I joined this forum becouse i need some help from all you peps out there that knows about jags??.

I am on the way to change my Porsce Carrera S 997 year 2005 for a Jaguar XK Cabriolet year 2007. The Jag by the way has only 33.000 km on the clock and is in new condition. But its not being sold by a Jaguar dealer. Thats why i have a few questions before i do this transaction??.

I live in Spain Canary Islands and we do have Jaguar dealership on the island for future repair and service. But there is almost none XK driving about!. Makes it more special. I keep on reading all this nightmare stories about this car??. And i never had one single problem with my carrera!. But i just love the looks of the XK Cab!. So as the dealer dosent know much about the cars function i will ask you??.

1. How do i know if the XK has the premium sound system??.All i see is the Alpine logo on the front door speaker if that tells you anything??.
2. Can i pair a Iphone 5 with the bluetooth system in this car??.
3. How do i get to use ipods and so on on the system?. Does Jaguar have something you can buy and install??.

The car dealer has written on the ad that its a XK year 2006??. Its the new shape for sure!. When did the new shape come out??.I defenetly have more questions coming. The Car is on a neighbour island and i havent seen it in person yet?. Only good photos!. I just want to know more about this car before a make a decicion to change my Carrera S to a jag xk!!. I love the carrera and never had problems with it as i told you before?. Its not a cab do. And where i live we never have winter or cold days. We have 350 sun days a year that is the most in the world accualy!. So a cab is a great thing as you can use it with top down every day here!. And of all the cabsi seen the XK is just stunningly beautiful!.

There are 2 Jags Cabriolets for sale on the Islands. One XK 2006/7??. And one XKR Cab 2008. But the XKR is 18.000 euro more expensive in price. And i think i like the look better and coulor on the normal XK?. Please all you jag lovers!!. Should i become a jag owner or what??. I am very tempted!!. But need my questions answerd by you guys who know what you are talking about!!.

Best Regards Forza79

Last edited by GGG; 05-10-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: insert line breaks
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Forza79,

I've moved your question from Off Topic section to the XK/XKR section. Members here will be able to advise on the spec of the 2006MY XK.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for and the deal on the XK works out.

Graham

Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Forza79,

I've moved your question from Off Topic section to the XK/XKR section. Members here will be able to advise on the spec of the 2006MY XK.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for and the deal on the XK works out.

Graham
I will not hesitate one second to change, i believe it is 2006 first year model (new body).
oh sorry I did not read it well enough...I will go with the xkr.
Compare tires / suspensions conditions of each, via mileage too, but the 2008 may be better.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,270 Likes on 1,370 Posts

1) you mention "nightmare stories" with the XK.....what nightmare? A very large number of the complaints/symptoms are caused by low battery voltage - by batteries which are reaching the end of their life. These cars need FULL voltage all the time. If they have it, there are virtually NO electrical problems. It is a very good idea to keep a "battery minder" on the battery when the car is not being used.
2) the "New" body XK was introduced in 2006, and in most countries it was sold as a 2007 model.
3) the car is wired for Bluetooth and the i-phone should work with it
4) the Premium sound system has Alpine speakers, but the standard system also has Alpine speakers; it is not easy to tell until you have the car - the AUDIO screen will show an option for the Dolby Pro Logic II setting if it has premium sound. The rest of he Premium system (the subwoofer, centre dash speaker and amplifier) are hidden.
5) the XK is very powerful and fast; on Las Canarias it is unlikely that you will ever be able to use the power of the XKR - and the ride is more harsh.
6) if you buy it, buy a new battery and keep it fully charged - this will avoid problems - ¡todo tipo de problema electrónico!

Gregory

Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM
fma
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

iPhone 5 and bluetooth work just fine on my wifes 07 XKR. As others have said, keep the battery in top condition (we use a battery tender) and you may want to check the condition of the battery when you first get the car.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,360 Likes on 3,486 Posts

[QUOTE=Forza79;734656]Hey there. I joined this forum becouse i need some help ...

1. How do i know if the XK has the premium sound system??.All i see is the Alpine logo on the front door speaker if that tells you anything??.
2. Can i pair a Iphone 5 with the bluetooth system in this car??.
3. How do i get to use ipods and so on on the system?. Does Jaguar have something you can buy and install?

Forza79,

Welcome to the forum. Here you'll find everything you wanted to know and more!

I recommend the XKR over the XK if you can afford the higher price. The XKR handling is sharper, engine is more powerful and responsive, and the styling is better, in my opinion. My XKR has 20" wheels and the ride is not harsh or uncomfortable. I believe the European 2006 model is equivalent to the USA 2007 model. If so, then the 2008 XKR that you're considering is equivalent to the USA 2009 model (4.2L). In response to your questions above:

1. Premium sound on EU2008/USA2009 models are identified by the Bowers & Wilkins logo on the speakers in the front doors. Here's mine:

2. Jaguar introduced iPod connectivity as standard equipment in the USA2009 models. Controls are on the steering wheel and touchscreen. An Audio Connectivity Module is available from your Jaguar dealer for retrofit to earlier models, however, I don't know if that includes touchscreen control. Your iPod won't charge unless you buy the newer Jaguar iPod cable (US$100) or a Scosche adapter (US$16). For details, see this thread:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nano-6g-50122/ I bought the Scosche and it works great!

Here's my iPod connector in the armrest:

Good luck, and I think you'll enjoy the XKR.

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails XK Cabriolet year 2007 - questions-sw_800.jpg   XK Cabriolet year 2007 - questions-7w_800.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

3. How do i get to use ipods and so on on the system?. Does Jaguar have something you can buy and install??.

Purchase an 'ACM' module from Jaguar.

No nightmare here, these are some of the most reliable cars Jaguar ever built.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Look for the seats with the holes in them and Alpine sound system. Adaptive cruise control will have a foam looking box in the middle of the front grill. You'll enjoy the Jag, very easy to drive, great at speed. Easy to live with. The nose is quite long and is very hard to gauge when parking.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Look for the seats with the holes in them and Alpine sound system. Adaptive cruise control will have a foam looking box in the middle of the front grill. You'll enjoy the Jag, very easy to drive, great at speed. Easy to live with. The nose is quite long and is very hard to gauge when parking.
Thanks guys!!!. I am very thankful for all the help!!. I am strongly tempted to buy the XK/XKR??. But the XK i seen has almost no milage on it!. Its really in a perfect condition!. Its marine blue metallic with 20inc rims and beige leather and the darker wood trim!. I love my Carrera S 997!. But i am 6.3 foot. And its a coupe and i do feel crampt!. I just want a good sized cruise car to enjoy!. And the XK i seen is nicer then the XKR in my liking. Speed is not the most important thing. Its comfort and style. I will be able to use the cabriolet here every day of the year if i want. You guys talk about the battery??. Shall i ask the dealer to change the battery before i buy it??. Or shall i pay and let Jaguar do it??. The car is originally from the jaag dealers here. So the car has full service history.The car has 34.000 km on the clock. I dont know in miles?. But its very little in car here in europe anyways. Its a beautiful sunny holiday island here where i live. And i think the jaag will fit right in!!. Still dont get the premium sound thing??. On the car i am looking at the front speaker on the door has the Alpine badge glued to it?. Is that a clue??. The car is not here on the Island i live on. Thats why i would like as much info as possible before i see it live. Many thanks to all you guys!!. Amazing!!.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forza79
Thanks guys!!!. I am very thankful for all the help!!. I am strongly tempted to buy the XK/XKR??. But the XK i seen has almost no milage on it!. Its really in a perfect condition!. Its marine blue metallic with 20inc rims and beige leather and the darker wood trim!. I love my Carrera S 997!. But i am 6.3 foot. And its a coupe and i do feel crampt!. I just want a good sized cruise car to enjoy!. And the XK i seen is nicer then the XKR in my liking. Speed is not the most important thing. Its comfort and style. I will be able to use the cabriolet here every day of the year if i want. You guys talk about the battery??. Shall i ask the dealer to change the battery before i buy it??. Or shall i pay and let Jaguar do it??. The car is originally from the jaag dealers here. So the car has full service history.The car has 34.000 km on the clock. I dont know in miles?. But its very little in car here in europe anyways. Its a beautiful sunny holiday island here where i live. And i think the jaag will fit right in!!. Still dont get the premium sound thing??. On the car i am looking at the front speaker on the door has the Alpine badge glued to it?. Is that a clue??. The car is not here on the Island i live on. Thats why i would like as much info as possible before i see it live. Many thanks to all you guys!!. Amazing!!.
Yes ask the dealer to change the battery and show you the paper work. You don't want one recharged, you need a new one. Even for a 2008, again more for a 2006. You probably have to change the tires soon too...I will say 50% of the dealership will tell you the tires are good when indeed they need to be changed. Or pay 2000 euros less.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-11-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Forza,

Welcome to the forum.

I spent a lot of time shopping for my XK, and spent some time going back and forth between XK's and XKR's. I have absolutely no regrets with my 2007 XK convertible.

While shopping I was consistently surprised to see how difficult is was to determine which options came with the car. Even Jag dealers usually did not know. When I asked about options they would mention standard systems such as the nav system, or power steering - things build into every single car. This was even more puzzling considering how few options were available. In 2007 (US model year) there were just 3.

The Bowers & Wilkins audio system, as mentioned above, did not come in until 2009. In 2007 the standard audio system had 6 speakers and 160 watts of power. The upgrade got 8 speakers and 525 watts. I certainly would not pass on the car just because it does not have upgraded audio as you can have a better system put in yourself.

If you contact the Jag dealer they should be able to give you a copy of the Build Sheet (or some similarly named document) that shows the original equipment that came with the car. In the US some dealers gave me a copy with no problem others mentioned privacy issues or some such thing and required more persuasion.

As I'm typing this I keep glancing at my bookshelf. It has a Lonely Planet "Canary Islands" and a Thomas Cook guide to Fuerteventura. My wife and I had been thinking about a visit during the winter here - I'm envious of your 350 days of sunshine. Good luck with your Jaguar shopping!

Tony

Old 05-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

If you can find out the full VIN you can look up the build spec yourself at TOPIx - TOPIx. If you register you can put the VIN into the vehicle selection screen.

That will show you the basic details but if you then click on more... you will see much more info on the car, including whether it has a premium sound system or not.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
Yes ask the dealer to change the battery and show you the paper work. You don't want one recharged, you need a new one. Even for a 2008, again more for a 2006. You probably have to change the tires soon too...I will say 50% of the dealership will tell you the tires are good when indeed they need to be changed. Or pay 2000 euros less.
Make sure to measure the tread in the center of the rear tires. The depth can be quite deceiving visually. The wide tires don't wear as much towards the sides. My car as 26K miles and I am on my third set of tires!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Make sure to measure the tread in the center of the rear tires. The depth can be quite deceiving visually. The wide tires don't wear as much towards the sides. My car as 26K miles and I am on my third set of tires!

Mosesbotbol you doing some racing in the streets ? 3 set at 26 k miles with a xk...its a lot no?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM

1996 when the last generation of XK8 was relesed!. I thougt it was the most beautiful car in the world!. It was my dream car!!. But i was a teen and in school at that time!. So a dream was all it could be at the time!. In 2003 i was close to buy one but family reasons stopped me and i got a 4.6is BMW X5 instead!. Could not afford both at the time. I had a lot of cars in my life!. But only german cars!!. They are in a class of its own!. And in Europe we like our german cars hahaha!. But today i own for the first time 1 american car!. The 300C Hemi 5.7. And i own a 997 Carrera S as well. Thats the car i am selling buying a Jaag XK Cab. I think its like that if you have a childhood dream!!. Then once in your life you must have it if you can afford it!. I never dreamed about Porsches as i kid!!. I dreamed sbout the XK8/XKR as a kid!. My heartbeat raised every time i seen one!!. Still does today!. But one the other side the XK Jaag is the only Jaguar i ever liked!!. I really mean non other Jaag!!. But the XK is as i said in a class of its own. On thursday i am finalizing what to do with the dealer and the XK cab!!. We shall see??. I hope he gives me a solid offer as i am traiding in a car (997) that has a second hand value of around 13.000 euros more then the XK he is selling!. So waiting for a answer!. Thanks guys you are all a big help!. Feel good about my purchase now!!. Enjoy your sunday!!. Here we have 35 degres celsios today!!. Hoooor!!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forza79
1996 when the last generation of XK8 was relesed!. I thougt it was the most beautiful car in the world!. It was my dream car!!. But i was a teen and in school at that time!. So a dream was all it could be at the time!. In 2003 i was close to buy one but family reasons stopped me and i got a 4.6is BMW X5 instead!. Could not afford both at the time. I had a lot of cars in my life!. But only german cars!!. They are in a class of its own!. And in Europe we like our german cars hahaha!. But today i own for the first time 1 american car!. The 300C Hemi 5.7. And i own a 997 Carrera S as well. Thats the car i am selling buying a Jaag XK Cab. I think its like that if you have a childhood dream!!. Then once in your life you must have it if you can afford it!. I never dreamed about Porsches as i kid!!. I dreamed sbout the XK8/XKR as a kid!. My heartbeat raised every time i seen one!!. Still does today!. But one the other side the XK Jaag is the only Jaguar i ever liked!!. I really mean non other Jaag!!. But the XK is as i said in a class of its own. On thursday i am finalizing what to do with the dealer and the XK cab!!. We shall see??. I hope he gives me a solid offer as i am traiding in a car (997) that has a second hand value of around 13.000 euros more then the XK he is selling!. So waiting for a answer!. Thanks guys you are all a big help!. Feel good about my purchase now!!. Enjoy your sunday!!. Here we have 35 degres celsios today!!. Hoooor!!
Hi Forza,

I am curious to see when you trade a car with more value, what you got at the end? keep us update.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Mosesbotbol you doing some racing in the streets ? 3 set at 26 k miles with a xk...its a lot no?
Seems like a lot of tires. I bought the car with 17K and it was on a 2nd set of tires. The previous owners had it as a garage queen. I have their receipts and window sticker. I have also replaced the tires. I drive very "regular", very little sport mode or flappy paddles. This car is just daily transporation (albeit a nice one) for me.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 AM

Hi Forza,

I am curious to see when you trade a car with more value, what you got at the end? keep us update.
Yes i am curios to??. But i cant just trade in in car for car!. That would be stupid by me and great for the car dealer!. I need either money in between or and secound car he has to give me. But then i already have 2 cars and i do not want a 3rd i think??!!. Promise to kepp you uptated anyways!.