XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK displays and polarised sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:05 AM
Received 225 Likes on 113 Posts
Default XK displays and polarised sunglasses?

I've just ordered new glasses and this time I've ordered prescription sunglasses (varifocal) as well and I've opted for polarisation. Then I read that older smartphones for example are hard to use with polarised glasses because the screens themselves are polarised so I found myself wondering if I will be able to read the dash and touch-screen ok. I have time to change the order.

Last edited by justinhill; 09-13-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:58 PM
Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

I have trouble reading mine with my prescription sunglasses on. Part of that may be that I'm near sighted and can't see close things with my glasses on, but the screen is also quite dim.

Old 09-13-2023, 03:22 PM
Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

I haven't had any problems with my Jag screens and polarized glasses. Typically the issues with polarization only arise depending on what angle you look at them. If you turn your phone (from portrait to landscape) while wearing the polarized glasses, the screen may appear black.

The following users liked this post:
resident_fng (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by equatorial
I haven't had any problems with my Jag screens and polarized glasses. Typically the issues with polarization only arise depending on what angle you look at them. If you turn your phone (from portrait to landscape) while wearing the polarized glasses, the screen may appear black.
Exactly. So it will depend on which way the jag screens are polarised. Sunglasses are generally horizontal ie they block horizontally polarised light.

I guess I’ll just have to find out in two weeks when I collect them.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:34 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

I wear polarised sunnies exclusively, I haven't noticed any issues with the display in my XE but I can see a little oil slick pattern in the side windows. None in the windscreen so that might be the tint rather than the glass.

I can't read the HUD though, as it's reflected from the windscreen. I can see it, but even turned all the way up I can only read it if I look down directly at it.

You should be fine.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:46 AM
Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by justinhill
I've just ordered new glasses and this time I've ordered prescription sunglasses (varifocal) as well and I've opted for polarisation. Then I read that older smartphones for example are hard to use with polarised glasses because the screens themselves are polarised so I found myself wondering if I will be able to read the dash and touch-screen ok. I have time to change the order.
I've had two different pairs of polarized sunglasses that I've worn in my 2010 XKR in the last 6 months and I've not had an issue with either of them and reading the display. Hopefully, it's the same for you. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2023, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by bgpenguin21
I've had two different pairs of polarized sunglasses that I've worn in my 2010 XKR in the last 6 months and I've not had an issue with either of them and reading the display. Hopefully, it's the same for you. Good luck!
Sounds good, thanks. I'll have to make this work because I need prescription to drive.

Interesting how folks on this thread are confirming the old factory touch screen is readable but someone on the thread for the Tesla-style screen retrofit mentioned they can't see the screen with polarised glasses...

Old 09-15-2023, 04:23 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by justinhill
Sounds good, thanks. I'll have to make this work because I need prescription to drive.

Interesting how folks on this thread are confirming the old factory touch screen is readable but someone on the thread for the Tesla-style screen retrofit mentioned they can't see the screen with polarised glasses...
This has to do with the filter stack used in the screen and the way the light exits it. I have a dozen work vehicles that all have the same cheap ebay reverse camera in them... two or three of them appear black with my polarised glasses on, the rest are fine. While Chinese screens are hit and miss, I'm fairly confident Jaguar will have thought of this at some point and specified a filter stack for their screens that works with polarised glasses.

The only "screen" outside their control is their HUD.. Polarised glasses block angularly reflected light so no HUD will work well with them, not just Jag's.
​​​​​
Enjoy your new sunnies 👍

Last edited by dangoesfast; 09-15-2023 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justinhill (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

I have some that are and some that aren't. In fact, for when I wear contacts, I had some sunglass lenses made with low-power readers in the bottom (maybe 1/3 the power I use to actually read a book with) specifically to be able to read the dash and center screen better. They are sort of like bifocals except the top is plano and they are not polarized because they apparently couldn't do the readers in a polarized lens. Otherwise I would have ordered polarized and never known what I was missing. And I have a pair of regular bifocals with a magnetic snap-on polarized lens. Between the two, the non-polarized sunglasses work way better, like orders of magnitude better, with the center display in the XF. With the polarized lenses, I can read what music is playing and such but when I need to see the back-up camera, I have to take off the polarized lenses. I can tell that its partly the polarization because of the oily look, but I think part of it is being too dark. I had to have them lighten up the custom sunglasses because at first I couldn't see the backup camera with them either (they cook them in some chemical bath to lighten the shade which is kind of interesting). I used to wear RayBan Aviators until I got old and couldn't read my new electronic dashboards without reading glasses. That could be part of your issue too.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:27 AM

My new bins arrived today and the polarised sunglasses work great in the car, all displays clear. It's pretty dull out this morning so I don't know how it'll be in full sun with the roof down. But it's all Jimmy Cliff so far:

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
sunshiny day
(at some point)

The following 2 users liked this post by justinhill:
equatorial (09-26-2023), kj07xk (09-26-2023)