XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Xk Duckbill fix…on a 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 06:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xk Duckbill fix…on a 2010

Being a car guy and new to Jaguar I bought a 2010 XK last of my vin B36433 with 51k miles on it, super clean car. I was completely amazed that an engineer would design this duckbill and have it drain at the top of the transmission tunnel with no access. I called my local Jaguar dealer and they wanted to rip out the 12 year old dash and get to it that way… $195 per hour x 12 hours to do the job…. That was not an option to fix a $5 piece of rubber….. So I started to read lots of people on this site were talking about lubricating the duckbill. I have very skinny arms I don’t see how they were able to do this. I also went and bought a borescope and I was able to see that sucker tucked in there…. So I started to think if water is to run out of this piece of rubber, and all these people are rubbing there finger with lubricant on the rubber , what if oil came out of the duckbill… Would the oil passing through pool enough to soften and lubricant this piece of rubber, and the answer is yes. I used olive oil since I didn’t want any oil smell coming out of my ac vents. I had to do it twice but it worked …. Remove the 3 screws that hold in the blower motor, no need to unplug it the wire is long enough, I took a paper cup and put about a 1/2 an inch of olive oil in the cup and cut off the rest of the cup with a scissor. You need to jack up the passenger side (USA model) so the front wheel is an inch off the ground, take the cut cup with the olive oil put your hand up in the hole where your blower came out and push your hand towards the center of the car as far as you can get it and dump the cup…..let the car sit for ten minutes on the jack, put the blower motor back in and lower the jack … my first time nothing came out so I tried to close all the vents and motor on high and I got a sprinkle of water and oil, but driving around not enough to do it on its own. Parked it thinking this was not going to help, but I kept reading all these people talking about lubricating the duck bill by hand, but I can’t reach it…so I repeated my olive oil idea a second time after letting the car sit for two day but this time we I put in the oil when I took the car off the jack I had drops of oil on the floor, about a two inch circle…. I live in Florida and yesterday was 86 degrees so I took her out for a 4 hour trip and not a drop on the passenger carpet…. So this crazy idea worked…. I did change the original blower motor and relay before trying the oil trick….So my thought is maybe this needs to be done once a year to keep the duckbill soft…..

Last edited by Vette6367; 02-19-2022 at 05:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-18-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 04:03 AM
Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts

Inventive...

But I think it's easier to tape a knifeblade or a nail to your finger and molest that duckbill all you can, it won't ever close up again.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-doing-222930/

The following 2 users liked this post by No Quarter:
JackJohn (02-21-2022), kj07xk (02-19-2022)