Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I wish I hadn't seen that!
Perhaps I was being a bit harsh.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

The XK is officially gone and Jaguar and the automotive press is now free to promote only the F-Type, and at the expense of the XK if it will help sell the new car. No more mincing words...the XK is old and the F-Type is a vast step forward. They are completely unrestrained as there isn't an XK replacement, and no plans for one. That announcement was surely intended to encourage the XK lovers to consider the F-Tpe if they wanted to stay in a 2 door Jag. I suspect most buyers of new Jaguars trade them in within 3-4 years and now they know not to wait for the next XK. Brilliant!

XK enthusiasts shouldn't suddenly feel threatened by all this. They bought it because of it's stunning GT appearance and proportions and the F-Type and lack of an XK replacement has hardly diminished its appeal, other than it's no longer current, and no longer Jaguar's top of the line automobile. But it's still the same beautiful car, still has the same great performance everyone fell in love with yesterday, and well cared for examples will be appreciated for decades.

The F-Type has benefited from perhaps the most intense marketing of any Jaguar in history, and as that fades I expect the XK to shine brightly as one of Jaguars best creations ever. The XK is now a contemporary classic...enjoy it relentlessly!

Bruce

The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
axr6 (08-13-2014), Panthro (07-17-2016), ralphwg (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The XK is officially gone and Jaguar and the automotive press is now free to promote only the F-Type, and at the expense of the XK if it will help sell the new car. No more mincing words...the XK is old and the F-Type is a vast step forward. They are completely unrestrained as there isn't an XK replacement, and no plans for one. That announcement was surely intended to encourage the XK lovers to consider the F-Tpe if they wanted to stay in a 2 door Jag. I suspect most buyers of new Jaguars trade them in within 3-4 years and now they know not to wait for the next XK. Brilliant!

XK enthusiasts shouldn't suddenly feel threatened by all this. They bought it because of it's stunning GT appearance and proportions and the F-Type and lack of an XK replacement has hardly diminished its appeal, other than it's no longer current, and no longer Jaguar's top of the line automobile. But it's still the same beautiful car, still has the same great performance everyone fell in love with yesterday, and well cared for examples will be appreciated for decades.

The F-Type has benefited from perhaps the most intense marketing of any Jaguar in history, and as that fades I expect the XK to shine brightly as one of Jaguars best creations ever. The XK is now a contemporary classic...enjoy it relentlessly!

Bruce
I think the more ironic part is that the F type is largely based on the X150 chassis/frame. We don't get any credit!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think the X150 looks extremely dated next to the F-Type. I first started realizing how dated the X150 was compared to everything else in the lineup at the 2014 DC Auto Show. It just seems like such last-generation styling. Beautiful and timeless, yes, but not fresh or edgy anymore.
Most new cars look the same nowadays. It's hard to tell a Honda from a Mercedes currently.

The reason is this: There are strong regulations now with regards to gas mileage and stiff consequences from governments as well as sales when making comparisons. Aerodynamics play a much larger role than ever before and when you test is a wind tunnel you will always get the same answer... If all of the manufacturers are getting the same answer then they start looking similar while trying (some harder than others) to maintaine some kind of individual identity.

The XK was designed by an artist and not a wind tunnel.

The real of the F Type is largely due to a wind tunnel.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Bruce
This is the cycle.... Look at Porsche. Every new 911 is praised as flawless perfection upon release. When the next generation arrives the media notes all of the improvements over the old and all of the flaws that were addressed in the old design.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think the more ironic part is that the F type is largely based on the X150 chassis/frame. We don't get any credit!

It's funny... The XK150 was the largest step forward in chasis from Jaguar ever - MORE than XK to F Type(thank you TATA). This video states the XK dating back 20 years and the F getting a ground up redesign. That is actually not true since it is based on the XK.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I could not have done the six day trip with my wife in an F type. My Xk will be more likely replaced gby an Aston than an F Type. And if I was to replace it with a Jaguar it will more likely be replaced by an XJR-L than an F Type.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I could not have done the six day trip with my wife in an F type. My Xk will be more likely replaced gby an Aston than an F Type. And if I was to replace it with a Jaguar it will more likely be replaced by an XJR-L than an F Type.
So what you are saying is "size matters" , LOL. I like the jump seat for that reason otherwise I would have waited and purchased an F-Type R used in a year or so. The description on the video of the improvements do not affect or improve my intent of buying the XKR convert. I find the handling more then adequate and the power far and above anything needed. The style is smooth and sexy and it turns heads just driving around town. It works for me just as the F-Type will work for others.

Lothar52 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

To me, my XK is an extraordinary GT car. The F Type is, I believe, the new benchmark in high end sport coupe cars in the 100K zone.
What would make my XK better?
1. Fold down rear seats for practicality. Granted my 3 poodles LOVE those rear seats and how close they can be to mom & dad!
2. Suspension with a comfort mode for those long highway drives. I have accommodated it by dropping 2 PSI out of the Dunlops.
3. Taller 6th gear for mileage on the highway. That is the real reason for the 8 speed. Those top 2 gears are for low rpm running on the highway. To many cars have an appropriate top gear for 75mph running. Not hard to do, just not sure why it has been ignored for so many years.

Period. And don't be fooled. There will be a new GT car down the road. There has been for too many years to not have one in the lineup to compete with the SL Class, 6 series, Audi 7series, Maserati Coupes etc.A brand looking to grow doesn't discard a niche of sales. There are plenty of XK's available on the market at present, so it makes sense to take their time with a redesign and make another quantum leap forward.

BruceTheQuail (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
A review by motortrend showed for comfort the Continental DWS and even the Michelin PSS's were far superior then the standard Dunlop's in ride and quiet. Which one are you thinking about getting?

Loth
I have the Continentals on my XKR and I absolutely love them. The ride is smooth and comfortable, and they are appropriately responsive, should I decide to have a little fun around a few curves.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bruce
I agree completely. I bought my XKR because I have wanted one since I saw my very first one when they were new in 1996. The fact that it is no longer produced in no way changes the car itself, nor does it change the feeling I get when I look at/drive it. I honestly could give or take the new F-Type, I'm perfectly happy holding on to my XKR Portfolio and continuing to enjoy this little love affair we have.