XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

xk front headlight eyebrow covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I will stop this afternoon.
Hi, tberg, just wondering did you get a chance to visit Chris.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I did not have the chance as we had a major plumbing issue at our shopping center in Delano, CA, and I spent two days up there arranging to have an excavator, plumber, and street paver to fix the problem. I apologize. However, I will be there tomorrow by noon time, and will report back in the evening.

All work and no play, however, was not the case either. Buttonwillow Raceway nearby our shopping center, was hosting Hooked On Driving's first Southern California (really middle CA) event, and I managed to squeeze four or five sessions on the track in between meeting contractors at the job site.

Loads of fun especially on a track configuration that created a one mile long back straightaway!

I promise a report from Mina tomorrow evening.

Attached Thumbnails xk front headlight eyebrow covers-group-b-esses-speed-shots-cp4_2059-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sherbercars (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

I did not have the chance as we had a major plumbing issue at our shopping center in Delano, CA, and I spent two days up there arranging to have an excavator, plumber, and street paver to fix the problem. I apologize. However, I will be there tomorrow by noon time, and will report back in the evening.

All work and no play, however, was not the case either. Buttonwillow Raceway nearby our shopping center, was hosting Hooked On Driving's first Southern California (really middle CA) event, and I managed to squeeze four or five sessions on the track in between meeting contractors at the job site.

Loads of fun especially on a track configuration that created a one mile long back straightaway!

I promise a report from Mina tomorrow evening.
No need to apologize, hope you got everything sorted and you enjoyed your track session, i'd say there's no cobwebs under the hood now.

tberg (02-01-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

So I stopped by to see Chris at Mina Galleries regarding the headlight "eyebrows" this afternoon. I waited about an hour for him to return from an errand. He didn't yet have the prototype as he expects it in a couple of days. However, he had marked with a stripe on a headlamp where the cover is going to be, and, surprise, it is covering the bottom of the headlamp, hiding the orange reflector and curving up to the headlamp bucket. It is not going to be at the top. I commented that most of us thought it would be an addition at the top like the BMW lights and he said he might consider that next. I took a picture with my phone, but it doesn't want to be sent to my computer. I'm not sure why.

I will stop again in a few days and see if the prototype is there and will photograph with my digital camera so that I don't have any problem downloading it.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by tberg; 02-02-2015 at 11:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
powerhouse (02-03-2015), sherbercars (02-03-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

.... surprise, it is covering the bottom of the headlamp, hiding the orange reflector and curving up to the headlamp bucket. It is not going to be at the top....
??? Wow, I'd think that a cover there would block the headlight beam, plus interfere with the washer...
I sure would like to see those prototypes.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Funny that this is the direction. I put some wrap striping on mine 12 months ago that has a similar effect (probably not as dramatic) and liked it enough to leave it that way.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
??? Wow, I'd think that a cover there would block the headlight beam, plus interfere with the washer...
I sure would like to see those prototypes.
The way Chris explained it to me the covers are mostly on the bottom sides not the front and curve up a bit towards the back to replicate the look of the 2012 facelift headlights. That was a year ago...

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

So I stopped by to see Chris at Mina Galleries regarding the headlight "eyebrows" this afternoon. I waited about an hour for him to return from an errand. He didn't yet have the prototype as he expects it in a couple of days. However, he had marked with a stripe on a headlamp where the cover is going to be, and, surprise, it is covering the bottom of the headlamp, hiding the orange reflector and curving up to the headlamp bucket. It is not going to be at the top. I commented that most of us thought it would be an addition at the top like the BMW lights and he said he might consider that next. I took a picture with my phone, but it doesn't want to be sent to my computer. I'm not sure why.

I will stop again in a few days and see if the prototype is there and will photograph with my digital camera so that I don't have any problem downloading it.

Stay tuned!
Thanks again to bad it was not ready. Please dont forget to ask about the rear seat delete , and cover and photos if any if you get the chance. Thanks again .Bernie

Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Stay tuned!
Thanks for taking the time to see what he said. I don't think Chris is getting the right concept. IMO i wouldn't want the reflective lens covered. The whole brow should be one piece around the top of the lamp lens and blend off near the reflector like in the picture that one of our members did with vinyl. Do you think it looked like something you would have, or still needs more styling. Maybe you can use the picture I've provided and draw a line where Chris showed you.

Attached Thumbnails xk front headlight eyebrow covers-headlight.jpg  

Last edited by powerhouse; 02-03-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

I believe this is what Chris is trying to achieve. It is just my opinion but I see nothing wrong with the top curve of the lens. My gripe has always been with the bottom and the way it abruptly cuts off towards the back in a sharp point.

powerhouse (02-04-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

I was finally able to download the photo I took at Mina. If you look above the orange reflector you will see a thin tape line that goes above it. Chris' piece will follow that line which will be the top of the piece and go down to the base of the light, covering everything in-between.

Attached Thumbnails xk front headlight eyebrow covers-20150202_171502-1-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
jahummer (02-03-2015), sherbercars (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

I was finally able to download the photo I took at Mina. If you look above the orange reflector you will see a thin tape line that goes above it. Chris' piece will follow that line which will be the top of the piece and go down to the base of the light, covering everything in-between.
So it is still the same as it was before. My concern is the headlights are flush with the body panels, adding a carbon fiber or FRP part will stick out. Perhaps some vinyl wrap painted to match the color of the car would be more seamless.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

I think that's right (jahummer). When I played with mine the reason I made it subtle was that any more would have been too much black against the silver car. If someone with a black xk had a go at it with black wrap, you'd get a good idea of how it would look.

But I might play some more on the weekend, that's the fun of wrap - it comes straight off if you don't like it.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member

this is kind of what it would look like in cf wrap, generally following the lines above (but I dont think I got it right, and I wasnt that careful because I only wanted to see if I liked it). It looked OK but I wouldnt pay for it. It'd be better if it was body coloured toward the back with a black outline giving it the new shape.

Attached Thumbnails xk front headlight eyebrow covers-20150204_185525.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
I believe this is what Chris is trying to achieve. It is just my opinion but I see nothing wrong with the top curve of the lens. My gripe has always been with the bottom and the way it abruptly cuts off towards the back in a sharp point.

For me the trouble is the top part of the lens and a brow going across it would give it a more aggressive look IMO. As for the Chris's design i think it is a waste of time.
Bruce your car looks sweet, i cut the vinyl as in the picture i posted and it did look good and nice effect, only problem was it was too flat, if it was made like others on the market it would be ok.

On another topic, the picture you supplied jahummer , i bought a nice xkr team shirt with my name on it from those guys in the picture that race that car, see my post, "XKR SHIRT, NICE".

Attached Thumbnails xk front headlight eyebrow covers-shirt3.jpg  
BruceTheQuail (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers. I peeled it off because it was only a mock up to see if I liked it, but I'll see if I can get some silver wrap and have another go. CF would look good with a black car, I think, maybe darker colours like a grey or deep red.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

I think also that Chris is trying to get the effect of the later xk with the newer headlights , If you take a good look, the hood is the same as the older xk , so the shape of the light on the top is the same , the problem is the bottom as the fenders are the ones that have been changed , take a look at the angle of the joint on both where the bumper fits the to the fender. If this look can be acheved by adding a cover over the bottom of the light remains to be seen without it being to obvious, I think though a lover of C/F , it would have to be the colour of the car . Imhp

Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
i think also that chris is trying to get the effect of the later xk with the newer headlights
see post #27

Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
see post #27
Sorry, should have put your quote in.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Any more news on Chris's new projects. Bernie

Quick Reply: xk front headlight eyebrow covers