XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Key Fob Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK Key Fob Cost?

Is $500 USD a common price for a 2007-2009 XK key fob, programmed but without the hard key cut?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Sounds about right for a new key from a Jaguar dealer in California.

See: www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/key-fob-replacement-117974/?highlight=orphan+key+fob

Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I've researched it here and got a cost from my dealer...
$345 +tax for the Key
$125 for One Hour Labor to program.
$470 here, so right in the ballpark.
My dealer doesn't cut keys so they order straight from Jaguar, but they charge $243 for it. I bought two blanks from eBay for $10, and locksmiths around here charge $65 to cut............ but I don't have a key to copy! Nobody seems to be able to cut from my (correct) code either.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Default Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Sounds about right for a new key from a Jaguar dealer in California.

See: http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...orphan+key+fob
Originally Posted by Cee Jay
$345 +tax for the Key
My dealer doesn't cut keys so they order straight from Jaguar, but they charge $243 for it. I bought two blanks from eBay for $10, and locksmiths around here charge $65 to cut............ but I don't have a key to copy! Nobody seems to be able to cut from my (correct) code either.

Well, I appreciate the feedback. I will just suck it up and get the fob done. :-)

Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Good reminder to all of us not to lose our key fobs. I'll think of it as a $500 bill every time I set it down.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Better than the $1,300.00 for a 2nd crystal key on an Aston.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
$345 +tax for the Key
Have you tried A1 Key in Ogden? They've worked magic for me in the past, but it wasn't an issue like what you have. Worth a call, though... (801) 394-2910

Old 11-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Well that was a surprise. $500 was the transponder, plus $200 for the cut key. $700..not quite Aston territory, but quite a surprise. Now on to the oxygen sensor, and blue tooth codes. Looks like I may be learning some DIY during my Jaguar ownership! :-) Of course that is why a 9 year old $90,000 car depreciates so much. I waved to an F driver yesterday, and after he processed what I was doing, he waved back :-) Figure we need to stick together :-)

Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011XK
​I waved to an F driver yesterday, and after he processed what I was doing, he waved back :-) Figure we need to stick together :-)
I usually do the "indeed, good Sir" nod of approval. Waving is for poors. :-P

The following 2 users liked this post by Mandrake:
Buzzer (10-24-2019), Queen and Country (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Have you tried A1 Key in Ogden? They've worked magic for me in the past, but it wasn't an issue like what you have. Worth a call, though... (801) 394-2910
That was the only place I could find who could cut one three years ago. They did so, and it worked. They ALSO told me that they wouldn't cut another because the blank they DID cut "Nearly destroyed our cutter!". Don't know why, unless they used a really dull burr. Dang things appear to be aluminum. Maybe they used a Brass burr. Or, spun it too quick and it loaded up......
Anyway, I called them again last Monday and dude looked up the code and couldn't find it this time. Maybe a new computer system deleted it?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Pretty strange that your code has 'disappeared'.
Try having someone else read the card, maybe you've gone dyslexic.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Pretty strange that your code has 'disappeared'.
Try having someone else read the card, maybe you've gone dyslexic.
uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh........ nope, still the same digits in the same order.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow, I got three fobs/keys with my 2011 when I got it this spring. Maybe I need to put two in a safe deposit box!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-09-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
Wow, I got three fobs/keys with my 2011 when I got it this spring. Maybe I need to put two in a safe deposit box!
Problem solved! So that's where Cee Jay's lost key is!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-11-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Default Even more than I thought

Next time I will ask. I was charged $261 to cut the key!! Dealer cost, plus 318 for the fob, and $85 to program. Northern California where apparently the dealers think we all have copious stock options. Don't lose your second fob and key in California (bettet yet, don't live here if you don't need to). On the us side, the XK is runni,g like a champ, and agter a week of drives and charging on the 3300 I am no longer getting a TPMS failure warning. Next up, solving hands free phone compatibility.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

While having a wheel and tire repaired at my mechanic's shop the other day, he decided to do me a favor and deliver my car to me and drove it over in the evening. Unfortunately, he apparently had left the key on the windshield which allowed him to start the car but which ultimately flew off the car without him knowing about it. My original key fob would not start the car nor do any other functions and my local Jaguar dealer didn't have a key in stock and couldn't get around to programming it for several days after they got one. So first, I replaced the battery in my original, and after many attempts at inserting the fob into the slot in the console, I was able to start the car so that I could, at least, get my car out of the middle of the street with wide open windows and into my driveway. But, it wouldn't start everytime, and the next morning, no matter what I tried, it would not start. I went back to the locksmith that programmed the used key fob I bought over four years ago when I bought my car, and he actually had an XK key fob that he was able to program in a matter of minutes. Key fob and programming along with a new battery was $275 out the door. He also checked out my original, cleaned up some corrosion, and it now starts my car but won't lock or unlock the doors. Nothing short of a great bargain!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
While having a wheel and tire repaired at my mechanic's shop the other day, he decided to do me a favor and deliver my car to me and drove it over in the evening. Unfortunately, he apparently had left the key on the windshield which allowed him to start the car but which ultimately flew off the car without him knowing about it. My original key fob would not start the car nor do any other functions and my local Jaguar dealer didn't have a key in stock and couldn't get around to programming it for several days after they got one. So first, I replaced the battery in my original, and after many attempts at inserting the fob into the slot in the console, I was able to start the car so that I could, at least, get my car out of the middle of the street with wide open windows and into my driveway. But, it wouldn't start everytime, and the next morning, no matter what I tried, it would not start. I went back to the locksmith that programmed the used key fob I bought over four years ago when I bought my car, and he actually had an XK key fob that he was able to program in a matter of minutes. Key fob and programming along with a new battery was $275 out the door. He also checked out my original, cleaned up some corrosion, and it now starts my car but won't lock or unlock the doors. Nothing short of a great bargain!
wow talk about making lemonade out of lemons

i only have one fob and keep saying to myself that I should get another one sooner than later. I actually also got stuck in front of a friends house last month when the fob battery died all of the sudden. Luckily my wife was a few blocks away and picked up a replacement battery for it and I was up and running in short time.

Curiously when I tried inserting the fob into the center spot while waiting for her to come back with a new battery, it just kept being ejected and would not stay in slot -- I forget the message on the console that kept coming up, but so thing about not being able to read or something. Still doesn't stay in slot even after battery replaced.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Here in the Pacific Northwest, I had ACE hardware cut my e-key for $5. I happened to be walking buy the key section and saw they had just got the new machine (over a year ago) so it might be in all the stores now.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I liked Dodges concept. If you owned 2 keys, (Proof of ownership) then you could program up to 3 more (5 total) into memory just using your steering column car controls...

Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
I liked Dodges concept. If you owned 2 keys, (Proof of ownership) then you could program up to 3 more (5 total) into memory just using your steering column car controls...
Fords also do this, but only with the immobilizer keys and remotes by turning the ignition on and off eight times with bot current keys. Only one key needed to program the remote.
Actually, I don't know about the totally keyless ones.... so maybe those also?