XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK owners might have a lot in common

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default XK owners might have a lot in common

Posting a response to a question member had hijacked the other thread with.
Originally Posted by pwpacp
Not to highjack the thread but, wouldn't it be neat for a couple forum members who've never met to do so at some point on a cross county? With pics to show the rest of us for sure. You know....it's kind of a social thing. lol
I would not want to socialize with anyone from a club that would have me as a member.
Definitely no one ever from the internet- because the internet has a way of bringing unlikely bedfellows together.
With that in mind, I am here to tell you the exact opposite might be true of XK owners, the things that would make one pick an XK might be a litmus test of a very specific persona. Unlike any other car.
I reluctantly met someone here and next thing you know we are sitting front row as guests of Sir Brian May of Queen having the time of our lives. Funny thing is that my best friend (who drives an Ftype) would not know who May is.
And there have been countless other amazing things that have happened, I still cannot believe how much we have in common and have become long lost family friends. All this to say, I highly recommend meeting another XK owner, odds are in your favor he is as unique as you.
When you think about it, everyone we know is because we have some history with them, and not because they answered the same thing on an IQ test and bought an XK.
But yes- definitely set up a water-pump / timing chain support group / pit-stops of friends dotted along your travel route.

Pic from my cell phone. All eyes on the master.

The following 7 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
guy (03-11-2020), jahummer (03-11-2020), kj07xk (03-11-2020), pk4144 (03-18-2020), pwpacp (06-03-2020), Sean W (03-11-2020), V7Sport (06-05-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Really, who does not know who Brian May is? I did not know he is a Sir however, I have envy in case you were wondering.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbaxl:
Queen and Country (03-14-2020), Sean W (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

OK to Phil's suggestion and Q&C's response, I'd say 90% of XK owners are alpha males and wouldn't mind slapping around the other 10%. So getting together and adding Alkehal, I see nothing but upside.

Humor

Now as to Brian May and Queen - They never worked for me. I appreciate what they did for music but didn't enjoy their sound. Freddy Mercury's voice grated on me at times. He could really belt it out and as soon as he did, I'd change the station. Same with Brian May's sound. Their skills were/are superb and May could be held in the top 25 (maybe), but his sound just hurt my ears. I understand he made his own guitars and to me, that was the problem.

I know I'm in the minority given their album sales, but am I in the minority of XK owners?

Glad you guys had a good time though, truly.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Yeah, I wasn’t a Queen fan, back in the day.
But more recently my wife has discovered their music (she grew up on the other side of the other pond), so I hear it more often than before, and it’s not so bad (but then my hearing isn’t as good anymore either).

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah the XK owner is definitely an archetype for science to classify someday.
Saab owners were a particular bunch too, Architects, designers, engineers.....
I think XK owners tend to be those who go against the grain and in that same vein, aloof. If you look at the Ftype group they have many get-togethers but I have never seen one here- I think most XK owners would not wave to each other.

Originally Posted by Sean W
Freddy Mercury's voice grated on me at times. He could really belt it out and as soon as he did, I'd change the station.
You just had a bad radio. Seriously, many reasons to dislike Queen, voice could not be it, scientifically proven to be perfect. He was most likely over-exciting the voicecoils on your dash drivers.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...sound-so-good/

Last edited by Queen and Country; 03-12-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Sean W (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I love Queen as a band. They really were able to play different styles and all really well. Hard rock, disco, stadium songs; all brilliant. I went through their whole catalog on Spotify (too many times for my wife) to really hear all the songs that I may not have been so familiar with.

XK owners are small group, as any devotee's on Jaguar. I have met fellow members of car forums all over the world and for sure we have one thing in common...

Sean W (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

And that's the legendary James Burton to the left of Sir Brian May. He was backup guitarist for Elvis, Roy Orbison, Emmylou Harris, the list goes on...

The following 3 users liked this post by mjsammon:
guy (03-13-2020), Queen and Country (03-12-2020), Sean W (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You just had a bad radio. Seriously, many reasons to dislike Queen, voice could not be it, scientifically proven to be perfect. He was most likely over-exciting the voicecoils on your dash drivers.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...sound-so-good/
And then every radio, home stereo, friends stereo, bar where I heard it.
You can also break glass if you perfectly hit an octave above middle C, but I don't want to hear that either. He's just not for me.
I'm not generally a fan of male soprano singers anyway and perfect has nothing to do with the ones I like. I enjoy Neil Young and Robert Plant. It's not a math equation to me. I can't think of one song from Queen I can make it through in it's entirety. Fortunately my wife dislikes Queen's music as well.
I've tried to keep an open mind over the years because others think I'm off too but this is always my reaction:

Old 03-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbaxl
Really, who does not know who Brian May is? I did not know he is a Sir however, I have envy in case you were wondering.
Seriously, this is an important point to Jag owners having more in common, pretty rare to find someone in USA who adores Queen. Much of the work was never released here or performed here.
They were never really popular or famous in America, Only had 1 TV appearance. Moreover there was a complete boycott after America thought they were gay.
Thats why you wont see a video like this in America, 250,000 Brazilians who dont speak a word of English singing the song for Freddie, perfectly!

Sean W (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 04:33 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Thank you for starting this thread.
I have met a few ‘of us’ over the years and I must agree we share many commonalities that makes ones company an absolute pleasure.
On this topic of music, we are very musical in our home. My children have been playing most instruments for many many years (percussion, violin, guitar, piano) But we listen to everything from gregorian chants to Bach to Ella (Fitzgerald, if you need to ask) to Miles, to Gershwin, to Bird, to Marley, Clapham, Young, CCR, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Eminem, U2... I don’t think there’s enough room here to put it down.

so much good music, so little time. Most of it on the only medium that stands the test of time: vinyl. These streaming services are missing the soul of the sound of live on acoustic or vinyl to me. So I mostly listen to music at home, and the engine in the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
Night Hawk (06-06-2020), Sean W (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously, this is an important point to Jag owners having more in common, pretty rare to find someone in USA who adores Queen. Much of the work was never released here or performed here.
They were never really popular or famous in America, Only had 1 TV appearance. Moreover there was a complete boycott after America thought they were gay.
I'm sure there were homophobes out there who hated them because of Freddy but imo, they were initially popular but quickly became just another pop band and America stopped taking them seriously when they pumped out stuff like:
We are the Champions,
Bicycle Races,
Another One Bites the Dust,
We Will Rock You,
Crazy Little Thing,
Bites the dust.

Just nothing but kiddie drivel for the sake of Pop. The Brits produced a lot of great, incredible bands. Queen wasn't one of them for me.

Keep in mind my interest in Rock waned in the late 70's when this country steered to disco. So I was, and to a good extent, still am stuck in the late 60's early 70's rock. I'm also a Beethoven fan and pretty much anything Baroque. With regard to newer music, I tend to gravitate to alternative and seem to find one hit wonders in that category.

I can say all of us XK owners probably have an opinion of Queen's music - love em, hated em, who's Queen? I'll stop harping now because I enjoy the banter.

What else we got in common?

Last edited by Sean W; 03-14-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:44 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Rumour has it the owner of my xkr is a little peculiar;
the occasional cigar, the occasional scotch, skeet shooting, falconing, a beer in a place most pretty people wouldnt step in to, street food, watching any one who knows how to actually play an instrument, fine food, fine wine,... Or on the other path, tinkering with something thats broke, improving the espresso machine, fiddling with something on the boat...
the list goes on and on.
perhaps the thing we have in common is life’s short, try it all??

Night Hawk (06-06-2020), Sean W (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

I am shocked!
Everything on that list categorically applies to me, except for the coronavirus hunting weirdity of Falconing.
The "improving the espresso machine" blows my mind. I put a PID controller on an manual Italian machine.

I dont think owners of other Jaguars have been the persona you describe. Clarkson describes a Jag owner as someone who goes to resort with his wife and flirts with the maid all weekend long cause he has a "jaaag"

guy (03-17-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Being a 60 year musician and playing in a number of garage band I like all types except rap . I think it is spelled wrong as they forgot the C in front of the word.

The following 5 users liked this post by jagtoes:
helioost (11-19-2020), kj07xk (03-16-2020), pwpacp (03-16-2020), Sean W (03-17-2020), Stuart S (06-05-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Being a 60 year musician and playing in a number of garage band I like all types except rap . I think it is spelled wrong as they forgot the C in front of the word.
Former musician here too. Lost my hearing and could no longer tune the guitar. Classical guitar only and never was able to do anything without sheet music in front of me. I have to play everything on extremely high volume - so I listen to music alone. What did/do you play JT?

Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
so much good music, so little time. Most of it on the only medium that stands the test of time: vinyl. These streaming services are missing the soul of the sound of live on acoustic or vinyl to me.
There is a reason behind why you might not find "soul" in streaming:
I'd speak about it from an optical vocabulary since that is my vocation.
Keep in mind though, audio is not. I may be wrong on this.

What you're experiencing with streaming is a post processing to bring all songs to the same level.
This way they can randomly pull from any song of any album without the user needing to reach for a volume adjustment.
This is a neccesity of the streaming service to protect their users from a quiet file that the user decided to turn up, followed by a much louder file that could dammage at that volume level.
A problem is that the farther from this natural level a song file might be, the more post processing it must go through to reach that level.

As a consequence, only music created for streaming will have the punch to your ears of a physical medium.
Much of what was recorded for physical mediums was altered to punch on that specific method of play.
The result? The soulless listening experience you feel.

Last edited by Tervuren; 03-16-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Former musician here too. Lost my hearing and could no longer tune the guitar. Classical guitar only and never was able to do anything without sheet music in front of me. I have to play everything on extremely high volume - so I listen to music alone. What did/do you play JT?
Tenor Sax , Alto Sax , Baritone Sax , Clarinet . Jazz , rock , blues and dance club stuff. Ears aren't to bad but they have seen better years. Read sheet music and can play by ear. Great times in my youth.

The following 3 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Night Hawk (06-06-2020), Sean W (03-17-2020), Tervuren (03-18-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I am shocked!
Everything on that list categorically applies to me, except for the coronavirus hunting weirdity of Falconing.
The "improving the espresso machine" blows my mind. I put a PID controller on an manual Italian machine.

I dont think owners of other Jaguars have been the persona you describe. Clarkson describes a Jag owner as someone who goes to resort with his wife and flirts with the maid all weekend long cause he has a "jaaag"
I just overhauled my Rancilio a few weeks ago. Silicon group head gasket transforms the machine. 22 years old and running strong.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
guy (03-17-2020), Queen and Country (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Rancilio
See, that's another one of those choices only certain persona made. Someone wanting the best, without paying a fortune and willing to modify the grouphead.

mosesbotbol (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 01:32 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Falconing is a blast.
Clarkson does have his moments... like the episode where he writes Santa for his need of the 348. And I do thoroughly enjoy the pronunciation of Jaaag. But that is not any of us, is it.
What fun! I pimped out my father's la Pavoni. Its not for everyone. Like arm-strong steering. Or the elegance of double clutching.

Last edited by guy; 03-18-2020 at 01:39 AM.
mosesbotbol (03-18-2020), Queen and Country (03-18-2020)

Quick Reply: XK owners might have a lot in common