XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK owners might have a lot in common

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020 | 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Just found this thread, so coming in late, but,,,,,,,, All Music is very subjective, just like cars. As a former Corvette owner, my former Vette friends cannot understand why I 'went over to the dark side', bought an F-Type JAG(!), and then an XK8!!
Being in a couple of small bands in H.S. and college( played Keyboard), I enjoy many different forms of music(cannot get into RAP). I don't care for 'Heavy Rock', but many do. Each to their own.
I originally did not follow Queen, but after the movie, I started picking up their music. The production of "We are the Champions" at Wembley Stadium had to be mind blowing. Cannot call that kiddie rock unless you are tone deaf, but, each to their own.
I don't join Clubs. Tried the local Jag Club, quite after 1 year as I could not relate to most of the members. I do enjoy meeting other Jag owners, nd discussing our cars, mechanics, parts, etc. If you do not click, you can just walk away.

The following 2 users liked this post by SamtheSham:
peterv8 (06-03-2020), pwpacp (06-03-2020)
Old 06-05-2020 | 03:11 PM

He looks like my 90 year old grandmother

Old 06-05-2020 | 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I don't join Clubs. Tried the local Jag Club, quite after 1 year as I could not relate to most of the members. I do enjoy meeting other Jag owners, nd discussing our cars, mechanics, parts, etc. If you do not click, you can just walk away.
Not big on clubs either, but I did join the Aston Martin Owner Club and they have some nice events and drives. Good to meet some people outside of my normal circles. The Lotus Owners Group is a fun bunch too. I was a member while I owned one and went on some public drives with the club in subsequent cars.

Jag club wasn't as fan FWIW.

Old 06-05-2020 | 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

I tend to prefer "meets" to "clubs" when it comes to cars.
Just maintain an email list, and based on weather put up places to go or drive.
Club politics can get really messy.

In this day and age with a program like Discord, meets are very easy to schedule and maintain.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (06-06-2020)
Old 06-05-2020 | 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, but as I said, "to each hi/her own". Never cared for Car Shows, where everyone sits around their cars while others walk up to tell them about all Their various similar cars. Got better things to do with my time. That said, I did produce 4 car shows for our local Kiwanis Club. Made $10,000 profit for the clubs. Worth the craziness.

Old 06-06-2020 | 01:05 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Never cared for Car Shows, where everyone sits around their cars while others walk up to tell them about all Their various similar cars.
Me neither. Heck I would not be a part of any club that will have me as a member.
But you are making my point, you do realize that its rare, almost a contradiction among car fanciers. As you rightfully point out many buy these cars to huddle.
So while we are aloof and dont care for sheepish activities, we have that in common.

Keep traveling on that road looking for Freddie its "caviar and cigarettes, guaranteed to blow your mind"
Nah, he never did kiddierock, they had far too much talent, and because Queen was never really targeted for America, where execs demand boy bands that turn little girls on.
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/47561...ned-by-science

Old 06-06-2020 | 03:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I think most XK owners would not wave to each other.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...sound-so-good/
I always do like a loon to both X100 and X150 drivers, as you've said they rarely 1:10 wave or flash back, I had put this down to the fact that they feel very special in their cars and when confronted by a cleaner, newer model it makes them feel less special?

3yrs ago I won a prize of a Bentley Continental for a long weekend with a 500 mile limit, when I dropped it back I'd done 497! So I got full use and took the Friday off and set off to London (where they are more common). On that weekend I encountered 4 other BCGT's, 3 coming the other way and 1 alongside...they all without fail waved of flashed.

I put it down to

A) The fact that BCGT owners seemed much younger, slimmer, fitter with better eyesight and less follically challenged than most of the XK drivers I've met and they didn't feel intimidated in any way by my HUGE charisma....lol

B) XK owners think they've 'arrived' whereas BCGT drivers KNOW they have (and have the bills to prove it)

On Brian May I thought he only had a CBE, only a KBE and above allows him to be referred to as a 'Sir' which I don't believe he is....but could be wrong! Oh am a former jazz pianist and lead singer in a band where I replaced Henry Olusegun, Adeola Samuel (better known as Seal) in 1982

Last edited by MarkyUK; 06-06-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2020 | 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

I know locally there really is no Jaguar club; but i have had some interesting conversations with other Jaguar owners over the last decade when just running into them out and about.

I haven't really met with XK owners to judge the made it versus perceived made it attitudes. We have quite a few billionaires in the area and they actually tend to be quite conservative, so they are likely to be seen in a Yukon/Tahoe more than a GT car or exotic. Where i am, you're actually looked at as more gauche and nouveau riche by driving certain kinds of luxury car. A Bentley Continental GT tends to fall in that category where a Bentley Mulsanne doesn't. Restrained colors are de rigeur as well.

Just be nice to people and have fun. It's just cars .

The following 6 users liked this post by 80sRule:
bocatrip (06-06-2020), guy (06-06-2020), kj07xk (06-06-2020), MarkyUK (06-06-2020), pwpacp (06-11-2020), Queen and Country (06-06-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2020 | 01:53 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
I always do like a loon to both X100 and X150 drivers, as you've said they rarely 1:10 wave or flash back, I had put this down to the fact that they feel very special in their cars and when confronted by a cleaner, newer model it makes them feel less special?

3yrs ago I won a prize of a Bentley Continental for a long weekend with a 500 mile limit, when I dropped it back I'd done 497! So I got full use and took the Friday off and set off to London (where they are more common). On that weekend I encountered 4 other BCGT's, 3 coming the other way and 1 alongside...they all without fail waved of flashed.

I put it down to

A) The fact that BCGT owners seemed much younger, slimmer, fitter with better eyesight and less follically challenged than most of the XK drivers I've met and they didn't feel intimidated in any way by my HUGE charisma....lol

B) XK owners think they've 'arrived' whereas BCGT drivers KNOW they have (and have the bills to prove it)

On Brian May I thought he only had a CBE, only a KBE and above allows him to be referred to as a 'Sir' which I don't believe he is....but could be wrong! Oh am a former jazz pianist and lead singer in a band where I replaced Henry Olusegun, Adeola Samuel (better known as Seal) in 1982
Spot on in my experience.

This experience proves it. We have a smaller version of Ascot or Kentucky Derby held in my town. People come from all over, all kinds of museum quality cars on parade on the grass. So we take our XKR and once there realize we dont want to huddle- so we go for a drive in a nearby empty park with roads that wind through hills. Would you believe as I enter this park there is an XK in my rearview mirror doing the same. This couple had the same idea as us and we are the only 2 cars in the park, (everyone else is at the event) we drive together like pair of dancing cranes for 15 minutes through twists and turns. I then pullover in the parking area, they do the same, we look at them expecting them to strike up a conversation how we both had the same unique idea. They dont even wave back.

In my other car a Toyota- my biggest concern is people wanting to talk forever about it.

"On Brian May I thought he only had a CBE" All I know is he wrote 'Fat Bottom Girls make the rocking world go around'. That's a Sir in my books. Like Sir Mix-a-lot.
I follow and like Seal, he is from my neighborhood and born in the same hospital. Wow dude, its great to make your acquaintance, Seal is a seriously talented act to follow.

I dont want to guess at what income level XK owners fall into. Its more of a persona than income in my observation. The lines are all blurred these days anyways, someone can walk into a dealership here (usually Range Rover) looking for a suv for grocery shopping and walk out with a Jaguar without knowing a thing about Jaguar. But those who keep them know the value of money and Jaguar heritage.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (06-06-2020)
Old 06-08-2020 | 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

To add insult to injury over designing an Italian Aston...