XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK problems--help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK problems--help!

I am new to Jaguar Forms, but here goes: I have a 2011 XK convertible with approximately 40,000 miles. It is a beautiful, fast car but I have three problems:

(1) The ATMS flashes on intermittently, sometimes staying on for 30 minutes even though the tires are fully inflated. I am considering getting four new tire monitors because the car is 10+ years old, but want to make sure I get monitors with the right frequency. (The Carfax report I have says the car was manufactured in the UK on July 1, 2010. I understand that Jaguar changed ATMS frequencies about this time.) Do I have to get a dealer to do the replacement ($1,000+)?. My local mechanic says he can do it for $600.

(2) I have relatively new dealer-provided Pirelli tires front and rear, but have noticed a thumping road noise from the rear of the car that increases in frequency as RPMs increase. I replaced a wheel and tire tire which I thought were causing the noise but that did no good. Is it possible there is a problem with the rear suspension?. Any other ideas?

(3) The glass window on my convertible top has separated from the top itself. I understand that I will need a new top. Is there a preferred vendor for Jaguar XK tops? What about installers? I live in Washington, D.C.

Thanks, guys, for any advice you may have.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,390 Likes on 3,501 Posts

ATMS???? You mean TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). TPMS batteries usually begin to die after 7 years. If your 2011 XK still has the original sensors, those batteries are probably weak and are causing those errors.

You don't have to worry about buying the right frequency because all US cars use 315 MHz. Don't use your mechanic - he's way too expensive. Call the national chain auto parts stores that sell tires near you. They can test each wheel sensor for battery life for free and install the correct new ones if you need them. Compare their prices. New TPMS sensors DO NOT need to be programmed to match your XK. The correct sensors work automatically after a 10 minute drive. If the store says they have to program them, run - don't walk - away.

As for your convertible top, you might not need a new one unless the canvas is torn. Many Forum members, including myself, have successfully reattached the separated rear glass to the canvas ourselves, at a cost of under $100. It's an easy DIY repair that's fully documented with photos in this Forum. Just go to the "Sticky Threads" at the top of this Forum and click on the "How To / DIY Repairs & Maintenance", scroll down to "3. CONVERTIBLE TOP" and open the link.

Try doing the repair. What do you have to lose?

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Bill400 (07-24-2022), Speedmaster (07-26-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

If you prefer to buy a new convertible top, read this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-tops-185831/

Old 07-24-2022, 06:02 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
ATMS

New TPMS sensors DO NOT need to be programmed to match your XK. The correct sensors work automatically after a 10 minute drive.
How do the sensors know which wheel they're on if they aren't programmed?

Old 07-24-2022, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bamaboy473
How do the sensors know which wheel they're on if they aren't programmed?
The TPMS sensors in each wheel are transmitters. They don't know, but the receiver knows! It's detailed in the Workshop Manual that's available to download in the Sticky Threads at the top of this Forum.

See Forum Moderator GGG's post #5 in this 2014 thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ms-xkr-111383/

Old 07-24-2022, 08:24 AM

Gotta ask....is this valid for all brands of TPMS sensors/receivers? I got charged for programming about 5 years ago with the Sequoia, was I punked?

Old 07-24-2022, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Gotta ask....is this valid for all brands of TPMS sensors/receivers? I got charged for programming about 5 years ago with the Sequoia, was I punked?
Nope. Depends on the car. Our Jags relearn on their own. My Lexus (so I’ll assume most if not all Toyota products) require programming.
But you do need compatible sensors for your car, can’t just throw in any random sensor, but that’s true for all cars.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:44 AM

Now it's clear. I bought Chinese knock-offs, so the programming would have been needed. good to know they were up front about things.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Depends on type of system. Jags and Rovers have location (FR, FL, RR & RL) specific antenna receivers in the wheel wells, the sensor transmitters in the wheels are all the same for easy rotation

Old 07-24-2022, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Now it's clear. I bought Chinese knock-offs, so the programming would have been needed. good to know they were up front about things.
Throw them away and buy this from RockAuto.com:

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
jons (07-25-2022), V7Sport (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 06:16 PM
Received 184 Likes on 104 Posts

BTW any decent tire shop can check the battery life with a hand held scanner. Have them check the wheels while you are i there for the thump.

Stuart...thanks for the link for future use. Thats the cheapest ive seen them by a long shot.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:47 PM
Received 205 Likes on 119 Posts

I would, HIGHLY recommend buying a high quality tire pressure gage, preferably the SQUARE type (more accuate).
I thought I had TPMS issues for the longest time but in reality, my tire gage was way off point.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:57 PM

I like redundancy, and have three gauges. When one shows differently from the other two, I toss it and replace it.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

I like redundancy, and have three gauges. When one shows differently from the other two, I toss it and replace it.
That reminded me of marriage.
Having three wives is polygamy.
Having two wives is bigamy.
Having one wife is ... monotony!

P.S. If you didn't get the joke, having one wife is called monogomy. Monotony is synonymous with boredom.

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-25-2022 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added P.S
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
bamaboy473 (07-25-2022), Speedmaster (07-26-2022), V7Sport (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

is it true for all? no. i bought a set of aftermarket sensors that were capable of both frequencies and were programmed to the correct one (it's under "FORD" on the tool, heh) and to their assigned wheel. in fact i had to go back and have them switch driver's front and rear. they showed me the entire process. i stood next to the car while it was being done. very cool guys. did you get punked? err i mean kinda yeah. it's not a complicated tool.

incidentally, i would never do that again, because one of them is already busted. at cruising speeds it flashes the TPMS light, the center console gives me "tire not monitored" and tells me which wheel (same one every time), and then it instantly dismisses itself and everything is fine. this repeats every 3-5 minutes.

Last edited by jons; 07-25-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jons
it instantly dismisses itself and everything is fine. this repeats every 3-5 minutes.
You have what's close to heaven on earth. If you've ever enjoyed the mystery of Land Rovers (at least, Discos and LR3s) you'll think that it's Christmas all year 'round if you look at the dashboard. Having 3-5 minutes of no light on the dash can only mean that you were in the quick-stop and the vehicle had been turned OFF. ;-)

Old 07-26-2022, 04:00 AM
Received 491 Likes on 320 Posts

You have what's close to heaven on earth. If you've ever enjoyed the mystery of Land Rovers (at least, Discos and LR3s) you'll think that it's Christmas all year 'round if you look at the dashboard. Having 3-5 minutes of no light on the dash can only mean that you were in the quick-stop and the vehicle had been turned OFF. ;-)
The Three Amigos are never far away with a Disco! My permanent fix was to electrically bypass the problematic switch in the ABS block.

Richard

Old 07-26-2022, 04:54 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hcrawfordm
I am new to Jaguar Forms, but here goes: I have a 2011 XK convertible with approximately 40,000 miles. It is a beautiful, fast car but I have three problems:

(1) The ATMS flashes on intermittently, sometimes staying on for 30 minutes even though the tires are fully inflated. I am considering getting four new tire monitors because the car is 10+ years old, but want to make sure I get monitors with the right frequency. (The Carfax report I have says the car was manufactured in the UK on July 1, 2010. I understand that Jaguar changed ATMS frequencies about this time.) Do I have to get a dealer to do the replacement ($1,000+)?. My local mechanic says he can do it for $600.

(2) I have relatively new dealer-provided Pirelli tires front and rear, but have noticed a thumping road noise from the rear of the car that increases in frequency as RPMs increase. I replaced a wheel and tire tire which I thought were causing the noise but that did no good. Is it possible there is a problem with the rear suspension?. Any other ideas?

(3) The glass window on my convertible top has separated from the top itself. I understand that I will need a new top. Is there a preferred vendor for Jaguar XK tops? What about installers? I live in Washington, D.C.

Thanks, guys, for any advice you may have.
1.i bought custom 22 inch wheels for my 2013 XKR and they only made to fit a Jaguar XK (or possibly other jags) and had to buy new tire monitors too for my Jag that fits for only those wheels and they came already programmed inside my wheels and tires i bought from Carid.com that never even gave me a tpms warning indicator on the dash when i put them on that worked just as well or better than my stock tire monitors that came on the car.So that means they will program your tire monitors for you when you buy those from them but use the contact us or email they provide to ask them to program them for you just to make sure so they can completely satisfy you with your order and i think they around like $50 bucks for each tire monitor which is not that expensive at all.Idk what they telling you at those shops or what you heard from anywhere else but $600 is a complete RIP OFF when it's a very easy fix by replacing them since you stated they'll give you the warning for 30mins and start working again when that's pretty much telling you that nothing is really broken in your TPMS system and the old 1s on your car are just at the end of their life span and u just need to replace them with new 1s.So all you need to do is just visit the website carid.com and buy your already programmed tire monitors from them and get a local tire shop to install them in your wheels for you and that will be like $25 bucks a wheel at the most.

2.if you don't feel no knots in your tires,then that's something else you need to check for.I never had that problem,so i can't tell u exactly what it is or what i think it is.

3. I had to replace the top on my 2014 XKR that i had got in an accident and slid off the road and i even changed the black top to a red top that i bought off ebay for like $600 and that's the best place to buy a new top from and it was OEM too so the company that actually made the tops for the XK Jag that's made for the car when you bought it is also the original replacement tops they had for sale on ebay.Bought the top and paid $1,200 to get it put on at a convertible repair shop called A-1 auto trim shop in Greensboro,NC and it took him like a week to put it on.If you can't find a good shop to put on your top out in DC for around that good price,drive all the way to Greensboro,NC and let the guy at A-1 auto trim shop put it on for you.He told me to recommend people to his shop a long time ago

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 07-26-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:15 PM
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default This post is what makes this forum so great...nice response Stuart S

Originally Posted by Stuart S
ATMS???? You mean TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). TPMS batteries usually begin to die after 7 years. If your 2011 XK still has the original sensors, those batteries are probably weak and are causing those errors.

You don't have to worry about buying the right frequency because all US cars use 315 MHz. Don't use your mechanic - he's way too expensive. Call the national chain auto parts stores that sell tires near you. They can test each wheel sensor for battery life for free and install the correct new ones if you need them. Compare their prices. New TPMS sensors DO NOT need to be programmed to match your XK. The correct sensors work automatically after a 10 minute drive. If the store says they have to program them, run - don't walk - away.

As for your convertible top, you might not need a new one unless the canvas is torn. Many Forum members, including myself, have successfully reattached the separated rear glass to the canvas ourselves, at a cost of under $100. It's an easy DIY repair that's fully documented with photos in this Forum. Just go to the "Sticky Threads" at the top of this Forum and click on the "How To / DIY Repairs & Maintenance", scroll down to "3. CONVERTIBLE TOP" and open the link.

Try doing the repair. What do you have to lose?

Good luck!
This post is what makes this forum so great...nice response Stuart S

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (07-27-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Stuart. I just dropped off my XK at the local garage along with four new tire monitors recommended for my car. i also obtained the glue you recommended and will order suction clamps from Amazon. Also have five paint stirrers!

HCrawford

Quick Reply: XK problems--help!