XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is the XK/R more sensitive to low battery than others?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 11:27 AM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

@jahummer
Your point, and Sean W's, is understood to be " define the problem before proposing a solution...".
Hard to argue with that logic.
Would you guys consider collaborating on a guide for XK/R owners to evaluate their own systems that appear to be battery related?

PS: I'm thinking that a C-Tek should not be required for a vehicle parked for less than a month.

Last edited by Bill400; 01-04-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
@jahummer
Your point, and Sean W's, is understood to be " define the problem before proposing a solution...".
Hard to argue with that logic.
Would you guys consider collaborating on a guide for XK/R owners to evaluate their own systems that appear to be battery related?

PS: I'm thinking that a C-Tek should not be required for a vehicle parked for less than a month.
Agreed about the maintainer, didn’t get a CTEK until the second battery and didn’t use it all the time even with the car sitting for weeks at a time unlocked. Other members here have shared the same experience whilst others have stated otherwise. Most exotic cars require and include CTEK maintainers, McLaren and Ferrari are two of the most notorious for dead batteries, even with OEM lithium batteries.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Sounds like a great opportunity to check and compare quiescent current draw.
If traced to a specific module, it would be good to know both hardware and software part numbers.
Is an accessory keeping the CAN bus awake?
This is an experiment I will not find the time to execute, sorry

Please provide details (both cars): Battery brand/age? Park inside/out? Ambient temp? Lock on park? Doors open to detail frequently?
Not sure of brand but both batteries are currently about 4-5 years old but similar behavior throughout the last few years so I don't think age is a factor. In fact, My XK is routinely on the C-Tek and his is never so I would assume my battery is in better health. Both cars are always parked in their respective garages, both in North Texas so ambient temps vary but both cars are seeing similar temps at the same time. Both cars are always locked and doors are never opened during downtime.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I didn't use a maintainer until after I tried to test drive a new C7 Vette that was dead on the showroom floor. I can't rightly remember if I had any problems before that or not. My last battery lasted just over five years before it showed signs of going bad.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

There’s 3 versions of the X150, 2007-2009, 2010-2011 and 2012-2015. Perhaps one of these generations is more prone to this?

Old 01-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

It has more to do with the year of the car rather than the model. Jaguar is a very small company and most parts are used across the entire product line.
What happened was Jaguar made a wholesale change of electrical suppliers starting in 2013 and up. They dumped Denso and went to Bosch.

If you look at all the electrical threads a vast improvement was made from 2013 on. My 2014 XJR has had zero electrical problems and I have never put the car on a charger. Nor do I lock my car in the garage and both key FOBS are within 20' of the car at all times. I just replaced my factory battery after 10 YEARS! It still was working I just got scared and swapped it out. I have never had a battery last anywhere close to this.

I have left my car at the airport for 6+ weeks and it started up fine and I just drove away!

Now I wish Jaguar had published all that was changed but it was such a huge change I think they simply did not want to draw attention to it? I mean what did it take for Jaguar to tell Denso to take a hike?? I bet a lot!

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Bill400 (01-05-2024), shemp (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Even so, there were 2 denso versions for the X150, 1st gen had one and 2nd gen had a different one. Then 3rd gen went to Bosch. There’s still plenty of 1st and 2nd gen owners reporting no battery drain or electrics issues, surely something else must be the cause for those afflicted.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:46 PM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Even so, there were 2 denso versions for the X150, 1st gen had one and 2nd gen had a different one. Then 3rd gen went to Bosch. There’s still plenty of 1st and 2nd gen owners reporting no battery drain or electrics issues, surely something else must be the cause for those afflicted.
Sure there must be something...
Because most of us are having the battery problem even with new batteries...So the battery is not the problem.
What would be interesting to know is if the car alternator is really charging the batteries while driving...

Old 01-04-2024, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Thanks for the F-Type experience feedback. If I understand the "delete", you removed the LIN connection at the VQM, leaving the remainder of the system intact. Don't know if that completely disables the secondary battery support to the gadgets described in the attachment to post #1.
The F-Type also has improvements to Quiescent Current Control, per the attachment.

best regards,
Bill
In the case of the F-Types with two batteries, it is not a matter of disconnecting the LIN from the VQM - that may be how the stop/start system is disabled in the later one-battery F-Types (2017-24). On the two battery system you disconnect the second battery entirely! In other words, you eliminate it from any part of the car’s electronics. I did this 7 years ago on my 2015 F-Type. Not a single electrical/electronic issue has ensued. But the irritation of the start/stop function ended immediately.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Bill400 (01-05-2024), McJag222 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 546 Likes on 348 Posts

On the XJ I drove as a loner you could disable the start/stop after starting.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

X150 never had a bosch control module for anything.

only notable thing that happened in 13 was on the xj and xf, panpag pcm and the old denso infotainment were retired.

Last edited by xalty; 01-05-2024 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Thanks Xalty for the added info. I am still researching all that was done as it's very obvious that it was a large change and made a huge difference.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
In the case of the F-Types with two batteries, it is not a matter of disconnecting the LIN from the VQM - that may be how the stop/start system is disabled in the later one-battery F-Types (2017-24). On the two battery system you disconnect the second battery entirely! In other words, you eliminate it from any part of the car’s electronics. I did this 7 years ago on my 2015 F-Type. Not a single electrical/electronic issue has ensued. But the irritation of the start/stop function ended immediately.
Thank you for the clarification. The F-Type electronics is clearly improved compared to the XK/R.

best regards,
Bill

Old 01-05-2024, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiepolo
Sure there must be something...
Because most of us are having the battery problem even with new batteries...So the battery is not the problem.
What would be interesting to know is if the car alternator is really charging the batteries while driving...
I respectfully disagree with the assumption that a new battery is good, not a problem. More in another post.

Alternator output may be monitored using a simple digital voltmeter accessory that plugs into the cigar lighter socket.

best regards,
Bill

Old 01-05-2024, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
X150 never had a bosch control module for anything.

only notable thing that happened in 13 was on the xj and xf, panpag pcm and the old denso infotainment were retired.
I was referring to this post:

Originally Posted by clubairth1
It has more to do with the year of the car rather than the model. Jaguar is a very small company and most parts are used across the entire product line.
What happened was Jaguar made a wholesale change of electrical suppliers starting in 2013 and up. They dumped Denso and went to Bosch.
Third gen X150 added LIN bus and something else was changed in the PCM but I don't recall. The F-Type always had Bosch. Panpag was retired with the X100.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:25 PM

The hypothesis: "XK/Rs are more sensitive to low battery than other models" failed to address the causes but attempted to propose a solution.

Backing up a bit: There appear to be two basic causes of "low battery" (voltage) for starting:
1. Parked vehicle battery drain due to quiescent loads. Jaguar introduced a dedicated module to address this issue in the F-Type (see post #1 attachment).
2. Defective or old batteries that do not maintain 12V+ when parked overnight, a week or so.

If the battery is sufficient to crank-start the vehicle, should the instantaneous residual voltage be sufficient for proper operation of the electronics?

The intent of post #1 was to propose that low starting voltage is likely a source of various control module problems. Since start/no-start is typically the criteria used to evaluate a functional battery, by extension, the residual voltage should be sufficient for control module operation.

A guide to battery, alternator and quiescent loads may be the appropriate first step.
I'm happy to collaborate with anyone interested.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:36 PM

I was referring to this post:

Third gen X150 added LIN bus and something else was changed in the PCM but I don't recall. The F-Type always had Bosch. Panpag was retired with the X100.
Though 2nd Gen XK has LIN for Alternator, etc. You guys are clearly well informed. I for one would appreciate more details and happy to do the work if you point me in the right direction. Maybe a good addition to a collaborative guide?

Bill

Old 01-05-2024, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by McJag222
On the XJ I drove as a loner you could disable the start/stop after starting.
Yes, of course you can do that. The F-Type also has a button that can disable the stop/start system but each time the engine is shut off (by the driver) the system defaults to the annoying stop/start sequence…in other words you have the minor fuss each time you start the car of having to shut off the stop/start system. Much more efficient to disconnect it once, and never again.

For the record, I generally don’t drive in “stop and go” traffic so any ecological benefit to the start/stop system in my car is essentially nil, particularly as the engine is labelled as an ULEV (ultra low emissions) engine. The ecological damage from just one rocket fired in The Middle East, just one drone strike in Ukraine or (fill in the name of any number of regions today) is far greater than driving a modern car for a year or a decade. The “save our planet” activists (whose work I support) are (strangely) absolutely silent on this form of pollution.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Bill400 (06-13-2024), jahummer (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Bill, you’re correct, I’ve not addressed the premise for your thread. My Land Rover apparently has this VQM though I stopped using the ECO mode after the third start/stop battery replacement in 2 years.

I reckon you realise this could never be retrofitted to the X150. Yes there’re higher current output alternators, but charging’s not the issue.

I’ll defer to my first response, not every X150 have battery issues and a CTEK or equivalent’s likely the easiest and least costly solution for those concerned about potentially flat batteries.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:50 PM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Bill, you’re correct, I’ve not addressed the premise for your thread. My Land Rover apparently has this VQM though I stopped using the ECO mode after the third start/stop battery replacement in 2 years.

I reckon you realise this could never be retrofitted to the X150. Yes there’re higher current output alternators, but charging’s not the issue.

I’ll defer to my first response, not every X150 have battery issues and a CTEK or equivalent’s likely the easiest and least costly solution for those concerned about potentially flat batteries.
I just installed the Ctek trunk plug... but when I'm in Town I don't have access to a plug!
I realise If I can't find a way to get electricity in my underground parking...I'll have to sell the XKR just because that's an almost electric car and needs to be plugged often...

Quick Reply: Is the XK/R more sensitive to low battery than others?