XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Reliability by Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 11:41 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

My 2013 XKR never gave me any major problems except for old rubber hoses or plastic hoses going bad from aging and wear and tear.My brake vaccume tube line went bad and i guess the air pressure broke and busted the plastic piece that connects the assembly of the brake line vaccume tubes together.I'm glad i won't in the middle of traffic when it happened and i was right near home and had to press the brakes extra hard to stop.If Jaguar didn't go about putting cheap parts under the hood, the XK would be the only car in the world that you would never have to put in the shop for car trouble.

The following users liked this post:
Hans Amstein (08-04-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I love these Lazarus threads that rise from the dead. (And why do people have a problem with this? The info and comments may be old, but they're brand new to the people who are commenting. I say don't scold them for it.)
Only thing to add is that Carfax is useful for three things:
- original in-service date of the car.
- where it spent most of its life.
- number of previous owners. My over/under is three, and it's always great to see one or two. But a ten-year-old car with six owners? Nope.
That's it.

FYI as you may know I had an EPIC amount of work/maintenance done to my car. Ends up my dealership does not report to carfax unless the customer requests it, so none of those 19 pages of work would have shown up on the Carfax for my car.

neilr (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I love these Lazarus threads that rise from the dead. (And why do people have a problem with this? The info and comments may be old, but they're brand new to the people who are commenting. I say don't scold them for it.)
Only thing to add is that Carfax is useful for three things:
- original in-service date of the car.
- where it spent most of its life.
- number of previous owners. My over/under is three, and it's always great to see one or two. But a ten-year-old car with six owners? Nope.
A differing opinion here. Cars that are not used for daily driving, but rather are bought as toys, Sunday drivers, bucket list items, can often have multiple owners. My previous 4 cars were Porsche, and it isn't unusual to see 5 or more owners with not many miles.

Heck, the fact that I had those 4 within 3 years is proof that multiple owners is common enough. That said, none of the cars I had left my garage without a lot of improvements, too. A new buyer will take care of things that a long-term owner might just accept.

pk4144 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 XK

I would like to add that almost all of my JLR vehicles were bought from a JLR dealer where I was the 2nd owner. The 2010 XK is beautiful and perfect interior minus the dash shrinkage which is minimal and brand new Micheline Pilot tires. I replaced the wheels with refurbished Caravella wheels and had the car detailed with ceramic coating which has a glass like finish. I bought the car with the dynamic suspension fault hoping it would be a relatively minor part as the car defaults to sport mode and is stiff but not uncomfortable to drive and it was a level sensor which doesn’t break the bank. But the mechanic pointed out the expired and sagging rubber parts and that lead to most of the suspension being replaced at 54,000 miles albeit a 12 year old car, so now drives more comfortably than before and still have about what it’s valued at in the car. I bought the coupe because I have had trouble with every Jaguar convertible I have ever owned, they are just to complicated, too easy to get out of sync and prone to failure, unlike the simple mechanical roof on a Porsche boxter I regrettably sold. But love the XK design and plan for this car to be a keeper!

Old 08-03-2022, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

I hear you, but the thing I like about the one-owner car with cars like these (which is, to be fair, hard to find) is that, over the years, you know something went wrong and needed attention. In most cases, the long-term owners made the decision to double down and maintain the car because they liked it so much. (That's true of most folks on this forum!)

Old 08-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I hear you, but the thing I like about the one-owner car with cars like these (which is, to be fair, hard to find) is that, over the years, you know something went wrong and needed attention. In most cases, the long-term owners made the decision to double down and maintain the car because they liked it so much. (That's true of most folks on this forum!)
Well, YOUR car is still going strong. Uglier than **** now, but still at it! (see your 'carjacked' post)

pk4144 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Agreed...on an individual basis....but at some point an owner gets a change of life that tells him that his dream car isn't going to be with him much longer. Financial, family, too many repairs coming too often, found a new hobby....anything can cause somebody to sell their long-time car. The Repairs too often reason is the one we don't want to buy, yet the write-up on the ad sings the praises and whets the appetite. Comically, I once bought an eBay BMW 7 series that was, "pristine, all original, rarely used, original paint, back seat never sat it, tires like new". Upon arrival at the....house.... all of what they said was true, except that original paint had been left under the oak tree all the car's life, back seat couldn't hold people because it had 10 years of old McDonald's wrappers in it, 10 year old tires, and oil, were ALL original.
Not saying this is normal, but a one-owner car needs a once-over just as much as a 5 owner car. No, the sale did not consummate.

Heck, my parents bought a new car every 5 years. Dad was an airline pilot with enough bucks to do anything to a car. His logic was that the car should go 5 years before it needed tires, oil change, anything....so he never did a thing to his cars. Makes a guy wonder who's the smart one, lol.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:33 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by bamaboy473
A differing opinion here. Cars that are not used for daily driving, but rather are bought as toys, Sunday drivers, bucket list items, can often have multiple owners. My previous 4 cars were Porsche, and it isn't unusual to see 5 or more owners with not many miles.

Heck, the fact that I had those 4 within 3 years is proof that multiple owners is common enough. That said, none of the cars I had left my garage without a lot of improvements, too. A new buyer will take care of things that a long-term owner might just accept.
This, a Hyundai with 5 owners, stay away. A porsche, Jaguar, Maserati, etc, with 5 owners might be bad, but it could also be meaningless as weekend cars are swapped out for new toys. Also one trip through the dealer wholesale network can add a bunch of "owners" too

Old 08-03-2022, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cee jay
well, your car is still going strong. Uglier than **** now, but still at it! (see your 'carjacked' post)
proof of the value of solid maintenance

The following 2 users liked this post by pk4144:
bamaboy473 (08-04-2022), V7Sport (08-04-2022)
Old 05-16-2023, 07:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 XK

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
From my own personal experience, the first year 2007 is the one to get. I know this sounds unusual, as first year production cars usually have the most problems...but Jaguar got this one right the very first time. It is also the only year with a leather and wood steering wheel and it has a traditional gear shifter (instead of the later rising one) and I have added a custom made shift knob that looks fabulous (see pic). The 2007 body style is the best as well when compared to XKR/S models in my opinion (car makers have a tendency to get the first year right and then make them less attractive each passing year). I also recommend a coupe over a convertible, not only because there are less things that can go wrong but it just looks stunning. Let us know which one you decide to buy.
Totally agree that the 2007 XK may be the best year The only thing I disagree with is that the convertible is far sexier and if you live where I do with nearly 300 sunny days year, the ragtop is a must! 😉

The following 7 users liked this post by ejwpga:
CA Jag (05-16-2023), Cee Jay (05-16-2023), ClayAK (05-18-2023), Hans Amstein (05-18-2023), jbmi (05-16-2023), kj07xk (05-16-2023), v8deuce (05-16-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:46 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 792 Posts

offering a opposing opinion;-). too pretty for me. Give me a coupe any day.

jahummer (05-18-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
offering a opposing opinion;-). too pretty for me. Give me a coupe any day.
Of course you'd say that... "Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada"

Old 05-17-2023, 09:26 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Old 05-17-2023, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
On a partially related tangent, I just learned that 80% of Canadiens live south of the northern edge of the US.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:40 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

It's best to go with the last generation cause I heard the last generation,they fixed every kink about the car that it have throughout the years that goes wrong with them.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:37 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
On a partially related tangent, I just learned that 80% of Canadiens live south of the northern edge of the US.
Well, you could misinterpret that to imply we like to be close to our neighbors…. or realize that in the 18th century, the only efficient means of travel was the Great Lakes.
Then again, Drives like the Adirondack Park or Sails like the San Juan Islands, or generally wasting time like in the New England States keeps me pretty happy.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

"Heck, my parents bought a new car every 5 years. Dad was an airline pilot with enough bucks to do anything to a car. His logic was that the car should go 5 years before it needed tires, oil change, anything....so he never did a thing to his cars. Makes a guy wonder who's the smart one, lol."

I guess the mechanics who maintained the planes he flew didn't feel the same way. Ha-ha.

Last edited by ClayAK; 05-18-2023 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add quote
Hans Amstein (05-18-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Im in SoCal and I prefer the coupes over the vert, but mostly because the roofline changes and the curves/hips loose their optical illusion of being a wide body car, and then there is the slope of the hatch which is also lost with verts. No hate on a vert but the coupe is sexier to me. Some guys like *****, some like ***, and some dont care.