XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Remote Top demo video !

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I hope I'm still on the list.. with international shipping .. oh wait!.. I opened a special account for myself with NY address

Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Number 27. Those who do not order within a few days of notification will forfeit their place in line, so chances are you will get one from the second dozen I am assembling now.
Just curious, how are we going to be notified? Can I get an idea where I am on the list please and when when I should expect it? No rush, we are still buried under a few feet of snow.

I am just watching an Vin Diesel movie called A Man Apart and the bad guy has a 911 with a convertible top that he can control with a remote and it reminded me of my order here.

Thanks

Andre

Old 02-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

If I have your email address you will be notified by email, otherwise by private mail through the forum.

You will be given a private link to order from my website using Paypal.

Again, sorry for the delay, but we are still working to wrap up the final testing. It should not be too much longer.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

If I have your email address you will be notified by email, otherwise by private mail through the forum.

You will be given a private link to order from my website using Paypal.

Again, sorry for the delay, but we are still working to wrap up the final testing. It should not be too much longer.
Steve:

As far as I am concerned, take your time. For many of us this will be a DIY installation, and we will be required to removed the roll bar boxes, handle wiring, and I am sure none of us want to ?u?k this up.

I know many would want to make sure that your device works properly and has been fully tested.

Thanks so much for the updates.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
ralphwg (02-23-2014), WhiteXKR (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Steve:

As far as I am concerned, take your time. For many of us this will be a DIY installation, and we will be required to removed the roll bar boxes, handle wiring, and I am sure none of us want to ?u?k this up.

I know many would want to make sure that your device works properly and has been fully tested.

Thanks so much for the updates.
Thanks Richard. I absolutely agree. I want every one to have a good installation experience and really enjoy the product. If it takes longer that originally planned to start shipments in order to assure quality, then so it will be.

Also to be clear, I do not accept payment or orders until I have inventory ready to ship.

Even though TheJagWrangler is a part-time business, it continues to thrive because of a solid reputation for useful, quality products with great installation support.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
JimC64 (02-23-2014), ralphwg (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks Richard. I absolutely agree. I want every one to have a good installation experience and really enjoy the product. If it takes longer that originally planned to start shipments in order to assure quality, then so it will be.

Also to be clear, I do not accept payment or orders until I have inventory ready to ship.

Even though TheJagWrangler is a part-time business, it continues to thrive because of a solid reputation for useful, quality products with great installation support.

Hi Steve, good to see this is going well, I'd expect no different.

Its quite simply your attention to detail and thorough thought through products with complete fool proof installation guides that mean people are queuing up to buy.

Hopefully its all sorted and good to go soon, anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Thanks

Jim

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (02-23-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Steve, sorry for showing my anxiousness, however, any chance of an update and ETA on the product?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Steve, sorry for showing my anxiousness, however, any chance of an update and ETA on the product?
Thats OK, spring is in the air and lots of folks are wondering where their remotes are.

I have started shipping production LHD '07-'09 versions to the first customers on the waiting list. You should be hearing from me probably in fairly early April, if not sooner.

I have one more Beta validation to do on the LHD '10 and later versions planned for later this week. If all checks out, production for those will start shipping also.

The RHD Beta test unit got unfortunately ridiculously delayed in customs, but hopefully I will have a better idea of where we stand with that within a week.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-24-2014 at 10:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
ndy.boyd (03-24-2014), ralphwg (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Great. Looking forward to this technical marvel.

WhiteXKR (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm excited and looking forward to it.

WhiteXKR (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

With all the pent up demand on display here, I could not help but jump in. Steve has been using my 2010 XKR as the guinea pig for his this development effort and has ben doing an outstanding job. I can confirm that we are very very close, and Steve is ready for what we expect to be the final code install and test. Once in place it will just be a matter of putting it through its paces for a final test run and sign off. I'll give a detailed account of Steve's efforts once things are finalized but for now, I can say once you have it, you won't understand how you could ever live without it.

The following 3 users liked this post by UsmaXKR2010:
ralphwg (03-25-2014), sherbercars (03-29-2014), WhiteXKR (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Steve,

Thanks for doing this. Being an engineer myself, I can appreciate all the hard work it must have taken to figure out the details of interfacing with the existing Jag system and to come up with your amazing device.

In about 2 years of owning my 2008 XKR, the same stupid design with the convertible top has bitten me about 4 times now (inevitably always at the most inconvenient/embarassing times):
It turns out that if you turn the ignition off or try and start the car at the same time as opening/closing the roof, the roof will immediately stop in a halfway open position and then cease to operate further. Apparently it's way too easy to make the computer completely forget the position of the roof by doing pretty much anything else at the same time, so it plays safe and wont move it at all any more. When it does get into this state there is only one (bloody inconvenient) solution:
1) remove the panel between the rear seats to obtain the special tool
2) go into the trunk, remove the side panel, open a valve on the roof pump with the tool
3) locate and pull on an often hard-to-find handle to manually open the roof cover
4) wait for maybe 15 minutes for the pressure to bleed off in the hydraulic roof system so you can then manhandle the roof into its stowed position.
5) close the hard cover, pump valve, boot panel, replace the tool, replace the panel between the seats
6) cycle the roof through a complete learning cycle.

Clearly your box circumvents/replaces significant parts of the functionality of Jaguar's roof computer/sequence, so I was wondering if it conveniently now also eliminates the need to go through that whole recovery process if you ever happen to cut the power with the roof halfway. (Even though I already know about the problem, the odd 'senior' moment still causes me to occasionally get caught out by it).
If your box doesn't currently address that problem, I would strongly recommend adding it as a (highly valuable) feature/future update if at all possible.

I really can't believe that Jag thought it was ever OK to market a car that behaves in this way. It seems there have been several big drops in acceptable quality/usability/common sense practice for the 2007+ model XKs compared to the old ones (don't even get me started on the subjects of bluetooth updates/phone/ACM USB handling/DVD media compatibility). For sure my old 2000 XKR didn't mind if you operated the roof and stopped halfway, or tried to start the car at the same time. I just dont see why this known problem (the recovery process is even documented in the handbook) should have ever actually existed at all.

Regards,
Neil.

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-25-2014 at 12:12 PM.
WhiteXKR (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Hi Steve,

Thanks for doing this. Being an engineer myself, I can appreciate all the hard work it must have taken to figure out the details of interfacing with the existing Jag system and to come up with your amazing device.

In about 2 years of owning my 2008 XKR, the same stupid design with the convertible top has bitten me about 4 times now ( Inevitably always at the most inconvenient/embarassing times):
It turns out that if you turn the ignition off or try and start the car at the same time as opening/closing the roof, the roof will immediately stop in a halfway open position and then cease to operate further. Apparently its way too easy to make the computer completely forget the position of the roof by doing pretty much anything else at the same time, so it plays safe and wont move it at all any more. When it does get into this state there is only one (bloody inconvenient) solution:
1) remove the panel between the rear seats to obtain the special tool
2) go into the trunk, remove the side panel, open a valve on the roof pump with the tool
3) locate and pull on a normally hard-to-find handle to manually open the roof cover
4) wait for maybe 15 minutes for the pressure to bleed off in the hydraulic roof system so you can then manhandle the roof into its stowed open position.
5) close the hard cover, pump valve, boot panel, replace the tool, replace the panel between the seats
6) cycle the roof through a complete learning cycle.

Clearly your box assists/circumvents significant parts of the functionality of Jaguar's roof computer, so I was wondering if it also happens to conveniently negate the need to go through that whole process if you stop the roof halfway. Even though I already know about the problem, the odd 'senior' moment still causes me to occasionally get caught out by it.
If your box doesn't currently address that problem, I would strongly recommend adding it as a valuable future update if at all feasable.

I really can't believe Jag even thought it was ever OK to market a car that behaves in this way. It seems there have been several big drops in usability standards for the 2007+ model XKs compared to the old ones (don't even get me started on the subject of bluetooth updates/phone/USB media compatibility). For sure my old 2000 XKR didn't mind if you operated the roof and stopped halfway, or tried to start the car at the same time. i dont see why this problem has to exist at all.

Regards,
Neil.
Neil-
We are there already with the remote top design and have solved this problem! You can actually hit the remote or the console one touch button AND start the car WHILE the engine is cranking and everything works fine. It actually feels so much more natural just getting in and not having to wait.

You also can stop the operation at any time by hitting the opposite button from the direction the top is going and a second press will then let you continue or reverse.

Generally the only time the system might get confused now requiring a reset as you describe is if you have a very, very low battery or if it hits an obstacle....and these were always issues in the original design.

Steve

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.
sherbercars (03-29-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UsmaXKR2010
With all the pent up demand on display here, I could not help but jump in. Steve has been using my 2010 XKR as the guinea pig for his this development effort and has ben doing an outstanding job. I can confirm that we are very very close, and Steve is ready for what we expect to be the final code install and test. Once in place it will just be a matter of putting it through its paces for a final test run and sign off. I'll give a detailed account of Steve's efforts once things are finalized but for now, I can say once you have it, you won't understand how you could ever live without it.

Thanks Michael. You have been incredibly patient and generous with your time. And thank you for entrusting me to work on your gorgeous vehicle.

Without Michael's help we would not have had a version for the 2010 and later cars anytime soon. Jaguar literally redesigned the 2010 and later cars so they speak a different language between the electronic modules.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please count me in, including the rear window raiser.

I added a Kufatec remote roof module to an Audi A3 cab a few years ago. It required a reset of the error codes generated by the loss of communications whilst the roof module was disconnected when fitting the remote module. Will this be required after fitting to the Jaguar?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skyboy
Please count me in, including the rear window raiser.

I added a Kufatec remote roof module to an Audi A3 cab a few years ago. It required a reset of the error codes generated by the loss of communications whilst the roof module was disconnected when fitting the remote module. Will this be required after fitting to the Jaguar?
I will add you to the waiting list.

For the XK Remote, installation is performed with the battery disconnected, so it should not generate communications faults.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by UsmaXKR2010
As the beta tester with my 2008 XKR I would like to concur with USMA above. There have been a few hic-ups but a email to Steve and it was fixed the day after, he's an absolute marvel, and with his very detailed instructions it is a very easy installation, Don't be afraid to take it on if your so inclined, and as above you will be amazed when you press the remote for the first time. I would like to take this opportunity To thank Steve for this Mod and for my chance to have helped and for his time and patience. THANK YOU .Bernie

Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 AM

Can't wait till its my turn on the waiting list.. (could not be that far down..)... new roof is installed.. and the weather here is perfect now..

Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sherbercars
As the beta tester with my 2008 XKR I would like to concur with USMA above. There have been a few hic-ups but a email to Steve and it was fixed the day after, he's an absolute marvel, and with his very detailed instructions it is a very easy installation, Don't be afraid to take it on if your so inclined, and as above you will be amazed when you press the remote for the first time. I would like to take this opportunity To thank Steve for this Mod and for my chance to have helped and for his time and patience. THANK YOU .Bernie

Hows the wind draft with the back windows up too?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Parzival
Hows the wind draft with the back windows up too?
I havent had chance to drive it ,the snow has only just gone and the roads have not been cleaned yet, but i am sure it will help considerably . BL

Quick Reply: XK Remote Top demo video !