XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Remote Top demo video !

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Parzival
Hows the wind draft with the back windows up too?
I would say their is definitely an improvement, but it is not dramatic.

Used in conjunction with a wind deflector however, it improves the performance of the wind deflector and combined the effect is quite substantial.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Thats OK, spring is in the air and lots of folks are wondering where their remotes are.

I have started shipping production LHD '07-'09 versions to the first customers on the waiting list. You should be hearing from me probably in fairly early April, if not sooner.

I have one more Beta validation to do on the LHD '10 and later versions planned for later this week. If all checks out, production for those will start shipping also.

The RHD Beta test unit got unfortunately ridiculously delayed in customs, but hopefully I will have a better idea of where we stand with that within a week.
Here is a quick update:

Invitations to order for owners of '07-'09 Left Hand Drive (LHD) vehicles on the waiting list will continue to go out this week.

Results this past weekend on the 2010 and later Beta validation and the RHD Beta validation are so far looking excellent. Barring any issues, these versions will start shipping once we get another week or two of mileage on them.

If you want one, the quickest way is still to contact me to get on the waiting list. General availability will not open up until after all waiting list customers get their units.

For those new to this thread, here is what we are talking about:

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-01-2014 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ap4000 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All installed and working.
I don't know how I lived without it!!! OK, a little exaggeration for effect but I seriously love this.

Thank you Steve.

By the way, I also wanted to share, for people that don't know Steve, the high quality of the product. He also proactively sent me updated software and manuals.

The install took about 3.5 hours having to dealing with a couple of hickups that I created for myself. The installation instructions are extremely detailed and leave very little room for error.

Andre

The following 2 users liked this post by ap4000:
Norri (04-04-2014), WhiteXKR (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Should I buy one without yet, taking possession of my '08 XKR?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Should I buy one without yet, taking possession of my '08 XKR?
Ken, you are OK. Once you have been notified, as you have, they will continue to be available (as long as I don't get hit by a bus ).

I am just asking people to either purchase it within 3 days of notification or let me know their plans, so I know about how many I need to be building.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-03-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ap4000
All installed and working.
I don't know how I lived without it!!! OK, a little exaggeration for effect but I seriously love this.

Thank you Steve.

By the way, I also wanted to share, for people that don't know Steve, the high quality of the product. He also proactively sent me updated software and manuals.

The install took about 3.5 hours having to dealing with a couple of hickups that I created for myself. The installation instructions are extremely detailed and leave very little room for error.

Andre
Congratulations Andre...I am glad you are happy with it.

Your original request for this product goes back to October 2011, shortly after I had started my website. Thank you for your patience!!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, Steve, I finished the install and couldn't be happier. The remote works perfectly and your instructions were pretty much fool proof. I've never tackled anything like this before and to be honest, I'm quite proud of myself.

One suggestion, however, is that perhaps a warning would be helpful for us oldsters about working in tight quarters. After about 20 minutes in the back of the Jag, I had to pee like a race horses and when I went to exit the car, I found that both my legs had gone to sleep. It was all that I could do to wabble into the house. It was a very close call.

Thanks again for your hard work in developing this module. As Jag mods go, it's dirt cheap and very functional.

Cheers.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Well, Steve, I finished the install and couldn't be happier. The remote works perfectly and your instructions were pretty much fool proof. I've never tackled anything like this before and to be honest, I'm quite proud of myself.

One suggestion, however, is that perhaps a warning would be helpful for us oldsters about working in tight quarters. After about 20 minutes in the back of the Jag, I had to pee like a race horses and when I went to exit the car, I found that both my legs had gone to sleep. It was all that I could do to wabble into the house. It was a very close call.

Thanks again for your hard work in developing this module. As Jag mods go, it's dirt cheap and very functional.

Cheers.
Perhaps Steve should include a 14 oz cup in the kit, as well....

Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Couldn't we install the kit with the roof in an open position? that makes the work area a lot better

Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Parzival
Couldn't we install the kit with the roof in an open position? that makes the work area a lot better
Yes, you can if you want to. The problem is getting access to the battery when the top is open.

To do this, you will need to disconnect the battery while the top is closed then MANUALLY open the top. The appendix of the instructions gives the manual top operating procedure. You will need to manually close the top (at least partway each time you need access to the battery), and then manually open the top again.

Manually operating the top was an unnecessary complication in my opinion, so I wrote the instructions in a way that this was not necessary. On the other hand, if it is physically difficult for you to install the module with the top up, then this may be a better approach.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-09-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Installed it.. took about 1 hrs total.. and after the software update all is working fine

thank you!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any news on RHD.

Anymore news on the RHD units. only 15 weeks of so called summer left in the UK..

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by unders
Anymore news on the RHD units. only 15 weeks of so called summer left in the UK..
Yes, the testing was successful and no changes are required for RHD cars!

I had started shipping the RHD production units about a week ago. You happen to be next on the list as soon as my next production lot is built. You should hear from me in about a week to 10 days.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-29-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM

On the weekend, my son and his girlfriend were over and she was admiring the XK in the driveway. She asked how the car looked with the top down, so I told her it operated by voice command and to go ahead and say "top down". She did and when nothing happened, I instructed her to put her left hand in the air and her right hand on her hip and to try again, but louder. So, without hesitation, she complied and with the push of the buttons on the key fob in my pocket, down the top came. She was amazed. My wife gave me the evil eye. Sometime after dinner, I looked out our front window and there the young lady was, left hand in the air, right hand on her hip, presumably trying to put the top up. I could have had some more fun with her, but by this point, I had tears in my eyes, I was laughing so hard.

Good thing she's got the looks.

The following 2 users liked this post by ndy.boyd:
ralphwg (04-29-2014), WhiteXKR (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
On the weekend, my son and his girlfriend were over and she was admiring the XK in the driveway. She asked how the car looked with the top down, so I told her it operated by voice command and to go ahead and say "top down". She did and when nothing happened, I instructed her to put her left hand in the air and her right hand on her hip and to try again, but louder. So, without hesitation, she complied and with the push of the buttons on the key fob in my pocket, down the top came. She was amazed. My wife gave me the evil eye. Sometime after dinner, I looked out our front window and there the young lady was, left hand in the air, right hand on her hip, presumably trying to put the top up. I could have had some more fun with her, but by this point, I had tears in my eyes, I was laughing so hard.

Good thing she's got the looks.
Another great story!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Really funny!!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

PS With some assistance I plan on installing my remote on Friday of this week!!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
PS With some assistance I plan on installing my remote on Friday of this week!!
Ralphwg, how did you make out with your install, or are you still at it?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

It is installed and mostly operable. I had assistance with the install on Friday and we ran into a software problem. the unit and the key fob's light button refused to communicate. So, everything works other than the remote top down. The one touch up and down in the car works like a charm and the rear windows now go up and down with three pushes or lifts on the passenger side window control button and the remote top up control works just fine.

Steve worked with my guy for about 45 minutes and came to the conclusion that a software upgrade was necessary to get the remote and the keyfob to communicate with each other in order to lower the top from the keyfob. Steve got the re-written software to us Friday night, but we haven't had the chance to do the upgrade yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I cannot say enough good things about Steve and his invention. He is better than his word and extremely pleasant.

Regarding the benefits of the remote unit with the window feature; there is very little if any wind in the cabin with all the windows up and the Adamesh deflector in place driving at 70 to 75 mph. I will let you know how the upgrade goes when we get to it (hopefully tomorrow). By the way it is extremely cool to walk away from the car and then put the top up from a distance of 10 or more feet. In the next few days I will also try it at further distances. Furthermore it is another pleasure not to have to hold the button on the top of the windshield while waiting for the top to do its thing going up or down.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (05-05-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd be really interested in understanding why everyone else hasn't also hit this problem. Is it because of the year of your car?

Quick Reply: XK Remote Top demo video !