XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Remote Top demo video !

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default Did I leave anyone out ?

I believe everyone on the waiting list has now been notified and has received instructions on how to order their Remote Top kit.

If I missed you, please let me know!

For those who have not ordered yet, please note that you have been offered special introductory pricing for being an early supporter of this project. This special pricing will expire at the end of May.

Thanks to all of you who have helped make this product a great success!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks to you, Steve, for developing such a great, reliable and functional product for our verts. I actually had another XK owner follow me into a parking lot last week to ask me how I got my back windows to come up with the top down. When I showed him how they worked and the remote top, I thought he was going to pass out. I extracted your contact deets and website URL from my i-Phone and gave it to him.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Thanks to you, Steve, for developing such a great, reliable and functional product for our verts. I actually had another XK owner follow me into a parking lot last week to ask me how I got my back windows to come up with the top down. When I showed him how they worked and the remote top, I thought he was going to pass out. I extracted your contact deets and website URL from my i-Phone and gave it to him.
Thank you Syd. I always felt these were features Jaguar should have had in the car to begin with.

Well over 1000 hours went into perfecting this product. It is very gratifying to see it overwhelmingly being appreciated and enjoyed.

Also a reminder: For those on the waiting list who have not ordered yet, please note that you have been offered special introductory pricing for being a supporter of this project. This special pricing has been extended to June 8 using the link you were emailed. Please place your order before the price increases. Units are in stock for immediate shipment now.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-03-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default Remote Top Now available, in stock

The waiting list has ended and the Remote Top/One touch//Rear window control module can now be ordered directly on my website at: NEW!! '06 -'15, XK / XKR (X150) Convertible Top Remote Control - TheJagWrangler .

Thanks again to all of my Beta testers and early supporters of this product !

The following users liked this post:
sherbercars (06-25-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Steve,
Just want to say thanks from another happy customer with the unit now installed and working perfectly first time.

I want to echo what the others are saying here, the kit and instructions are of very high quality, not hard to install, and works perfectly.

I'm very much looking forward to your other future enhancements for the newer shape XK(R)s.

A better bluetooth module (i.e. one that is properly compatible with samsung/android phones phonebooks and also supports streaming audio) would be very much appreciated!!!

Neil.

WhiteXKR (06-07-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

One of my customers very kindly provided a German translation from English for the Remote Top Installation and Operation manual. He then installed it successfully using the German instructions. The German version will go on my website shortly.

In the meantime, if anyone wants a copy, let me know.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-21-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I would think that you can put the text of the "Instruction Manual" into a "Word" document then translate it into any langauge.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I would think that you can put the text of the "Instruction Manual" into a "Word" document then translate it into any langauge.
Do you mean an automated translation? That would never be accurate enough. This translation was done by a bilingual person.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

@ WhiteXKR,

today my remote top unit arrived. Customs in Germany delayed the shipment because of custom taxes which had to be payed before clearance for shipment to me. So the cost in Germany is raised by additional 65€. Nevertheless I'm eager to install the unit and I will immediately post my experiences with implementing the unit into my XKR.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mcdutch
@ WhiteXKR,

today my remote top unit arrived. Customs in Germany delayed the shipment because of custom taxes which had to be payed before clearance for shipment to me. So the cost in Germany is raised by additional 65€. Nevertheless I'm eager to install the unit and I will immediately post my experiences with implementing the unit into my XKR.
I am glad it arrived.
Please contact me on my website Contact Us - TheJagWrangler if you have any questions or run into any issues. It is important to me that everyone has a successful installation.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 AM

@ WhiteXKR,

Today I installed the remote unit. With the right tools, a piece of cake. The perfect description makes the installing a joy and everything works fine. The checking procedures which have to be followed to make sure everything is connected as it is planned, certifies the correct installment. So I'm a very happy XKR-Driver that can show of and enjoy opening the top without getting a cramp from clinging to a button.

Great kit WhiteXKR and respect for the development of it. One wonders why Jaguar themselves can't come up with a solution like that!

I can advise all Convertible-drivers to do this installing themselves. No problem at all.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:46 AM

After 2 tours, 500 Km+, I can confirm the effectiveness of the extra back glass panes when up.
It is a reduction of wind swirls of probably 35% compared to the normal setup with the windowpanes of the front doors up.
A usefull item when buying the remote top anyway

WhiteXKR (07-04-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Another Satisfied Customer!

I finally got around to installing Steve's kit since my wife abandoned me this weekend to go to her annual reunion with her college sorority sisters. First thing I did was to print the installation instructions - I was overwhelmed that they were 39 pages long! What did I get myself into??? My fears were unfounded.

My "Thanks" to Steve for a superb product with well-written instructions with photos. I am not a mechanic, but have lots of experience assembling toys for my grandkids so I figured I'd give it a shot. Bottom line is that everything works and I can't believe I did it all by myself!

If I can do it, anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw can do it. All you need is patience - and not too much arthritis!

I want to give you my thoughts about the installation that are not covered in Steve's instructions.

1. Make sure you use the latest version of the instructions, which (as of today) is Version 1.6. I mention this because I inadvertently used Version 1.5 and thought I had a problem but actually did not after emailing Steve.

2. Do the work in your garage on a cool day, and make sure to have a fan to blow air into the car while you're working. Keep a cold drink handy - you'll need it.

3. Give yourself as much room to work as possible in the back seat. After you use the electrical switches on the doors to move both seats/backs as far forward and up as possible, pull the chrome handle on the top of each seat back to make them flip forward. Remove the seatbelts from the loop holders on the seat backs to make it easier to get in and out.

4. Make it as as comfortable as possible in the back seat. After you remove the seats the surfaces are hard and uncomfortable so use a foam stadium seat or other cushioning. It's cramped back there and you'll be in some awkward positions at times, so some padding will help.

4. Put the small parts that M removed (bolts, nuts, etc.) in separate ziplock bags and label each bag to identify what they're used for to facilitate re-installation. Note: I didn't do this, and had all the small parts in the cup holder but I wasted time sorting through everything when putting it back together.

5. Take your time, follow the instructions step-by-step, and make sure that you tighten each posi-tap connector securely.

I actually had fun doing the installation, and am quite proud of my work! If I can do it, so can you!

THANKS AGAIN, STEVE!

Stuart

P.S. Since I had to remove the back seats, I took that opportunity to thoroughly clean and condition them. Although they didn't look bad before I started, I was surprised that my white rags got so filthy. There's more dirt on those seats than you think!

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-22-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
mcdutch (07-21-2014), richzak (07-20-2014), WhiteXKR (07-22-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Now comes the fun part. It is a real kick to lower and raise the top from outside the car. Also no longer having to hold the button to put the top up and down is a big plus as is the ability to control the rear windows as you wish.
Steve is truly a genius when it comes to xks and is a super nice guy to boot.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
sherbercars (07-21-2014), WhiteXKR (07-22-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Now comes the fun part. It is a real kick to lower and raise the top from outside the car. Also no longer having to hold the button to put the top up and down is a big plus as is the ability to control the rear windows as you wish.
Steve is truly a genius when it comes to xks and is a super nice guy to boot.
+1 !!!

mcdutch (07-21-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Stuart, Ralph, mcdutch...thank you all for posting your recent experiences with the Remote Top/One Touch/Rear Window control module.
Developing this product has been a creative endeavor for me and I am extremely happy to see my efforts enjoyed by others!!

I know there are a number of folks considering the upgrade but would prefer not to do it themselves.

-If you are in driving distance of the DC Metro area, please contact me..I can install it for you myself.

-If you are in the NYC tri-state area, I have an installer who has experience with it.

-If you are in the LA area, I have a free-lance experienced installer who will be happy to come to you.

In other areas, contact me at Contact Us - TheJagWrangler and I will attempt to find someone to help you.

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I finally got around to installing Steve's kit since my wife abandoned me this weekend to go to her annual reunion with her college sorority sisters. First thing I did was to print the installation instructions - I was overwhelmed that they were 39 pages long! What did I get myself into??? My fears were unfounded.

My "Thanks" to Steve for a superb product with well-written instructions with photos. I am not a mechanic, but have lots of experience assembling toys for my grandkids so I figured I'd give it a shot. Bottom line is that everything works and I can't believe I did it all by myself!

If I can do it, anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw can do it. All you need is patience - and not too much arthritis!

I want to give you my thoughts about the installation that are not covered in Steve's instructions.

1. Make sure you use the latest version of the instructions, which (as of today) is Version 1.6. I mention this because I inadvertently used Version 1.5 and thought I had a problem but actually did not after emailing Steve.

2. Do the work in your garage on a cool day, and make sure to have a fan to blow air into the car while you're working. Keep a cold drink handy - you'll need it.

3. Give yourself as much room to work as possible in the back seat. After you use the electrical switches on the doors to move both seats/backs as far forward and up as possible, pull the chrome handle on the top of each seat back to make them flip forward. Remove the seatbelts from the loop holders on the seat backs to make it easier to get in and out.

4. Make it as as comfortable as possible in the back seat. After you remove the seats the surfaces are hard and uncomfortable so use a foam stadium seat or other cushioning. It's cramped back there and you'll be in some awkward positions at times, so some padding will help.

4. Put the small parts that you removed (bolts, nuts, etc.) in separate ziplock bags and label each bag to identify what they're used for to facilitate re-installation. Note: I didn't do this, and had all the small parts in the cup holder but I wasted time sorting through everything when putting it back together.

5. Take your time, follow the instructions step-by-step, and make sure that you tighten each posi-tap connector securely.

I actually had fun doing the installation, and am quite proud of my work! If I can do it, so can you!

THANKS AGAIN, STEVE!

Stuart
If I could add one comment to Stuart's excellent recommendations, make sure you have adequate lighting before you proceed. A mechanic's light (preferably fluorescent - less heat) will save you a lot of time in repositioning the light for clear vision. Remember, you will be doing most of the work with the top up, so its rather dark back there. Also, take the time to get out and stretch occasionally. Your legs can go to sleep in that restricted space if you're not careful. Ask me how I know.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

I used a great little 27 LED flashlight that I bought from my local Harbor Freight. Here's the link if you don't have a retail store near you: Portable Worklight & Flashlight - 27 LED Light Flashlight

What make it great is that it has 3 LEDs in the front that function as a conventional flashlight and 24 LEDs on the top that alternately function as a worklight. Plus it has a very handy folding adjustable hook embedded on the bottom and a magnetic base. Can't beat it for the price! Only $3.49 on sale (reg. $5.99). I bought several to keep in my cars and at home. Highly recommended!

I tried to make the pictures smaller but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-22-2014 at 09:37 PM.
richzak (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delighted with my installation. The auto up/down is great. Perhaps some of you may find this experience I had today useful.
Drove the car out of the garage and it said remote battery low. I stopped the engine and went int the house to replace the battery. When I came back out to the car the top was down. I thought perhaps I'd touched the buttons when changing the battery. Drove down the road and it started to rain so I slowed for a junction and pressed the top up button. Nothing happened so had visions of a car full of water ! I managed to pull over and tried again. The top started to close and then stopped half way. Rumage for the manual to remind myself how to raise it manually, find the key and go to the boot to use the key. The boot wasn't closed properly! It must have opened when I was changing the battery. I closed the boot and the roof closed, although it didn't put the windows up. They went up ok manually and I have since cycled the roof when I got the car back in the garage and all is OK. Moral being if it won't close properly check the boot is closed !

Old 08-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skyboy
Moral being if it won't close properly check the boot is closed !
Thanks for your reminder tale. Just to be clear, this is a safety feature and is the case with or without the Remote Top upgrade.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-09-2014 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: XK Remote Top demo video !