XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Repairs - Attention to Detail - Too Much to Ask?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK Repairs - Attention to Detail - Too Much to Ask?

I should say that I had an XJ8 prior to the 07 XK and this experience is indicative of my experience on a number of occasions.

Purchased the XK 1,200 km ago (2007) and quickly noticed a fit and finish issue with the rubber trim on the rear passenger window. Take the car in and am told that the entire interior quarter panel (from bottom to top) will need to be replaced....big job. Part is special ordered from England.

Car goes to the dealership for 3 solid days...I pick it up. Get in and see a beautiful Bower & Wilkinson speaker. Most of you will know that 07 to 09 offered Alpine speakers for premium sound. The speakers clearly did not match...it was obvious...I now have 3 Alpine and 1 B&W. Clearly car will go back in, but seriously, how can a tech working on the car for 5+ hrs not notice that they don't match....

Again, not the first (or even 5th) time this lack of attention to detail has negatively impacted my Jaguar experience....

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

oops, that is very odd. Did they blow a speaker and only had a B&W in stock?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM

I suspect that the speaker comes with the panel....don't know if that makes any sense, but it is the only explanation...I think...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll chime in here with my experience. I have had several Jaguars....and I have had several problems with service representatives. I have worked on a lot of my own cars and I know when something is either done incorrectly or am told a load of crap. I am sure there are truly some service reps that know their business but I have seen reps that bristle when you call them on inconsistencies with their assessment. This has happened with me with Jaguars and BMW's and I feel sure that they are so used to someone just accepting what they say as the final word.
My biggest problem as of late is that I have actually almost come to blows with a service rep that said a broken glove compartment hydraulic damper would not be covered under warranty for my 1 year old 10k mile 100k plus car. In fact he went so far as to tell me that Jaguar only covered defective parts...not broken ones. They also started accusing the people that put in the radar (me...tho they didn't know that) of breaking the glove box damper (which they were going to charge me over 500 to repair as I recall) which by the way was not even in the same area that the radar detector was put in...and I guess I did break it as I was the one the pushed the little button that opened it...
So what do you do...roll over and allow them to ignore what is obviously a problem and a warranty issue or do you stand your ground...I stood my ground and am irritated that I have to handle repairs on my car this way...I have had several Jaguars and am getting real close to never buying a new one again...If I feel I have to have one I will get a used one and fix it myself...

Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely odd... but not unexpected from any dealer, regardless of make. Most techs are there to check off boxes on their "to-do" list, not to think of what is best for the customer or the car.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had same experience at dealer service. They are so careless. My Jag always come back all scratched up after service. I live in NYC. Don't go to Great Neck, Roslyn dealer. They are just so bad.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Definitely odd... but not unexpected from any dealer, regardless of make. Most techs are there to check off boxes on their "to-do" list, not to think of what is best for the customer or the car.
I agree yet disagree, of all makes, a number of years ago I had a Chevy truck that I was driving down the road suddenly it got this horrendous shake in the front end. I immediately took it in to the nearest Chevy dealer (not even the same state that I bought the truck in) to come to find out something had hit the radiator fan breaking off one of the blades. Not only did they replace the fan free of charge, they did a complete oil change and washed the truck, all in about 15 minutes, none of wish was under warranty. Needless to say I continued to have all my services done at this dealer and not once did they charge me. I bought my next truck at this same dealer a few years after. So all in all, there are some good dealers out there, but you do have to look or be lucky like I was.