XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll post a vote here for the humble Sumitomo HTR Z III's. I have no idea if they are as good as or come anywhwere close to the Michelin PSS's as I've never had those on the car. I will say that Car and Driver have just named the PSS's #1 in a performance tire shoot out. The Sumitimo was not in the mix but I suspect that based on the C&D review, the ratings on tire rack as well as those on this forum the PSS's are a wise choice but maybe not the only choice.

What I can say is that the Sumo's are so much better than the original Dunlop Sport Maxx I replaced after only 7k miles. They beat the Dunlops hands down in all categories but especially noise and ride comfort. The drone from the Dunlops was like a wheel bearing had gone. If the PSS's are better again than the Sumo's then they are a hell of a tire.

My choice was based on a number of factors and not just the $500+ saving over the PSS's.

1. I had the Sumos on my 2008 Infiniti G35x and loved them
2. Check the reviews of owners on BMW, Vette, Mercedes, Porsche forums as well as owners who've posted reviews on tire rack and they get good marks. There's not that many Jag owners with them.
3. I have the 20" rims and didn't put as much emphasis on the tests on Tirerack, Consumer magazine etc. as they generally put tires on a test vehicle with 16 or 17" rims max. On tire rack it's a 328i with 225/45 x 17" wheel. I dont think you can compare the rolling characteristics of that tire with those of a 280/30 x 20" profile.
4. Price - $500 is $500!

At the limit I suspect the PSS's would beat the Sumo's on handling in both the wet and dry but for me the Sumo's give me all I need and they haven't once hydro-planed or felt unsecure in the wet but then I dont push it hard in the wet. If I could guarantee that the PSS's improved ride comfort and handling even further then I'd have no hesitation in going for the PSS's next time but for now I'm quite happy with the Sumo's. I have 6k miles on them and tread wear is very reasonable.

Steve

Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would choose Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. I have them now on my XKR. They are so far and away better than the stock tires in terms of handling precision, that I honestly am thinking of ripping the stock tires off of my new XKR when I trade this one in. I will admit that the Yokos have slightly less grip on full acceleration (it'll chirp between 1-2 and 2-3 on manual mode), but the trade-off is minor when it comes to handling precision. No waffle when you turn the wheel...just sharp turn-in.

Note also that the Yokos are an "extreme" tire according to Tire Rack, meaning that you will have less wet grip than normal summer tires (they can get a bit slippery) and you will see faster wear on the tire. But, Yokos are 60% the price of Michelin PS2s, so there you go. I have a different car to drive in rain, so I took that into account when purchasing my tires.

Yokos are fairly quiet too!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Guys, is there a final consensus? Using the XK/XKR as a daily driver, occasionally doing some spirited driving and possibly going to the track every so often, are we saying PSS are the best? And do they have a short thread life? I'm just curious if there is a final thought on this topic. Thanks guys!

Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Guys, is there a final consensus? Using the XK/XKR as a daily driver, occasionally doing some spirited driving and possibly going to the track every so often, are we saying PSS are the best? And do they have a short thread life? I'm just curious if there is a final thought on this topic. Thanks guys!
It's unrealistic to expect that you would be able to get consensus on anything among a large group of people...especially about tires. But there are several here that have them on their XK/XKR that are extremely impressed with them, Tire Rack's user survey rate them the highest among other max performance tires in every aspect including tread life, and Car and Driver rated them best overall among many top performers. It's obviously a great tire, many think it's the best currently available, and some suggest the best ever...what greater consensous could there be?

But I'd suggest any of the top tires would exceed your needs, so it's probably not essential for everyone to agree on one tire being the best in order to make a decision, and when you buy an XKR it may have a tire on it that you love and want to stick with. Many people will end up buying based on price from a selection of the top tires, and that will be the best for them. And there's a real good chance the guy who had a bad experience with a Michelin tire years ago will never buy or recommend a Michelin tire ever again, or that an XKR owner somewhere will think they're wearing a little too quickly

Bruce

And I've been so impressed with the stock tires on the road course that I can't wait to try these higher rated Michelins on mine when the Dunlops finally wear out.

Last edited by Bruce H.; 08-04-2012 at 06:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Interesting comparison. Thanks for posting.

It validates my impressions regarding the Hankook Ventus tires on my XK. In the dry, they are "nearly" as good as anything else out there for much less.

Quite surprised at the last place finish of the Pirelli Zero tires. Why would Ferrari and Lamborghini chose it as their standard tire? Just because it is Italian?

I just got a new 2012 XJL that came with the Pirelli Zero Nero all season tires (245F and 275R) and my initial impressions are that they are very linear, predictable with more than enough dry adhesion. On the big XJL they produce more precise handling, turn-in, holding the arc, less understeer, than my '05 or '08 XKs do. On the other hand I am not overly impressed with the ride quality of the Pirellis as they feels harsh, as not enough compliance in the sidewall. I'll try dropping the pressures a few lbs. As far as wear ratings, the ZeroNero is 400, which is very high. Have to see if it actually translates to long thread wear in real life.

Regarding such comparison, I think that one can not ignore the variables, as to the tires size tested and the test vehicle. The results may very well be different given other sizes and vehicles with differing suspension settings and features.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
The consensus is that there is no consensus. What might be the best fit for one person, might not be the best fit for another.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I started this mess and I'm thankful for all the opinions posted. I purchased a set of PSS's on Wednesday so I only have about 50 miles on them. Initial impressions are positive. They have an almost soft feel to them and handle great. The tire noise is about what I expected, not what I would call quiet but much better than the Dunlop SP Sports that were on the car when I bought it last month. The XK has a stiff suspension (it is a sports car, after all) and will take some getting used to after driving an XJ8 for the past seven years. The Michelin's are a good match for the XK's suspension, very tight and responsive. So, now I just need to enjoy driving the car. That's why I bought it!! Anyone interested in a well cared for '02 XJ8?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I have one comment to make about this thread. My own experience shows that it is often pointless to compare the performance of a tyre on different high performance cars. Subtleties in the spring, damper and bushing rates can turn a precise, quiet tyre on one car into a noisy gripless pogo stick on another.

As to my own XKR, it currently has Sumitomos on the rear and Hankooks on the front. It still had the original Dunlops on the rear when I got it but they had turned into hockey pucks. Reading around suggested the Sunis were the best bet for my style of driving and the local roads.

FYI, my local shop is reluctant to put Michelin Pilots on anything as the dry heat here kills them in no time.