XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Vs.F-Type target market.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I had my XK in for its 1 year check-up last week, and the dealer had 3 F-types on the lot. When I came back to pick up my car, they had parked it right next to the F-types. I mean...come on. There is simply no comparison to these cars. To me, there is nothing about the F-type that grabs my eye, or that sets it apart from any of the other little sports cars out there. In contrast, my car is drop dead gorgeous. I fall more in love with it every single day.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

People say the F-Type turns heads. And I have no doubt that it does. A lot of newly-designed cars turn heads--especially those of premium brands. But the true test is whether it is still turning heads in 5 years. My 6 year old XKR still turns a few heads...

Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Default F-Type vs 2012 XKR vert

I test drove a fully loaded F-type V-8 at a Jaguar event in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. They sent me an email about it and I signed up online, showed up at my appointment and took it out with a Jag rep. It was a good way to take a look at it without the hardcore sales pitch, unlike sometimes when at a dealership.

The throaty exhaust definitely seemed more pronounced to my ear when I pushed it compared to my XKR. That has its pros and cons, but it certainly drew some double-takes. This one was optioned to $110,000 Cdn in Orange which actually made it tens of thousands more than the new 2012 XKR vert I bought in March. Of course, I also am losing 2 model years but I intend to keep'er for a looong time so that doesn't bother me much at all.

The F-type had the same Performance seats I have so the interior felt familiar, but definitely more snug. Handling seemed more immediate and the suspension a bit firmer but I really felt it more over the rough pavement vs the XKR which would smooth out the potholes better. The lack of storage space seems the biggest issue as the trunk seemed pretty tight and with no back seats you are looking at a weekender vehicle in my view. Personally, I needed back seats for my kids so the F-type was never in the running but it was fun to take it out and compare.

In the looks department, it's a subjective thing of course. The F-type is new and fresh, looks sportier and has visibly tighter dimensions. The XKR in direct comparison however is far more elegant and has a great deal more presence to my eye. When comparing them top down, damn they both look great. Again though, the XKR exudes more presence and just looks that much more upscale. Especially when you put them side by side, which Jaguar should avoid doing if they want to sell lots of F-types... maybe a separate showroom.

My prediction is that the new XK, when it arrives in a few years, will grow in size and price and that will make this latest generation of 2012-2013-2014 XK models the ones to have long term if you`re spending that level of money. Just my 2 and a half cents.

The following 2 users liked this post by sharx8:
DGL (08-18-2013), ralphwg (08-18-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Did you know the F-Type is actually wider than the XK?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Did you know the F-Type is actually wider than the XK?
I knew that and I was looking for visual confirmation when it was sitting next to the XKR. Due to perhaps the small width difference or optical illusion, the XKR seemed larger, more substantial in all dimensions.

Albert

Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Nine of the top 10 automobile magazines have decided the F-Type is a "sports car." (The 10th hasn't reviewed it yet.") Jaguar says it's a sports car. Every review published online or in print says it's a sports car. I think we can close the door on that part of the conversation.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:48 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
I test drove a fully loaded F-type V-8 at a Jaguar event in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. They sent me an email about it and I signed up online, showed up at my appointment and took it out with a Jag rep. It was a good way to take a look at it without the hardcore sales pitch, unlike sometimes when at a dealership.

The throaty exhaust definitely seemed more pronounced to my ear when I pushed it compared to my XKR. That has its pros and cons, but it certainly drew some double-takes. This one was optioned to $110,000 Cdn in Orange which actually made it tens of thousands more than the new 2012 XKR vert I bought in March. Of course, I also am losing 2 model years but I intend to keep'er for a looong time so that doesn't bother me much at all.

The F-type had the same Performance seats I have so the interior felt familiar, but definitely more snug. Handling seemed more immediate and the suspension a bit firmer but I really felt it more over the rough pavement vs the XKR which would smooth out the potholes better. The lack of storage space seems the biggest issue as the trunk seemed pretty tight and with no back seats you are looking at a weekender vehicle in my view. Personally, I needed back seats for my kids so the F-type was never in the running but it was fun to take it out and compare.

In the looks department, it's a subjective thing of course. The F-type is new and fresh, looks sportier and has visibly tighter dimensions. The XKR in direct comparison however is far more elegant and has a great deal more presence to my eye. When comparing them top down, damn they both look great. Again though, the XKR exudes more presence and just looks that much more upscale. Especially when you put them side by side, which Jaguar should avoid doing if they want to sell lots of F-types... maybe a separate showroom.

My prediction is that the new XK, when it arrives in a few years, will grow in size and price and that will make this latest generation of 2012-2013-2014 XK models the ones to have long term if you`re spending that level of money. Just my 2 and a half cents.
+1

Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
+1
I bought a 2014 Porsche Cayman and it sits next to the Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition convertible in my garage.

In all of my research before buying the Porsche Cayman, the Cayman was consisitently compared to the Jaguar F-Type. Both are considered by so many, that they are "sports cars".

Having the Cayman next to the Jaguar XKR convertible can there can be no question, in at leaset my mind, that the XKR either coupe of Convertible is more of the GT type more than ever.

So I agree the there can be no question that the Jaguar F-type is a real "sports car".

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I'm looking at the Acura NSX with great interest as my next ride if Jaguar doesn't keep up with state-of-the-art innovation. The GT-R is not going to get a redesign until 2018 which you may see a model built under the Infiniti brand with more luxury features. It would be nice to see Jaguar produce a state-of-art new XK but that is highly unlikely given the newly designed F-type being designed with less than current technology--a very disappointing car in my opinion for a completely new car, and lost opportunity for Jaguar. I was hoping for more of the technology built into the XC-75 being made available in the F-type (dual clutch, AWD availability with AWD stability control, etc.). When I went out for a drive in my friends GT-R the AWD stability control was amazing. The car felt like it was on rails cornering (glued to the road).

Innovative manufactures building state-of-the-art design into their performance cars will leap frog other brands that don't use it. It the next 5 years performance cars, especially supercars, will change more than they have in the last 10 years making the brands that innovate much more advanced than brands that just kick the can down the road. When these new cars start coming out starting with the Acura NSX I will be taking a good look at them. For now I'm very happy with my Jag. I love performance cars and have no loyalty to brand. My money goes to where I can get the best bang for my buck.

If the F-type is the best Jaguar can do to built a sports car I think they will be in trouble unless they start designing state-of-the-art cars. It has been said by Jaguar the f-type will grow and be developed with each iteration. I'm not sure if the F-type in it's current form can be built with state-of-the-art performance without a total redesign.

I see Jaguar becoming the Harley Davidson of bikes in the car world. I don't think Jaguar can build a state-of-the-art sports car with their current platform and technology.

Two reasons why I bought another XK (GT):

1. All of the above. I was looking forward to the F-type and expected more from a totally new car design.
2. I decided I needed another GT with some luggage space. I missed my 175 I sold and the new XKR was a great deal with all the performance options included.

Last edited by DGL; 08-18-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
It would be nice to see Jaguar produce a state-of-art new XK but that is highly unlikely given the newly designed F-type being designed with less than current technology--a very disappointing car in my opinion for a completely new car, and lost opportunity for Jaguar.
I think that you're seeing a reflection of the economic times - the F-Type was designed under what I would assume were some firm financial constraints. Not to mention the fallout from the Ford de-merger, which I had some peripheral involvement with and I know it was a significant distraction. Plus, we're currently in a strange limbo between the 'old school' pure IC powerplants and the new performance hybrids. The CX-16 was a hybrid, but I assume that JLR decided it was not yet ready for primetime, hence the purely conventional F-Type.

I expect to see an F-Type upgrade, or an F-Type option, with a hybrid powerplant in a couple of years. We could eventually end up with an electric motor on each wheel and a hybrid or hydrogen range-extension system, though that might be the next generation.

My point is: don't look on the current F-Type as the final word on a Jaguar sportscar. I think it may be an interim model, waiting for better/lighter hybrid technology.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Jaguar set out to build a high performance 2 door, 2 seater sports car that was a lot of fun to drive. They have definitely succeeded with that, and evoking the legend of the XKE is fitting in that regard. They've made it stylish in it's category, fast with powerful engines, uber luxurious, and exclusive with pricing...just like Jaguar does with all its current models. You can't say it isn't exactly what one would expect from Jaguar.

It doesn't embrace all of the latest technology, or adhere to the lightweight design principle of the more traditional and hardcore performance enthusiast, and what it gives up in cornering ability and handling it makes up for in thrilling acceleration. That will be perfectly acceptable for many sports car buyers, including track enthusiasts, and involves the exact same trade-offs as performance enthusiasts who buy the XKR. Which appeals to you most will be dictated by what you're looking for in the car when not bombing around the track. Those who want dedicated track/race car performance won't be looking at Jaguars at all.

The new Viper and Corvette models are feather weights in comparison, and yet many of their strongest supporters are disappointed that the new models haven't lost more weight, despite their staggeringly high levels of cornering grip. You just can't please everyone, but we are fortunate to have such a wide range of high performance sports and GT's to choose from.

Bruce

ralphwg (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Jaguar set out to build a high performance 2 door, 2 seater sports car that was a lot of fun to drive. They have definitely succeeded with that, and evoking the legend of the XKE is fitting in that regard. They've made it stylish in it's category, fast with powerful engines, uber luxurious, and exclusive with pricing...just like Jaguar does with all its current models. You can't say it isn't exactly what one would expect from Jaguar.

It doesn't embrace all of the latest technology, or adhere to the lightweight design principle of the more traditional and hardcore performance enthusiast, and what it gives up in cornering ability and handling it makes up for in thrilling acceleration. That will be perfectly acceptable for many sports car buyers, including track enthusiasts, and involves the exact same trade-offs as performance enthusiasts who buy the XKR. Which appeals to you most will be dictated by what you're looking for in the car when not bombing around the track. Those who want dedicated track/race car performance won't be looking at Jaguars at all.

The new Viper and Corvette models are feather weights in comparison, and yet many of their strongest supporters are disappointed that the new models haven't lost more weight, despite their staggeringly high levels of cornering grip. You just can't please everyone, but we are fortunate to have such a wide range of high performance sports and GT's to choose from.

Bruce
Bruce

Couldn't agree more with your post. Yes, the F-type is a terrifically fun car, stylish enough, low tech compared to some others and very heavy. I certainly would not have even considered it, say, 10+ years ago when all out performance and weight were my primary demands from a sports car. At the present stage of my life (Yeah, I got older and lost much interest in racing and driving like a maniac on public roads) the F-type would actually appeal to me but, still fighting the residual resentments regarding the weight. Like I said repeatedly, the F-type with its 4000 lbs is simply very sloppy engineering. Yes, I also resent the 100 lbs increase in the weight of the new Vette, even if it is @3444 total.

As I posted before, if I had to choose my next purchase today, I would struggle not to include the F-type even with its heft. It even has a ride that is as good or better(?) than my old XK). I love the looks of the XKR but, I struggle there because of the lack of 8sp transmission. Jaguar truly should not have skimped and included that transmission with its beautiful racing and MPG ratios for the 2013s. But, I really do not have to worry because I got two basically new Jaguars, one with 9K miles, the other with 2K miles and am in no position to add to that stable of cars for a good two more years. I am locked into a lease on my problem XJL which will make me work harder on the solution, rather than just getting rid of it. I guess, despite me finding those negatives, the same factors, beautiful exterior/interior designs and exclusivity, will keep my interest high in Jaguars.

I also agree with DGL that I am also not loyal to any brand. If some maker produces a gorgeous car that has more of what I am looking for, that is where my $$$ will go.

Albert

Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

There’s Nothing New Under The Sun – Test Drive Reviews of Porsche’s Entry-Level Sports Cars | The Truth About Cars

It is a common tenet among many serious Porsche owners to maintain without irony that whatever car they happen to own at the time is the absolute pinnacle of the company’s capabilities, with the ensuing model years representing a fundamental sea change in Porsche’s values, fueled by cynical profit pursuit and the triumph of marketing and accounting over engineering, culminating in inexorable decline.
Ha ha ha! They sound like Jaguar owners! Maybe we're not quite that bad

axr6 (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
One of the best Porsche reviews I have ever read. This young man describes his experiences in depth with a great deal of maturity and accuracy. No, I do not think that Jaguar owners, as a whole, even approach Porsche owners in fanaticism regarding the brands. It was downright funny when Porsche tried to shut down the production of the old, outdated 911, oh, something like 20-25 years ago; the screams and threats from the American 911 owners were so loud that the factory backed off. So since, they have done a masterful job at updating the 911 but, it is still the same aged design that, many purists would say (including me), should never had been done in the first place (rear engine).

The Cayman and Boxter are no doubt superior and modern designs. I'm personally still not taken by the front-end design-looks of these new cars but, by all accounts they are true sports cars; light weight with very good chassis. What they really need is to step-out from the shadows of that mythical 911, be given the same powerful engine choices and prove their absolute superiority to the 911. Of course, the 911 faithful will scream bloody murder, just as the article describes. But, can those screams of the faithful and tradition-loving prevent the ultimate progress at Porsche indefinitely?

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would argue that 95+% of 911, Type F, and XK owners will never test the limits of their cars (excluding acceleration)....50-75% (maybe far less for some) of the cars maximum capabilities. Testing the limits really requires a track; and there are some who go there. But, why should the rest of us be so obsessed with which car is the better sports car? Surely they drive differently, but looks and image are what make the decision for most of us. Personally, the XKR's beauty (and capabilities) capture my yearning.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

A panic stop, emergency lane change, accident avoidance, wet/snowy/icy/slippery road conditions, curve in the road taken too quickly, too much throttle and the rear steps out, are all examples of how daily driving probes the limits, and can easily exceed them. Just about every driving aspect I run into on the race track is tested in daily winter driving in Canada and northern States. I did a race school in the dead of winter on snow and ice to become more sensitive to the impact of each driving input in maintaining car control while driving on the limits of tire adhesion.

A car that handles better is a safer and more enjoyable car where ever and however you use it.

Bruce

Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamer22
I would argue that 95+% of 911, Type F, and XK owners will never test the limits of their cars (excluding acceleration)....50-75% (maybe far less for some) of the cars maximum capabilities. Testing the limits really requires a track; and there are some who go there. But, why should the rest of us be so obsessed with which car is the better sports car? Surely they drive differently, but looks and image are what make the decision for most of us. Personally, the XKR's beauty (and capabilities) capture my yearning.
Totally agree with the above comments. Drove open wheel formula race cars for many years competitively and on many open tracks days, and plenty of test days.

Owning both the XKR Portfolio Edition ragtop and the new 2014 Porsche Cayman, I want to enjoy these cars and the drive/ride is decisively different from each other. One thing about racing, it made me a much safer driver on the roads.

Yes, some will take their cars to the track to test to them to the limit and levels of stress. I am happy to get into the GT Jaguar XKR or Porsche Cayman for when my driving desires change. It's great to own both, and I really don't care about the speed on regular US open roads anymore. I can have as much fun as taking either to a track environment.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

axr6, is the new Corvette actually heavier? I thought I read that it was actually 100 lbs lighter than the C6.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
axr6, is the new Corvette actually heavier? I thought I read that it was actually 100 lbs lighter than the C6.
From the first sets of documented reviews it appears that the new Vette has gained 100 lbs, despite going to an aluminum chassis construction and even more carbon fiber body panels for 2014. Many Vette people were hoping that the aluminum would translate to an actual weight reduction but, that does not appear to be the case. I read in the linked article below that the new chassis saves 99 lbs but, that means that 200 lbs were added. They added an 18 lbs steel torque tube to eliminate vibrations resulting from their new fuel saving 4 cylinder operations. Nice, but as far as I am concerned, leave the 4 cyl. option out of a performance car and save the weight. Looking at the chassis pictures from the linked article, GM is doing and admirable job of building an exquisite-looking suspension/chassis.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 First Test - Motor Trend

Albert

amcdonal86 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamer22
Well said.
Range Rover is still king of all off-roaders, how many of those cars ever get mud on their tires? Less than 1%, that's for sure. Yet, demand is so high, Land Rover can't keep up.

Quick Reply: XK Vs.F-Type target market.