XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Vs.F-Type target market.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type

I recently traded in an 06 XKR for a 2010 XK. I had a long talk with the dealership manager who told me that the XK line would end in 2015-2016 and may or may not be brought back at a later date. In the interim one can only hope that the new F-Type can be redesigned to look a little less like a Miata. I'm just saying--

Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I had a Miata. The F-Type looks nothing like a Miata...

Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie1
I recently traded in an 06 XKR for a 2010 XK. I had a long talk with the dealership manager who told me that the XK line would end in 2015-2016 and may or may not be brought back at a later date. In the interim one can only hope that the new F-Type can be redesigned to look a little less like a Miata. I'm just saying--
It will be brought back. Jag needs a 2+2 and the XK nameplate.

The following users liked this post:
hk9176251 (09-02-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Went to order an XKR and was informed by the dealer that has been discontinued. This coincidentally occurred at the same time the Type F coupe was introduced. The XKR appeals more to me than the sportier Type F.

As for the "row your own" enthusiasts, buy your car now. Sticks will soon be obsolete due to emission regulations. And high performance cars will probably be turbos to meet fuel economy regulations. High output naturally aspirated and supercharged engines will probably be gone. The new 2014 Corvette is available with a stick, but when higher output engines are added the entire Corvette line will probably go twin clutch. Turbos can put down great acceleration numbers, but they just don't have good throttle response (that reads turbo lag). The 2014 Corvette with a stick has received universally stellar reviews. These may be "the good old days" for manual lovers. The Type F and Corvette are both sports cars. Now that Jag only offers the Type F, I'm considering a trip to a Chevy dealer.....and keep my XFR.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (11-24-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamer22
Went to order an XKR and was informed by the dealer that has been discontinued. This coincidentally occurred at the same time the Type F coupe was introduced. The XKR appeals more to me than the sportier Type F.

OMG!! They cancelled the XK and XKR already?!?!?! Can anyone else confirm this? no 2015 XK?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I thought there would be one more front end change to the XK to make it look like the front of the F-type to stay updated with the brand and maybe the 8 speed ZF. Holy sh?t... so many people like the XK body style with the small back seats.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I was looking at the new Jaguar 2014 F-Type very closely, completed a build sheet well before the cars hit the dealers last month. Once I got the call from the local dealer that 2 F-Types had arrived at the dealer, I immediately drove down to the Jaguar dealer. Prices for the 2 different F-types available were $103,000 to $105,000. The car is small, fancy yes, but very small cockpit.

The dealers will NOT budge from the sticker prices and dealer invoice is about $8-9,000 under MSRP. The car is a hot car right now, so almost all dealers I contacted are at MSRP, NO DISCOUNTS.

In the dealer showroom sat a 2013 XKR convertible. I loved it. Nice size, fits almost any size driver in the cabin, and pure luxury, performance and speed. It was awesome. Priced at $108,000, dealer invoice was $98,500 and best they would come down was to $103,000.

Then I completed lots of research, I found that the Jaguar brand depreciates at a very rapid rate for the first 3-4 years. Thus, once paying $103,000 for the 2013 XKR w/ Portfolio Luxury package, within 12 months it is only worth $80,000.

You can find many Jags on eBay or Autotrader a great prices. It does not pay to buy these cars as new, fresh out of the dealer showroom. Edmunds.com does a great job in estimating the cost to own.

If you're looking to buy an XK or Supercharged XKR, I suggest to complete lots of research and watch eBay or Autotrader.com as most cars are sold through Jag dealers and there are some private sellers. Look at KBB.com, NADA.com and Edmunds.com to get trade-in values, private party values and retail values. If you take your time, you can find low mileage Jaguar XK's and XKR's at or near trade in prices.

I recently purchased a $105,000 MSRP 2009 Jaguar XKR "Portfolio Edition" (only 200 imported into the USA) in showroom condition, with 13,500 miles from a dealership in Florida for $46,400. It is practically brand new. The style of the Jaguar XK and XKR has had little change from 2009 to 2013. Engine size went up slightly from 4.2L to 5.0L, interior is virtually the same. I see that one can find a very nice $100,000 + Jaguar XK or $105,000 XKR 2010 to 2011 for under $60,000 to $65,000 with ultra low miles.

I see no reason to buy new when these Jags depreciate at such an enormous rate. First year off the lot expect a decline of about $20,000-$23,000 respectively.

While the F-Type looks great, compares to the Aston Martin in design, style, and performance, I would imagine that in mid 2014, you will be able to find a used 2014 F-Type with low mileage in the mid $70,000 for the S-Model, the base V6 probably around $55,000 to $60,000. This model will not hold the value.

So if your willing to take a beating on depreciation to own new F-Type of XK-XKR, you should have some deep pockets to throw money away.

The best values are Jaguars that are 3+ years old with low miles at a 40%-50% reduction on price from the original MSRP. Do your research, take time, check out the car history, and I guarantee you can find a beautiful Jaguar with low mileage without spending the high price.

I am so well pleased with my recent purchase and am new to the Jaguar brand. The XKR is one awesome car and with only 13,500 miles, I expect it to last a long time, and most of the depreciation is already out of the car. Don't make the purchase of a new F-Type or XK or XKR convertible as an impulse purchase. Settle back and research. I looked at over several 100 Jags for sale (XK and XKR Convertible) before finding my new beauty. Sellers are always willing to deal.

Happy hunting for a XK or XKR. You will not be sorry that you made the leap into this brand. Pure luxury, pure performance.

A link to the photos of my XKR are in the signature.......sit back relax and enjoy the ride.

Solid points. I think buying new is a sucker play for the most part. I just picked up a one owner 2010 XK with under 16,500 miles and paid half what it went for new. And quite frankly, it still looks new.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Solid points. I think buying new is a sucker play for the most part. I just picked up a one owner 2010 XK with under 16,500 miles and paid half what it went for new. And quite frankly, it still looks new.
That sounds like a very, very good deal.

Bruce

Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I could see Jaguar going a model year with no XK replacement to give the F-Type more penetration in the market all while they build towards the next XK release.

Stagger the releases. An all aluminum XF is around the corner as is their 3 series fighter (forget the name), the SUV... Is it prudent to also drop an XK into the mix right away? I think there's some breathing room with F-Type to satisfy.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I could see Jaguar going a model year with no XK replacement to give the F-Type more penetration in the market all while they build towards the next XK release.

Stagger the releases. An all aluminum XF is around the corner as is their 3 series fighter (forget the name), the SUV... Is it prudent to also drop an XK into the mix right away? I think there's some breathing room with F-Type to satisfy.
Makes sense - It also allows the market to buy up used XK's that are just sitting there!!! That helps all of our values really. The next XK will not LOOK like the current most likely... therefor its a one of a kind beauty!!

Loth

Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think that Jag is aiming for the uber-luxury 2-door coupe market like the MB CL and BMW 6 with the next XK. That needs a usable back seat, not just something for children, short adults, or extra grocery bags. I believe the current XK we know and love has run its course.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I bought my XKR when the vert F-type came out. I waited for the F-type vert so I could test drive it before purchasing my next Jaguar after selling my 2011 XKR 175. I found the F-type so small for my immediate needs lacking any storage space. I immediately started my search for either a 2012 XKR-S or a 2013 XKR with the dynamic pack and performance exhaust. I mainly use the back seat of the XKR for paper files and small items. I don't want to be opening the hatch or trunk of my car to access these small items.

Since, I've bought a Mercedes 2013 SLK 55 AMG because the price was right. I may trade it in for an F-type vert if I find it too girly. The F-type is a good second car. That being said, I could not go about my daily business in the F-type exclusively. The XKR, offers me the best of both worlds, sport performance and convenience for daily use. IMO the best all around GT made. Sad to hear it may come to an end.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Old thread but I still have not found any real numbers to compare the F-Type V8S to an XKR. The only numbers I found were the lap times around the Autozeitung test track:

XKR: 1:43:20

F Type: 1:43:60

XKR-S: 1:44:20

Then for Laguna Seca:

F Type: 1:40:81
XKR-S: 1:42:9

at least both Laguna Seca times were driven by Randy Pobst. The Autozeitung test is most likely various auto journalists - so skill may wary widely.

I hope somebody pits the F type 8S against the XKR soon on the same track, the same day with the same driver.

In this article, Jaguar claims a 7:39 for the Nordschleife in the F type R which the XKR-S has done several times in 7:51. However their XJ220 did it in only 7:46 respectively.

Also from this article: "Some 75 percent of F-Type Convertible buyers are new to the Jaguar brand, say insiders, and with convertibles accounting for just 43 percent of the sports car segment, they expect the Coupe to grow that number."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2rKodle2W

So with that Jaguar may just have achieved what they were out to do - bring new customers in.

Last edited by Schwabe; 01-24-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Convertibles accounting for just 43%? 43% sounds like a hell of a lot to me. I didn't think it was that high!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I can believe the F-Type R is faster around the Nordschleife - it has the same power, but is lighter and smaller. It's a twisty road circuit and 'chuckability' is important.

I would similarly expect the V8S to be quicker than an XKR - the best 'Ring time I found for that was 8m25.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I agree with that, the XKR-S (without having driven them in comnparison) should do better on the very bouncy top speed straight aways.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I am living this discussion. I'll chime in. I just traded my XKR in for a new F-Type V6. I was afraid I would miss the XKR power but I don't since the quickness is still there. True the throw you back into the seat torque is less in the F it still feels just as quick. the F also handles much better even at the base model. More like a Z4. I always felt the XKR wasted a lot of its power. The XKR also just drank the gas even when driving it like a saint. So I don't regret the trade in at all. Both are great cars but the F-Type just feels more like a sports car and the XKR is more of a GT.

The following 2 users liked this post by tlrominger:
mosesbotbol (01-24-2014), Ngarara (01-24-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Great topic!

The XK has a weak front end. I think it would look much better with an F Type similar front end. That said, I still think the XK is a more special looking car than the F Type. Although the F Type Coupe R is looking pretty bad ***! Eventually I will get the F Type Coupe R but I will keep my XKRS because I love everything about it (except the wing which I swapped out for the 175 spoiler). I just can't bring myself to trade it in for a car that I don't think looks as special. The F Type looks good, really good! But there is something about it that reminds me of a Miata. I know I'll get a lot of flak for that comment! I guess what it comes down to is that I am a GT kind of guy rather than a true spots car guy. I guess that's why I have never owned a Porsche. I like a bigger sports car - a GT car. Now Jag offers both. Good job Jag!

I added a new toy to the stable. This is her sister ship. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I guess the F Type will have to wait. Cheers!

Attached Images  

Last edited by drc; 01-25-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Makes sense - It also allows the market to buy up used XK's that are just sitting there!!! That helps all of our values really. The next XK will not LOOK like the current most likely... therefor its a one of a kind beauty!!

Loth
Agreed!

Old 06-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I think buying new is a sucker play for the most part. I just picked up a one owner 2010 XK with under 16,500 miles and paid half what it went for new. And quite frankly, it still looks new.
Just to bring this thread current, I am seeing low-mileage 2010 XKR's (my next car!) at $35k now.
For fun comparisons, a 2010 RR Ghost can now be had for $130k (original MSRP $245k), and a 2014 F-Type Base for $45k.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Quick Reply: XK Vs.F-Type target market.