XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Vs.F-Type target market.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dlcole76054
Your logic is spot on...Most new Jag XKs or XKRs are lease vehicles where the driver is simply paying the first 3 years depreciation.

I bought a 2010 XK Convertible, Portfolio edition..had a bit over 25,000 miles and was Certified Pre Owned (CPO) with warranty to 100,000 mile or 6 years from original delivery date. I had to go to Detroit to find it at a decent price as Florida and California pricing was stupid. I've put about 4500 miles on it since March and I love the car. I paid $50k for the car and am very happy with it and the price I got. I found mine on Auto Trader after looking about 3-4 months and contacting several dealers to see if they would negotiate. Detroit was the only place that would talk...I guess they don't see many convertibles, in Michigan, in the middle of winter..LOL. They had sat on the car since September, 2012.

I bought a Jaguar because it was unique and you just do not see them very often (especially the XKs and XKRs). I looked at Lexus, BMW, MB, and Porsche. There were just too many of these cars on the road for what I wanted. I can drive for a couple of weeks and not see another XK/R in my part of Dallas-Fort Worth..I love it.

Happy driving.
All true. I bought my 2010 XKR off a one owner 3 year lease from a dealer. 29,282 on the clock, CPO with another year or so on the warranty. Immaculate. Could not find a flaw. Maybe one year left on pads and tires. $52,450. Traded in my 2004 XJR on it, traded in the CPO warranty, and added a dealer-offered "Platinum" five year coverage policy so I could extend the warranty period significantly--same thing I had done with the XJR.

For a car that had stickered at $101,000 3 years prior, that is pretty decent, so long as the car is good. And it's good!

I have had it for only a few weeks, and still haven't seen another one on the road, in a metropolitan area that has over 2 million people. Heck, there isn't even another one at the dealership!

Don't really subscribe to the "too much power" thing, though. Half the fun is learning how to harness it, and there is true pleasure in knowing you have it with a twitch of a foot.

I drive it almost exclusively with dynamic mode on, in Sport, with the paddles. Very nice box. One thing I've noticed in doing this, though, is that it seems that 1st gear is essentially unnecessary for city driving. It's relatively short, and 2nd is relatively long. The tranny defaults on its own to 2nd as you slow to a stop. Since this is unusual for me, I have generally been downshifting at stops to 1st, but get-offs, and upshifts to 2nd, seem less smooth when I do this....

Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
I'm sure my opinion is the opposite of most, but to me, there is nothing that separates the F-type visually from all of the other cute little sports car verts out there. At first glance, they all pretty much look the same to me. However, when I look closer at the F-type, I really dislike everything about the back end. It looks Japanese cheap to me.

In contrast, the XK/XKR is a timeless piece of visual art.
Took my car in for service yesterday and saw an F type for the first time... I have to say I don't really disagree. I'm sort of surprised, I thought I'd see it in person and see what everybody was talking about, but that didn't really happen.

Which isn't to say at all that its a bad looking car, because it most definitely isn't (I like the back of the V8 with the quad exhausts better than the dual center exhaust on the V6). My impression was that it is good looking but not spectacular. The noise is crazily good and I'm certain will move cars all on its own. I don't see the E type "heritage" at all though... that car is long, low, and flowing. The thin taillights and wheel arch bumps don't really save the F type from looking pretty square, especially in profile. If I wanted to get flamed, I'd say there is a suspicious amount of MR2 Spyder in there from the side view, but I don't, so I won't.

So I don't know its definitely a cool car, and I'm sure a lot of people will buy it and love it. The question about target market is a valid one though. If I was looking for a sports car that I could drive regularly... the Cayman / Boxster / 911 line is pretty stiff competition across the whole range of F types. I'm not a big Porsche fan but those cars say "Hi, I'm a sports car" a lot more than the F type IMO. They had a few Caymans / 911s on the lot near the F type and the F type looks massive in comparison. On the other hand if I wanted something that was more of a GT that wouldn't beat me up over bumps etc., one would have to be REALLY compelled by the looks of the F type to not just buy an XKR.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

My guess is that many younger buyers will find the new styling of the F-Type very much to their liking. They may even regard the XK/Aston type styling a bit dated...what do those young whipper snappers know about styling anyways?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Yesterday I went to Tampa Jaguar to look at the F-Type. Currently own a 2011 XJL and have wanted a convertible for some time as a second car. As we walked over to a black F-Type next to it was a 2012 XKR convertible that was there on consignment. There was no comparison as to the elegance and sportiness compared to the F-Type. It was in excellent condition with only 8,900 miles. The owner is asking $79,000 which I guess is his pay off. The list price we found in the glove compartment was $105,000. But he added the black rims and hankook tires. I'm going to offer $72,500 or maybe a tad higher. What do you all think? I tried to attach the photo of car and hopefully it work.

Attached Thumbnails XK Vs.F-Type target market.-20130629_110535.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jffcurt:
Lothar52 (07-02-2013), SkipM (07-29-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Great looking car. I assume you have checked all of the 'books" like KBB, N.A.D.A, etc. to see the retail/private sale value. The "Black Book" is usually what the dealers use for the trade-in value, and it will give the lowest price of all the reference guides. Also in a couple of months the XKR will be a year older so that is another sizeable drop in value. You may have done all of this so your figure of $72,500 may be good. That said I'm the kind that doesn't always get the rock-bottom price because I'm willing to pay somewhat of a premium for an "outstanding" car in like new condition, and they are hard to find. That is why I buy new most of the time a suffer Jaguar's high depreciation the first 1-3 years. I keep mine quite a while to make-up for it. If I was looking now, your XKR with low mileage, in a great color with the remaining 4 year factory warranty with included maintenance would be very tempting. I just remembered it was on consignment at the franchised Jaguar dealer so it is not a "Jaguar certified" used car. You are purchasing it from an individual right? I assume this is a "private sale" and the value of the car should not be as much as if your were buying it retail from Tampa Jaguar. I say go for it if you get the right price. The more I see the F-Type (not that it isn't a great car) the more I like the XK series. It just looks more expensive to me (and like some others here the F-type rear-end does nothing for me), but I favor GT cars over pure sports cars anyway.

Last edited by v8cat; 06-30-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
My guess is that many younger buyers will find the new styling of the F-Type very much to their liking. They may even regard the XK/Aston type styling a bit dated...what do those young whipper snappers know about styling anyways?
Not sure what you consider a young whipper snapper, but I might resemble that remark.

A few months ago on a factory tour I got to see some F-types along side the XKs and, personally, I prefer the slightly larger GT lines of the XK.

I'm sure the F-type is a brilliant sports car and a great piece of engineering but to me the styling is pretty mainstream and, honestly, a little bit forgettable.

An XK or an Aston, now that's classy, elegant and powerful.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Yesterday I went to Tampa Jaguar to look at the F-Type. Currently own a 2011 XJL and have wanted a convertible for some time as a second car. As we walked over to a black F-Type next to it was a 2012 XKR convertible that was there on consignment. There was no comparison as to the elegance and sportiness compared to the F-Type. It was in excellent condition with only 8,900 miles. The owner is asking $79,000 which I guess is his pay off. The list price we found in the glove compartment was $105,000. But he added the black rims and hankook tires. I'm going to offer $72,500 or maybe a tad higher. What do you all think? I tried to attach the photo of car and hopefully it work.
Do you mean visual elegance and sportiness or in actual ride terms? That's a beautiful car you have pictured. I think you'll end up with it! Good for you!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

It will be interesting to see how the value of the used XK/XKR/R-S holds up over time. The XKE did very well, appreciating to several times its original value for pristine examples. I don't think it was ever really the performance of the car that caused that, although the '61-67 Series 1 examples were standouts, but rather the lines and image of the car. It was sleek, fast, sporty, unique, exclusive, and its shape and lines were pure art. The XJ-S that replaced it went in a different direction and helped make the XKE an instant collectible. I'm not sure the same won't happen with the XK series, with the market almost always particularly favoring the higher performance models.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Jffcurt:

Perhaps this might help in pricing the 2012 Jag XKR at the Tampa dealer. From NADA.com.....you can compare to KBB.com and Edmunds.com for more pricing.

Rough Trade-Avg In Trade-In Clean Trade-In Clean Retail
Base Price $67,525 $71,225 $74,325 $80,175
Mileage (8,900) $4,350 $4,350 $4,350 $4,350
Total Base Price $71,875 $75,575 $78,675 $84,525
Options: (edit options)
Bowers & Wilkins Stereo Std. Std. Std. Std.
Price with Options $71,875 $75,575 $78,675 $84,525

Looks like an offer of $74,000 to $76,000 would be very reasonable. You can find some nice cars on eBay in your price range. The extra for the low mileage can probably be kicked out as many of these Jaguars have low mileage anyway. Actually 8900 miles for a 2012 is not that low.

Hope you get it. I have the 2009 XKR Conv "Portfolio Edition", and love the car. Bought it with 13,500 miles on May 24th, 2013 in showroom condition. If you don't get this car in Tampa continue your search, There are some good buys out there.

The following users liked this post:
Jffcurt (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks richzak you were right on with the offer price. Got it for $75,000. Picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it in my garage with the XJL tank next to it!! If I can't open the door to get in I can always leave the top down and try to hop in!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Thanks richzak you were right on with the offer price. Got it for $75,000. Picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it in my garage with the XJL tank next to it!! If I can't open the door to get in I can always leave the top down and try to hop in!
Jffcurt:

So glad to help a little. Sounds like a very nice car, and a reasonable price.
I find that the best deals on these Jag XK & XKR's are the ones slightly used and some have depreciation in them.

You will love the XKR. Post a few photos if can, we would all love to see it.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I can't see that the F-Type is anything more than a redesigned 5L XK without the fake back seat. Jaguar plays the E-Type card as it should help sell more cars, but the E-Type also came as a 2+2, and the F-Type is also refered to as a GT. Labels like "sports car" and "GT" aren't particularly helpful in distinguishing their character, and I can't think of any definition of "sports car" that would include the F-Type and exclude the XK.

So it really comes down to which model appeals to you most, regardless of how Jaguar marketing tries to spin it. Buy the one that appeals to your senses and fits your needs best. Either can be driven as a sports car when desired, or as a luxurious GT...you get to choose!
Actually the F-Type was heavily influenced by the C-Type (go look at photos of the old racers) and the E-Type's influence is understated but there - look at the tail lights. Jaguar (in all its press) refers to the F-Type as a sports car and the XK as a GT - which is accurate. I own both.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
Actually the F-Type was heavily influenced by the C-Type (go look at photos of the old racers) and the E-Type's influence is understated but there - look at the tail lights. Jaguar (in all its press) refers to the F-Type as a sports car and the XK as a GT - which is accurate. I own both.
Could you expand on the differences between the two?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I second that request. It would be great to hear some first hand insight. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

XKE back seat photo for those who haven't seen one. Sort of exactly like the XKR'S.
XKE Data - Gallery Detail - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register

The other day my wife and I were going to drive into town (40 min) to look at patio furniture and building supplies at various stores, and do a little food shopping. She figured we'd take the van, but it was such a gorgeous day I said let's take the XKR, and if we found furniture I'd go back another day to pick it up. So we drove in with the top down and had a great day going from place to place, including dinner. The last stop was food shopping at Costco, and $300 later we drove home with the trunk and back seat completely full of groceries...and the top down. What a great day with the car, and that back seat is so often makes that possible.

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-06-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

BTW it is a myth that the tranny in the XK defaults to 2nd gear for starts.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Just google Jagua C-Type and E-Type. Look at photos. The C-Type belt line more closely matches the F-Type and the rear end of the E-Type more closely matches the rear end of the F-Type, especially the tail lights.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
Just google Jaguar C-Type and E-Type...
I think what they were asking was: as an owner of both an F-type and an XKR, could you contrast/compare based on your own experience? Very few of us are in that fortunate position, and it would be interesting to know what they are like on a daily basis.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
BTW it is a myth that the tranny in the XK defaults to 2nd gear for starts.
If you are in sport mode (drive selector on S) and are using the paddles, the transmission will only go into 2nd gear (not 1st) when coming to a stop and you are not actively downshifting. I also find 1st gear useless in manual mode (tires spin, rpm's build too quickly, transmission jerky when going into 2nd)

Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I think what they were asking was: as an owner of both an F-type and an XKR, could you contrast/compare based on your own experience? Very few of us are in that fortunate position, and it would be interesting to know what they are like on a daily basis.
Correct. I can see the visual difference quite easily.

Quick Reply: XK Vs.F-Type target market.