XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Vs.F-Type target market.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Sports car and GT...

Seems to me the line between the two (these days) is very thin...

Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I consider my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition as a true "sports car". Sports cars don't only have to be 2 seaters.......Here's some text from a recent sports car review.

"The Jaguar XK runs against tough company. The new Porsche 911 elicits complaints centering around it's being too good. But with a few options, the 911 gets pricey. The 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class rivals Jaguar in technology and good looks, but its roadster-style seating leaves backseat occupants out in the cold. The XK or XKR are closely matched in price and performance by the BMW 6 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe.

The Jaguar XKR-S competes against supercars such as the Audi R8, Mercedes SL65 AMG, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, and Nissan GT-R. The XKR-S features an exterior design focused on aerodynamics, with stability at speed and reduced drag of primary importance. Production of the XKR-S for 2013 will be limited to 100 coupes and 100 convertibles, according to Jaguar North America.

The Jaguar XK excels as a luxury GT. The brilliant, British 5.0-liter V8 in all its variants, along with the aluminum chassis and sophisticated suspension make for a sensational driving experience. Elegant exterior design and luxe interior pay homage to Jaguar's past while bringing it into the future. Pull up to a five-star resort in one of these and you will be given the full VIP treatment. This is still one of the most tasteful and able cars in its class."

Also, I have been informed for auto insurance policies, the following definition holds true....."A key point here is TWO DOORS. If a car has two doors its almost always classified as a sports car no matter what."

What more can I say?

Last edited by richzak; 07-07-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Sports car and GT...

Seems to me the line between the two (these days) is very thin...
Exactly. Years ago a "sports car" was typically quite small, light weight, low, nimble, had pretty basic controls with very minimal creature comforts, manual tranny, 2 seaters and a convertible roof. They were youthful and all about fun in the sun and zipping around town and venturing out into the countryside. Many didn't have much power or refinement. Good examples from England would be the Austin Healy "Bug Eye" Sprite, MGB and Midget, and Triumph TR4, Spitfire and TR6.

GT's were generally a little more refined, or more elegant, or more powerful and comfortable for longer distance motoring, with more comfort and convenience features, all of which could make them a bit larger or heavier, less nimble. Some were still convertibles while others added a roof overhead, and/or a tiny back seat. The back seat was always too small to fit people, but were good for parcels, or a small child, and gave the feeling of more space overall. Examples would be the MGB-GT, and Triumph GT1500Mark4. All were considered sports cars, with GT referring to a sports car with some of the additional GT attributes. I can't think of any mainstream sports cars built today that aren't loaded with just about every GT comfort, convenience and luxury feature known to man, and even the manual transmission is going the way of the dinasaur. They're all GT sports cars...but call them whatever you like.

I had both a '70 XKE convertible and a '73 MGB-GT for many years. The XKE was quite different from the sports cars I mentioned because it was larger, more powerful/refined/smooth/comfortable and one of the most elegant 2 doors available from 1961-1975. It wasn't as nimble as some, not particularly tossable, but it effortlessly devoured long expanses of tarmac at high speed without car or driver breaking a sweat. In comparison to other sports cars, it leaned well towards GT. In 1966, IIRC, Jaguar added a 2+2 coupe to its vert and coupe offering by adding a few inches to the wheel base, and offered air conditioning and automatic transmission as options. By 1971 they only used the longer wheel base, and by 1975 I think you could maybe only get it with A/C and auto in North America. So where it started off as a pretty GTish sports car, it certainly also became a bonafide GT soon after, although continuing to refer to it as a sports car wouldn't likely start an argument.

The XJS was a huge departure from all previous XK's, including the XKE, and it wasn't until the XK8 that you could see the connection in name and spirit to the XKE, and particularly to the higher performance XKR's, and all have continuously evolved into the current models. You can see some of the original XKE body shape and features in every angle of the modern XK Series, including the '61-68 tail light shape forming the clear lense area in the center of the XK tail light, and the larger '69-75 lense surrounding it. Jaguar finally perfected the XKE performance connection for me when they brought back the limited slip differential in 2010. I had to have an XK again, and it took me less than 24 hours to confirm and enjoy its sports car heritage on the race track.

My favorite times driving the XKE were on balmy summer days with the roof down and the wind at my back. It turned heads everywhere it went, and on the open road you just never wanted the drive to end. It made you feel very special, and so many great memories involve the car. The XKE was the most memorable and desirable car I've ever owned, and I'm glad to be able to experience both the look and feel of that all over again with the XKR. The XKE straddled the definitions of Sports Car and GT in its day, making compromises to both, and that continues with its latest XK successors and the F-Type.

I think the target market for each car may not be that different at all, and the decision of which one to buy will become easier once the current XK Series is replaced with the next. Until then they both share a wonderful balance of performance and luxury that appeals to so many of us

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Exactly. Years ago a "sports car" was typically quite small, light weight, low, nimble, had pretty basic controls with very minimal creature comforts, manual tranny, 2 seaters and a convertible roof. They were youthful and all about fun in the sun and zipping around town and venturing out into the countryside. Many didn't have much power or refinement. Good examples from England would be the Austin Healy "Bug Eye" Sprite, MGB and Midget, and Triumph TR4, Spitfire and TR6.

GT's were generally a little more refined, or more elegant, or more powerful and comfortable for longer distance motoring, with more comfort and convenience features, all of which could make them a bit larger or heavier, less nimble. Some were still convertibles while others added a roof overhead, and/or a tiny back seat. The back seat was always too small to fit people, but were good for parcels, or a small child, and gave the feeling of more space overall. Examples would be the MGB-GT, and Triumph GT1500Mark4. All were considered sports cars, with GT referring to a sports car with some of the additional GT attributes. I can't think of any mainstream sports cars built today that aren't loaded with just about every GT comfort, convenience and luxury feature known to man, and even the manual transmission is going the way of the dinasaur. They're all GT sports cars...but call them whatever you like.

I had both a '70 XKE convertible and a '73 MGB-GT for many years. The XKE was quite different from the sports cars I mentioned because it was larger, more powerful/refined/smooth/comfortable and one of the most elegant 2 doors available from 1961-1975. It wasn't as nimble as some, not particularly tossable, but it effortlessly devoured long expanses of tarmac at high speed without car or driver breaking a sweat. In comparison to other sports cars, it leaned well towards GT. In 1966, IIRC, Jaguar added a 2+2 coupe to its vert and coupe offering by adding a few inches to the wheel base, and offered air conditioning and automatic transmission as options. By 1971 they only used the longer wheel base, and by 1975 I think you could maybe only get it with A/C and auto in North America. So where it started off as a pretty GTish sports car, it certainly also became a bonafide GT soon after, although continuing to refer to it as a sports car wouldn't likely start an argument.

The XJS was a huge departure from all previous XK's, including the XKE, and it wasn't until the XK8 that you could see the connection in name and spirit to the XKE, and particularly to the higher performance XKR's, and all have continuously evolved into the current models. You can see some of the original XKE body shape and features in every angle of the modern XK Series, including the '61-68 tail light shape forming the clear lense area in the center of the XK tail light, and the larger '69-75 lense surrounding it. Jaguar finally perfected the XKE performance connection for me when they brought back the limited slip differential in 2010. I had to have an XK again, and it took me less than 24 hours to confirm and enjoy its sports car heritage on the race track.

My favorite times driving the XKE were on balmy summer days with the roof down and the wind at my back. It turned heads everywhere it went, and on the open road you just never wanted the drive to end. It made you feel very special, and so many great memories involve the car. The XKE was the most memorable and desirable car I've ever owned, and I'm glad to be able to experience both the look and feel of that all over again with the XKR. The XKE straddled the definitions of Sports Car and GT in its day, making compromises to both, and that continues with its latest XK successors and the F-Type.

I think the target market for each car may not be that different at all, and the decision of which one to buy will become easier once the current XK Series is replaced with the next. Until then they both share a wonderful balance of performance and luxury that appeals to so many of us

Bruce

Well said Bruce! The history of the car really adds to the Jag cachet and I have to admit that driving it does make you feel a bit special... not in a short school bus kinda way (lol), but rather in the fact that everyone stares at it longingly (I have to keep reminding myself it's not me, its the car). I've driven many other beautiful cars, but this one causes even the non-car people to notice it. Combine that with its significant improvements in quality ratings (JD power) in recent years and I personally feel that Jaguar is back in a huge way. German brands beware...

Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I consider my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition as a true "sports car". Sports cars don't only have to be 2 seaters.......Here's some text from a recent sports car review.

"The Jaguar XK runs against tough company. The new Porsche 911 elicits complaints centering around it's being too good. But with a few options, the 911 gets pricey. The 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class rivals Jaguar in technology and good looks, but its roadster-style seating leaves backseat occupants out in the cold. The XK or XKR are closely matched in price and performance by the BMW 6 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe.

The Jaguar XKR-S competes against supercars such as the Audi R8, Mercedes SL65 AMG, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, and Nissan GT-R. The XKR-S features an exterior design focused on aerodynamics, with stability at speed and reduced drag of primary importance. Production of the XKR-S for 2013 will be limited to 100 coupes and 100 convertibles, according to Jaguar North America.

The Jaguar XK excels as a luxury GT. The brilliant, British 5.0-liter V8 in all its variants, along with the aluminum chassis and sophisticated suspension make for a sensational driving experience. Elegant exterior design and luxe interior pay homage to Jaguar's past while bringing it into the future. Pull up to a five-star resort in one of these and you will be given the full VIP treatment. This is still one of the most tasteful and able cars in its class."

Also, I have been informed for auto insurance policies, the following definition holds true....."A key point here is TWO DOORS. If a car has two doors its almost always classified as a sports car no matter what."

What more can I say?
Richard all good points but Jaguar and specifically Ian Callum consider the XKR a GT. He said in a recent interview at the LA Auto Show that Jaguar has gone too long without having a proper sports car. And the insurance for my F-Type is 35% higher than my XKR because - you guessed it of the back seat. There are many two door sedans that are available that I don't think anyone would consider a sports car.

My XKR has more interior room than my F-Type and is more comfortable on a long road trip. On the track, my F-Type eats my XKR's lunch in every single category - stopping distance, torque, steering, top speed, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
And the insurance for my F-Type is 35% higher than my XKR because - you guessed it of the back seat.
THANK YOU FOR STATING THIS!!! THAT SETTLES IT!!! XKR175 for my daily driver and XKR-S for my "show car" it is.... 35% higher insurance!?!?!?! WOW!!

Loth

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

Exactly. Years ago a "sports car" was typically quite small, light weight, low, nimble, had pretty basic controls with very minimal creature comforts, ... ...Good examples from England would be the Austin Healy "Bug Eye" Sprite, MGB and Midget, and Triumph TR4, Spitfire and TR6. ...

Bruce
Bruce,

I agree, but think it goes beyond your description. GT or Sports Car? Let me explain the how I believe the term "sports car" came about.

My first car was a 1955 MG TF1500, complete with side curtains (that never kept rain out), heater (that burned my right calf and never warmed the car), 4 speed manual tranny (1st gear not synchro'd, would reach 12mph going downhill in 1st), toolkit (absolutely necessary, since always broke down), and long wait time for parts. Great looking and fun to drive, but you had to be a jolly good sport to put up with all the discomfort and things that didn't work right.

Accordingly, it was a sport's car, not a sports car!

Stuart

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Richard all good points but Jaguar and specifically Ian Callum consider the XKR a GT. He said in a recent interview at the LA Auto Show that Jaguar has gone too long without having a proper sports car. And the insurance for my F-Type is 35% higher than my XKR because - you guessed it of the back seat. There are many two door sedans that are available that I don't think anyone would consider a sports car.

My XKR has more interior room than my F-Type and is more comfortable on a long road trip. On the track, my F-Type eats my XKR's lunch in every single category - stopping distance, torque, steering, top speed, etc.
So I assume you have track'd the F Type (my apologies if you have stated this earlier). I'm sure that the F Type would perform better than the XKR in corners and stopping, but in my test drive of a V8S, I put it in Dynamic mode and "S" and floored it - the F Type did not pull as hard as my XKR.

If I put my XKR in Dynamic mode and either "S" or use the paddles, the pull of the thing is scary.

I hope the coupe gets at least the 550 of the XKR-S. If it does, I will seriously consider it no matter what the insurance cost.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Great looking and fun to drive, but you had to be a jolly good sport to put up with all the discomfort and things that didn't work right.

Accordingly, it was a sport's car, not a sports car!

Stuart
Haha...I think you're right! I recently had my first ride in a neighbors TF and it was quite the experience. He asked if I'd like to drive it on the way back and I politely declined. I was very glad for the experience though, and gained a whole new appreciation for the modern automobile!

Stuart S (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

On the track, my F-Type eats my XKR's lunch in every single category - stopping distance, torque, steering, top speed, etc.
I'd love to hear more about your track experiencse with both. Both cars are heavy, but I'm impressed by how well the heavier XKR performs on the track. Here's my review from Mosport International Raceway...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-excels-73135/

Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Richard all good points but Jaguar and specifically Ian Callum consider the XKR a GT. On the track, my F-Type eats my XKR's lunch in every single category - stopping distance, torque, steering, top speed, etc.
I would totally have to agree that the F-Type is no comparison to an XKR on any (road racing) race track. I have owned and driven open wheel high performance high speed formula race cars for many years. Formula race cars are designed for race tracks, as was much of the Jaguar F-Type for excellent handling, braking, acceleration, and suspension. In some ways they are similiar, but the Jaguar F-Type can't compare to a true engineered formula race car. I am sure that the F-type is a blast to drive on a track, and handles and performs well.

Is your car an automatic tranny or 100% manual w/ clutch?

There can be no doubt that the F-Type is a "true" 2 seater sports car. However after owning many automobiles in my years, I have to certainly consider the XK/XKR as a sports car. And I agree that putting the 2 Jags together (XK/XKR and F-type) the F-type certainly has the sports car look and feel over the XKR.

All in all, no matter what we decide here of what is a real sports car, I know my XKR is a thrill to drive, and certainly is a class automobile. Pure luxury, pure performance, pure pleasure to own and drive.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

What more can I say?
In my opinion, this is the same sort of (dumb) definition most people have. The Chrysler Sebring is probably a sports car to most people. As is a Toyota Paseo!

I would definitely call my XKR a muscle car before I called it a sports car!

Attached Thumbnails XK Vs.F-Type target market.-97_toyota_paseo_convertible-2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
THANK YOU FOR STATING THIS!!! THAT SETTLES IT!!! XKR175 for my daily driver and XKR-S for my "show car" it is.... 35% higher insurance!?!?!?! WOW!!

Loth
Pshh. 35% higher? How much are we talking? $50/month?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The Chrysler Sebring is probably a sports car to most people.
BWAAAHAHAHAHA

OK, to be fair, it isn't the worst US car I've driven, but definitely no sports car.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

OMG, all this hyperbole makes me want to head back to the track to make a few more real sports cars my bitch. If any locals have an F-Type they'd like to bring out, but don't have enough room to transport their helmet, you can either Fed Ex it to the track, or I'll come pick it up and sit it on my back seat next to mine

Is your car an automatic tranny or 100% manual w/ clutch?

Ngarara (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

...Fed Ex it to the track….
Ow, ow, oww - you're not supposed to make me laugh, I'll pull my stitches…

Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

OMG,
This below is from Car & Driver dated September 2012:

"At launch, every F-type will shuttle its power to the rear wheels via a ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission that has been programmed to prioritize acceleration. The car will cut fuel during upshifts to ensure quick gearchanges, lock the gearbox to bypass the torque converter after second gear, and blip the throttle on downshifts. Gearswaps can be controlled via steering-wheel-mounted paddles or the shifter. Jaguar skipped its rotary gear selector in favor of a traditional lever in the interest of driver involvement. Before you scoff, we have been told that a traditional manual transmission is on the way to offer actual driver involvement."

There is a huge difference for a sports car on the track with an automatic transmission as a gearbox vs, a manual transmission, that is why I asked the question.

Originally Posted by richzak....."Is your car an automatic tranny or 100% manual w/ clutch"?

Although the F-Type does have paddle-shifters installed, the car still has an automatic transmission. With a manual gearbox, the F-Type would perform much better on a road racing track. I didn't realize that the F-Type only was made with an automatic transmission/gearbox for 2013. Sorry.

Sounds like Jaguar has made the decision to add a "manual gearbox" in the future.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Although the F-Type does have paddle-shifters installed, the car still has an automatic transmission. With a manual gearbox, the F-Type would perform much better on a road racing track. I didn't realize that the F-Type only was made with an automatic transmission/gearbox for 2013. Sorry.
No problem...I was starting to wonder what kind of a mythical F-Type was being compared to the XKR!

I have a hard time believing Jaguar will offer it with a manual. It's just not the direction the market has moved, with the autos being so capable. Everybody wants a dual clutch auto tranny now, and they're pretty much regarded as being faster than a manual, certainly in the hands of any retail buyer. The ZF 6 and 8 spd in the XKR and F-Type are among the best non-DCT's fortunately, and I've never been able to catch it in the wrong gear on the road or track. Jag may find they have to go with a DCT in the future under pressure from buyers, as it is with even the most die-hard manual lovers like the Viper and Corvette communities.

Question to everyone...what cars do you consider to be sports car, but not GT's? Would the Aston Vantage V8 be one (2 dr/2 seater), new Porsche 911, Audi R8/R10+, GT-R, Scion FRS, new 2013 Viper GTS, 2014 Stingray? I'm sure the Boxster and MX-5 Miata would be on most peoples list. What cars would be on your "sports car" list, not just limited to any of the models I mentioned?

And do you think sports cars are generally faster than GT's?

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-08-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

This below is from Car & Driver dated September 2012:

"At launch, every F-type will shuttle its power to the rear wheels via a ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission that has been programmed to prioritize acceleration. The car will cut fuel during upshifts to ensure quick gearchanges, lock the gearbox to bypass the torque converter after second gear, and blip the throttle on downshifts. Gearswaps can be controlled via steering-wheel-mounted paddles or the shifter. Jaguar skipped its rotary gear selector in favor of a traditional lever in the interest of driver involvement. Before you scoff, we have been told that a traditional manual transmission is on the way to offer actual driver involvement."

There is a huge difference for a sports car on the track with an automatic transmission as a gearbox vs, a manual transmission, that is why I asked the question.

Originally Posted by richzak....."Is your car an automatic tranny or 100% manual w/ clutch"?

Sounds like Jaguar has made the decision to add a "manual gearbox" in the future.
I'm not sure what difference it makes whether the F-Type has a manually-shiftable automatic versus an automatic shifting manual transmission. As long as the transmission shifts quick, blips the throttle and has quick/direct throttle response, I don't see what difference it would make on the track.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

No problem...I was starting to wonder what kind of a mythical F-Type was being compared to the XKR!

I have a hard time believing Jaguar will offer it with a manual. It's just not the direction the market has moved, with the autos being so capable. Everybody wants a dual clutch auto tranny now, and they're pretty much regarded as being faster than a manual, certainly in the hands of any retail buyer. The ZF 6 and 8 spd in the XKR and F-Type are among the best non-DCT's fortunately, and I've never been able to catch it in the wrong gear on the road or track. Jag may find they have to go with a DCT in the future under pressure from buyers, as it is with even the most die-hard manual lovers like the Viper and Corvette communities.

Question to everyone...what cars do you consider to be sports car, but not GT's? Would the Aston Vantage V8 be one (2 dr/2 seater), new Porsche 911, Audi R8/R10+, GT-R, Scion FRS, new 2013 Viper GTS, 2014 Stingray? I'm sure the Boxster and MX-5 Miata would be on most peoples list.

And do you think sports cars are generally faster than GT's?

Bruce
Aston Vantage V8: No
Porsche 911: Barely
Audi R8/R10+: No
GT-R: No
Scion FRS: Yes
2013 Viper GTS: Yes
2014 Stingray: Yes
Boxster: Yes
Miata: Yes

Quick Reply: XK Vs.F-Type target market.