XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Vs.F-Type target market.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
With everyone throwing around the manufacturer's numbers for quarter mile speeds, lap times, etc. I think it's worth noting that not everyone can achieve those times. Buying the same exact golf clubs as Tiger Woods won't win you a Masters. I have had my racing license for more than 40 years. When someone pulls up next to me and says "How fast will that thing go?" I always answer "Depends on who's driving." The fastest car with the slowest driver will always be slower than the slowest car with the fastest driver.

I look forward to taking on the Corvettes at Spring Mountain in my F-Type. While I love Corvettes *and have a red/black C7 on order for museum delivery* I have lots of experience driving them around the track and in the turns, I think they are going to have trouble keeping up with the F-Type, assuming that is that Pirelli comes out with the track focused tire they are promising for the F-Type in Oct. I don't doubt that the C7 will have the advantage on the long straight, but there are lots of turns on most of the courses I run. And that leaves me excited to see which car can turn the fastest lap times. With me driving that is
So, we are both long time racers. I hope you will keep us informed and updated on your lap times for comparison purposes. For one, I would be most interested. My bet is still on the C7 being multi-seconds/lap quicker than the F-type, both under cornering and straight line, assuming the VERY SAME tires. As you know, race-compound DOT tires can mean several seconds/lap advantage over "normal" high performance street tires installed for street use.

I've only seen one comparison test thus far that compared the V6 F-type lap times against a Porsche 911 Cabriolet. The 911 was several seconds faster in that test and, in general, top Corvettes tend to run several seconds faster/lap compared to the 911s. The new C7 base appears to come very close to what the previous top models would run.

I'm sure that within a few weeks/months we will have some comparison tests by professional race drivers to mull over. Rather exiting times, having the chance to choose cars with similar levels of power (or even much higher in some exotics) compared to a GT-1 SCCA race car. Just a few years ago it was unthinkable. Hard for me to grasp how any factory can warranty drivetrains that have 500 - 1000HP, high torque engines tearing at.

Albert

Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Here is a review with the F-Type V6S vs. 2013 Boxster S at Lime Rock.

2014 Jaguar F-Type Versus 2013 Porsche Boxster - Porsche Boxster Versus Jaguar F-Type at Lime Rock in Connecticut - Road & Track

The new Boxster is a little over 2 seconds faster per lap. It is also a staggering 684 lbs lighter and has 65 less horsepower.

Not a bad showing for Jag's first attempt, but obviously there is room for improvement.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt in Houston:
amcdonal86 (07-26-2013), axr6 (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Wonder how that would come out with a V8 S F-type? Wouldn't that be a closer comparison with a 100 grand Boxster?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Here is a review with the F-Type V6S vs. 2013 Boxster S at Lime Rock.

2014 Jaguar F-Type Versus 2013 Porsche Boxster - Porsche Boxster Versus Jaguar F-Type at Lime Rock in Connecticut - Road & Track

The new Boxster is a little over 2 seconds faster per lap. It is also a staggering 684 lbs lighter and has 65 less horsepower.

Not a bad showing for Jag's first attempt, but obviously there is room for improvement.
I think the key there is braking. The Porsche had the ceramic brake package for a bargain $7400. Given the power/weight ratios are all but identical, I suspect the better brakes and maybe better traction make up the majority of the difference in lap times.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah I saw that the Porsche was optioned out...and they are known to really get the price up there with the options. Not sure how much time the ceramic brake kit saved, but I'm sure it did help. I am doubtful it was worth 2 full seconds though.

Priced like it is or not, the V6S should be a good match for the Boxster S. I believe the V8S is aimed more for its bigger brother, the 911.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I think the V8S is more aimed at the Boxster S. Hell, the Boxster S is probably faster around a track than a 911 Carrera.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by agentorange
I think the key there is braking. The Porsche had the ceramic brake package for a bargain $7400. Given the power/weight ratios are all but identical, I suspect the better brakes and maybe better traction make up the majority of the difference in lap times.
I'm fairly confident that the difference was the 684 lbs extra weight. If two cars have everything else identical (tires, power-to-weight ratio, driver, etc) the one with the less weight will win every single time. That car will have generally shorter braking distances, have to accelerate less weight out of each corner, will wear its tires less, and have less sideways forces acting on it under cornering (forces that are trying to sling the car sideways off the track).

Example: In my SCCA ran group there was a 1970-era ex-Pro-TransAm (SCCA Superproduction class) car that weighted close to 4000 lbs and had a dyno RWHP of 803 out of its big block Ford. That is 4.98 lbs/HP. My GT2/3 car weighted about 1950lbs and had a dyno RWHP of 265 for a much less impressive 7.35 lbs/HP. His racing slicks were about twice as wide as mine. He blew me away at the start every time and if I was ultra aggressive I passed him into the very first corner and lapped him after just a handful of laps. That was because when he HAD TO jump on his brakes for the corner, I could hold off and keep my foot buried on the accelerator for probably 100 more feet. By lap 3 his tires were history while mine were still in pretty good shape. His straight-line speeds were astonishing but, was much slower in cornering, braking, which basically where you loose all your lap times in track racing.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 07-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:20 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I sold my XKR 175 earlier this month and miss it like I miss my little girl when she goes away to her grandparents. In my search to find a replacement I test drove a 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S and the F-type V8S. Although the Porsche 911 had some back storage space behind the seats I thought the car was cheap and not as much of a substantial car as the F-type. The F-type made me smile. However, I bought neither because I was looking for more of a GT. Today I bought a new 2013 XKR coupe with dynamic pack and performance exhaust. It's currently getting detailed and then a clear bra will be installed and I'm ready to go. I also looked at a used 2013 XKR-S coupe with around 5,000 miles. For the $20K difference in price I went for the new 2013 XKR in pristine condition with no stories or history. The dynamic pack and performance exhaust on the XKR will provide me with enough fun. I also like the look of the performance seats but didn't want to give up the world class Jaguar real cooled seats (not just ventilated like most cars with cooled seats). Consequently, I don't think the F-type competes directly with the XK. I hope the XK lives on as a true GT and is not morphed into a sometime like a Bentley GT Continental.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I sold my XKR 175 earlier this month and miss it like I miss my little girl when she goes away to her grandparents. In my search to find a replacement I test drove a 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S and the F-type V8S. Although the Porsche 911 had some back storage space behind the seats I thought the car was cheap and not as much of a substantial car as the F-type. The F-type made me smile. However, I bought neither because I was looking for more of a GT. Today I bought a new 2013 XKR coupe with dynamic pack and performance exhaust. It's currently getting detailed and then a clear bra will be installed and I'm ready to go. I also looked at a used 2013 XKR-S coupe with around 5,000 miles. For the $20K difference in price I went for the new 2013 XKR in pristine condition with no stories or history. The dynamic pack and performance exhaust on the XKR will provide me with enough fun. I also like the look of the performance seats but didn't want to give up the world class Jaguar real cooled seats (not just ventilated like most cars with cooled seats). Consequently, I don't think the F-type competes directly with the XK. I hope the XK lives on as a true GT and is not morphed into a sometime like a Bentley GT Continental.
Congrats on the great purchase. The dynamic pack and the performance exhaust will complement that GT superbly. Any pictures??? I ALWAYS considered the Porsche interiors very cheap looking, although the present models have improved but, not enough for my taste. Fascinating how the press talks up the quality of Porsche interiors when, truly for me and you, they look cheap (Boxer, for instance). No comparison to the XKR luxury.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
DGL (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Octurbo
If you are in sport mode (drive selector on S) and are using the paddles, the transmission will only go into 2nd gear (not 1st) when coming to a stop and you are not actively downshifting. I also find 1st gear useless in manual mode (tires spin, rpm's build too quickly, transmission jerky when going into 2nd)
I should've qualified my statement by saying that I was talking about fully automatic mode (both sport and drive modes). It does indeed shift into first gear when you come to a stop--if you are in automatic mode.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Congrats on the great purchase. The dynamic pack and the performance exhaust will complement that GT superbly. Any pictures??? I ALWAYS considered the Porsche interiors very cheap looking, although the present models have improved but, not enough for my taste. Fascinating how the press talks up the quality of Porsche interiors when, truly for me and you, they look cheap (Boxer, for instance). No comparison to the XKR luxury.

Albert
I can't say I liked my ride in 911. The Jag feels so much better. I also thought the interior left a lot to be desired.

Pictures of new ride in:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ic-pack-99494/

Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston

Priced like it is or not, the V6S should be a good match for the Boxster S. I believe the V8S is aimed more for its bigger brother, the 911.
I can see someone whose interested in the Boxster's driving properties comparing it more with the V6S. Much more similar power levels, and according to Jaguar's Mike Cross preference, it's the driver's F. The V8S from all accounts is a bit over the top power delivery wise, and it's more of a muscle car than a corner carver like the Boxster, and perhaps the 911 for that matter as well. I can see someone considering a 911 Turbo doing a direct comparison with the V8S.

Now I appreciate handling as much as anyone, particularly on the track, but since its not going to compete with the best through the twisties anyways, I'd have to go with the V8S for its grunt advantage on the straights and skillfully apply the required amount of right foot restraint through the corners. Those are the same considerations and trade-offs I made when choosing the XKR, passing up a number of higher performance cars like the Corvette for the Jag's stunning beauty, and I have little doubt others who love the styling of the F-Type will do the same. Stats and journalist reviews are one thing, but there's a lot more that goes into one's decision to buy a car.

Bruce

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
...Those are the same considerations and trade-offs I made when choosing the XKR, passing up a number of higher performance cars like the Corvette for the Jag's stunning beauty, and I have little doubt others who love the styling of the F-Type will do the same. Stats and journalist reviews are one thing, but there's a lot more that goes into one's decision to buy a car.

Bruce
Same here. In direct opposition against my history of car purchases where performance was number 1 and hardly anything else mattered, I purchased the '05XK, the '08XK and my present two Jaguars for their beauties only. The '05 performance and handling was less than sterling and I would not get too exited about the '08's handling either. But, they were gorgeous which made it worthwhile for me to own them.

The F-type, now that I had seen it and drove it, is a nice looking car but, thus far I do not feel the same visual gravitational forces from it as from the XK and XJL models that practically sucked me into buying them. Maybe it will grow on me, maybe not.

Albert

Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

DGL - Congrats on the new XKR. Enjoy it for a long time now that you seem to have settled on Jaguars. Regards, Ralph

DGL (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Same here. In direct opposition against my history of car purchases where performance was number 1 and hardly anything else mattered, I purchased the '05XK, the '08XK and my present two Jaguars for their beauties only. The '05 performance and handling was less than sterling and I would not get too exited about the '08's handling either. But, they were gorgeous which made it worthwhile for me to own them.

The F-type, now that I had seen it and drove it, is a nice looking car but, thus far I do not feel the same visual gravitational forces from it as from the XK and XJL models that practically sucked me into buying them. Maybe it will grow on me, maybe not.

Albert
I know exactly what you mean Albert. I went to the Jaguar dealer specifically to look at the F-type and they made the mistake of showing a black F-type next to the Black Pack XKR I bought. There was no comparison as far as looks in my honest opinion.......

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I know exactly what you mean Albert. I went to the Jaguar dealer specifically to look at the F-type and they made the mistake of showing a black F-type next to the Black Pack XKR I bought. There was no comparison as far as looks in my honest opinion.......
Same exact thing happened to me. Got the call from the Jaguar dealer. I was on top of the list for the F-Type. After seeing the F-Type, then walking into the showroom and seeing the XKR, decision was made to start the search for the XKR. The XKR was delivered to me within 3 weeks after looking at several for sale.

I am so happy with the XKR purchase and I get so many compliments on the car. Many don't know what it is, as I have the only one in Las Cruces, NM a city in southern NM of 100,000. It makes me feel so good.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:41 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
DGL - Congrats on the new XKR. Enjoy it for a long time now that you seem to have settled on Jaguars. Regards, Ralph
Thanks Ralph. Hope all is well with you. Keep hitting those furry ***** down the line and enjoy the LA weather. I'll be taking my daughter back to LA again for her March break.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Nice video on F-Type vs 911......enjoy

axr6 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Nice video on F-Type vs 911......enjoy
Seems like he reached the same conclusion as the guy in the last video--that the 911 is just a bit better than the F-Type. However, to be seriously compared with a 911 is a pretty big success for Jaguar.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

One thing I did notice in the video above, at about 7:23 sec's or so, the driver in the Jag F-Type has a full manual transmission and is interactive with the car actually shifting gears. No automatic trans, no paddle shifters in an auto mode. Now that's a sports car. However, end result.... the 911 was better in his opinion.

Quick Reply: XK Vs.F-Type target market.