XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK Vs.F-Type target market.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just back to the original question, the differences between the target market's of the Xk and F-Type. I live literally 20 miles from the assembly plant here in the UK and seen two F-types on the road, also having visited a car event and also a jaguar garage, i'd have to say I think women are very much more drawn to the F-Type than the XK. I'd love to see a lady driving an XK, but I havent yet.

The F-Type on the road looked alright - I didnt like the back end that much mind, the drivers (one male, one female) were absolute posers though and I think i'd have to say the F-Type is much more of an immediate impact on the visual senses, whilst the XK (remove the RS) has the elegant charm and is distinguished in an understated manner, the same way an Aston is.

It will be interesting to see the crowd who jump on the F-Type especially in an open top version. I myself will look forward to seeing the next generation of the XK and by that time be able to compare it to the hard top F-Type.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Weight of F Type

The car mags never get the weight right. Not once have I ever seen the correct Kerb weight of the XKRS listed on any site! As far as the F-Type there are three different models with three different weights. Here are the weights according to Jaguar:

F Type V6: 3521 lbs Kerb Weight
F Type V6S 3558
F Type V8S 3671

XKRS 3861 lbs Kerb Weight (just for reference)

Keep in mind that the weight should go down by about 150-200 lbs when the coupes come out. Ya Baby!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Debates are fun - its a key reason for the forums! That being said anyone that thinks the F has the pressence of the XK is dillusional ;-). The F looks a bit overstyled. Isn't low either. Perhaps its short proportions make it look taller. First thing that grabs attention in world of sports cars is low and wide. In contrast the long proportions and wide hops give the XK a pure, timeless, predatory and even more dramatics pressence that makes people notice. And its dimensions say "I'm a Daddy of Cars". I really liked the styling of the coupe and may even do one. But I think it still stacks against the XK as above.

Perhaps lowered etc its small size will have the opposite effect and look more purposeful and sinister like a little Gallardo but front engined of course!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

^So you're saying the XK is the daddy, particularly in coupe form I'm guessing, making the F-Type a chick car. That makes sense, and Ian may have felt that a stylish woman driving an F-Type would give the car bodacious presence. I think we'll need photo evidence to support the theory, and a comparison with women driving XK verts as well. And yes, debates are fun

Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
^So you're saying the XK is the daddy, particularly in coupe form I'm guessing, making the F-Type a chick car. That makes sense, and Ian may have felt that a stylish woman driving an F-Type would give the car bodacious presence. I think we'll need photo evidence to support the theory, and a comparison with women driving XK verts as well. And yes, debates are fun
My wife definitely has an eye for the F-type, particularly in red.

Now, my F-type V8 test driving experience was somewhat compromised by my anxiety of having a spectacularly pretty, blond, 20-ish sales lady sitting next to me in this top-down car. I imagined the yellow envy and ill-wishes from those fellow freeway travelers whom I blew by in the F-type cursing out the "rich old fart with the too-young and beautiful woman they could never procure".

Kind of felt like when I was walking around Las Vegas with my 20-some God-daughter who happened to be a first runner up on a national beauty contest with many magazine cover-shots in her portfolio. I had never experienced so much envy and hatred from my fellow men-folks. I was desperately thinking of hanging a sign in my neck, saying:

"NOOOO, She IS my God-daughter". REALLY.

Albert

The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
amcdonal86 (08-01-2013), Bruce H. (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Haha, that's a special drink they all were drinking in Vegas. Its called Hatorade!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Debates are fun - its a key reason for the forums! That being said anyone that thinks the F has the pressence of the XK is dillusional ;-). The F looks a bit overstyled. Isn't low either. Perhaps its short proportions make it look taller. First thing that grabs attention in world of sports cars is low and wide. In contrast the long proportions and wide hops give the XK a pure, timeless, predatory and even more dramatics pressence that makes people notice. And its dimensions say "I'm a Daddy of Cars". I really liked the styling of the coupe and may even do one. But I think it still stacks against the XK as above.

Perhaps lowered etc its small size will have the opposite effect and look more purposeful and sinister like a little Gallardo but front engined of course!
Why do you feel the need to attack people who you disagree with? Dillusional (sic) is not appropriate. Aren't there moderators here???
Anyway, bring your XK to Vegas to Spring Mountain and I will show you which car is "predatory." How about we race for $5k and the loser pays the winner's favorite charity? I'm ready any time you can come. Bring an XKR so you at least have a chance. I'll give you a two second head start.

Oh and I actually OWN both cars so while debates are fun, they are more fun when the person you're debating has some real facts to debate with.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I have to agree with Evoking here. Although the F-Type is for sure the much better performer, it does not have the low and long proportions of the XK.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the looks of the F-Type. But its proportions make it look like more of a toy and less like something that's going to bruise you. Of course, its performance abilities say otherwise...

Attached Thumbnails XK Vs.F-Type target market.-jaguar-xkr_2012_800x600_wallpaper_0e.jpg   XK Vs.F-Type target market.-jaguar-f-type-profile-studio.jpg  
Old 08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
drc
Default XK vs F

I'm a XK guy. I think the XK is a far better looking car than the F. I have always liked GT cars over sports cars because of the size. I don't care for small cars - don't know why. That said - I'm waiting for the F Type Coupe RS. I think that will blow the XKRS away in looks and performance.
XK Vs.F-Type target market.-jaguar-f-type-gt-bsy_final-650x0.jpg

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

I think discussing differences in track performance between the two isn't particularly relevant as almost noone here tracks these and never will. A few of us do some lapping days and would have just as much fun in an XFR, XKR or F-Type. And none of us will be that quick or competitive with the majority of cars on track unless we at least put on R-compound tires and be willing to risk the car by driving it on the ragged edge like many others driving cars modified for the track.

Track day are for enjoying a high performance car more fully and safely than you can on public roads, and to improve or maintain your performance driving skills. It's a great way to spend a day with other like-minded enthusiasts in more of a cooperative rather than competitive atmosphere. I've ape raped an awful lot of cars on track that would be quicker than mine if they were driven with equal skill and aggression so I don't think our members would settle anything on the track, but I will predict this...that I would be quicker around a track driving someone else's XKR than my own. We can test this theory at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) on 9/11 or Le Circuit Mont Trembant on 9/25...any offers ?

Bruce

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

We can test this theory at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) on 9/11 or Le Circuit Mont Trembant on 9/25...any offers ?

Bruce
What's going on at Tremblant on 9/25? We go to Montreal a few times a year. It's a wonderful drive up 89 through VT. Should be some foliage by then.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
What's going on at Tremblant on 9/25? We go to Montreal a few times a year. It's a wonderful drive up 89 through VT. Should be some foliage by then.
Yes, I expect it will be a very scenic 6+ hour drive. It's an annual end of season private lapping day hosted by the chief instructor of the local PCA region, and capped at just 25 cars. Last year I think there were only a couple that weren't GT3's on race tires, and I'm hoping they'll all be kind to me with the XKR on street rubber!

Bruce

Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

My advice (to myself) still stands: Don't take a street car to a track!

But, if you're disciplined enough to contain your competitive juices, you could be OK. I had seen too many street cars crashed/destroyed on the tracks with no insurance coverage. I'm not one to be able to back off when it comes to hard racing. That is why I crashed two street cars, one very expensive, on the tracks. But, I was always in the run for the fastest lap times in my street group.

For full bore racing, pure racing cars are much faster and actually are less expensive to maintain or repair as opposed to street cars. Of course, racing is still very expensive. Since I quit track racing, I can't believe the monies I can save :-). These days I feel quite content with taking out my fast cars to some of the nearly deserted, beautiful winding roads near my home and let them loose. The only real fear I have left is hitting a deer (or even a bear) that seem to be omni-present in this area. Guess, there is always some risk in (fast) driving...

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Went to a cars and coffee event today and had some time to look at an F-Type up close for an extended period of time. I really love the looks of it. Although I do love the looks of my XKR (long, low and sleek), the F-Type is meant to be a sports car and a sports car which means it should have a relatively short wheelbase and short overhangs, which it does.

It is a very dense looking car and from the looks of it, I'm not surprised it weighs 3800 lbs.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM
drc
Thumbs up

I think discussing differences in track performance between the two isn't particularly relevant as almost noone here tracks these and never will. A few of us do some lapping days and would have just as much fun in an XFR, XKR or F-Type. And none of us will be that quick or competitive with the majority of cars on track unless we at least put on R-compound tires and be willing to risk the car by driving it on the ragged edge like many others driving cars modified for the track.

Track day are for enjoying a high performance car more fully and safely than you can on public roads, and to improve or maintain your performance driving skills. It's a great way to spend a day with other like-minded enthusiasts in more of a cooperative rather than competitive atmosphere. I've ape raped an awful lot of cars on track that would be quicker than mine if they were driven with equal skill and aggression so I don't think our members would settle anything on the track, but I will predict this...that I would be quicker around a track driving someone else's XKR than my own. We can test this theory at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) on 9/11 or Le Circuit Mont Trembant on 9/25...any offers ?

Bruce
I thought apex steeling was a no-no? LOL. I understand where you are coming from but you don't have to be a pro driver and/or go to the track to enjoy a car that handles well and is high performance. Many of us have grown up on mountain roads and can appreciate less weight and better handling. When that F Type RS coupe comes out I'm going to be in it on my favorite mountain road - La Honda Rd to Alpine Rd to Pescadero Rd to the coast! Ya gatta love California!

By the way - I just got back from the Jag school at Laguna Seca. That cork screw is intimidating! Now that I know the track and happen to live about an hour away. I think I'm going to hook up with Track Masters and work on that cork screw a bit more.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drc
...When that F Type RS coupe comes out I'm going to be in it on my favorite mountain road - La Honda Rd to Alpine Rd to Pescadero Rd to the coast! Ya gatta love California!

By the way - I just got back from the Jag school at Laguna Seca. That cork screw is intimidating!
Memories... I raced countless cars and bikes on Skyline off La Honda...

Cork Screw - Back in the early '80s I crashed my Lambo there; late braking (too late). Otherwise a fun 1 - 2 turn, feels really good with proper timing. It is the following off-camber turn that I never liked.

I burned my GT-2 race car to the ground in Turn2 and hit the wall head-on at 80MPH in Turn 6. Not on the same day. Memories are coming CRASHING back...

Albert

Old 08-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The F type V6S would have no problem leaving the XKR in it's rearview on the track. The V8S would terrorize the XKR on the track.

In terms of looks, the rear of the F type it a lot more pugnacious(tougher looking) than the rear of the XK. Rest of the XK has more presence for sure.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
The F type V6S would have no problem leaving the XKR in it's rearview on the track. The V8S would terrorize the XKR on the track.

In terms of looks, the rear of the F type it a lot more pugnacious(tougher looking) than the rear of the XK. Rest of the XK has more presence for sure.

Not sure I agree with this, depending on the track, for the V6S. But the V8S, sure.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive

I own the F-Type V8s and have never driven the V6 so I have no idea how it would do - since it's lighter and a little more agile in the turns according to the reviewers it would no doubt do very well. As an ex 2012 XKR owner with lap times at Fontana in LA and Spring Mountain and Las Vegas Motor Speedway here in Nevada under my belt I can assure you that the F-Type wins hands down - by a wide margin and that's with the XKR having better tires than the F-Type. My first lap in the F-Type at LVMS was a full second faster than the XKR. My second lap was two full seconds faster and by lap four I was around two point seven seconds faster. Once we get a track - focused tire for the F-Type I can imagine six second advantage for the F-Type at LVMS and three to five at Spring Mountain depending on the track configuration. It's not even close either way.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
As an ex 2012 XKR owner with lap times at Fontana in LA and Spring Mountain and Las Vegas Motor Speedway here in Nevada under my belt I can assure you that the F-Type wins hands down - by a wide margin and that's with the XKR having better tires than the F-Type. My first lap in the F-Type at LVMS was a full second faster than the XKR. My second lap was two full seconds faster and by lap four I was around two point seven seconds faster. Once we get a track - focused tire for the F-Type I can imagine six second advantage for the F-Type at LVMS and three to five at Spring Mountain depending on the track configuration. It's not even close either way.
You talking about the V8S?

Quick Reply: XK Vs.F-Type target market.