XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK X150 Fuel Pressure Driver Module Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK X150 Fuel Pressure Driver Module Location

Hi guys

I'm having an issue locating the FPDM, workshop manual states 'The Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) is located in the rear LH quarter adjacent to the parking aid control module' but I'm pretty sure there's nothing there.

Has anyone had any experience with this who could point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Old 06-09-2024, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 573 Likes on 367 Posts

Have a look at these:

https://charm.li/Jaguar/2007/XK%20%2...nit/Locations/

https://charm.li/Jaguar/2007/XK%20%2...ule/Locations/

Last edited by McJag222; 06-09-2024 at 02:11 PM. Reason: new information
The following users liked this post:
guy (06-09-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 12:04 PM

This is really helpful, thanks buddy

Kev

Old 06-10-2024, 12:43 PM
Received 695 Likes on 346 Posts

What does the fuel pump driver module do exactly?

I've been experiencing lots of odd and changing fuel delivery issues which have included (1) fuel shutoff while driving, several sudden over- rich conditions while driving (which have evidently killed my cats), fuel pump noise that ceases if I stab the throttle, and most recently, occasional extended cranking before a start as if the fuel rail has drained down. Regarding the latter, all the previous fuel anomalies have stopped occurring.

Last edited by mhminnich; 06-10-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Per the service manual:The Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) is used to control the speed of the fuel pump based upon the fuel demand of the engine. The ECM controls the FPDM in response to inputs from the fuel rail pressure sensor, MAP and the Mass Air Flow (MAF)/Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. The FPDM is located on the RH end of the charcoal cannister and is attached by 2 scrivet fasteners.

The ECM sends a PWM signal to the FPDM, the frequency of the signal determines the duty cycle of the pump. The PWM signal to the pump represents half the ON time of the pump. If the ECM transmits a 50% on time the drives the pump at 100%. If the ECM transmits a 5% ON time the FPDM drives the pump at 10%. The FPDM will only turn the fuel pump ON if it receives a valid signal between 4% and 50%. When The ECM requires the fuel pump to be turned OFF the ECM transmits a duty cycle signal of 75%.

The status of the FPDM is monitored by the ECM. Any errors can be retrieved from The ECM using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS). The FPDM cannot be interrogated for diagnostic purposes.

The following users liked this post:
Kevp1863 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mhminnich
What does the fuel pump driver module do exactly?

I've been experiencing lots of odd and changing fuel delivery issues which have included (1) fuel shutoff while driving, several sudden over- rich conditions while driving (which have evidently killed my cats), fuel pump noise that ceases if I stab the throttle, and most recently, occasional extended cranking before a start as if the fuel rail has drained down. Regarding the latter, all the previous fuel anomalies have stopped occurring.
I've been experiencing lots of odd and changing fuel delivery issues which have included (1) fuel shutoff while driving, several sudden over- rich conditions while driving (which have evidently killed my cats), fuel pump noise that ceases if I stab the throttle, and most recently, occasional extended cranking before a start as if the fuel rail has drained down. Regarding the latter, all the previous fuel anomalies have stopped occurring.[/QUOTE]

My Brother in law is the brains behind this operation pal so apologies, my description might not be the best.

Problems began when my XK would start and then cut out within ten seconds, irrespective of how far you depressed the throttle. We checked the main relay, fuses etc, found that the fuel pump was receiving and returning a live feed but was failing to prime so determined the fuel pump itself had failed. We fitted a new one (hell of a job by the way) only to find no change, in fact we lost the return feed from the pump when we retested everything.

After a decent amount of researching, we found that the FPDM has the capacity to affect the priming of the pump, thus affecting the return feed. Having hooked up a diagnostic machine, we were able to prime the pump after bypassing the module, leading us to think this is the likely source of the fault.

For what it's worth, the workshop manual describes it as this:

'The fuel pump is control by the ECM. The ECM sends a PWM signal to the FPDM, the frequency of the signal determines the duty cycle of the pump. The PWM signal to the pump represents half the ON time of the pump. If the ECM transmits a 50% on time the FPDM drives the pump at 100%'

Hope that helps

Kev

Old 06-10-2024, 07:08 PM
Received 695 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for the above. It certainly gives me a couple different things to consider.
I almost changed the pump (saved by mistakenly ordering the wrong one), but it seems clear to me that the pump is not the primary culprit.
I've got a new more capable OBD reader on the way so I can do some relevant data logging to see if that hints at an issue.

Old 06-12-2024, 02:59 AM

Yeah, that pump change is a hell of a job buddy, trust me

Hope you get it sorted, I've managed to source the used part I need from Ebay for £30, now I just have to get underneath and fit it, which given how difficult this job has been so far, I'm not anticipating a quick fix!