XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK/XKR projected maintenance, tires, insurance cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Default XK/XKR projected maintenance, tires, insurance cost

I'm looking into purchase costs of a 2010 XKR coupe and wondering what budget for following would be:

-maintenace for 4 years
-winter tires (and wheels?)
-extended warranty for 3-4 years over manufacturer warranty (if possible).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Jaguny,

FWIW I pay $2k/year for insurance on my 2010 XKR Coupe. Ouch.

I replaced all 4 tires recently (long story) with fairly pricey Pilot Sport PS2 tires, $2k if memory serves. Not sure how long they will last, but I'm guessing less than 12k miles. YMMV. PS2's wear very fast, but I like the grip and silent ride. There are certainly less costly tires with similar performance, next time I may research more and try a different model.

Extended warranty really depends on what mileage, coverage sought, etc. I'd advise you to look for a Jaguar Select Edition XKR for sale if you can locate one. Jag stands behind it 100%, it goes to 100k miles, and there is ZERO hassle or risk that the underwriter will go bankrupt and leave you with no warranty. Which does happen.

I bought mine with under 4k miles on the odo, 6 or 7 months in service I think, and the select edition warranty (7/100). Screaming deal, great price, and the car has major warranty coverage, better than a new car at that.

Not sure what your budget it for a car, but there are a few of us here with 2010 XKR coupes that bought them used and Select Editioned.

Skeeter

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

Skeeter. Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm looked at your post with your car and it's pretty much the ideal if I could swing it. Nice looking ride.

Cars.com, autotrader are listing 2010 XKR's from 66k on up. I was hoping I could get one including Select Edition warranty as you describe for 64k or less. I am budgeting an additional 1k for locate and transport to my location. Does the Select warranty you have include maintenance, as that would take care of that cost for a few years? Only thing left would be winter tires as I would use this car as a daily driver. Other option is a used 2011 xk, but the r is seductive. Need to see how the fit and drive is and I am good sized person. Is 64k doable?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey,

Thanks, I love the car, there's little not to like. Not too many cars with the combination of practicality and exotic looks and performance... Not too many cars come with 100k mile factory warranties that come close to the design and performance you get in the XKR.

No, the 2010's don't include replacement of wear and tear items like brake pads. The 2011's do, but only the 2011's; they stopped offering this after that one year.

I paid a bit over $70k for my 2010 XKR coupe, like I said under 4k miles and immaculate. If you can find a SE 2010 XKR in the mid 60's I'd jump on it. Didn't think they'd drop that much in 4 months or so. If you can find a 2010 XKR coupe @ $65k I'd jump on it.

A little research shows this one on Ebay:
Jaguar : XK Jaguar : XK | eBay

A 2010 XKR Coupe, looks identical to mine, 11k miles, no Select Edition warranty (a deal breaker for me), asking $65,600.

Then this one on AutoTrader:
Cars for Sale: 2010 Jaguar XKR Coupe in Saint Petersburg, FL 33715: Coupe Details - 314400933 - AutoTrader.com

Still, 18k miles, no Select Edition. I'd pass.

Let's see what Jaguar lists... Ok, a 2010 XKR coupe in red (nice), SE warranty, 31k miles, $66,600. Lots of miles, but if you are covered till 100k it might not matter. Depends on condition, I guess. Or a KILLER looking black coupe, $73k with 13k miles. Bet you could bargain them down a few and get it for $70k, maybe $69k? Then we get into the 2011 XKR coupes, killer free maintenance on wear and tear, a sliver model with 12k for $78k, out of price range...

I'm still thinking I did ok on mine. Find a 2010 with the SE, figure out if mileage matters or if you are ok with a car that has 20-30k miles given the 100k coverage.

I would definitely go for the XKR if you can afford it. The crazy power, active exhaust, and dual nature of the car, from smooth to rowdy, all huge points of enjoyment. The 5.0 SC motor is a thing of wonder, silent when you want it to be, endless torque, but also a high revving growling cat when summoned on...

I think you might have to come up a bit from $64k though.

Good luck & keep us posted,

Skeeter

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Skeeter,

Thanks for the great write up and info! I suspected the number was at the low end of the range. Having read up on the xkr it has received great reviews and the upgrades from the xk seem worth it. I will need to test drive.

I am thinking two possibilities. I can wait till end of summer when the 2013's come out, then the 10's will be 3 yrs. old. Based on some old lease posts it appears the residuals were in the mid 50 percentile. I think you have it right, it will depend on the miles.

The other option is to pick one up from a lease. I have some connections to do that. I would then have to get my own extended warranty. From what I have read, maybe $3500 -$4500 would be needed to get to an additional 5 years to 100k, (aftermarket). Also wpuld need to condition the car for whatever it needs. All the stuff dealers take care of rightfully get paid for plus profit.

Thanks again, and I post my progress and if I stay on track for a Jag.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

A returned lease car may not need much for to run with it. You'll save more on a warranty if you extend it while within the manufacture warranty. What you do pay more for is the actual car price and excise tax each year.

In the end, it's going to cost one way or another.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Visited the closest jag dealer to my home; about 90 miles. They sold the one used xk they had. I sat in the 2012 vert. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the seat adjusted to fit comfortably. At 6'2 and sizeable, car fit is boderline. I don't know if the coupe is any different, although I understand there is one inch more headroom. Test drove an '11 xfsc and '12. First time in jags. Was overall impressed with balance of the cars, and fit, finish and overall style. Not sure where I'm headed at this point. I'd like to find a coupe just to try it. Liked the xf.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I fit better in the convertible than the coupe. I'm 6'3" with a tall torso. If you're looking at shipping, it obviously depends on how far you're shipping it, but if you want enclosed shipping you'd better double that budget to 2k. I found my 10 with only 2.8k miles on the odo. It's not a select edition, and I didn't want to spend 4k on an extended warranty. I've got 2 years left on the factory warranty, and I'll likely keep the car until the wheels fall of or it's worth a mint because... <shrugs> hey, leave me to my delusions!

The car's a great car. Looks, build quality, fun to drive. Factory maintenance is... an oil change once a year or 15k miles. Transmission fluid is lifetime. For the most part I expect just consumables -- tires and brakes.

Parts aren't terrible for prices really. Better than the German marques. Worse than US or Japanese marques. Extremely unique. Have only run into two other XKs on the road in the 4 months I've owned her. I like that.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rahtok,

At 6'3" how well do you fit? Headroom Is fine; need about an inch in the seat travel back I'm guessing. Auto adjust seat kept changing incline of seat.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, despite being 6'3", I have about a 33 or sometimes 34" inseam. I'm built like a football center with pretty wide shoulders and when I had my ankle xray'd a couple of years ago for a sprain, the tech commented that my ankle joint was larger than most people's knee joints. The car is very comfortable for me. I have no trouble finding a good position, and I have plenty of room to wear a hat too. I do recline the seat a bit as it's more comfortable for me to drive that way, but I don't want anymore than what was given. Don't forget that the steering wheel adjusts for rake and telescopes as well -- that may help if you're looking for a comfy position.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips on comfortable position. I'm more nose tackle than center. Short legs, tall upper body. plenty wide. I'll need to do another test fit and take a bit more time.