XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR; Best Years?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 07:30 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts
Default XKR; Best Years?

I'm considering a used XKR hard top, and would appreciate thoughts on the best years to look for
(I currently own an '07 XJR, and have a fairly good grasp on the importance of model year with X350 Jags)
- If it matters, I do all my own maintenance and repair work
- The XKR would replace both XJR (don't need the back seat any longer) and an M3 BMW convertible (E46; need the garage space)
- Alternative would be a late R230 Mercedes (eg SL550 hardtop convertible). Prefer another Jag, if I can find a nice one...

Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Here we go again. That's like asking what's the best years for a Porsche or a Vette. Or what a lion eats for breakfast. (Anything he wants!) How can we give you any meaningful advice if we don't know what you want?

What features are important to you? They vary by model year. Adaptive Cruise Control? Backup camera? Alcon Performance Brakes? Is 420HP enough or do you want 550HP or more? Does mileage matter? What about exterior and interior colors? How many previous owners and what about maintenance history and accident repairs? How much do you want to spend?

Doing your own repairs will definitely save you $$$. Do you have SDD and a Topix subscription?

Old 09-03-2020, 09:44 AM

How can we give you any meaningful advice if we don't know what you want?

-
Most important: Reliability (In other model lines, certain year Jags are plagued with issues; electronics especially. How about the X150?
- Smooth, stylish GT for long distance travel: No, I don't really care about 420 vs 500+ HP; eg, in MB, I would not be looking at the AMG SL63, but rather the SL550. I drive cross country a couple times each year; the XJR is a great road burner. Prefer XKR hardtop. Most interested in driveability, liveability, practicality, quietness, smoothness, handling plus comfort, excellent seats, good HVAC, decent audio
- Color combo, etc: Not too important to me; just not garish. I have adap cruise in the XJR and like it
- Price and condition: My general approach is to find target model and year(s), then search out the very best example I can find. Far prefer one owner private sale cars (this is important to me), and will travel to get the right one. Price is whatever market price is. Documented maint more important to me than mileage
- Diagnostic Tools: I have a handheld OBD2E scanner, with JLR software pkg (Foxwell NT510). Its been fine with the XJR...

Old 09-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

I am absolutely thrilled with my '07 XKR 4.2 420 hp. More than enough to get your attention. My next one however will be a 5.0 as torque is addictive.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
guy (09-04-2020), hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Buy an XKR-S and not worry if you got the best variant or not.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

What Moses said.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Buy an XKR-S GT and not worry if you got the best variant or not.
fypfy

Old 09-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Buy an XKR-S GT and not worry if you got the best variant or not.
Originally Posted by JagRag
fypfy
You also going to fix the OPs $200,000 cash shortage?
Personally, I think the -GT a bit too garish for the type of car it is supposed to be. Now if it was supposed to be a Koenigsegg or something, then that'd be fine. Besides, it's not really any faster/quicker than an -S unless it's on a track.

guy (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Adaptive Cruise Control is a rare option on an XKR except for the 2010 model year when it was standard equipment with the introduction of the 5.0L engine.

So, if ACC is important, then look for a 2010 model year XKR. Sure, there are 4.2L XKRs out there with ACC, but they're few and far between. And the 5.0L SC engine will give you better highway mileage than the 4.2L SC, as well as more power than you'll need except on a racetrack.

Buying an XKR-S GT is easy, if you use other people's money.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (09-03-2020), hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by hisport
How can we give you any meaningful advice if we don't know what you want?

-
Most important: Reliability (In other model lines, certain year Jags are plagued with issues; electronics especially. How about the X150?
I'd so go for a 2014/2015.

That or any other year that has been driven at least 10K a year and taken care of; most weak links would have been taken care of under those conditions.

My observation, there are parts that go with age, rubber and plastic become brittle.
This would lean towards getting the newset example you can find.
Or getting one old enough that what would fail has failed and been replaced.
And frankly, I do not think that the earlier cars have been around long enough to have problems with vacuum lines, etc, and replace them already.
Earlier cars in an awkward spot of not really having problems...yet.

Last edited by Tervuren; 09-03-2020 at 06:41 PM.
hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

2012+ has a backup camera standard, but also has those atrocious sticky buttons. Course, the '12+ models are also a bit sleeker in the nose department.
Me, I'd trade my '10 for a '14 or so, if I could keep all my additions.

hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 09:24 PM

Thanks, All
- I casually looked online; through EBay, etc - lots of small dealers buying wholesaled XK and XKR's; surprising number of branded title cars. Coupes not as common as convertibles?
- Plan to find and drive a 2010+ XK and 2010+ XKR; see which I like (my assumption is the SC car, though the NA 5.0L has a nice torque spec)
- Surprised that the x150 (aluminum) is even a bit heavier than my XJR (also aluminium)
- Looks like a decent XKR could be had for ~$30K or so; are current X150 prices Steady? Declining? Rising?
- I'll learn more about the options, etc as I go, but puzzled that the Jag flagship (through 2014, anyhow) doesn't always come standard with pedestrian stuff like adap cruise control, etc
- Any parts availability issues on x150's? (I'm hoping Jag/Tata Motors stays afloat. Saab established a sobering precedent)

Old 09-03-2020, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Since you seem to like your long drives Id get a 5.0 XK, here in the UK the 2014/15 came as an 'Artisan' edition. Probs not available in North America though

ACC isn't an option Ive seen on any XK/R this side of the pond, but having has them on two other cars and disliking the function, for me that's no great loss.

I am 55 and would steer clear of the 2014 Dynamic R that I the as the ride is not very compliant.

Last edited by MarkyUK; 09-04-2020 at 05:44 PM.
hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:55 AM
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

The 5.0 litre cars have a slightly better-made interior - the usual Jaguar gradual improvements.

The 5.0 litre engines, though generally reliable have a few points to watch out for but they don't manifest themselves in all cars bay any stretch of the imagination - water pump and timing chains.

The latest cars have the cool looking seats but are not cooled. I'd take function over form in this case.

By the sounds of things, the last "Dynamic" cars are a bit hard. I find my MY11 XKR Speed Pack car comfortable and fairly responsive. It certainly doesn't feel soft but has a ride/handling compromise that is surprisingly well balanced. I think Jaguar hit the sweet spot with the 5.0 cars at release. The more aggressive ones are a little less traditional Jaguar. The lighter XK, especially without 20" wheels, is supposed to be the most balanced driver.

The following 2 users liked this post by neilr:
hisport (09-04-2020), MarkyUK (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 08:19 AM

Great; thank you Neilr!
You put your finger on it perfectly: Its that "balanced driver" sweet spot that I'm really seeking. The taut "ride /handling compromise that is surprisingly well balanced". (The best BMW M cars used to have it; ditto some 911's and particularly Audi S cars, though not so much anymore, IMHO... My old XJR has it, though in a very unsophisticated way.)
- Been reading through some of the X150 threads, and have come across the 5.0 timing chain issue in spades. Reviewed lots of old info; was this ultimately a recall? Ultimately fixed sometime in 2012 (USA) model year? ? (Assume earlier 5.0 cars can be retrofitted with revised tensioners?)
- With X350 Jags, suspension issues are a real plague (perished bushings; leaking air struts, etc). How so the X150?

(Marky - thanks for your advice
- I didn't like the XJR ACC at first either, but have come to use it more and more on long trips - particularly on the two lane "Blue Highways" I prefer
- Yeah; seems Jag (with the Dynamic R and other top X150 models?) may be doing what other have done: make a "lap time special", at the expense of daily civility. These are great fun, but can get a little tiresome on the open road, in my experience

Old 09-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

My observation over the years of enjoying browsing:

Asking prices on XK's are still going down.

Asking prices on XKR's leveled off.

hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by hisport
- Been reading through some of the X150 threads, and have come across the 5.0 timing chain issue in spades. Reviewed lots of old info; was this ultimately a recall? Ultimately fixed sometime in 2012 (USA) model year? ? (Assume earlier 5.0 cars can be retrofitted with revised tensioners?)
- With X350 Jags, suspension issues are a real plague (perished bushings; leaking air struts, etc). How so the X150?
The actual number of XK and XKR cars with timing chain problems is not so clear. Only a few actual case seem to be talked about ... Finding the actual point when the chain and tensioners were updated is not obvious to me but they are backwards-compatible. There was no actual recall. If we want them changed, we pay.

The suspension is actually quite similar to the X350. Bushes will eventually go but are any cars that different. One point often made by car engineers is not to replace rubber bushes with "poly" ones. They don't twist but some of the joints in the complex suspension need a degree of flexibility. The electronically controlled dampers seem reliable.

Generally, wear items are reasonably priced for a car of this performance and rarity. Because they depreciate rather fast and are quite cheap to buy, some people may think that running cost will be similarly cheap. Not completely true but not too frightening.

The following 2 users liked this post by neilr:
Cee Jay (09-04-2020), hisport (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 11:38 AM

My observation over the years of enjoying browsing:

Asking prices on XK's are still going down.

Asking prices on XKR's leveled off

- (Thanks, Tervurin. I've contacted a wholesale car broker and asked that he look and see if any '10 - '15 coupes in the pipeline; both XK and XKR. Most of the ones I see online seem to have been bought wholesale by small highline dealers)

Generally, wear items are reasonably priced for a car of this performance and rarity. Because they depreciate rather fast and are quite cheap to buy, some people may think that running cost will be similarly cheap. Not completely true but not too frightening.

- (Thanks NeilR. I'm fine with doing some refurb work on whatever I end up with. And, yes, have learned the hard way - pun intended - about ply bushes on street cars! )

Old 09-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

The 5.0 engines are direct inject. I'm not a fan of DI myself and would opt for the 09 to avoid it. I also (and I can't explain why I feel this way), dislike the round knob shift selected on the 2010 onward. You're already familiar with the reliability of the 4.2 SC.

The 5.0 has water pump issues and starting to read more about timing chain tensioners as noted above.

No air ride obviously on the X150 so your ride will be harsher by comparison but only by comparison to the smoother riding XJR.
The XK is a smooth ride too and as mentioned, a bit noisier. If you opt for 20" wheels, throw that smooth ride comment out the window imo.

Plenty of leg room in the cabin but note it sits lower than your XJR. I went from an 05 SV8 so I'm familiar with what you have and where you're going. I went with the N/A engine but admit I do miss the giddy up of the SC from the to time.

Suspension wear is as common on the XK as it is on all Jags and the parts are interchangeable with fords, Lincolns, etc (though I don't know if the parts interchange with the 2010 onward as the 07-09) but others will know.

my 2 cents.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

They're all good but as far as looks goes you can't beat the 2012 up with the full face lift...

hisport (09-04-2020)

Quick Reply: XKR; Best Years?