XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR; Best Years?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Maybe that’s the problem, I don’t drive them hard enough...but in all seriousness all of the 5 & 3 litre motors across all JLR platforms have used the same parts, both of mine have had the same parts fail at various mileages, and the nearest main dealer have confirmed it is not a matter of if, it’s when will they fail. I know because I attempted to have JLR take care of the numerous problems and complied documented data from multiple sources.

Also CeeJay, didn’t you have to replace your injectors recently? Now while I have been fortunate to not have this problem, it is another common failure point on these motors.

The following users liked this post:
hisport (09-08-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 11:52 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

What fun!
Of course you are ALL wrong. My '07 coupe feels like a pair of old levi's or old italian gloves... and in all these years she has very rarely let me down.
And what is best... are those classic '07 looks... as opposed to another car with wrap around led lighting.
Mine is the best.
( but that's not to say I wouldn't consider giving her a birthday present of the 5.0 supercharged... but you can keep that electronic diff. I want a mechanical one )

Wait a sec... injectors are a wear item. And they are not built by Jaguar. as are filters, bushings, brakes, ... even my 40 year old volvo marine diesel gets new injectors every 7 - 10 years...

Last edited by guy; 09-08-2020 at 12:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
elindo (09-09-2020), hisport (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
........................ Also CeeJay, didn’t you have to replace your injectors recently? Now while I have been fortunate to not have this problem, it is another common failure point on these motors.
I don't know about COMMON, as I can only recollect three other forum members who have had this problem. Four people out of.......... 300? Total guess on my part, but easily up towards that number. Make it ONE hundred. Still only a 4% chance.
I blame the crappy fuel I'd been using. I also got it off-lease, so who knows what was ran through it before I got it.

jahummer (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Again for clarification​​​​​, I am not limiting this to the 2010-2015 X150 but including ALL JLR products using this motor which is I the hundreds of THOUSANDS, not the hundreds.

Yes like most manufacturers the “parts” are not actually manufactured by the marque and not all the blame can be directed at JLR however they do have a hand in the design and implementation.

also for the record of the dozens of cars I have owned including some with GDI I have NEVER had a failed injector.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:09 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
You have to look at the numbers, there were FAR fewer X150s made and sold than any other JLR model.

I can tell you from personal experience (I have 2 late model cars with the newer motors) as well as others I have known, the 2010+ cars are FAR less reliable than the 4.2s....entire cooling system failures multiple
times including water pumps, radiators, all coolant hoses/pipes, gaskets, timing chain tensioners, pulleys & belt
tensioners, etc.

Yes you do get a more powerful motor and that’s really all you get of significance unless you consider the XKR-S.

If all you want is a reliable X150 GT cruiser, find a well cared for R version of the 4.2 and spend the extra budget money on so preventive maintenance and perhaps any cosmetics or updates/upgrades.
That was actually my choice when I bought my car. I had plenty of budget for a 5.0 model and looked at a few. Then I discovered the forum here and read a lot of background stuff. Right or wrong, it all pointed me to a 4.2 supercharged model. I saved some money and my choice seems to have worked out well for me since my 2008 model has had zero issues to date.

I do prefer the front end of the later models but HST, the 2008 is just beautiful and, some would say, more 'pure' to Ian Callum's original design masterpiece. Reliability was very important to me (I come from a long line of Porsche 911s, not one of which ever needed a thing doing outside routine maintenance and consumables).

The condition of my 2008 car was better than some of the later cars I looked at (and is still immaculate to this day). So I was (and am) happy with my choice. I can't see me parting with this car.

The following 4 users liked this post by barnsie:
hisport (09-09-2020), jahummer (09-09-2020), kj07xk (09-09-2020), Sean W (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Once again, thanks all. Wonderful forum, this...

- Yeah, I get that its the horror stories (not the happy ones) which tend to accumulate online

- Still, I've expanded my search to include the '07 - '09 X150's, and (as Barnsie explains, above), think I'd be quite happy with a nice XKR of that vintage
(...plus, I've already sorta' broached the SC 4.2L learning curve, thanks to a quite strict ownership upbringing by Nanny). Now, to find a matching XKR coupe in proper BRG (or "JRG") livery...

Old 09-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I saw an '07 in indigo blue with caramel interior (my personal favorite color combination) and only 28K just came up in Arizona this week. Not many pictures of it and no Carfax so don't know details.
I think I saw it on AutoTrader... Watson Chevrolet.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by hisport
Once again, thanks all. Wonderful forum, this...

- Yeah, I get that its the horror stories (not the happy ones) which tend to accumulate online

- Still, I've expanded my search to include the '07 - '09 X150's, and (as Barnsie explains, above), think I'd be quite happy with a nice XKR of that vintage
(...plus, I've already sorta' broached the SC 4.2L learning curve, thanks to a quite strict ownership upbringing by Nanny). Now, to find a matching XKR coupe in proper BRG (or "JRG") livery...
TBH, you can't really go wrong, IMO, with any of these cars. For the type of car they are, they are probably the most reliable and least costly to own of all of them. And certainly one of the most gorgeous to look at it. I can hardly believe how inexpensive they are to buy!

ralphwg (09-09-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I can only speak to the 2008 XKR convertible I own. 08 was the last year that Ford's premium auto group owned Jaguar. I do all my own work on the car and it has been very reliable. Mostly maintenance and small fixes for which this forum is a big help. I went thru the same exercise a few years ago when I was searching for a Jag. My choice mostly came down to price and found the 07-09 XK's to be in a good value range for what is available on this model. Convertible was a must and an XKR over XK was preferred. It is nice to hear reports of value leveling off. According to major auction houses, these type of cars tend to join an appreciation curve at around 15 years old. This is good news as I am actively selling. Lower mileage and condition are big factors as with most vehicles. So, good time to buy value-wise. 420HP from the XKR is plenty of power. Very comfortable and stylish seats and interior. Timeless body design. Many lookers tell me they like my new car and are surprised when I tell them it is a 2008 with 70K miles.

Ask lots of questions, it is a big purchase and time should be taken to make sure you get the right vehicle for you!

Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Woah, lots of chatter in here. Let me share my experience with what I own.

I have a 2010 XKR. I bought it about 9 years ago with 2k on the odo. ~45k on it now. I work from home even pre-covid, so mileage on it is just to client sites. Outside of a stupid TPMS issue this year, my XKR has been flawless - literally just fluid changes, brake pads, and tires. Every year when she goes in for service at the local jag shop we check the water pump for leakage, but so far so good and no issues. It is my favorite car for driving any distance at all. it's quiet, comfortable, and the 5L has torque to rival a freight train. Going up and down 101 on the coast may get a few passes going on that easily pass... oh wait, public forum. /grins What I'm trying to get at, is that the XKR is a great driving companion. It is definitely NOT a sports car though. She's big, and shimmies a little over the rough stuff (as mine is a convertible). I prefer driving the XKR to both my 350z and my wife's 718. The 718 is an amazing car, but it's a legit sports car. Not really a good distance cruiser.

I liked this drivetrain so much, that I just picked up a 2011 XJL SuperSport w/60k or so miles. History had the water pump replaced about 5 years ago under warranty, and got a good bill of health after we got it inspected by my local shop.

I guess my point is that they're really great cars. Exceedingly beautiful, and unquestionably rare. I may know of a local 2010 XKR coupe if you're interested.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rahtok:
barnsie (09-11-2020), Cee Jay (09-10-2020), jahummer (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I was not happy with my 2008 XKR , at 18,000 miles sitting in climate controlled garage dashboard, door panels, rear quarter interior trim leather BUCKILING OFF TERRIBLE QUALITY!
WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER RAGGIDY JAG!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A wealth of buying advice to date. You might also consult the latest edition of Jaguar World, a wonderful British mag. The latest edition offers late model XK buying advice.Barnes and Noble often carries this quality magazine. I broke down and subscribed earlier this year. Pricey but worth the read.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

2015, the year they stopped making it

Old 09-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just FYI, my 07' XKR coupe hold two stand golf bags in X pattern in trunk no problem!

Don't know what clubs you carry, but my 07' XKR coupe can carry two standard stand bags in an X layout in the trunk no problem with clothes bags in backseat and the wife & I are off on a golf adventure!!
Originally Posted by Sean W
I love Montana! Every time I go, it's a great time.
Honestly it was hard to go from the 4.2 SC to the N/A at first but yes I love the car. I have the coupe. It'll be my last car barring some unforeseen inheritance.
Longest drive I've taken it was 12 hours and it performed well and my back didn't suffer. I'm 6'3" 187 and have a bad back and I was comfortable. Headroom and leg room not an issue. You won't get a set of golf clubs in either the coupe or vert btw. It was a day trip. fastest I drove it was 119 I think and it just hugged the road while my wife screamed at me. I would definitely drive it across country if the opportunity arises. Warden says otherwise as she needs a boatload of luggage.

I understand the appeal of the newer model and I also like the facelift. I was able to "upgrade" the electronics (iPod) and rear view camera brought to us through Cambo. I also upgraded the stock base sound system to the premium, again, courtesy of Cambo's posts. I have no other upgrades of significance. If you get behind the wheel of a 5.0, I suspect you're not going to be happy with anything less from what I read here and I believe them. If you go with the pre 2010, I would look for the 09.
The 07 -09 have the same engine, transmission as you have. The SC will have the same valley hose issues as the XJ. The 2010 onward still use the same transmission. Suspension bushes and arms are the same as well (except the XK doesn't have the air ride.
The 5.0 has electronic dipstick so oil changes on her would be different. I really don't pay much attention to the 5.0 issues but you seem to be aware. DI have the same long term issues regardless of make/ model of car and they're pretty well known in the car universe. The 5.0 water pump is on its umpteenth version, with some having success and others not as much on replacements. Others have had no issue but that issue is found in the other Jag forum pages with the 5.0 engines as well as the timing chain issues.

I have SDD and do my own work as well. Almost all of it has been fluid changes and piddly crap.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by gjjaguar
Don't know what clubs you carry, but my 07' XKR coupe can carry two standard stand bags in an X layout in the trunk no problem with clothes bags in backseat and the wife & I are off on a golf adventure!!
hehe I wish gjjaguar. Don't know what to say except I've tried it and they don't fit. Not even close. I can get my wife's in there if I pull the woods out and lay them in separately but that's it. Glad you don't have issues though and I'm fine with running her SRX to the club. As long as we can find a way to golf, that's all that matters anyway:-)

Old 09-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 13 XK with the portfolio package and feel the torque and handling to be great! Comfortable with hot and cooled seats, adaptive steering and Cruise. Just an amazing car! Had 30K miles last Dec when I got it for 29500 and no issues yet. About 37000 now. Great handling and very comfort ya be on the hiway. I can’t park or gas it up without someone commenting on how great lookint it is! The 20 in tires grip like crazy and look great and from the rear just narly! Ohh and Wilkes and Bare stereo is very good! With Sirius. I love it!