XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR = a keeper

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I understand "showpieces" or giant sized paperweights. I haven't driven my Pantera, this year. Went to take it out last weekend, and carb was leaking gas unto the manifold through bottom seal. Toyed with letting it burn, since it's insured for a hefty sum, but I'd miss looking at it once in a while.

Attached Thumbnails XKR = a keeper-vp__3940-1280x853-.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Always feel bad seeing someone selling a once-loved car, like your Supra. But, you are correct, we need to move on. I actually hardly driven my RX-7 since I smogged it over a year ago. I just returned it to the full power setup a couple of days ago and finally took it for a ride; which reminded he how incredibly good the car was. Still, I should probably sell it but, realistically I could not get anywhere the monies that car is worth. So, I am holding onto it as a gorgeous display item :-). It costs very little for upkeep, licence and insurance so, it is not a drain on my finances.
The Supra turned heads everywhere it went, but so does the new one, and it's so much nicer to drive being 20 years improved. It made it easier to part with because the buyer was a Supra fanatic, and he valued it $10k more than I paid for it 13 years earlier, and paid $42.5k. He appreciated the performance mods I had added for a few thousand and a hundred track events earlier, and plans to do some driving schools and enjoy it as I had. I was glad that he pursued the car, and I was delighted to call him one day to say it's yours.

I bet there's an RX7 fanatic out there that would pay huge money for your car, and he may not even have any interest in tracking it. Take it for a spin to some Cars and Coffee nights and I bet you'll be approached asking if you'd ever sell it! I told my buyer I get tempted the odd time because I seldom drive it, and then he had trouble sleeping until I said yes.

I'm not sure comparing the RX7 rates to the XKR's is meaningful as the cars are so completely different, and it's the wheel rate which matters in the end. I really mentioned the Supra's rates for that reason and to illustrate the importance of valving. The biggest difference in valving among the Supra dampers was in their "high (shaft) speed" dyno curves which indicate their handling of rough surfaces that you mentioned, as opposed to the "low shaft speed" curves covering the handling of body motion from weight transfer in cornering/braking acceleration. It's the high-speed curve that I think is responsible for your comments on the XKR's ride quality, and responsible for reduced traction, where I felt the body motion control was dead on even when pushed hard on the track. Either way I hope you just get used to it...or find better roads!

Bruce

Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello akr6, great post! how much was your warranty? thanks

Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Axr6, sorry for the redundant question you answered it!